Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The dairy lobby is ok with me, they spread it around. Every year I've been in PEI I get at least one commission from a dairy, usually mugs or awards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Virtual Russian posted:

Sorry I can't be more helpful, if there is something specific I can try to answer. For film, it might be worth reaching out to some people you like and ask them how to get started. It is a world I'm only tangentially aware of.

Nothing to apologize for, my question is out of left field for this thread and I appreciate the moral support if nothing else. But knowing my approach isn’t completely useless is nice too, i will keep at it.

There was a time where I could have gotten into sports photography but in general it’s such a cut throat/impossible “industry “ to break into. I also didn’t want to kill whatever love I have for it. I have two cousins who are medical photographers and that, I don’t think I could do autopsies.

I had also thought of moving a bit towards “goods”, screen printing or something where I could use skills I’ve already learned. Anyway, I wish you success, what you’re doing sounds awesome :)

e: And by awesome I mean, you’re getting by or something. I hope me saying that doesn’t come off too dumb.

digitalist has issued a correction as of 22:09 on May 20, 2024

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Virtual Russian posted:

You just think art is useless, the product of artists is all around you. Basically anything that doesn't look like absolute poo poo, which is less and less these days sadly. NB Arts commissioned a huge study a decade back about the impact of arts funding. Artists generate more GDP than significantly subsidized industries like automakers, and for every dollar put in many more are generated (I forget the exacts, but automakers were like 1:3, while artists were more like 1:5). Best of all, money spent on artists stays in Canada, and the majority is spent in the artists local community. We spend our money close to home, not like big manufacturers that hoard and send profits overseas.

I was referring to the subsidies ubisoft/ea get. public art is good.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Virtual Russian posted:

You just think art is useless, the product of artists is all around you.

There's an oil portrait painter in MTL, which is fantastic. Costs less than a wedding photographer.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

If we are talking fine art it is a touch more complicated. The interwar period is likely the actual highpoint, with the Group of Seven, but the GoS also totally stymied the development of modern art in Anglophone Canada by using all their institutional power to shut out newcomers. Francophone art really flourished in the time period you mentioned, as did pockets of Anglophone art, such as around London, but generally in that time period the Canadian art scene was not making big news. Funding is a nightmare currently, and it doesn't help that the Boomers have a stranglehold on Canada Council and tend to give the funding to those in their clique. CC is getting better, but that won't matter by next year, I'd bet PP dissolves it and replaces it with government having direct control over disbursement, like what happened in NB.

If we are talking culture more broadly, I'd agree with you.

Edit: Something worth mentioning too is how arts funding is very unequal, and how the return for Canadians on their investment is often very poor. On the west coast I found it impossible to find funding and space as a traditional artist. When I finally found a tiny 187sq/ft studio space that I could afford at $650 a month, the city approved a development to knock it down and put in "affordable" spaces for artists. These spaces would be ~500sq/ft being rented at $2,500 a month, with a condition that you must work in the space full-time. I had to teach classes part-time to make ends meet, so I'd never qualify. I looked into this development, and the company had done this in Vancouver too. The "artists" they catered to were all in film, mostly freelance editors, sound people, etc... all working on American productions. Not really a benefit to Canadians at all. Across the multiple buildings being slated for demo there were 37 traditional artists in very cheap spaces, we all lost/are losing spaces so that around 10 "affordable spaces" could go in, plus retail and tech spaces, and of course multiple stories of l*xury c*ndos above!

So we go from many poor artists making a living by producing affordable traditional art that Canadian citizens can afford, appreciate, and encounter to a small cadre of technicians working on large
American cultural industry products that average Canadians will see no benefits from.

Of course, we can't step outside the ideological mind rot of bureaucratic incentives.

Creative people create, whether in art or science or any other field, because of properties they possess, call it a "muse" or whatever.

The best way to stimulate creation is to remove the impediments through things such as stable living conditions and good wages that give creative people time to exercise their impulses and everyone else the time and money to appreciate the fruits of that labor.

No surprise, a capitalist incentive structure for artists just produces more profit-driven activity and hardly liberates any new content.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

public anything is pretty good. there are asphalt paths in parks nearby that are older than me.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I think a huge issue with funding is also how old fashioned and boomer centrique it can be. The model assumes you are a full-time self-employed artist that owns a home with a studio. There has been good effort made to allow other kinds of artists into the fold, but the structure was built on those assumptions.

Well, you see, art is just another product to consume, so of course you'd want artists to be professionals.

