Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Hey is the Westeros: Total War mod for Medieval 2 actually good, or is it mediocre and only popular because of the theme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Trustworthy posted:

Hey is the Westeros: Total War mod for Medieval 2 actually good, or is it mediocre and only popular because of the theme?

I gave it a shot and it seemed pretty similar to normal M2 except with a Westeros map and faction/unit names. I was put off very quickly by the combat mod it forces you to use which slows combat down so much I ran out of time in a siege assault because the armoured swordsmen I sent over the wall and the armoured swordsmen they had defending the wall fought for the entire duration of the battle without either side getting anywhere. :suicide:

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I don't suppose anyone here happens to know if the various "instills fear" effects in Shogun 2 stack? I can't seem to find anything beyond speculation.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I don't suppose anyone here happens to know if the various "instills fear" effects in Shogun 2 stack? I can't seem to find anything beyond speculation.

In general different fear effects stack as long as they aren't the same thing. For example, you could stack fear from whistling arrows and the Warrior Monk's battle cry ability, but you couldn't stack battle cries from two different units of Warrior Monks.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
While this might be a little pedantic, morale effects will stack with different effects but not with itself. "Instils fear" is one such morale effect, which has a -4 penalty. A unit that is under the effect of "Instils fear" can't be feared more, nor can a unit with fear cause some sort of super fear if it has multiple retainers or skills that give it the fear ability.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Holy cow, the Japanese ironclads are really, really weird to play with. 3 guns and gatling guns?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

shalcar posted:

While this might be a little pedantic, morale effects will stack with different effects but not with itself. "Instils fear" is one such morale effect, which has a -4 penalty. A unit that is under the effect of "Instils fear" can't be feared more, nor can a unit with fear cause some sort of super fear if it has multiple retainers or skills that give it the fear ability.

This is what I was looking for. Thanks.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why is the Mod manager for shogun 2 greyed out on the launcher that starts when T start Rome II?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SquadronROE posted:

Holy cow, the Japanese ironclads are really, really weird to play with. 3 guns and gatling guns?

If you're talking about the Kotetsu, they're pretty weird at first, but once you figure out the trick, they're the absolute simplest ships to handle.

See, those three guns are misleading - they only really have ONE gun worth mentioning, the one that points straight forward. The thing is, that gun is the single most powerful and longest-ranged gun in the entire game, and as mentioned, it points straight forward.

So, tactic? Steam straight at the enemy until you get into range, start firing, and backpedal when they turn around to chase you. Flawless victories every single time using the simplest possible tactic in the book.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

In Shalcar's Lp he was able to tell if a province was rich or poor before conquering it, and thus know whether it was worth the admin cost. How did he do that?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

In Shalcar's Lp he was able to tell if a province was rich or poor before conquering it, and thus know whether it was worth the admin cost. How did he do that?

Buttons above the minimap, click on the settlement icon, check the upper right windows. It has a list of the total wealth of visible provinces.

EDIT: Wait, that's for Rome 2. I'm not sure about S2.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Buttons above the minimap, click on the settlement icon, check the upper right windows. It has a list of the total wealth of visible provinces.

EDIT: Wait, that's for Rome 2. I'm not sure about S2.

How much admin does each province add?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Pretty sure Shalcar did the math himself for the LP; might want to ask him or check the LP thread/archive to see just how that works.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Provinces no longer have fertility. Some of the villages give more wealth than others though.

The best provinces, just min-max wealth-wise, are coastal ones. Africa is probably the richest one in the game because it has 4 ports. However, I haven't actually crunched numbers with the villages, so there might be some that get ridiculous bonuses.

Oh wait, you mean Shogun 2?

Just check the fertility of the farms. Mouse over the farm icon on the campaign map, if it's been scouted. It'll say like "Barren" or "fertile" or something like that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Green Man Gaming is doing a huge Total War franchise sale right now. A lot of the older single titles are 75% off and you can get some great bundles with the current discounts.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SeanBeansShako posted:

Green Man Gaming is doing a huge Total War franchise sale right now. A lot of the older single titles are 75% off and you can get some great bundles with the current discounts.

Don't forget the 20% off coupon code that stacks with the sale:
GMG20-ODON7-FLUA7

That's how I got introduced to the series last year, buying this bad boy for $33. http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/strategy/total-war-grandmaster-collection/

I still have only played Shogun 2, Fall, and Napoleon out of the bundle though, and never touched a mod. :shobon:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh drat yeah, forgot the magic coupon code. But yeah goons, get in this. Pick up Napoleon especially if you still haven't touched it because of Empire (what is wrong with you).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh drat yeah, forgot the magic coupon code. But yeah goons, get in this. Pick up Napoleon especially if you still haven't touched it because of Empire (what is wrong with you).

