Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

How Wonderful! posted:

Dick Grayson in Therapy: Yeah, uh... it's been a... it's been another hard week I guess. You know, just the normal stuff... work.... fighting crime.... um... Babs. You know. You know. She wore the shirt again. It's like she doesn't even know how that feels. God.

Dick: Batman is slapping Robin on that shirt. I'm Nightwing.
Babs: I don't think that means --
Dick: A whole new man.
Dick's Therapist: This is as close to self-actualization as he's going to get, let him have this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The new boss IS Batman

Hopefully it's not the Murder Batman from the SnyderVerse, but the weirdo Murder Batman from the Burton movies.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
First issue of King's new Supergirl book. Not quite my reaction, but it might get there. Right now it's pretty standard swords and sorcery in space-esque stuff and it doesn't feel like there's a specific reason A: Supergirl is the title character for this and B: What she's even doing there in the first place.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh man, they let Tom King write Supergirl?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Any comic that has Krypto get hurt goes right in the trash

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Codependent Poster posted:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
how many war crimes did she commit in the first issue

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Doesn't Tom King have a daughter? Maybe supergirl will be about coming to terms with the secret history of genocide her father and uncle jor-el committed.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Tom King's Supergirl is very much a remake of True Grit, where she is playing the role of Rooster Cogburn. Cogburn was a former Confederate soldier who was trying to drink away his shame from the war, and when we first see Supergirl she's trying to drink away something, so we can look forward to her revealing her trauma/guilt around a campfire in a few issues, I assume.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Honestly, I don't think it was a bad issue or anything. This Supergirl feels more like Linda Danvers than Kara Zor-El to me, but that might not be such a bad thing, and anyway I haven't been keeping up with Kara much. I might even recommend it if I wasn't aware of anything King wrote before now...but, as it stands, we're very much waiting for the other shoe to drop, here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In other Tom King news, I'm more and more happy with Nightwing, as this revelation about Zucco works basically no matter what in my opinion. (And I honestly didn't even notice the t-shirt thing. :shrug:)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Tom King's Supergirl is very much a remake of True Grit, where she is playing the role of Rooster Cogburn. Cogburn was a former Confederate soldier who was trying to drink away his shame from the war, and when we first see Supergirl she's trying to drink away something, so we can look forward to her revealing her trauma/guilt around a campfire in a few issues, I assume.

We'll probably get to that since that would explain why she's drinking off world instead of getting A: Alien liquor that would hyper metabolize while she has powers or B: Getting a dose of Red Sun on Earth and drinking there.

No one knows what to do with Supergirl right now though (not that that's anything new).

Codependent Poster posted:

But also this happens and there's not a resolution at the end of the issue on if Krypto's okay or not.

Btw, new Static reboot is out and while I'm not a fan of the art, I think it's a pretty serviceable modern reboot since gassing protestors is more contemporary than gassing a gang fight, but there's not a whole lot going on right now besides Virgil basically coming to terms with his powers and him facing off again with the person who's effectively his high school nemesis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

In other Tom King news, I'm more and more happy with Nightwing, as this revelation about Zucco works basically no matter what in my opinion. (And I honestly didn't even notice the t-shirt thing. :shrug:)

Are you doing a bit? Please tell me you're doing a bit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What, about famous writer of Injustice and Vision, Tom King? :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

What, about famous writer of Injustice and Vision, Tom King? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Skwirl posted:

Are you doing a bit? Please tell me you're doing a bit.

Tom King and Tom Taylor are in on it. People mix them up so much on Twitter it’s become a running gag.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Tom King and Tom Taylor are in on it. People mix them up so much on Twitter it’s become a running gag.

I know that, I was just trying to figure out if they were intentionally referencing that or actually confusing the two.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Either way you ruined the joke! A+

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

https://twitter.com/DC_Animated/sta...x-scene-removal

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Finally got around to Legend of Wonder Woman. What an absolute loving gem. I felt like it stumbled a little bit at the end, a little rushed to wrap-up maybe, but I've forgiven far worse pacing in far less beautiful works.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

catlord posted:

Finally got around to Legend of Wonder Woman. What an absolute loving gem. I felt like it stumbled a little bit at the end, a little rushed to wrap-up maybe, but I've forgiven far worse pacing in far less beautiful works.

Isn't that the one where the creative team got rocketed from the company?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah LoWW is probably the all-around best WW origin adaptation and it's a travesty that DC cut the sequel because...I don't even remember what the reason was, now. Might've been your run-of-the-mill DC management disasters of the time.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Isn't that the one where the creative team got rocketed from the company?

I don't quite remember the specifics, but yep, DC screwed them over and it's bullshit.

I would have loved to see De Liz and Dillon do a take on the New Gods after Wonder Woman. A Lightray series? The Forever People? I dunno, but it would have been amazing.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is there gonna be more Far Sector? It's weird good space stuff that happens to have a green lantern.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Jo's in the main Green Lantern series (written by Thorne) for the time being, not the same vibe as Far Sector but alright so far.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Space Fish posted:

Jo's in the main Green Lantern series (written by Thorne) for the time being, not the same vibe as Far Sector but alright so far.

