Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Action Tortoise posted:

Some of the clothing stores weren't that great in SR2 like On the Rag anyways. Most of the stores were merged together like Friendly Fire and Brass Knuckles. I wish Branded was still its own thing though. The Greek-themed gift shop always had great stuff.

The main thing that was better about the shops in SR2 was just the fact that you had to drive around and explore to find all the available clothes. You'd think you'd found everything and then you'd spot some other shop you didn't know about and there'd be some cool clothes in there you hadn't seen yet. Even if they couldn't keep layering, that variety of shops alone would have made playing dress-ups in SR3 and SR4 much better.

Also, not including literally every shop item in the Initiation/Inauguration station. That's handy for after you've already played the game and just want to mess around in the character creator, but it kind of ruins the in-game clothes shops since there's nothing you can get there that isn't easier to get in the character creator and just import.

Rocketlex posted:

Would have been way cooler if her worst nightmare was secretly Zimos then.

I mean think about it. That would be an awesome revelation.

I had absolutely no problem with Cyrus being Kinzie's nightmare, because he was a major antagonist to the Saints and her projecting the characteristics she most hates and fears onto him makes perfect sense, but my god, that is a brilliant idea. It would be great to get some acknowledgement that Zimos was creepy and unpleasant and I would love to have the opportunity to kill him. Plus then he could have been made a defeated enemy homie (like Maero, Veteran Child, etc.), allowing those who actually liked him to get him back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

Medullah posted:

Okay, I'm on Asha's loyalty mission where she's driving around and I'm shooting bad guys (Training Day)...problem is, there are no longer and bad guys, and she's just driving around slow as hell, in random directions, away from the blue triangle.

Anyone have this bug out before? Or is just a long rear end mission?

edit* okay, after 15 minutes of Driving Simulator 2000 I reset the mission. Definitely bugged.
I had that happen during Matt's loyalty mission Nyteblde was just cruising around like it was Sunday morning while I followed.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Right, I'm saying that since Miller is one of your bros now and they learn to work together they couldn't use the Deckers stuff for Kinzie's nightmare. Thus they had to come up with something else that didn't really work in my opinion. Most of the other homies are confronted with encounters with past enemies or a past failure as their nightmare (because these are things the player knows from past games and can relate to, with the exception of Asha who is a new character and has to explain it), Kinzie's past conflict was with the Deckers.

I think in general Matt was made an ally so that there was slightly less Kinzie in the story, she's already such a big part of everything that letting another hacker character handle some of the stuff gave her a rest once in a while.

I think they should of had a mission or something where Matt and Kinzie patch things up and learn to get along. Kind of like Shaundi and Fun Shaundi's loyalty mission. But I guess that would involve combining Matt and Kinzie's loyalty missions and I don't want to lose my Nyteblade fanfic!

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Weapon artist posted this:

All of the weapons!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

The main thing that was better about the shops in SR2 was just the fact that you had to drive around and explore to find all the available clothes. You'd think you'd found everything and then you'd spot some other shop you didn't know about and there'd be some cool clothes in there you hadn't seen yet. Even if they couldn't keep layering, that variety of shops alone would have made playing dress-ups in SR3 and SR4 much better.

Eh. There were 4 clothing chains in SR2. I don't think they ever really changed selection depending on location. Each sold a different formal level of clothing (Cheap crap, not-as-cheap crap, business/casual, and professional) Planet Saints kinda just folded those into one, plus throwing the jewelry chain.

There were a bunch of little one off stores, mostly in the mall (Let's Pretend, Nobody Loves Me, and Leather & Lace) and some themed gift shops in attractions (Museum, Caverns, University).

I kinda wish there was some more themed stuff, but they also didn't really go as crazy with the interior maps in SRTT as in SR2.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Anybody know if there's been a decent Harrison Ford made by somebody? I tried googling it but nothing came up. My friend and I want to do Blade Runner characters...

One of you clearly needs to be Han Solo.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Toffile posted:

I kinda wish there was some more themed stuff, but they also didn't really go as crazy with the interior maps in SRTT as in SR2.

Yeah, it's sad that I keep being really amazed when an "open door" icon appears on a building during a mission and they let me go inside.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Matlock posted:

Weapon artist posted this:

All of the weapons!

