Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Jack Trades posted:

Now that I think about it, a mod that nerfs the market, or at the very least removes it completely would've been nice, but it doesn't seem like there's anything like it.

Should work like this:
  • Only exists when the Galactic Senate passes the Galactic Market, and is only available to those who join the Galactic Senate.
  • Only has infinite Energy, everything else is finite and filled when other empires sell their resources
  • The amount of stock is visible when you want to trade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I wish there was a slider for what difficulty scaling difficulty starts at.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Charles 1998 posted:

Should work like this:
  • Only exists when the Galactic Senate passes the Galactic Market, and is only available to those who join the Galactic Senate.
  • Only has infinite Energy, everything else is finite and filled when other empires sell their resources
  • The amount of stock is visible when you want to trade

Market nerfs would kinda have to apply only to human players?

Unless you really want the difficulty randomly flatlining whenever an AI player traps itself in a resource-crunch death spiral.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

silentsnack posted:

Market nerfs would kinda have to apply only to human players?

Unless you really want the difficulty randomly flatlining whenever an AI player traps itself in a resource-crunch death spiral.

AI doesn't use the Market, so yes.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jack Trades posted:

AI doesn't use the Market, so yes.
They most definitely do, just look at prices around mid-game

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

isndl posted:

Usually I play robots and I'm bottlenecked by energy so buying minerals doesn't make sense. :shrug:

Playing as robots makes it easier because they have even higher energy production.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shadowlyger posted:

Playing as robots makes it easier because they have even higher energy production.
Well they need it, as they don't have food or consumer goods, can colonize every planet right from the beginning, miss the pop growth penalty on new planets and don't have trade so they're forced to build more anchorages instead.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1603317262429167620

Prayers up for a primitives DLC

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
I decided to mess around with the overtuned origin and stacked all the research boosting traits, and my leaders have an average lifespan of 40. Seems a little annoying to deal with at first, as I had a scientist die 4 years in, but not insurmountable.

Then I looked and was a little surprised I could still use overtuned with lithoids. I actually really like lithoids; besides the obvious downsides, is there any reason why I shouldn’t mix the two?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

If you are doing it for the leader lifespan, note that lithoid leaders start out older, so it does not really matter for the overtuned stuff. What you want is a second species for leaders, so get that migration treaty ASAP.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I just beeline the Synchronicity/Harmony tradition that gives you leader lifespan immediately when I play Overturned to give myself some breathing room, leaders dying left and right eats up a ton of unity.

Lithoids also are good with Overturned later in because they eat minerals, so when you turn drat the Consequences in later you just need to worry about having a strong mineral economy, which you should have anyway by the midgame, rather than worrying about an additional food economy.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Fair point on the Lithoid leader ages being higher to compensate.

I do actually want to use a toxoid species for the immersion, and I remembered the leader lifespan boosts from the harmony tradition. I think that’s the play.

I was also going to start with the relentless industrialist civic for maximum gently caress it we ball energy. Surely I can find other great planets to live on, who cares if i turn my homeworld into a shithole. Actually, can you terraform the resulting tomb world and repeat the process?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

A FESTIVE SKELETON posted:

Fair point on the Lithoid leader ages being higher to compensate.

I do actually want to use a toxoid species for the immersion, and I remembered the leader lifespan boosts from the harmony tradition. I think that’s the play.

I was also going to start with the relentless industrialist civic for maximum gently caress it we ball energy. Surely I can find other great planets to live on, who cares if i turn my homeworld into a shithole. Actually, can you terraform the resulting tomb world and repeat the process?

You could always take Post-Apocalyptic and then any other tomb worlds you find won't slow you down.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Horace Kinch posted:

You could always take Post-Apocalyptic and then any other tomb worlds you find won't slow you down.

That combos really well with relentless industrialists because of the situation that develops, but by default you can't combine it with overtuned without modding or debug commands.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Yeah if only. I also kinda wish overtuned was a locked-in civic choice instead of origin, but I don’t know how that would effect game balance. Then again, I play with gigastructures and Gilli’s so game balance isn’t a huge concern for me in the first place, and that’s what difficulty sliders are for.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I made my Space Orks Post Apoc/Relentless industrialists/purifiers. nuclear/industrial terraforming

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why do I need to upgrade defensive platforms twice? Is there some issue where when I get a tech to upgrade them they get stuck waiting for me to manually click upgrade and if I get more techs they need to be refreshed into realizing there is more? Ships can handle upgrades fine.

