Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AG3 posted:

You can also buy motes, gas and crystals from the galactic market once you've managed to mine/refine some for yourself, though for larger empires the cost can get prohibitive if you rely too much on the market to fix your shortages. I've definitely had to build habitat stations just for refining more of them, but I rarely find myself with pops to spare for that unless I've gone full robot assembly.

Second that something seems really strange though. I've literally never had so many pops that I couldn't find anything for them to do. Well, not before the game grinds to a halt due to pop calculations, at least.

Yeah, even if you aren't swimming in rare materials by 2400, which is a big ??? on its own, you should have at least one, or more likely multiple huge surplusses you can turn into money and back into rare materials.

Hell, you can setup auto-trades, a feature most people tend to forget since after a couple centuries of playing, you should be drowning in everything. At some point after 2300, I start maxing out minerals for example, and have to keep raising alloy production and still sell off huge amounts of minerals to keep the storage from overflowing.

After 2400, basically everything is overflowing. I'd really like to see how someone manages to get into a rare material shortage, especially that late in a run. (Double hell, after 2300 I tend to abuse the AI's love for rare stuff by constantly off-loading large chunks of my overflowing rare materials to "steal" alloys from my allies, because the AI has to get to obscene levels of income in a certain rare material or needs to be directly threatened in a massive war before it starts valuing alloys higher than the ten billion magic crystals everyone has lying around uselessly. An oversight probably, ha ha.)

Splicer posted:

Sometimes badboy civics spawn at the other side of the map and I get subsumed in waves of refugees but there the problem is building fast enough, not literally running out of space.

Oh yeah, I'm always glad when that happens, by the time that happens I tend to have lots of planets with like 10+ jobs still open, especially when I forget to switch some clerks off. Then sometimes an arco-planet or a relic world happens and those eat up pops like candy. I can't really say I ever managed to run out of space. Even when eventually a planet is finished, yeah those pops will just auto-migrate to still open planets.

Theoretically, there should be point where mathematically, no new growth is possible. Thanks to the new pop growth mechanics, that point even arrives naturally for me ony m first planets at some point ca. 2350-2450, depending on planet size and what I'm actually doing with the planet. (A small refinery planet for example will be done pretty fast, while a big industrial center may take a while.)

In the bad old days without auto-migration, me playing nice guy states with no forced resettlement always meant lots of micro like demolishing robo-plants, replacing buildings adding pop growth, using decisions to reduce growth, etc. All very tedious but also at that point my resources where so massive that it also didn't really matter anymore.

Nowadays I can just keep my hands off since a planet overflowing with unused pops will first offload them to somewhere else, and if everything is full, eventually pops will outgrow their housing and then their growth will crater so much only a machine empire's ability to just cease drone production is comparable. Very nice.

OK now I need to see those screenshots.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Travic posted:

:edit: Started a new game. Same problem. Not even to 2300 yet and my districts are maxed out and there's unemployment everywhere. Can't upgrade buildings yet so it's not that. Planets are revolting due to "Overcrowding" even though there is empty housing on the planet. I am about to give up.
Can you post a savegame?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Travic posted:

:edit: Started a new game. Same problem. Not even to 2300 yet and my districts are maxed out and there's unemployment everywhere. Can't upgrade buildings yet so it's not that. Planets are revolting due to "Overcrowding" even though there is empty housing on the planet. I am about to give up.

:psyduck: We really need some screenshots, because this makes less and less sense with each of your posts

Edit:

Are you only colonizing planets overgrown with filth and not removing blockers or something???

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
No mods. Though I do want to try Tiny Outliner.

Here's one of the overcrowding planets.

Though I think I figured out the unemployment thing. I was playing necrophage and apparently that means it enslaves the lower caste completely. I took the slavery off and they autosorted. I guess I should stick to simpler starts. Mandatory wint "Spend less on slaves"

I feel dumb. Maybe I'm just too stupid to play Stellaris. :( The overcrowding didn't fix with the slavery change though.

Travic fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 11, 2022

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Try verifying your game files or something, because that does not seem right.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Travic posted:

I was playing necrophage
Aftter staring confusedly at this for a while I asked DDG and there's a Known Bug with purging that makes this alert pop up erroneously sometimes and necrophages always be purging. The only solution anyone has is to resettle all your purgees off the affected planets which seems uh effort.

So this is on the devs, this has apparently been happening to people off and on for over a year at least.

e: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/search/4050986/?q=Decline+excessive+overcrowding&o=date

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 11, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Travic posted:

No mods.
If you're feeling especially charitable and productive log a bug in the bugs section and upload your save as an attachment. Mod free saves of bugs are like unicorns made of gold and I don't see an actual bug report for the necrophage version, just posts about it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

An awoken Khan can hire your own Mecrenary Enclave and use it against you and if he does that then you lose it's ownership, and thus the ability to counter-buy their fleets.
It also causes the enclave to FIGHT AGAINST ITSELF, constantly spawning fleets and killing it's own fleets with it's own fleets.

