Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I feel like the "they have assist trophies in the game" thing probably won't matter much.

I assumed they were going to do something like the Hero, Bowser Jr & the Koopalings, the inklings, the villagers, or Olimar & Alph. I'm glad ARMS will get a playable rep though since while I wasn't interested in getting the game itself, I think it looked like fun and looked like something that'd be neat and original to pull from for Smash.

RIP Etika though, I imagine he'd have loved to see whoever ends up getting picked, especially if it is Min Min or Twintelle. Also if Twintelle ends up playable then Bayonetta won't be the only playable character with magic hair :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

FirstAidKite posted:

I feel like the "they have assist trophies in the game" thing probably won't matter much.

I assumed they were going to do something like the Hero, Bowser Jr & the Koopalings, the inklings, the villagers, or Olimar & Alph. I'm glad ARMS will get a playable rep though since while I wasn't interested in getting the game itself, I think it looked like fun and looked like something that'd be neat and original to pull from for Smash.

RIP Etika though, I imagine he'd have loved to see whoever ends up getting picked, especially if it is Min Min or Twintelle. Also if Twintelle ends up playable then Bayonetta won't be the only playable character with magic hair :v:

It's currently got a free trial until the 6th, if you're able, you should definitely try it out

Rip etika
https://youtu.be/0OiDCMheo3Q

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 27, 2020

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Katty! posted:

i can finally stop playing this game that i love :toot:

great job, skeleton hunter

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do not know why this is the case in games like Phantasy Star Online 2 and its ilk but I just want to get arranged into a group and murder instanced monsters, why is this overly complex and difficult to arrange?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Katty! posted:

i can finally stop playing this game that i love :toot:

:hfive:

Bloodborne is the only game I've ever loved enough to platinum. Feels good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GUI posted:

It's canon, just not really referenced outside a throwaway line in Peace Walker since Kojima didn't write it.
I mean, that throwaway line is snake and kaz laughing about how they're glad that stupid bullshit is over. that's kojima telling you not to give a poo poo about poops, and you shouldn't cause those games are rear end

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
So my joycon drift is evolving from a quirk to a nuisance and I’m looking into my options. I know I can send them to Nintendo but I don’t want to be without any controllers during prime Animal Crossing time. Are the new joycons any better about not drifting or should I just suck it up and buy a pro controller? The portability of the switch is a big plus for me and I play it undocked as much as I do docked.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You can't actually send them to Nintendo right now because their repair centers are shut down due to the coronavirus, iirc.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Assist trophies are the only things I consider to be 'hard stops' since they have mechanics built into them and removing them would be weird.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

Assist trophies are the only things I consider to be 'hard stops' since they have mechanics built into them and removing them would be weird.

Why remove them?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

One day I want to see Waluigi use a Waluigi assist trophy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Why remove them?

It'd probably be visually confusing if there was a player and an assist trophy of the same character on screen at the same time.

It's not an unsolvable problem, I guess. They could probably just make it so if you're playing as a character who also has an assist trophy, that assist trophy can't spawn. Not really ideal, but if they did want to make an assist trophy into a playable character at some point without removing the assist trophy, that's probably the best option.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think they would ever remove an assist trophy either, because you'd have people going ballistic about REMOVING CONTENT THAT I PAID FOR

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Spring Man has the worst most boring design in the game. Pretty much anyone else would be more appealing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't really played ARMS. Are the characters distinct enough that it would matter for Smash Bros. gameplay which one was added?

If not, it'd be cool to do the Bowser Jr./Koopalings thing and add multiple characters as different "costumes."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, there's some distinction between characters, but the basic gameplay is not radically different. The biggest variation comes from which fists you equip.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
People (well, barely people, mostly monsters) are reselling Ring Fit Adventure for $270 minimum on Amazon.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

So my joycon drift is evolving from a quirk to a nuisance and I’m looking into my options. I know I can send them to Nintendo but I don’t want to be without any controllers during prime Animal Crossing time. Are the new joycons any better about not drifting or should I just suck it up and buy a pro controller? The portability of the switch is a big plus for me and I play it undocked as much as I do docked.

