Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i would like to know more

i know post-wwii america was pretty crazy where we were basically reinventing *everything* such as the game of football but i had no idea we were deliberately creating loving accents as well

honestly that’s about as much as i know, after looking it up when it first caught my ear. afaik it was primarily a thing for children of american political dynasties who went to school in new york or massachusetts between the world wars, which bled into radio and such because until the end of ww2 the american english was much more british-like in general

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

President Beep posted:

prefect on the mbta

lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If you haven't read it yet read the book Suburban Nation, it's basically about how all the technocrats came home from WW2 and started remaking the built American landscape using principles they learned from the war.
this sounds like an interesting and intensely depressing read

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

That's a yes on both counts.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's a national tragedy that we didn't all end up with the boston accent being the dominant strain.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i quite like the mid-atlantic accent, but i'm weird

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
that’s cause katherine hepburn was a dime

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's a national tragedy that we didn't all end up with the boston accent being the dominant strain.

that's not an accent, it's a speech impediment

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

all this time i assumed that those famous actors from the 50's were either british or did fake british accents, i didnt realise they trained to talk like that lol

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs: Got this auto-reply from a coworker, in an 8-pt font:

quote:

Beginning 8/2/21 I will begin working on campus again on Monday and Tuesday each week. I will continue to telework Wednesday through Friday.

Why why WHY are people still doing auto-replies??? We all loving get it! And why this one!?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

sounds like they do get it op

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Sr_dNVxs4

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cinci zoo sniper posted:

new england’s boarding schools for american aristocracy. the idea behind mid-atlantic was to combine received pronunciation with the best parts of american english

that and it was used by hollywood as a racist inclusivity thing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

AnimeIsTrash posted:

california stoner accent ie spicoli

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Best names for that goofy mid-atlantic accent is "gold coast lockjaw" or "locust valley lockjaw"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cjs: New team lead is a drudge report kind of guy. He told us the only reason he got the vaccine was for travel.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fortaleza posted:

Best names for that goofy mid-atlantic accent is "gold coast lockjaw" or "locust valley lockjaw"

you've made me think of jim backus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ91FymytWY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQcBXqHBcZM

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkbbG9OA1Pg
took a little longer to get a magoo clip -- some of those old ones are a little "racy" (there's one with a chinese guy... ouch)

prefect fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 1, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

cjs: New team lead is a drudge report kind of guy. He told us the only reason he got the vaccine was for travel.

honestly, if he got the vaccine he can have ivermectin on my tab

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cjs: tornado warning giving me a good excuse to bounce from work early. cats dont seem phased.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Vintersorg posted:

how are your water shoes?

my what

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

u aint got aqua socks over there?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jonny 290 posted:

u aint got aqua socks over there?

i saw some people wearing them when we were at acheron river and springs caus it’s super cold but never in the sea. you can wear your flip flops as you walk down to the water if the pebbles are too ouchy

Apr 7, 2003

It's going down into the fifties tonight and I'm excited as gently caress

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's going down into the fifties tonight and I'm excited as gently caress

we're talking about joe rogan's SpO2 levels in the other thread, not here

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

we're talking about joe rogan's SpO2 levels in the other thread, not here

lmao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
this milder weather has been great. it’s actually pleasant to do things outside now.

Apr 7, 2003

President Beep posted:

this milder weather has been great. it’s actually pleasant to do things outside now.

I did a 64 mile ride two Saturdays ago in 90 F and developed a low level headache that made me want to die.

Gonna do a shitload of miles September-early November I think.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Hell yeah. Also getting cool enough to lager in the cellar so I can do bigger batches instead of being limited to my converted minifridge

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

HVAC guys finally came back and removed the old bigass heater and all the ducting so I've got waaay more cellar space now.

Apr 7, 2003

The global bicycle supply chain is hosed and has been for so long that I bought new chains last November, put them on this March, and found out when they wore out after 900 miles that they were counterfeit trash.

11 speed bicycle chains are still, right now, impossible to find. We have Shimano drivetrains and we're running SRAM and Campagnolo chains because there isn't any Shimano stuff to be had anywhere. I'm terrified of breaking a shifter or something.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
jesus.

remember the era of 2000 through like 2019 or so when you could actually buy things on the internet

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
shipping costs are still 10x what they were before the pandemic, at least per container. makes the entire import-consumption-driven thing impossible at a stroke

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

jesus.

remember the era of 2000 through like 2019 or so when you could actually buy things on the internet

The chains I bought were KMC X11EL chains and there was absolutely nothing about them or the packaging to tell me they were fake, took my poo poo to the bike shop because it sounded like poo poo and I thought I broke the rear cassette. Didn't even think of getting the chains checked because they were damned near new. Turned out the rollers had in excess of 15% 'stretch' (wear) on them lol.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cinci zoo sniper posted:

honestly, if he got the vaccine he can have ivermectin on my tab

Going to car jack Bezos next time he goes into space to get away from these people.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cjs: New team seems cool, and the work we're going to do seems interesting. Hope the team lead can keep his lovely chud opinions to himself.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i would never have even thought to fake a bicycle chain. you probably need a fancy machine to make an 11 speed chain, right? and it's not like they make deliberately low quality fancy machines. so i'm guessing the metal alloy used in genuine ones is stronger and more expensive?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they fake EVERYTHING. one person i know got counterfeit hearing protectors for shooting, and now has permanent ear damage. Name brand, not cheap.

Apr 7, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i would never have even thought to fake a bicycle chain. you probably need a fancy machine to make an 11 speed chain, right? and it's not like they make deliberately low quality fancy machines. so i'm guessing the metal alloy used in genuine ones is stronger and more expensive?

I couldn't tell you the specifics but a quality 11 speed chain lasts 3-4K miles and costs around $50.

If you make a poo poo cheap 11 speed chain that only lasts 900 miles and you sell it for $50, you're probably way ahead.

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.kmcchain.eu/Fake_chains_The_price_of_succes

Ignore the engrish and read that page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

they fake EVERYTHING. one person i know got counterfeit hearing protectors for shooting, and now has permanent ear damage. Name brand, not cheap.

dang that's hosed up