Where do the pixelated rifle and the lever-action one come from?

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
I've been playing through SR2 again and yeah, thinking back what I ended up missing most were the indoor areas, the clothing diversity options, and the more challenging side missions. Actually playing through it most of that stuff doesn't bug me, but just going back to that old open world map is amazing.

They put so much detail into it, you don't even have to ever go indoors to feel like you're in a different place when you drive from the barrio to the truckyard district to downtown to the university campus or whatever. SR3 and 4 maps kind of honestly just feel like a big box with a bunch of clone stamped buildings everywhere. There's some effort to add some landmarks but they just feel slapped on there without the attention to little details everywhere that SR2 had.

What I miss most from 3/4 going back to 2 is mostly the animation - walking and running look kind of janky, some of the weapon firing poses are just downright weird. The lack of the roll is actually kind of bothersome since I apparently tended to just Legend of Zelda my way everywhere on foot. I think 3 also toned down the whole "cars dissapear when you look behind you" thing from every open world game since forever thing but I'm not sure.

A Stupid Baby fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 3, 2013

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Where do the pixelated rifle and the lever-action one come from?

Those are skins for the sniper rifle.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Those are skins for the sniper rifle.

You mean I have to give up my Dubstep gun to play cowboy? Unacceptable.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Celestatiune posted:

I've been playing through SR2 again and yeah, thinking back what I ended up missing most were the indoor areas, the clothing diversity options, and the more challenging side missions. Actually playing through it most of that stuff doesn't bug me, but just going back to that old open world map is amazing.

They put so much detail into it, you don't even have to ever go indoors to feel like you're in a different place when you drive from the barrio to the truckyard district to downtown to the university campus or whatever. SR3 and 4 maps kind of honestly just feel like a big box with a bunch of clone stamped buildings everywhere. There's some effort to add some landmarks but they just feel slapped on there without the attention to little details everywhere that SR2 had.

What I miss most from 3/4 going back to 2 is mostly the animation - walking and running look kind of janky, some of the weapon firing poses are just downright weird. The lack of the roll is actually kind of bothersome since I apparently tended to just Legend of Zelda my way everywhere on foot. I think 3 also toned down the whole "cars dissapear when you look behind you" thing from every open world game since forever thing but I'm not sure.

I am just now playing through SR2 for the first time myself and oh my god is the animation janky as hell. It's not so bad once you get used to it, but it is a huge shock coming from 3 and 4.

The cars thing is stupidly hilarious too. I was on the highway just spinning around in circles and no cars would ever get to me because I guess they just vanish as soon as they go out of view. This is especially annoying when you see something parked in a lot. DON'T LOOK AWAY as you head there or it might not be there when you arrive.

I see what people are saying about Steelport not feeling as varied. I think steel port has more interesting landmarks but not more interesting areas. Nnot as many types of areas either.

What is really missing from 4 is the parts where you have to go defend an area. It would have definitely helped out the end game quests as well. The crib customizations are a void that's not really filled either. I know why it's not there, but maybe something like sprucing up the ship or something could have replaced it. I guess getting new crew members and getting to go talk to them is what we get instead, but I miss that stuff.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
It's just a different game design philosophy I think. It's also possible that they didn't go into as much detail on the map for performance issues - SR2 can look pretty alright in places, since it does a lot with just textures glued onto flat surfaces, but I doubt they'd get away releasing another game that looked like SR2. They also decided to focus a lot more on the story and scripted elements, which have been really good.

Maybe when the new generation of consoles hits we'll see another Stillwater level of detail map since the primary install base's hardware can handle it. Or maybe they've just decided that sort of thing isn't really worth doing it because not everyone wants to spend a lot of time replaying their games anymore.

If you can put up with the level of jank SR2 has, you might want to check out Mercs 2 if you can even find a copy somewhere. You'll have to find a widescreen fix, and the game has a lot of issues but it has a lot of that feeling that SR2 and GTA:SA did that's missing from modern open world games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just finished, what an excellent ending. Way, way more games need to convince me that the staff are really, really enjoying themselves making it.

edit: the ending definitely made me want a return to Saint's Row 1 or 2 but with a bunch of crazy poo poo including Jane Austen as a homie.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 3, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only devs that enjoy what they do as much as Volition are probably Croteam, the guys that make Serious Sam. They know their game is a big dumb murder tons of mooks simulator and love it.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Finally got it done last night. AAA+++, would buy again in a heartbeat.