Electrical contact cleaner is the home fix until you can call Nintendo, which as mentioned is closed for Corona. We don't know where the good joycons begin and end, but the lite has completely different contacts.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 27, 2020

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

:hfive:

Bloodborne is the only game I've ever loved enough to platinum. Feels good.

i kinda unwittingly platinumed god of war because it's so easy to, and now feel compelled to do the same in games i like more like nier and bloodborne

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

I haven't really played ARMS. Are the characters distinct enough that it would matter for Smash Bros. gameplay which one was added?

If not, it'd be cool to do the Bowser Jr./Koopalings thing and add multiple characters as different "costumes."

They are definitely distinct visually and I think they get different loadouts for the kinds of weapons they can use but I imagine a smash bros fighter would probably just give them a little bit of every weapon like how Ness uses stuff from his party members or Byleth has stuff from the other house heads.

Harrow posted:

It'd probably be visually confusing if there was a player and an assist trophy of the same character on screen at the same time.

Shadow's an assist trophy and Sonic's still playable

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Shadow's an assist trophy and Sonic's still playable

Whatever, Mr. President.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

Electrical contact cleaner is the home fix until you can call Nintendo, which as mentioned is closed for Corona. We don't know where the good joycons begin and end, but the lite has completely different contacts.

also dont even the new contacts still have the same issue, theyre just more durable and will take longer to break?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you're describing entropy

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

They are definitely distinct visually and I think they get different loadouts for the kinds of weapons they can use but I imagine a smash bros fighter would probably just give them a little bit of every weapon like how Ness uses stuff from his party members or Byleth has stuff from the other house heads.

To clarify: Every character can eventually get and use every arm, but they each start with their own, which their individual abilities enhance. The fighters also have another passive, like minmin can kick to parry, and ribbon girls multi jump.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

To clarify: Every character can eventually get and use every arm, but they each start with their own, which their individual abilities enhance. The fighters also have another passive, like minmin can kick to parry, and ribbon girls triple jump.

Ah cool, like mario kart games (well, mario kart ds, I think later mario karts just have you unlocking parts of karts for customization rather than new karts that can eventually be driven by anyone)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Stux posted:

also dont even the new contacts still have the same issue, theyre just more durable and will take longer to break?

No actual data on that yet, if you mean the lite. Some YouTubers jumped on what they thought was drift, but it wasn't, and initial reports were never publicly corrected. The joycons though, don't know if they've ever been fully fixed.

FirstAidKite posted:

Ah cool, like mario kart games (well, mario kart ds, I think later mario karts just have you unlocking parts of karts for customization rather than new karts that can eventually be driven by anyone)

The titular ARMS refers to the 'gloves' they wear, but every fighter has different abilities, weaknesses and strengths, way more diverse than mk's weight divisions. Really good game that didn't get a fair shake because of perceived lack of content.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Really good game that didn't get a fair shake because of perceived lack of content.

What content did it have? I know at launch they only had a few characters and I don't know what else the game had beyond that and the different weapons. Admittedly I thought it had only a bit less content than a fighting game usually has.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's got me thinking, what console launch title is the console launch titleyist? i'm going to say clockwork knight, for the sega saturn

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

What content did it have? I know at launch they only had a few characters and I don't know what else the game had beyond that and the different weapons. Admittedly I thought it had only a bit less content than a fighting game usually has.

That was it. You also had to play singleplayer to unlock the ability to play online multiplayer which was a weird decision.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

it's got me thinking, what console launch title is the console launch titleyist? i'm going to say clockwork knight, for the sega saturn

Wii Sports

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

Heavenly Sword

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

8 characters and about 30(x2) arms, which i understand doesn't seem alot when you stack it against long time standing series, but the depth of those arms adds a lot. It had multiple modes and a tutorial at launch, so besides character count had roughly the same content as SFV, which it may have out sold.

Barudak posted:

That was it. You also had to play singleplayer to unlock the ability to play online multiplayer which was a weird decision.

I think the issue with this was the ai was standard ai, kind of cheap, so it was hard to mash through.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Kameo: Elements of Power

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

Kameo: Elements of Power

gently caress!!!!!!!!!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

drat i don't even know what this is but it's already become my frontrunner

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Ridge Racer, or racing games in general.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what makes a game launch title-esque? can i have a formal rubric?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Kameo is at least as good as Knack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

drat i don't even know what this is but it's already become my frontrunner

same lol