Much like ants, specialization breeds efficiency and efficiency is what makes good art. Beep boop.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
I think it would be fantastic if people could be professional artists, but that would simply mean that the grants would be enough to support them + their materials, studio space and whatever else, for a year. So like $80k/a salary plus (art number goes here).

Since we're not actually doing that, are we asking people to starve for their art to get any funding? That's what it reads like.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Oh shoot, ok my bad. Honestly those sound good too though, they employ artists. Artists need art jobs to really advance their skills. I groan and complain about my job from time to time, I make someone else's art 40 hours a week and sign their name, it isn't the most fulfilling thing to do. However, my skills are improving everyday, and I'm getting better and better at business administration. Plus I still do my own art after I'm done. Contrast that with an artist that works serving tables, their skills atrophy, or at best they hold back atrophy with some art making on their own time. |

IMO artists fresh out of training should always go work for someone/some company that knows what they are doing. The old guild system had this figured out, you trained for ~7 years as an apprentice, then you became a journeyman and went to work under various masters, then after a decade or so of that you got raised up to master and took on apprentices. It worked well for centuries and produced all the great artists we know. The modern system is to train for 2 to 4 years in a purely academic setting, then you go work for yourself immediately afterwards. You do half a traditional apprenticeship and then are expected to be a master, it is no wonder something like 95% of fine arts grads leave the field immediately. The people who have succeeded in the new system are those that emulate the capitalist factory owner, they pay others to make for them and collect the profits, any famous prolific artist alive today does this. Just think about famous painters, how can someone make hundreds of oil paintings a year when the old masters made a couple a year maximum?

The Francophone arts scene in Canada is way healthier, I'm inclined to handwave Quebec subsidies away as being good.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

i could have should have been more clear

a big part of my break from work last year was that Legault and the caq gave themselves a 30% raise, they'll pay like 25+% of a wage at ubisoft, and meanwhile i move to quebec from bc and my wage building stuff goes down by 20%

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the rent is too dang high

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why subsidize photographers when expert prompt engineers will soon be able to generate whatever image you want for an affordable monthly subscription?

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

a big part of my break from work last year was that Legault and the caq gave themselves a 30% raise, they'll pay like 25+% of a wage at ubisoft, and meanwhile i move to quebec from bc and my wage building stuff goes down by 20%

They're still loving with the unions delaying signing anything as long as possible, and they're not even matching the ~17% increase for public service workers with unions that weren't part of the Front Commun. And then you have Fitzgibbon laying the groundwork for eventual privatization of Hydro Quebec, and northvolt, and Santé Québec, and well, everything. Can't wait to see them get run out of town, hopefully.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

I think it would be fantastic if people could be professional artists, but that would simply mean that the grants would be enough to support them + their materials, studio space and whatever else, for a year. So like $80k/a salary plus (art number goes here).

Since we're not actually doing that, are we asking people to starve for their art to get any funding? That's what it reads like.

I think it is more that the funding model just doesn't work for a lot of artists. It simply isn't to be counted on. It isn't a replacement for the patronage system, competing for grants/sales creates a whole different set of working circumstances than working under a patron. Even with the best possible grant I can get, $50,000, which I still can't apply for as I need to get more small grants first, that provides money to make fulltime for at the absolute maximum a year, but that is a stretch. Realistically, you only get a couple of those in your life, if any at all. Working for the church decorating a cathedral could provide you with a lifetime of income, and the expectation was that you produced quality, not quantity. These days you must produce a large quantity of work as quickly as possible, artists must all align themselves to the logic of the market.

The starving artist is a bit of a myth, no one is a destitute artist long. It's more that grants are presented as the one way to fund the arts, but they only work for a very specific type of artist, the professional artist that works out of their studio, which they usually own. Often a requirement for a grant is that you have studio space to work in. You don't have to own it, but you need some kind of space, that always costs money. More and more artists are finding it impossible to line up space. So while you can budget into your grant application renting a space, you still need a space, then you need equipment and tools. It all costs money, and if you are somewhere without space, and you are poor, renting all this stuff for a month or two isn't possible. At the end of the day, you just lie and make the art in your rented apartment, no one will check. However, it means that a lot of styles, materials, and techniques are effectively off-limits for working class artists. These are also most often what the public wants to see in art.

