Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

What would be a good reason to choose to antagonize NPC’s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ChocNitty posted:

Fun

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ChocNitty posted:

To be an rear end in a top hat. Arthur has a lot of funny zingers as well. Worst case is someone tries to knock you out, which means you can knock them out (just don't loot them).

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
I really liked chapter 5 for all that heart of darkness vibe but I resented the lack of control. I wanted to spend more time there, maybe shave off my hair and go total tropical rebel.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man it would be cool if you could actually see the bottles when someone challenges you to shoot bottles.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Can you not do things with rare weapons at the gunsmith? I just acquired a rare shotgun and it isn't in the menu.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is anyone else sensing a lot of very subtle movie and cultural references in the game? Either that or they’re just subconscious influences that the writers had.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ChocNitty posted:

Is anyone else sensing a lot of very subtle movie and cultural references in the game? Either that or they’re just subconscious influences that the writers had.

Parts of the Chapter 1 train robbery are nearly word for word taken from similar scene in Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, so yes. I'm not even a western guy but some of it is pretty overt.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Can you not do things with rare weapons at the gunsmith? I just acquired a rare shotgun and it isn't in the menu.

You cannot, I got a rare rolling block rifle and same deal. Which is lame since of course I'm gonna use the slightly better version, only now I can't trick it out with gold inlays. At the very least I wish you could sell old guns, since I know I'm never gonna use my carbine repeater or cattleman revolver ever again, for example.

Also, speaking of guns guns GUNS, is the double-action revolver you get from that GTAO challenge the same one you can just find or buy yourself in Chapter 3 and onward, or is it special/different in some way?

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 4, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I am personally keeping Rhodes afloat by purchasing a gently caress ton of hair tonic but I'm still sitting here with 7/10 beard. Wtf Rockstar. It wouldn't be nearly as annoying if you could hold more than three of the drat things and just stock up for a bit. You can buy it from the companion app but then you still have to load/reload a save to get it delivered.

I just want a huge untamed beard.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ChocNitty posted:

I mean, it is a Rockstar game. The Aberdeen Pig Farm business made me think of the creepy farm family from Telltale's Walking Dead, but "creepy family of hillbillies with nefarious schemes" is a pretty well worn trope in fiction. Plus it kind of went in a different direction.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
Question: can you miss unique weapons other than the gunslingers ones? Do I have to check guides to make sure I don't miss any weapons in missions?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
It kinda sucks all the little side houses in new austin have no npcs but are all furnished like someone just walked out the door. You can loot all kinds of poo poo there and crash in those houses though.

Also i found an ancient necklace and fertility statute in new austin that i cant equip as a talisman but i cant sell either. No idea what their purpose is. The necklace location had a bunch of indian stuff in the house but the fertility house was full of rats. The neklace house had no doors or windows and was the only one like that ive seen but its a location that you do a mission at in rdr1 i think. So was the fertility statute is was that house near theives landing on the river next to the waterfall. There was at least a side quest there i think. Im wondering if those need to be grabbed with arthur to matter.

E:actually maybe i can sell those i didnt try a fence and i guess i stole those. It has the unique tag though im not sure if i should.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 4, 2018

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m sensing some really random and non western references though.

Like when the cult leader asks Aurthur what he loves. And he responds with “turtles”.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like I spend 50% of my time playing this game in awe of how cool the world is and how entertaining the story is, and the other 50% wanting to chuck my controller against the wall because I have never hated the control decisions in a game so much in my life. Never. The only thing that even comes close is the Witcher 3 and it was still like 5 times more intuitive than this game.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Also lol at strolling into that outpost up in the north west corner of new austin and hop off the horse and some dude yelling at me to get off his property. Theres a couple spots like that and i enjoyed knowing their rude asses would all be dead soon.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Really like just walking up to that 3 star bull and point blank putting it down, snaggin some skin and loving right off

twice

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are definitely a lot of cool mysteries people haven't resolved yet, see this subreddit. I've seen the fertility statues mentioned there. I want to know what's up with the weird hieroglyphics in blackwater that get recorded in your journal when you find them