My main real issue (and even then it wasn't a major problem) was that I thought they could have handled "how/why is Johnny not dead?" a little better. I can totally buy Zinyak wanting him out of the way, but I would probably have done it a little differently, like have him have been taken down but not dead with Loren hanging onto him for either future leverage or to try to incorporate into the Brute cloning schtick (can you imagine bizarre hybrid clones of Oleg and Johnny Gat? Terrifying.) and have Zinyak confiscate him somewhere after that. I mean, Johnny's tough and all but he's never been presented as completely untouchable- he gets the snot kicked out of him at one point or other in both 1 and 2 so I'd still be fine with something like that.

The Keith David betrayal thing was a little confusing too- I didn't really get the abrupt about-face from "all I have to do is kill you" to "aw poo poo i cant let those aliens get you after all." I've heard that this can be explained by the whole mind control thing having been going on for a while before the They Live mission, though, which does make sense, but if there was any confirmation of that, I missed it.

Apart from these, my only complaint is that there isn't MORE of it. Everything else is pure gold. The romance stuff all ranged from hilarious to almost sweet and is, as everyone else seems to be saying, worlds better than what it's making fun of. Even gonna voice what I think may be a mildly unpopular opinion and say that I even liked Gat's. But that's mainly because I find the idea of the Boss having a weird thing for him for ages to be more amusing than I really should.

And lastly, Volition, goddammit don't tell me I have a time machine and then not let me go rescue Oleg dammit (and maybe Birk too since he was there and I think he's funny.) If there is not at least DLC with that sort of thing I will be sad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zeth posted:

The Keith David betrayal thing was a little confusing too- I didn't really get the abrupt about-face from "all I have to do is kill you" to "aw poo poo i cant let those aliens get you after all." I've heard that this can be explained by the whole mind control thing having been going on for a while before the They Live mission, though, which does make sense, but if there was any confirmation of that, I missed it.

The way I interpreted it, Keith really was going the way of the betrayer, until he saw the boss get the poo poo kicked out of them. He immediately changed his mind because that made him realize that the aliens are dicks and he doesn't want his friends/homies to get killed.

Hell, it could just be bad writing too. Who knows.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

Well, since Keith is involved, the first thing I thought was "Put on the glasses!" "NOOO!!!!" levels of writing.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I think what would help Steelport as a city is if they grouped the build types into general areas. Have all the industrial stuff near the 3 count, the houses near the nuclear plant and the commerce stuff near where Viola's place was. There's also a lot of generic buildings that just don't fit into a category and are used as "filler" and I think that's the main reason Steelport feels so bland.

I do understand that they were pressed for time though, if you go back and drive around Stilwater, you'll see that literally every single building/ building clusters are different. That's a pretty impressive feat and I could see doing that would add months to development. I honestly hope the lack of interiors and variety is because of the hardware limitations and not so much a "we don't want to do it" type of thing.

All in all, after digesting it a bit, I think I like this one better than SR2. Mission/cutscene replay would have definitely put it over the top, but I know it'll be coming with mods.

E:We really do need a Jane Austen homie, I hope she becomes one with the DLC down the line. Hell the model is in place, just get the VA to come back.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The way I interpreted it, Keith really was going the way of the betrayer, until he saw the boss get the poo poo kicked out of them. He immediately changed his mind because that made him realize that the aliens are dicks and he doesn't want his friends/homies to get killed.

I'm going to guess this was simply a matter of time and/or budget. I bet there were going to be multiple missions along that plot thread but they couldn't get it all in. They still wanted to have Roddy Piper as a homie though so it got reduced to a single mission.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lyer posted:

I think what would help Steelport as a city is if they grouped the build types into general areas. Have all the industrial stuff near the 3 count, the houses near the nuclear plant and the commerce stuff near where Viola's place was. There's also a lot of generic buildings that just don't fit into a category and are used as "filler" and I think that's the main reason Steelport feels so bland.