This is why the "post-studio movement" is becoming the default way of making that is taught in academia. Instead of art being a process of skilled labour, it becomes one of assembling and recontextualizing pre-made objects (products) in such a way as to produce a new meaning. The "craft" of art becomes marketing, you need a really good well researched artist statement or curatorial paper to back up what is ultimately a bunch of stuff you found or purchased, then put on display together in a meaningful way. Universities love this because a painting class can have like 20 students maximum, students need time with the prof to learn skills. Teach post-studio style and you can run it like a lecture, there are no skills to be taught, only papers to be graded. You can jam so many students into one class that way. Its no wonder art has become synonymous with marketing. I have no fear of AI making a porcelain statue or stoneware mug, but my art friends that all got into advertising (most of the folks I went to UofW with) are terrified. Art has become so diminished that a majority of people think a computer can do it.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
jfc

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Why subsidize photographers when expert prompt engineers will soon be able to generate whatever image you want for an affordable monthly subscription?

... I'm fighting real hard to not try to get PEO to come down hard against this

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

While that all sounds grim, there are still lots of great artists all over making art based on skills. I highly recommend everyone go check out some local art this summer! You'll be shocked to find some amazing talent you no doubt had no idea your city/town has. I always recommend pottery, it takes skill to make, and you get something useful that won't just collect dust. Bonus points that pottery is exceptionally affordable, a mug will usually be just shy of $50, which is great for a piece of art.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Precambrian Video Games posted:

🎶 The took all the trees and put them in a tree museum an algorithm 🎶

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Isentropy posted:

... I'm fighting real hard to not try to get PEO to come down hard against this

Broke: Sandwich artist

Woke: Photographic engineer

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

See yohr problem right away, you work a job that produces a tangible thing instead of a figure in a spreadsheet that another guy on a different continent tries to buy with a spreadsheet with an ecen bigger figurem classic mistake but don't worry we've done a pretty good job of getting rid of all the pesky thing makers since the war ended

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

lol but we didn't ask anyone if they swore an oath of loyalty to Adolf Hitler.

we did, you needed to answer yes to get in

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

Sure we did.

You get +3 bonus points if the answer is yes.

gently caress!!

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Virtual Russian posted:

While that all sounds grim, there are still lots of great artists all over making art based on skills. I highly recommend everyone go check out some local art this summer! You'll be shocked to find some amazing talent you no doubt had no idea your city/town has. I always recommend pottery, it takes skill to make, and you get something useful that won't just collect dust. Bonus points that pottery is exceptionally affordable, a mug will usually be just shy of $50, which is great for a piece of art.

I found this a while back and was trying to overcome the "holy poo poo 50$ for a cup" reaction, but if that's what these things go for, and I get to support a local artist, maybe I'll save up a couple dollars. Their stuff is exceptionally nice, to my untrained eye anyway.

edit: It would help if I included an actual link, but now I'm not sure if this is the one I had stumbled upon.

https://articho.ca/

https://articho.ca/collections/ceramique

digitalist has issued a correction as of 00:00 on May 21, 2024

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

mila kunis posted:

gently caress!!

:godwinning:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I can't even make a ioke about how the above emote is Justin Trudeau cosplaying because the drat truck nuts people have driven that into the ground

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

digitalist posted:

I found this a while back and was trying to overcome the "holy poo poo 50$ for a cup" reaction, but if that's what these things go for, and I get to support a local artist, maybe I'll save up a couple dollars. Their stuff is exceptionally nice, to my untrained eye anyway.

edit: It would help if I included an actual link, but now I'm not sure if this is the one I had stumbled upon.

https://articho.ca/

https://articho.ca/collections/ceramique

It is still a lot of money, I totally get it, if I could sell mine for less I would. I always like to talk about how with handmade pottery they get made one at a time. I work in small batches of course for efficiency, but I can only have my hands on one piece at any time. It isn't like a production line where you just supervise a machine. You are buying a little chunk of an artist's day, where they focused entirely on what you are holding. Not everyone is like this, but I really take the time to make each piece to the absolute best of my ability.

Pottery is cool because of how humble it is, literally dirt from the ground, but it still takes extraordinary skill to make into useful shapes. It is also very working class, you can't really get rich off it, but you can make a solid living. It struggles to be recognized as an artform worthy the title "fine art", but this second tier designation has done wonders to keep away the worst trends in art. Functionality keeps it very grounded, you can do a lot of cool things with clay, but a mug needs to hold liquid and be comfortable. Be sure to check for a smooth rim, a comfy handle, and it should feel lighter than it looks, those are the signs of a professional.

I've seen factories overseas, the conditions those people work in are literally killing them, I wouldn't spend 5 minutes in one without my filtered dustmask. Even the least health and safety conscious ceramicist in North America is much better off due to the lack of access to lead. Those $3.50 walmart mugs are paid for with someone's lungs.

