Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, if your bid is slightly under the median bid at the end you'll probably still get the tank. Just remember that the median bid doesn't show up until enough people have made a bid for the entire lot to be sold. If there is no median bid then you're safe to bid the minimum.

I got the BZ for like 900 over the minimum bid and the ISU went for the minimum bid of 9,000 on NA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

After a few games with the new ISU-122-2, it's definitely not OP and possibly not even a good tank in the sense of being a competitive meta choice.

But holy poo poo it's fun. Good mobility, and a very fast double shot charge time. Just basically shoot doubles all the time every time.

E:

there are still not even 15 000 bids for the TL-7 on EU servers yet, and there's 80 minutes to go. I wouldn't pay 10 000 gold for a TL-7 either.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 27, 2024

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
After one lovely game, I was gifted with great MM for my 2nd game in the FSV Sch. A. It is much better than it appears to be on paper, nimble and the gun has decent DPS. What is strange though is that the shell velocity is pretty fast, but it doesn't feel like the shells move fast. So far though, tank feels pretty good.

Replay: http://wotreplays.eu/site/6709912#pilsen-mesadoram-fsv_scheme_a

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2575uX75DlQ

Another positive, the tank is super tiny and looks like a toy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Tomorrow's auction tank is apparently the WZ-111 Qilin.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

The first game this guy has was really amazing mainly because the spot he plays in I've never seen or use before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srWlAgLwwGA

I think I might need to try that out today.

I mentioned this a couple weeks ago when I was refitting all my tanks' equipment, but what he said at the beginning about the Cent's loadout was exactly how I felt about the high-tier UK MTs. They all seemed to be solid as-is without any glaring need of any particular equipment, so you can fit them however you want.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Atomizer posted:

I mentioned this a couple weeks ago when I was refitting all my tanks' equipment, but what he said at the beginning about the Cent's loadout was exactly how I felt about the high-tier UK MTs. They all seemed to be solid as-is without any glaring need of any particular equipment, so you can fit them however you want.

Seriously, it is crazy how flexible they are. The HESH rounds are also really amazing and satisfying to use. In general their gameplay does revolve around switching to the ammo type that bets fits the situation, which feels really fun.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Tomorrow's auction tank is apparently the WZ-111 Qilin.

Yeah.

For those who don't know, it's literally the same tank as the older Chinese T10 tech tree heavy, the WZ-111. Except it has a 3D skin, and because it's a special tank or whatever the term is, you can't use it in any game mode that isn't randoms. But of course on the upside you can just drop any Chinese heavy crew in it, and it is crew compatible with the BZ-176 (and I guess therefore with the tech tree rocket tank line?) as well.

I bought one when they were selling it for the first time in the Black Market. It's a pretty solid heavium. Moves fast, has decent gun handling and DPM, but not very well armoured at all so don't even think about brawling or frontlining with it.

If you don't care about Onslaught/Ranked and want a shortcut to the WZ-111 for whatever reason, it's not a bad pickup if it's available for free XP or credits.

E: it's a minimum bid of 15 000 gold? The gently caress are you smoking, WG?!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 28, 2024

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
People whale out for gold skins (see: Type 59 G)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vando posted:

People whale out for gold skins (see: Type 59 G)

I mean. I paid 22 million credits for mine simply because it has a skin that kinda reminds me of Chaos Marines and when you fire the main gun, the dragon breathes fire for a while afterwards.

So I'm not throwing shade. But 15 000 GOLD is nuts.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I mean. I paid 22 million credits for mine simply because it has a skin that kinda reminds me of Chaos Marines and when you fire the main gun, the dragon breathes fire for a while afterwards.

So I'm not throwing shade. But 15 000 GOLD is nuts.

Competitive has gone up to 25k with 13500 bidders so apparently WG knows their audience.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I bought the Ka-Ri because I've lost control of my life.

It is fantastic :smith:.

Edit: It was a good night for once :unsmith:

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 29, 2024

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Double posting :blastu:

This streamers explanation of light tank chess is fascinating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsUKIHzFL24

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I like how iyouxin is just "this streamer" when he's one of the top 5 players in the entire game, put some respect on his name!