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Anyone familiar with GTAV clickbait thumbnails will be glad to know you can finally stop the train in this.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

I convinced myself that the saloons in Valentine are allegorical to Tom's bar and an amalgamation of the Gem/Bella Union from Deadwood.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

JBP posted:

Same feelings here I loved the game. In the post game I ran into the two idiots from Valentine that wanted you to shoot bottles off the heads and hit them. Marston was like um ok fellas and pushed them off a waterfall in barrels. I think they've recorded lines for Marston to do every side quest which is nuts... My Arthur was a lunatic until chapter 5 and I went from seeing the wolf all game to dying looking at a sunrise, a deer was in my dreams. I think that was as good as Arthur was ever going to get and I was very weepy.
The weird part is that they immediately identified John (and not like... "Stranger") despite the first two quests being started with Arthur.

As for the end of chapter 6 cutscenes... I was showing my girlfriend when Arthur is dying and said "he better not look at a sunset" and then they loving did it. Set my tears off despite the cliche. Plus, I was max honour so it was all the stuff with people saying what a good man he was etc.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

DrNutt posted:

I am personally keeping Rhodes afloat by purchasing a gently caress ton of hair tonic but I'm still sitting here with 7/10 beard. Wtf Rockstar. It wouldn't be nearly as annoying if you could hold more than three of the drat things and just stock up for a bit. You can buy it from the companion app but then you still have to load/reload a save to get it delivered.

I just want a huge untamed beard.

Facial hair length is locked by story progression for some reason. I had to get to Chapter 4 before I could grow it past 7. Hair can reach the max at any time, though (I think).

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I just picked up the game, and had a few quick questions google didn't easily answer:

-If i want to use a bunch of an item (like cigarettes to refill dead eye because I am bad at shooting on consoles) do I have to choose it and do the little smoking animation each and every time?
-If I find a perfect skin and bring it to a butcher, rather than a trapper, does that not count for crafting stuff at the trapper?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

JosefStalinator posted:

-If I find a perfect skin and bring it to a butcher, rather than a trapper, does that not count for crafting stuff at the trapper?

No. Don't sell perfect pelts to the butcher because you get nothing good for it (Money can be easily made elsewhere). Some are useful donating to camp (satchel upgrades if you want - I beat the game with only one crafted because of the effort required), otherwise take to the trapper if you can.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Man it would be cool if you could actually see the bottles when someone challenges you to shoot bottles.

Lol yeah for real. Maybe I should have gotten an X

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DrNutt posted:

When that happens just shoot the issuer, the contest is clearly rigged.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Lugubrious posted:

Facial hair length is locked by story progression for some reason. I had to get to Chapter 4 before I could grow it past 7. Hair can reach the max at any time, though (I think).

I've got to level 8 and still sat in chapter 4 using a bottle of hair tonic. It's not locked to story progression.

When you use a bottle the effect lasts for ages. During this time your hair will grow faster and when the effects finally wear off (I'm talking hours upon hours) you'll get a notification that says as such and your beard will have grown by a level.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Currently struggling to catch a cardinal and woodpecker for the Hunting Requests side mission. I only ever see them flying away and they are usually too fast to catch with a bow and small game arrow, especially if I don't have it already pre-equipped.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Dumb console newb question: Do people generally play with or without aim assist? I'm still garbage at aiming with a controller so sometimes it feels like it helps to snap onto targets, but other times it's frustrating because I want to try for a headshot and it jerks to the body, or it snaps to the wrong target.

God, I'm so bad at aiming.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aranan posted:

Dumb console newb question: Do people generally play with or without aim assist? I'm still garbage at aiming with a controller so sometimes it feels like it helps to snap onto targets, but other times it's frustrating because I want to try for a headshot and it jerks to the body, or it snaps to the wrong target.

Just leave it on aim assist so you can snap to targets with your six guns and shoot men down rather than overthinking the game.

You can get almost guaranteed headshots every single bullet by snapping to target, aiming up and firing.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ChocNitty posted:

I’m sensing some really random and non western references though.

Like when the cult leader asks Aurthur what he loves. And he responds with “turtles”.