Yeah, I was tempted to pick Napoleon. How is it in comparison to Fall of the Samurai, if I enjoyed the poo poo out of that one?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Azran posted:

Yeah, I was tempted to pick Napoleon. How is it in comparison to Fall of the Samurai, if I enjoyed the poo poo out of that one?

Just as polished as Fall Of The Samurai. It really only suffers from the slightly off AI like all modern Total War games. Everything else is rock solid.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
When you uninstall Napoleon (or any other TW game) on Steam, are replays retained like saves and config data?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Baron Porkface posted:

This is a great question, so I thought I would write out a little effort post on it and crosspost it in the LP as well.

Let's imagine that we want to find out how valuable Harima is:

There are a couple of ways we can accomplish this.

If we click the 6th icon underneath the map on the top right of the screen (Looks like a little castle), it brings up a giant list of all the provinces in the game that is split up into your provinces and others. This can then be sorted by clicking the red arrows by whatever criteria you want. In this case, we sort by name and find Harima in the list.

The second way we can do this is to click on the province capital to select it. This will change the title card to the more in depth version, as shown above. If you can't see the province capital to click it, you can always mouse over the farming building (as also displayed above), which will give you a rough idea of the wealth of the province (Since you can see both farm level and fertility, two major factors in province wealth).

Lastly, if you can see the province capital, you can double click on it like any of your own provinces and you will get the province summary screen. While it doesn't have all the information that one of your owned provinces will have, it has more than enough to assess the value of the province (Building wealth added, base town wealth, farming wealth and town growth are all present). This is also great for working out if a province will be rebellious due to religious differences *before* you conquer it!

Baron Porkface posted:

Administration Cost per province is not a fixed amount, each province you take increases the administration cost by a lesser amount, although the total reduction in percentage terms of your actual take is roughly constant.

As an example (These are not the real numbers), your first province might add 10% to Administration Cost, so you get 90% of your tax take (100% - 10%). Your 10th province might increase your Administration Cost from 50% to 55% (5% more), but that still reduces your current tax take by 10% (Going from getting 50% of the income to 45% of the income is a loss of 10%).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Azran posted:

Napoleon rocks. Siege AI is OK, mostly because there are almost never walls to get caught on. Every now and again the AI will park a cannon on the wrong side of a farmhouse or hill and fire all their ammunition harmlessly into the building or dirt.

The Peninsula Campaign expansion is good too, set in Spain. It changes the behavior of agents a little bit, and adds some really cool guerrilla units that can be deployed almost anywhere on the battle map (like the ninjas in Shogun)

The extra unit packs are not really that great, they're mostly just reskins of basic units with tweaked stats.
But if you're playing as Britain and not maxing out your unit cap with kilted Highlanders, I don't know what to tell you.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The absolute best feature of Napoleon is that it removed the feature of siege battles.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

The absolute best feature of Napoleon is that it removed the feature of siege battles.

I thought the best feature was the new replenishment system. Goddamn that is just light years ahead of everything else they'd tried up to that point.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You're right, the replenishment feature was a god send. If there was a mod to add replenishment and remove siege battles from Empire I would totally break that game out to play it again. As is it's way too much of a pain in the rear end without those changes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Horror stories about unit replenishment has made it so I have never installed an older TW title that didn't have it. :ohdear:

I loved Napoleon, and I'm still wondering if I should give Empire a whirl.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Horror stories about unit replenishment has made it so I have never installed an older TW title that didn't have it. :ohdear:

I loved Napoleon, and I'm still wondering if I should give Empire a whirl.

The replenishment system for Empire isn't so much irritating for the player as it is broken. Press button, pay money, two turns later no matter where you are or what you've been doing, BOOM, everyone's back to fighting fit. It's handy and convenient (and so arguably in some ways a step up from its predecessors), but it almost entirely removes the sting of casualties because hey, how often are you going to fight multiple stacks in quick succession over two turns?

M2 and R1, on the other hand, had giant pains in the rear end of shuttling troops around and playing rebel whackamole, M2 being arguably worse than R1 since they even have unit pools that take time to replenish. That said, even if reinforcement is a headache, they're definitely worth a spin - I particularly recommend Medieval 2. It's got a lot of flavor and charm to it that I think few of the newer games quite capture - the family tree/character sheet in particular.