But yeah his descriptions of high level play are super useful even if you're an absolute shitter and can only put about 10% of what he says into practice.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

iyouxin and Kajzoo exist, why would anyone watch Quickybaby?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Fat Jesus posted:

Got to have that reassuring Anglo accent or people get scared

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

Double posting :blastu:

This streamers explanation of light tank chess is fascinating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsUKIHzFL24

That counter-spotting bush line at the beginning is super useful.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Vando posted:

I like how iyouxin is just "this streamer" when he's one of the top 5 players in the entire game, put some respect on his name!

I didn't knowwwwww

Atomizer posted:

That counter-spotting bush line at the beginning is super useful.

I will totally use it in the future, it is quite a nasty spot.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Mesadoram posted:

I didn't knowwwwww

This is his trademark, it's extremely fun gaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veCM8rR4MN4

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Working my way down the Japanese TD line now, and holy lol the T7 is actually dumb. Is the premium T8 currently on sale a decent vehicle too? Looks like the crew layout matches the tech tree vehicles, which is always nice.

Edit:
Good to know, thanks, I pretty much never start working down a new line without having a crew trainer available these days.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 30, 2024

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Fat Jesus posted:

kajzoo i find to be too much of a capital G Gamer but yeah for top tier play iyouxin and dakillzor are the way. Skill is also a very good player but not on the same technical level as those guys. He's more entertaining and imo does a lot more than either of them in terms of community building and providing content for all levels of players

basically there's no shortage of good WoT content creators and none of them are named quickybaby

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

sushibandit posted:

Working my way down the Japanese TD line now, and holy lol the T7 is actually dumb. Is the premium T8 currently on sale a decent vehicle too? Looks like the crew layout matches the tech tree vehicles, which is always nice.

The T8 premium is amazing. The gun just brutalizes the enemies when it gets the chance. The main issue with it is no armor. But honestly, even on total blow outs/team melting in minutes I am easily getting 2k damage games in it. It's fantastic, and while I do regret giving them more money I love that tank.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

basically there's no shortage of good WoT content creators and none of them are named quickybaby

:hmmyes:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Welcome to Onslaught where the games go like this

And then your teammate, who is playing in a rental CS-63, yolos out to one flank, faces four enemies, dies and then yells slurs in chat about the team and says he's reporting all of us for throwing the game. He had to go to that flank, you see, or they would've overrun us (they overran us). So he's got to be like a 55% player, right? Maybe even a CC using an anonymizer?

Incidentally his WR would be ~40% if it wasn't being buoyed by high WRs in some very low tier seal clubber tanks.

He finished the game with 0 damage, 15 XP.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
My interest in onslaught would be getting KpZ. How much would you need to play it to get one, if we assume like 50% win rate? Or does winning even matter, i know nothing about the mode.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sayara posted:

My interest in onslaught would be getting KpZ. How much would you need to play it to get one, if we assume like 50% win rate? Or does winning even matter, i know nothing about the mode.

A lot. If you've never played before, the game will place you in the low Iron divisions, from where you have to climb up to Silver to unlock the Kpz and the Concept 1B in the store. I've now played 98 games with a 51% WR, and I am in Iron B, so I still need to get through Iron B and A, and Bronze E-A to get to Silver. It's not happening, because at this rate it would take a good 300 games more at least, and trying to actually progress in Onslaught is so infuriating you will toss your computer out the window.

If you go on a great run, you will rank up quickly, but the downside is that if you go on a bad run -- and you will -- you will also rank DOWN very quickly, because even if you're the top 1 guy on the losing team, you still lose 1/3 of the points you get for being top guy on the winning team. And if you're NOT the top guy, you literally lose as many points as you would for being the top guy on the winning team. The points system is just incredibly awful.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I feel like Ranked sounds less painful than that poo poo. And Ranked sucked rear end.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

McGavin posted:

I feel like Ranked sounds less painful than that poo poo. And Ranked sucked rear end.

It 100% is. Like Ranked sucked poo poo because instead of winning, people just aimed to be the number one and hosed over their team every time to try to do that, but Onslaught is somehow even worse.

For one thing, Onslaught doesn't have any backstops. Theoretically if you go on a really bad run, you can fall from Gold A to Iron E with nothing to stop you. That needs to be added. The points system needs to be tweaked as well.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

No backstops? Wow.