I do understand that they were pressed for time though, if you go back and drive around Stilwater, you'll see that literally every single building/ building clusters are different. That's a pretty impressive feat and I could see doing that would add months to development. I honestly hope the lack of interiors and variety is because of the hardware limitations and not so much a "we don't want to do it" type of thing.

Even just the architecture itself aside, I really liked how each area in SR2 had distinct pedestrians and vehicles. Maybe SR3/4 have that to some extent, but they weren't different enough for me to notice in the slightest.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

Kibayasu posted:

I'm going to guess this was simply a matter of time and/or budget. I bet there were going to be multiple missions along that plot thread but they couldn't get it all in. They still wanted to have Roddy Piper as a homie though so it got reduced to a single mission.

It definitely did feel like there should have been more to it. Plus there's the whole "And then Keith David was not seen again until the Dance Party Scene" thing. Which on one hand isn't completely out there because iirc he left the ship but on the other nobody ever said anything about that again afterward which smells like cut content to me.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Crowetron posted:

You mean I have to give up my Dubstep gun to play cowboy? Unacceptable.
My single biggest weapon complaint with SRTT and SRIV is sniper rifles being considered "special" weapons and not rifles. There's some great fun to be had in tooling around with a giant overpowered fuckoff cannon, but you never want to use it because it replaces your Funsplosions. I absolutely love shooting dudes off XORs or having a buddy TK pedestrians to see how many you can nail flying through the air, but dubstep/freedom/mines/abduction are just better in all respects.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
My co-op buddy somehow got to endgame without both bats. Is there somewhere he can pick them up? I assumed M.O.M., but the mascots all seem to have guns.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Spindle posted:

My co-op buddy somehow got to endgame without both bats. Is there somewhere he can pick them up? I assumed M.O.M., but the mascots all seem to have guns.

Has he completed all the virus injections? Probably not, because some of them spawn so many baseball bats it's really improbable he did them without getting one - go do them until you get a legion of Genkis. Barring that, one should be on sale for $100 at Friendly Fire, but I'm not sure what triggers it appearing in their inventory. The SR3 Wrap-Up loyalty mission has a baseball bat in the lobby where you pick up your weapons.

He should already have the tentacle bat unless the deathpatch wiped it out - it's a reward, I think, for the early game customization sidequest?

The dildo bat also occurs in a handful of virus injections, and it's hidden in a little rocky cove on the shore of the northwest island - one of the places that used to hide a collectible in SR3.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 3, 2013

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
He's Kinzie-warning endgame with everything else done. It sounds like something's bugged, because he can't see the tazer for sale either.

e: Got him to restart, and it unfucked. Weird.
Thanks for your help.

Spindle fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 3, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zeth posted:

can you imagine bizarre hybrid clones of Oleg and Johnny Gat?

Yes, because I played The Trouble With Clones.

Zeth posted:

No, it's not confirmed, it just seems likely (to me).

Zeth posted:

The romance stuff all ranged from hilarious to almost sweet and is, as everyone else seems to be saying, worlds better than what it's making fun of. Even gonna voice what I think may be a mildly unpopular opinion and say that I even liked Gat's.

So did I.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

Tiggum posted:

Yes, because I played The Trouble With Clones.

So did I but I apparently forgot about it. :downs:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So I'm sure this is an actual, expected event, but I'm still getting really taken by surprise here. I'm getting triple-teamed, in Virtual Steelport, by the Morningstar, Brotherhood and Vice Kings.

I'm not even sure I want this to stop happening, because trying to get missions done during this mayhem is something special. Is there like, a mod or something that can bring this back if I so choose once it's done?

EDIT: Oh, and the Ronin are here too, apparently. It's a party where everyone's invited!

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 3, 2013

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Just having finished the Vice King's story in Saints Row 1 and uhh.... I don't really see why King was all hung up on it in this 4.
He escapes the takeover and kills Mila Kunis without too much woes or anything. Hell, in the cutscene where they try to kill him in the boardroom and take over the VK's, King just charges over the table with an AK. Warren Williams was the one confronting King about the takeover the most too.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This was totally worth trading in 5 games I haven't touched in a year for. I still have like 9 bucks store credit left over :whatup:

I'm still pretty early on, Kenzie is about to teach me how to hack stores, but I really hope there's more stuff like when she summoned a ridiculous Genki fountain to give me a rocket launcher in the intro. I was kind of disappointed when certain other guns just appeared in my cache upon completing missions, with little fanfare.