That's one of the few times a game bug has completely hosed my campaign.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Splicer posted:

If you're feeling especially charitable and productive log a bug in the bugs section and upload your save as an attachment. Mod free saves of bugs are like unicorns made of gold and I don't see an actual bug report for the necrophage version, just posts about it.

Done.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
suddenly I'm very glad that I'm never playing bad guy empires, because this bug would suck

even my space vampires were the nice ones, where purging was strictly forbidden, I guess this made me skip this particular bug

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Is it possible to do space vampire where you integrate aliens into your empire without changing their alieness?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Don't build any space vampire temples so there are no prepare for space vampiring jobs and make everyone else free citizens.

Edit: I think that should work atleast, I am a horrible spaceman and play mostly badguys :v:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
To save myself frustration is there an easier way to convert pops? I'm pretty much just trying to play as Mind Flayers converting the galaxy. I think Necrophage/slaves are too much for me right now.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Necrophages should get a convert option for purges i think?

Edit: furthest down
https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Species_rights

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 11, 2022

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Noir89 posted:

They do, but I fell on my face managing slaves. So I was just wondering if there was another way.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Noir89 posted:

Your empire still has to allow murderiffic purge modes in order to get the pops converted, so this requires xenophobe ethic or hivemind?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Travic posted:

To save myself frustration is there an easier way to convert pops? I'm pretty much just trying to play as Mind Flayers converting the galaxy. I think Necrophage/slaves are too much for me right now.
Yeah Necrophage are absolutely the mechanical pick for mind flayers. You can also go Devouring Swarm for a slightly more, uh, direct definition of "convert".

e: necrophage comes with two ways to convert; the chambers of elevation and the purge. You can turn off the purging and just use the buildings, or not build the buildings and just use the purge.

e2: so if you go the building route for a species the species needs to be a slave <this is a lie, if you go the purge route they need to be an undesirable. Necrophages are honestly one of the fiddliest setups out there outside of maybe rogue servitor.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 11, 2022

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Splicer posted:

Yeah Necrophage are absolutely the mechanical pick for mind flayers. You can also go Devouring Swarm for a slightly more, uh, direct definition of "convert".

e: necrophage comes with two ways to convert; the chambers of elevation and the purge. You can turn off the purging and just use the buildings, or not build the buildings and just use the purge.

e2: so if you go the building route for a species the species needs to be a slave, if you go the purge route they need to be an undesirable. Necrophages are honestly one of the fiddliest setups out there outside of maybe rogue servitor.

Gotcha. I'll give it another try, but if I fail again I may just have to stick to good guys.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I've never had any issue with my pops using the chamber of elevation while not being slaves. I usually leave my prepatient species as residents and it works fine.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Travic posted:

Gotcha. I'll give it another try, but if I fail again I may just have to stick to good guys.
Maybe go for a genocidal civic (devouring swarm, exterminators, or fanatic purifiers) run. It turns off 90% of the diplomacy and your war declaration options are "because I say so" and you get to keep everything you take (though 10 year truces are still a thing).

Eimi posted:

I've never had any issue with my pops using the chamber of elevation while not being slaves. I usually leave my prepatient species as residents and it works fine.
Oh wait duh they CAN be taken by slaves not MUST be taken by slaves. In my defence I'm very tired.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

I give everyone full citizen rights and go down full freedom vampires. Works like a charm, there's always tons of refugees incoming and I get absolutely flattened by incoming migration-treaties. Like in IRL, people want to be vampires, it turns out. :v:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Eimi posted:

It’s best to do both leave the originals for pop growth and necrosis purge everybody else.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s best to do both leave the originals for pop growth and necrosis purge everybody else.

:hmmyes: Especially the first planets you get, a huge boost to your main pop.

Libluini posted:

I give everyone full citizen rights and go down full freedom vampires. Works like a charm, there's always tons of refugees incoming and I get absolutely flattened by incoming migration-treaties. Like in IRL, people want to be vampires, it turns out. :v:

Ha, yeah I just tend to stick to xenophobic as an ethic for the pop growth on my lil buddies and despite starting with them they can't be full citizens and it gives me the freedom to get rid of any ugly aliens.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

:hmmyes: Especially the first planets you get, a huge boost to your main pop.

Ha, yeah I just tend to stick to xenophobic as an ethic for the pop growth on my lil buddies and despite starting with them they can't be full citizens and it gives me the freedom to get rid of any ugly aliens.