In Ranked you also didn't need to hit the top rank to get the tank reward. I'd hit the tank reward level, get one more win because the next level included a free premium day or some other decent reward, and then quit playing.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Sayara posted:

Winrate is less important than point farming it seems, if you can point farm reliably to lessen the impact of losses then the wins will eventually stack up.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Can you platoon in Onslaught? It seems like having three decent players with the ability to coordinate their play on your team would be a huge advantage.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

McGavin posted:

Can you platoon in Onslaught? It seems like having three decent players with the ability to coordinate their play on your team would be a huge advantage.

You can. It's solo + normal platoons in one matchmaker, and then super platoons of 7 dudes in the other. And yes, platooning would be the way to go, because having even two actual functional humans on your team is a massive advantage. Sadly all my WoT friends have quit the game years ago, but if anyone wants to platoon up on EU servers, I'm on there as soralapio most nights.

McGavin posted:

In Ranked you also didn't need to hit the top rank to get the tank reward. I'd hit the tank reward level, get one more win because the next level included a free premium day or some other decent reward, and then quit playing.

You don't need to hit the top rank for the tanks in Onslaught either, it's Silver here as well out of... I dunno, Iron to Gold and Turbo Gold or whatever.

Vando posted:

Winrate is less important than point farming it seems, if you can point farm reliably to lessen the impact of losses then the wins will eventually stack up.

Yep, if you can consistently place at the top of your teams, win or lose, you will make progress. But the trouble is, since you always lose at least SOME points in a defeat, if you just play to be the top guy by camping in A1 and trying to damage farm after your team has died, it's not gonna work. And you still see 47% shitters trying it constantly. And if you try to actually play for a win on a team with unbelievable morons, you will just die fairly quickly because 5/7 of your team is "flanking" instead of playing the objective, and then you lose a lot of points.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 1, 2024

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Thanks for the answers everyone. Sounds like I better just not bother, as I hated ranked and this seems to be even worse.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Incidentally his WR would be ~40% if it wasn't being buoyed by high WRs in some very low tier seal clubber tanks.

He finished the game with 0 damage, 15 XP.

Giving up on the LIS after one loss, then playing 20+ times in Patton the Prank is big brain energy.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The new Japanese heavies must be at least 50% ammo rack.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
What a rough past few days. I've not been able to get a decent game in :smith:.

Edit: Past few days I've been getting my rear end handed to me. I am not used to eating humble pie :colbert:.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 4, 2024

Hoppy Goodness
Nov 26, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

What a rough past few days. I've not been able to get a decent game in :smith:.

Edit: Past few days I've been getting my rear end handed to me. I am not used to eating humble pie :colbert:.

I struggled this weekend as well. Lost .04% on my overall win/loss, which had been on an upward trend in January.

skwidd
Mar 30, 2003
A few of you have complained about the past few days have been horrible. How can you be competitive with teams like this?

In 3 days, 1 win on 11 games.

skwidd fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 6, 2024

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

man, i had a really cool game today on mines

i was bottom tier in a kv-4, which is like worst case scenario. your gun is pretty good but not against tier 10s, your armor is good but not against tier 10s. so i just kinda chill and wait for the game to come to me. eventually it's down to me and an object 277 against six tanks. the 277 and i peek and poke and take out the enemies one by one until it's me versus a new japanese t9 heavy, arty, and a t95. i kill the t95 as he's turning to get me, then the japanese tank drives off the hill and crashes and dies before hitting me, so i take no damage, which is good because im at 40hp. i strategically pause coming around the corner and arty tries to blind fire and misses, so i now have free reign to the cap circle. i blind fire into the bush he might be in, but no hit, so i go and sit up against the rock so he HAS to come around the corner. I have HE loaded, we get to 80% on the cap and he appears. I shoot

doesnt pen. he sends me to hell before i reload.

this game rules somtimes even if it was a loss but i did get a top gun in a game where i was bottom tier

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

And that's why you never load HE.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

McGavin posted:

And that's why you never load HE.

Getting hosed over by HE is a rite of passage.

Also, the new loot boxes look baddddddddddddddd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I had to load HE there to have a chance of winning. my HP was so low that if he got a single shot off, I was dead, and my standard rounds have 320 alpha. tier 10 soviet arty has 440 hp