Re: Empire - if you really like watching musketeers go at each other (I do), there's worse things to spend your money on. But you're probably not really going to be buying it for its scintillating gameplay, let's be clear upfront.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
In M2TW I just run my armies into the ground. Eventually they are full of half or third strength units and I hit the M key and send in new units to replace stuff. Or I just retrain them at new castles that I just conquered with them.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Merge and train new units was pretty much the order of the old days. It had the added benefit that anyone who was tough enough to survive the campaign got merged into a massively experienced superunit.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SHISHKABOB posted:

In M2TW I just run my armies into the ground. Eventually they are full of half or third strength units and I hit the M key and send in new units to replace stuff. Or I just retrain them at new castles that I just conquered with them.

By the end of medieval 2 i'd have forward armies composed entirely of half strength units that i'll just charge into the enemy and see how much damage I can do.

I managed to get the pilgrims with the clubs (i forget what they called) down to 1 unit. That guy used his chance in the rest of the battle to charge with the knights and racked up around 30 kills before catching a crossbow bolt. It was fun in its own way to send people off like that.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pilgrims with clubs? Aren't those just... pilgrims?

It's probably because my first total war game was M2TW, but I never felt like replenishing units was that big of a deal.

I guess you can really get spoiled with the new stuff :V

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 20, 2013

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Tomn posted:

The replenishment system for Empire isn't so much irritating for the player as it is broken. Press button, pay money, two turns later no matter where you are or what you've been doing, BOOM, everyone's back to fighting fit. It's handy and convenient (and so arguably in some ways a step up from its predecessors), but it almost entirely removes the sting of casualties because hey, how often are you going to fight multiple stacks in quick succession over two turns?

M2 and R1, on the other hand, had giant pains in the rear end of shuttling troops around and playing rebel whackamole, M2 being arguably worse than R1 since they even have unit pools that take time to replenish. That said, even if reinforcement is a headache, they're definitely worth a spin - I particularly recommend Medieval 2. It's got a lot of flavor and charm to it that I think few of the newer games quite capture - the family tree/character sheet in particular.

Re: Empire - if you really like watching musketeers go at each other (I do), there's worse things to spend your money on. But you're probably not really going to be buying it for its scintillating gameplay, let's be clear upfront.

This is helpful.
I should note that I already own Empire (bought it in a megapack) but haven't ever installed it :effort:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Also, did they remove the wounded/killed distinction for troops? I remember you could get your 100-man strong unit reduced to thirty guys in a siege, but at least a couple dozen weren't actually dead, but wounded, so you'd end up with a ~60-man unit after the battle ended.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Azran posted:

Also, did they remove the wounded/killed distinction for troops? I remember you could get your 100-man strong unit reduced to thirty guys in a siege, but at least a couple dozen weren't actually dead, but wounded, so you'd end up with a ~60-man unit after the battle ended.

Which game are you talking about? In m2tw I don't know about any specifics, but I've observed that units that get shot up by arrows tend to get more "healed casualties" than others. I think there's also ancillaries that your generals can get that increase the number of dudes who get healed after the battle. That might imply that there's some hidden calculation based on various factors that determines how many dudes get healed in a unit after a battle.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Which game are you talking about? In m2tw I don't know about any specifics, but I've observed that units that get shot up by arrows tend to get more "healed casualties" than others. I think there's also ancillaries that your generals can get that increase the number of dudes who get healed after the battle. That might imply that there's some hidden calculation based on various factors that determines how many dudes get healed in a unit after a battle.

Yes, sorry, I meant MTW2. I haven't seen it in the last couple games they released (never played Empire or Napoleon).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best thing about Medieval 2 was powergaming the Pope via assassination and blackmailing other catholics.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Azran posted:

Yes, sorry, I meant MTW2. I haven't seen it in the last couple games they released (never played Empire or Napoleon).

It's definitely a thing in Rome 2, though thinking about it now I can't recall whether it was in Shogun 2 or not.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The best thing about Medieval 2 was powergaming the Pope via assassination and blackmailing other catholics.

My favored method of powergaming the Pope was loading a boat up with priests and bomb-converting Muslim provinces en masse to give them piety bonuses until every single cardinal in the Curia belonged to me. Doesn't matter who anyone else votes for when all the candidates are mine and so are all the votes!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I'm pretty sure there are retainers in S2 that reduce deaths in battle so I think non-fatal casualties were still a thing.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Gimnbo posted:

I'm pretty sure there are retainers in S2 that reduce deaths in battle so I think non-fatal casualties were still a thing.

Not true. All retainers that used to reduce casualties like surgeon etc now increase replenishment rate of their army stack instead, to simulate injured men recovering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Which does seem to have more or less the same effect if a battle happens between on an enemy's turn - when it comes back to your turn again you'll have replenished a bunch of your losses if you were in friendly territory.