How many Lanterns from Earth are there now? This is not a bit, I'm genuinely asking.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Alan Scott*, Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner, Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz, Tai Pham, Kelli Quintela*, Sojourner Mullein, probably a dozen one-time exceptions and deputizations...

*Not official members of the Corps, but they wield green energy through related tools

Tai's from a YA standalone that rules and I hope his bit in the Festival of Asian Heroes anthology means we might see him again soon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't Kelli even more of an asterisk in so far as she doesn't use a normal ring, but John and Jo are mentoring her for the Corps in one of the current books?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Have all the main justice leaguers used a green lantern ring at some point or other in DC history? Is there a moment like Captain America with Thor's hammer where Supes stands wearing a GL ring and holding the lasso of truth and a bat-a-rang?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

bagrada posted:

Have all the main justice leaguers used a green lantern ring at some point or other in DC history? Is there a moment like Captain America with Thor's hammer where Supes stands wearing a GL ring and holding the lasso of truth and a bat-a-rang?

I remember Batman and Wonder Woman have used a ring before during the lantern war (Bats got Yellow, WW got Violet). Barry/Wally might've gotten a Blue ring before. I don't remember. But Green rings specifically, there might've been a time when Hal or someone did a mass deputization for some reason or another, but I also don't recall.

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't Kelli even more of an asterisk in so far as she doesn't use a normal ring, but John and Jo are mentoring her for the Corps in one of the current books?

She's being mentored, partially because they want to study her gauntlet, but she absolutely refuses to take it off. And it's Simon who was put on babysitting duty and Jo showed up because the other Earth lanterns were not on the planet. The only three lanterns with powers with that point are Jo (her's generates Willpower on its own without a battery at the cost of it being really slow to recharge), Kelli (again, not technically a lantern but also not revealed how it works), and Hal (his ring is forged from his own willpower and generates his own like Jo, but more potently)

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 18, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Superman used a GL ring in an alt future, Ollie used a ring once or twice. Barry got a blue ring. A couple dozen heroes got black rings, like 8 got white rings. Batman had a yellow ring for 2 pages.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Superman used a GL ring in an alt future, Ollie used a ring once or twice. Barry got a blue ring. A couple dozen heroes got black rings, like 8 got white rings. Batman had a yellow ring for 2 pages.

Didn't Batman try and use a green ring but it was too hard for him or some dumb poo poo?

Evil Supes in the Injustice comic has a yellow ring for a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Batman try and use a green ring but it was too hard for him or some dumb poo poo?

Evil Supes in the Injustice comic has a yellow ring for a while.

Batman could have used the GL ring but he would have had to get over his childhood fear so he couldn't do it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Xelkelvos posted:

I remember Batman and Wonder Woman have used a ring before during the lantern war (Bats got Yellow, WW got Violet). Barry/Wally might've gotten a Blue ring before. I don't remember. But Green rings specifically, there might've been a time when Hal or someone did a mass deputization for some reason or another, but I also don't recall.

You're thinking of Blackest Night. Hal turned on the deputization function of the other Corps rings to bring in support for the battle against Nekron. Batman was supposed to get the Yellow ring (it had been going after him for a while IIRC?) but he didn't take it so it went to Scarecrow instead.

Mera got Red.
Lex got Orange
Scarecrow got Yellow
Barry got Blue
Ray Palmer got Indigo
Wonder Woman got Violet

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Vandar posted:

Ray Palmer got Indigo

This was a twist. Who knew the Atom was a seriel killer!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

She's being mentored, partially because they want to study her gauntlet, but she absolutely refuses to take it off. And it's Simon who was put on babysitting duty and Jo showed up because the other Earth lanterns were not on the planet. The only three lanterns with powers with that point are Jo (her's generates Willpower on its own without a battery at the cost of it being really slow to recharge), Kelli (again, not technically a lantern but also not revealed how it works), and Hal (his ring is forged from his own willpower and generates his own like Jo, but more potently)

I mean, Alan's powers also seem to work, presumably for the same 'not powered by the central battery' reason.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I think he is still using magic, basically. His weird genie lamp is made out of the same material as the Central Battery I am pretty sure. That swerve into Sci-fi in the late 50s really left Alan Scott in a weird place.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They shot Kyle’s ring into the sun to revive Superman Prime in DC 1,000,000.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think he is still using magic, basically. His weird genie lamp is made out of the same material as the Central Battery I am pretty sure. That swerve into Sci-fi in the late 50s really left Alan Scott in a weird place.

I've never read the og Alan Scott stories, was it explicitly magic before?

I'd just say it was super ancient magic the Guardians replicated with tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I've never read the og Alan Scott stories, was it explicitly magic before?

I'd just say it was super ancient magic the Guardians replicated with tech

In his first appearance, Alan’s power battery was an oil lamp just like Aladdin’s before he turned it into a lantern.