Edit: Looks like nice stuff in that link. Looks like a shop that represents a bunch of artists. I was able to link through to individual artists, if you buy something I'd recommend always checking if you can get it direct. More money for the artist.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 00:27 on May 21, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Virtual Russian posted:

It is still a lot of money, I totally get it, if I could sell mine for less I would. I always like to talk about how with handmade pottery they get made one at a time. I work in small batches of course for efficiency, but I can only have my hands on one piece at any time. It isn't like a production line where you just supervise a machine. You are buying a little chunk of an artist's day, where they focused entirely on what you are holding. Not everyone is like this, but I really take the time to make each piece to the absolute best of my ability.

Pottery is cool because of how humble it is, literally dirt from the ground, but it still takes extraordinary skill to make into useful shapes. It is also very working class, you can't really get rich off it, but you can make a solid living. It struggles to be recognized as an artform worthy the title "fine art", but this second tier designation has done wonders to keep away the worst trends in art. Functionality keeps it very grounded, you can do a lot of cool things with clay, but a mug needs to hold liquid and be comfortable. Be sure to check for a smooth rim, a comfy handle, and it should feel lighter than it looks, those are the signs of a professional.

I've seen factories overseas, the conditions those people work in are literally killing them, I wouldn't spend 5 minutes in one without my filtered dustmask. Even the least health and safety conscious ceramicist in North America is much better off due to the lack of access to lead. Those $3.50 walmart mugs are paid for with someone's lungs.

Edit: Looks like nice stuff in that link. Looks like a shop that represents a bunch of artists. I was able to link through to individual artists, if you buy something I'd recommend always checking if you can get it direct. More money for the artist.

in terms of struggling to be seen as art i highly recommend anyone in southern ontario hit up the clay and glass gallery in kw sometime. not only do they have cool changing exhibits (saw one on throat singing there that was incredible once) but they have a really cool shop that’s only clay and glass works from canadian artists

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MEGUjuke/status/1792584612021153941?t=-fV5TZdDVikpOde40yJ9Qg&s=19

University of Alberta scraping anime gifs to make an AI generation dataset?

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Thanks for taking the time to share this and your experiences, been on the run all day and haven't had the time to sit down and engage as much as I would have liked but it has been interesting.

Also, good idea about buying something direct, I'll try googling the names of artists I find interesting and see if they have their own websites.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

mediaphage posted:

in terms of struggling to be seen as art i highly recommend anyone in southern ontario hit up the clay and glass gallery in kw sometime. not only do they have cool changing exhibits (saw one on throat singing there that was incredible once) but they have a really cool shop that’s only clay and glass works from canadian artists

I can't recommend this place enough, they have an amazing collection, and the gallery shop has an absolutely excellent cross section of Canadian ceramics and glass work (including mine).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Virtual Russian posted:

I can't recommend this place enough, they have an amazing collection, and the gallery shop has an absolutely excellent cross section of Canadian ceramics and glass work (including mine).

yeah i almost called it a gift shop but that has connotations of tacky poo poo and just about everything in the shop is incredible

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

On the flip side, I'd like to think those subsidies helped Micheal McCann produce the soundtrack to Deux Ex - HR; well.... before the whole Eidos thing happened.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

the games subsidies should be limited to independent studios of a certain size. Also the government should give me money no strings attached.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

PhilippAchtel posted:

I can't even make a ioke about how the above emote is Justin Trudeau cosplaying because the drat truck nuts people have driven that into the ground

look at what they've taken from us

And thanks to Virtual Russian for the interesting insight into the world of the workaday Canadian artist. I would happily buy art if I wasn't a poor.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Karach posted:

look at what they've taken from us

And thanks to Virtual Russian for the interesting insight into the world of the workaday Canadian artist. I would happily buy art if I wasn't a poor.

Same lol, you're welcome, it was a good chat.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I really should hit up that clay and glass museum, I was supposed to go with a buddy of mine a few months ago but dude bailed.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/MEGUjuke/status/1792584612021153941?t=-fV5TZdDVikpOde40yJ9Qg&s=19

University of Alberta scraping anime gifs to make an AI generation dataset?

Waiting to see if the Bandera Studies Institute is implicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Saalkin posted:

I really should hit up that clay and glass museum, I was supposed to go with a buddy of mine a few months ago but dude bailed.

On the first Friday of every month all of the art galleries in Winnipeg's historic Exchange District are free to enter and have lots of cool local art for sale. Younger, equally poor me liked this event because it served as a good backdrop for a good cheap first date. But I genuinely saw lots of stuff I would have loved to have taken home with me.

If all goes well i'll finish school and start my apprenticeship by November or so, and apprenticeships in my field actually pay pretty well. Maybe I'll celebrate with a hand-crafted mug that doesn't look or taste like diarrhea.