I like how traversal is straight-up Prototype now, but with faster sprint and longer glide. I jumped off the top of one of those Zin towers and glided for like a full minute or something before my meter ran out.

I'm gonna make such a dumb superhero costume later in the game. Cowboy hat, son.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Honest to God I have had more fun playing Saints Row 3 & 4 than I have any other game in my life. I love, love, love Last of Us but this is completely different...completely fun. It makes me really sad to know this might be the last one.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Clitch posted:

There's one car that didn't seem to make the jump from SR:TT that I'm sad about. The Vortex. You could make it into such a cool Saintsmobile, I'm sad I don't have one. Running around in the superhero outfit, cleaning up Golds and challenges is a ton of fun.
The Sexy Kitten is based on the Vortex and still exists in the game files. I'm not sure if it shows up in the world, but there's a code if you use IdolNinja's cheats.

I also used the Vortex a ton in SR3, it was my main car for getting from place to place -- it's fast, agile, and small so driving down the center lane without hitting oncoming traffic is easy. But it's also one of the most fragile cars in the game, so it kinda sucks for anything besides being a taxi. So I really don't miss it in SR4, I never use cars for transport unless I've got non-super homies, in which case I want a 4-door anyways.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Honest to God I have had more fun playing Saints Row 3 & 4 than I have any other game in my life. I love, love, love Last of Us but this is completely different...completely fun. It makes me really sad to know this might be the last one.
I completely agree, there are other games that mean more to me, games which I will remember the story or world long after I forget the details of Saints Row. But I've never played a game with a constant smile on my face like this.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Cleretic posted:

So I'm sure this is an actual, expected event, but I'm still getting really taken by surprise here. I'm getting triple-teamed, in Virtual Steelport, by the Morningstar, Brotherhood and Vice Kings.

I'm not even sure I want this to stop happening, because trying to get missions done during this mayhem is something special. Is there like, a mod or something that can bring this back if I so choose once it's done?

EDIT: Oh, and the Ronin are here too, apparently. It's a party where everyone's invited!
If you look at the Quests screen, it should say (in red text) that you will keep getting attacked until you finish the next mission.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

MasonF posted:

If you look at the Quests screen, it should say (in red text) that you will keep getting attacked until you finish the next mission.

I think he knows that. He's asking if there is a mod that makes it keep happening after the mission.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

SurrealityCheck posted:

I didn't actually realise what the phone menu did in this game until right at the end. I simply never used it, so I had no idea how to spawn cars or summon backup :<

SRTT was way better at being a tutorial for base functions like GPS and Phone.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Veotax posted:

I think he knows that. He's asking if there is a mod that makes it keep happening after the mission.

I asked the same thing at one point, It would be really awesome if it could be added as part of a mod. But as of yet nobody has made one.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Tombot posted:

I asked the same thing at one point, It would be really awesome if it could be added as part of a mod. But as of yet nobody has made one.

Because it doesn't need to be, there's a cheat in the base game to enable that mode at any time. Using it disables achievements unless you have the mod that makes it not do that, though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man I am starting to really hate the radio in this game.

I've heard that god damned song they used for Kraft ads a few years back like 500 times so far.

IT'S CRUMBALIEVEABLE!!!!

Just... gently caress man, license more songs or something. SR2 had an amazing radio that didn't repeat nearly as often. Dunno if this is a PS3 thing or what though. Haven't played SR2 on ps3 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Man I am starting to really hate the radio in this game.

I've heard that god damned song they used for Kraft ads a few years back like 500 times so far.

IT'S CRUMBALIEVEABLE!!!!

Just... gently caress man, license more songs or something. SR2 had an amazing radio that didn't repeat nearly as often. Dunno if this is a PS3 thing or what though. Haven't played SR2 on ps3 yet.

Listen to the classical station more. The songs are great, and it has the best DJ.

• Locked thread