Third time I opened the L-gate this week and the third time in a row it was COMPLETELY EMPTY. Nothing inside. Absolutely nothing except the empty systems. Some random normal anomalies but otherwise nothing. This last time I sent through 7 science vessels to quickly grab the first system and closed borders to everyone else who tried to get there. Still nothing at all. So boring.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 19, 2022

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Poil posted:

Why do I need to upgrade defensive platforms twice? Is there some issue where when I get a tech to upgrade them they get stuck waiting for me to manually click upgrade and if I get more techs they need to be refreshed into realizing there is more? Ships can handle upgrades fine.

Third time I opened the L-gate this week and the third time in a row it was COMPLETELY EMPTY. Nothing inside. Absolutely nothing except the empty systems. Some random normal anomalies but otherwise nothing. This last time I sent through 7 science vessels to quickly grab the first system and closed borders to everyone else who tried to get there. Still nothing at all. So boring.

As in, Gray empty or empty empty?

Because the latter sounds like a mod issue.

Defensive platforms are a pain, but you may be missing a resource or another.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There something like 10% chance that the L-Sector will be empty.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

There something like 10% chance that the L-Sector will be empty.

As in, completely empty?

I've never gotten that if true lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Grey Silence has an empty sector and one special anomaly.

I remembered the chances wrong because I literally never not had Tempest in my L-Sector and I've been playing since launch.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jack Trades posted:

What happens if someone else scouts the anomaly first and then never investigates it?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

I remembered the chances wrong because I literally never not had Tempest in my L-Sector and I've been playing since launch.

Well, that's literally what I'm saying though. That's Gray.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Related to this, in my current games the L-sector is switched off (because I had enough L-sector to last me a lifetime) and in one of those current games our space people suddenly stumbled across an L-gate anyway.

Now we're slowly getting L-gate hints despite not really pursuing this cursed gate. At least it seems to be the only L-gate in the galaxy so far. Hopefully this means no AI will rip it open this time

Because I'm fairly sure this is a bug and there's a non-zero chance the game will crash if that gate opens

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yami Fenrir posted:

As in, Gray empty or empty empty?

Because the latter sounds like a mod issue.

Defensive platforms are a pain, but you may be missing a resource or another.

ShadowHawk posted:

What happens if someone else scouts the anomaly first and then never investigates it?
Gray empty but the anomaly never shows up. At least the third time I got the event that said it looked like a lot of fighting had taken place when I popped through the L-gate. But nothing more. Unless the AI knows which celestial body that is holding it and somehow beelines directly to it without me noticing I don't see how they could steal it.

Mod issue is of course possible but I don't see how.
-2 portrait mods, one with a namelist.
-2 UI mods to make the outliner and leader screen less bloated.
-2 music mods.
-A mod to enable neutron sweep for spiritualists.
-No Clustered Start
-Origins Extended

Only the last three should actually affect gameplay at all but none of them involves messing with the L and only origins adds a few events but none of the other events in game seem affected at all so it's not likely to be the cause. :(

Anyway I played on a bit disheartened but managed to get the synth ascension. Pretty cool, changing the ascension paths to tradition trees was a good change. But unfortunately it seems like every single new bio pop that migrants in is assimilated to the base robot and not the improved template? So now I have to go back and manually apply it over and over and over. I really hope I'm doing something wrong, again, and this is not the intended way.

From the lies of the antipath
circuit, preserve us!
From the rage of the beast
iron, protect us!
From the temptations of the fleshlord
silica, cleanse us!
From the ravages of the destroyer
anima, shield us!

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 19, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mods can do weird stuff and even if you know them back to front it's worth it to disable them just to rule out the possibility.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I was trying to come up with a unique image for a mod I'm making that just allows you to configure the game a bit for balance and performance reasons, and I realized that this is a perfect excuse to use AI to generate an image since nobody really cares what your mod thumbnail looks like. I've been playing around and gotten some neat stuff. Sorry if this is too unrelated...