Yeah, that was my main reason to try necrophage, too. I made two different versions of cute foxes and then just attracted all the ugly aliens in the galaxy to slowly remake them into more foxes. Cut down a lot of micro, but you basically have to go deep into genetic engineering, since you eventually upgrade all your elevation chambers and then you're soon left with only your main species left. Though having robots in addition helps a lot, too. :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish they nerfed Market. It makes any resource deficiencies trivial.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Jack Trades posted:

I wish they nerfed Market. It makes any resource deficiencies trivial.

Market was a mistake imo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yami Fenrir posted:

Market was a mistake imo.

It should only really allow players to buy as much of any given resource as others have sold.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Jack Trades posted:

It should only really allow players to buy as much of any given resource as others have sold.
They can't even accomplish that in Victoria.

Both games have min/max prices and heavily gravitate commodities towards their "intended" price

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Splicer posted:

Maybe go for a genocidal civic (devouring swarm, exterminators, or fanatic purifiers) run. It turns off 90% of the diplomacy and your war declaration options are "because I say so" and you get to keep everything you take (though 10 year truces are still a thing).

Yeah I keep getting my rear end kicked. I keep getting surrounded by large defensive pacts. If I go devouring swarm does that make everyone hate me/declare war on me? What's the strategy for defense?

For reference I usually play as a lone empire in 4x games. I don't focus on diplomacy or politics much at all.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Travic posted:

Yeah I keep getting my rear end kicked. I keep getting surrounded by large defensive pacts. If I go devouring swarm does that make everyone hate me/declare war on me?
Yes. The AI will be more willing to join defensive pacts/federations/offer vassalage if they are "threatened", and you generate threat by just existing near them and being strong, especially if you have been conquering territory.

The AI is also more likely to declare war on you if you're weak because you have no allies and taking your territory will not generate threat towards other AI. Even pacifist AI can declare total war on you, which gives them a rare opportunity to take territory without claims.

quote:

What's the strategy for defense?
Be big and strong enough that they don't try (high fleet power). Put big efficient starbase/platform defenses on choke points.

quote:

For reference I usually play as a lone empire in 4x games. I don't focus on diplomacy or politics much at all.
In Stellaris, if you gain intelligence on an empire, you can see why they like/dislike you and want/don't want to agree to your proposals by hovering over them and reading the tooltips. It's similar to Total War that way.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Travic posted:

While the Grand Strategy element is woefully underdeveloped compared to other paradox games Stellaris is still a game where ignoring politics entirely doesn't really work for most empires. Devouring Swarm etc. get a bunch of bonuses to boost their economy and fightpower to compensate, but if you're just playing regular empires then you absolutely need to make a friend or two.

Or go all in balls to the wall attack from day 1 and consume the first empire you find immediately, but that's deliberately difficult for non-genocides. Also is not as good as doing all that AND making a friend or two.

e: play a fanatic purifier and immediately go Supremacy tree.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 12, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You can always play Inward Perfectionist, they're a decent middleground between the normal empires and the devouring swarms.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I was thinking that but they require pacifist don't they?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

Yeah, you're right. Inward Perfectionist is more about playing with your legos, alone in the corner, separate from all the other kids.

What about Barbaric Despoilers?
I think they can wage war more easily but aren't hit viewed as a de facto galactic enemy iirc.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, you're right. Inward Perfectionist is more about playing with your legos, alone in the corner, separate from all the other kids.

What about Barbaric Despoilers?
I think they can wage war more easily but aren't hit viewed as a de facto galactic enemy iirc.

Driven Assimilators get a total war CB but can do diplomacy at a -100 penalty or so, which is posible to overcome for around one ally.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Driven Assimilators get a total war CB but can do diplomacy at a -100 penalty or so, which is posible to overcome for around one ally.

Mind you, machine empires can have totally normal relations with any other one, so if you get into contact with another machine empire, it's now easy mode.

Driven Assimilators, like standard machine empires, can also do a trick to create their own vassals: Take a planet with enough resources somewhere by its lonesome or in a tiny sector you don't care about, fill it up with not-yet converted pops and then release that planet as a vassal, which then creates a tiny pet for your hivemind.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok well it seems like my two options are total war or make some friends. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

Pacifist + Xenophobe. I usually go with Spiritualist for the last one and pair it with Exalted Priesthood to really lean in to the Unity bonus you get from Inward Perfection.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Travic posted:

Ok well it seems like my two options are total war or make some friends.

Yup, that's thread title material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Libluini posted:

Driven Assimilators, like standard machine empires, can also do a trick to create their own vassals: Take a planet with enough resources somewhere by its lonesome or in a tiny sector you don't care about, fill it up with not-yet converted pops and then release that planet as a vassal, which then creates a tiny pet for your hivemind.
That's the "make some friends" approach I guess.