To be fair, those cultists are literally wearing pictures of turtles on their robes, Arthur is just playing along. It's very easy not to notice at first, though, in which case, yeah, that line feels very out of place until you realize why he's saying it.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ChocNitty posted:

Anyone who has poor manners after I tell them Howdy is gonna get antagonized until they either run, or force my hand and put them down.

Aranan posted:

I never do, assist/targeting cheapens the game IMO. Sounds like you are just unfamiliar with aiming with a controller. Once you get used to it, it isn't really an issue. Playing any modern rockstar game with targeting on really just makes the game boring.

Although when the online comes out you are gonna have to cause people who use targeting own people using manual aim for free :(

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 4, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

elpaganoescapa posted:

Question: can you miss unique weapons other than the gunslingers ones? Do I have to check guides to make sure I don't miss any weapons in missions?

There is at least one in a story mission in chapter 3 that is exceedingly missable (rare rolling block rifle) because the dude it's on isn't notable in any way and it's not obviously different at a glance unless you have the text to swap to it on your screen.

I forget the mission name that has it but you can hover my spoiler text for the name of the rifle if you want and then Google it. It's definitely in chapter 3

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Aranan posted:

Use aim assist, but tell people on the internet you don't. Best of both worlds.

Dead eye is stronger than auto aim anyways, so remember to make use of it whenever the odds are not already in your favor. Lazily tagging the chest and heads of several people at once makes even the starter repeater a complete monster of a weapon.

But when all else fails, and collateral damage won't botch an objective? Shotguns and Dynamite are low priced and effective.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 4, 2018

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Late game/ending spoilers: is there any way of avoiding getting TB? iirc you get it from Thomas Downes as part of the optional loan shark missions, so if you just don't do those does it change the plot at all? Also wondering how much of an impact being a piece of poo poo has. I was got the really cool redemption ending which worked perfectly, but if you refuse to help the native Americans/Sadie etc and have minimum honour does the ending change at all? And does it affect the way everyone talks about you in the epilogue?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Killing ten people in the blink of an eye with your dual schofields in dead eye is always a fun time. For best result run into the middle of the street like a badass then line em up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ThomasPaine posted:

Late game/ending spoilers: is there any way of avoiding getting TB? iirc you get it from Thomas Downes as part of the optional loan shark missions, so if you just don't do those does it change the plot at all? Also wondering how much of an impact being a piece of poo poo has. I was got the really cool redemption ending which worked perfectly, but if you refuse to help the native Americans/Sadie etc and have minimum honour does the ending change at all? And does it affect the way everyone talks about you in the epilogue?

It's a set in stone event but yes a few things can change depending on player choice.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Is the xbonex version supposed to be nicer and prettier than the PS Pro?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

uncle w benefits posted:

Is the xbonex version supposed to be nicer and prettier than the PS Pro?

Yes. Though HDR is hosed on all consoles.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Is there a trick to fishing I'm not getting? Seems like I spend 10 minutes reeling, stopping to tire the fish out, quickly reeling again while bringing my rod back, and repeating only for the fish to get free when it's a few feet away. My hands are worn out.

Big fish do take a while but a 20 lb fish should only take like 3 minutes.

While they're struggling, stop reeling and move the left stick in the opposite direction of their run. You can hold L2 to put drag on the reel and stop the fish from taking out line but you run the risk of breaking the line.

When they stop struggling, let the left stick return to neutral before pulling back on it and make sure you see Arthur raise the rod tip in the air when you pull back. It's hard to tell the difference with a big fish, but catching something little like bluegill will let you know if you're doing it correctly because Arthur will reel much, much faster with the rod pulled back.

E: I'm pretty sure I lost a big fish because he ran under some logs and instantly broke my line. While it's fighting, use the left stick to keep it in open water.

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, speaking of guns guns GUNS, is the double-action revolver you get from that GTAO challenge the same one you can just find or buy yourself in Chapter 3 and onward, or is it special/different in some way?

AFAIK it's just a skin, gold plate and pearl grips. I still want it though but it's broken and when I put in a ticket R* just said "lol rekt wait for a patch"

titties fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I just shot a chicken that was flying 50 feet in the air