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 19, 2022

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I am playing the new cordyceptic hive mind civic and I had a blessed start with both Tiyun Ort and the amoeba breeding grounds within reach.

I built ships until I could take out the amoebas. I instantly went from like 10k fleet power to like 50k

And thats also when I discovered that these space fauna have food upkeep.

I’ve spent the last twenty years in game just stabilizing my food production to maintain my fleet. I’ve been stuck in a never ending hell war with a fanatic purifier to my south. They can no longer put up a fight, so my fleets are ever growing. They hunger.

I’ve never had so much fun.

Can you take cordyceptics as a devouring swarm? I was TRYING to play as a peaceful, aquatic, tree of life fungoid hive mind.

But I’m essentially now a devouring swarm just to feed my space fauna. I’ve had to set the purifiers to livestock just to keep up with food demand.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
You can absolutely take cordyceptics as a devouring swarm.

Stack Necrophage as well to get the full Flood experience. Everything will be you.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I started a new xenophile megacorp. Never played with xenophiles or megacorps. Uhh anyways, seems I'm surrounded by two different same-looking guys with huge fleets...? I hope they are friendlies..? Uh hmm maybe they'll want to resettle to my planets? :v:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Looks like you are sandwiched between two marauder empires. Have fun with that!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

Looks like you are sandwiched between two marauder empires. Have fun with that!

Yes. Seems they just want tribute, and they won't raid me. Hopefully? So I just keep paying protection cash, and they go away.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Being close to them is good since it occasionally gives you neat events and their raid fleets can path through anyone's territory anyway. :v:

It is sometimes possible to sneak ships past through their systems. Set a ship to ignore threats and use waypoints inside the system to skirt along the edges. Probably don't send your highest skilled scientist on the ship however.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems I'm quite surrounded. 2 marauders and a fallen empire guard my borders. At least most likely I won't get invaded very easily, there's only one path left to my area.

I guess the best option is to gently caress off if their fleets decide to attack my empire.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Also as said in last page, market is stupid. It just gives me infinite alloys or whatever without me having to manufacture themselves. No idea who's even manufacturing them... Private sector?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a way to break up defensive pacts, vassals or federations? The weaker AI's just happily sign up for vassalage and if the stronger are allied it creates this massive stagnant block of boredom.
The khan is so comparatively weak these days, and fairly slow to even trigger it seems so they don't manage to accomplish anything.

I finally got something in the l-gates! Only drakes but it's better than nothing. Is there a way to actually find them without having to slowly pan across the galaxy looking at each system?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well gently caress. I dug too deep I guess, a snake leviathan appeared.

On a scale of 1-10 hosed, I guess I'm like 8. Well hopefully that guy at least stays in the system. Welp. The planet can't make food either, hmm I wonder if they can teleport food to the planet, or will they starve...

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Ihmemies posted:

Welp. The planet can't make food either, hmm I wonder if they can teleport food to the planet, or will they starve...

Good news, food won't really be an issue and the dragon doesn't establish a formal blockade around the system/planet

Bad news, :rip:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Decided to start over. Started near one friendly, one hostile and one neutral empire. So far so good but the friendly one fell slightly behind in fleet strength and sent me a diplomatic request and in the time it took me to see what it was they had already signed up as a vassal to another empire. Permanently now and forever more. This mechanic is so loving stupid. Is there a paradox game with worse diplomacy than stellaris?

I don't have the dlc (federations?) to do any spy missions except the most basic gather information one. But of course that does not apply to the AI which can spam the relations hurting one at me with impunity. I don't have access to that. And there is only one way to protect against it: Be lucky with the loving rng research trash and hope the tech shows up lol. This loving game! :rant:

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
You can always support the vassal empire's independence, it'll automatically let you join any war they declare for freedom, and lets them count your fleets in for any calculations on whether or not they will go to war or not.

Also what do you mean by "the relations hurting one"? If it's just the "harming our relations" modifier, they aren't engaging in espionage for that, just sending an envoy to do it