Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Songbearer posted:

I've finally completed all of Blood's official material on Lightly Broiled and fully intend to go through it again with Made To Order enemies on max, but I grabbed Bloody Pulp Fiction as well because I had an intense craving for More Content. Just passed the first level and other than some janky triggers that made it a little confusing to get through I adore the vibe and the detail. Are there any other unofficial map packs that follow in this quality?

Bloody pulp fictions getting an update soon. Well, like half of it is, since one of the guys who made it hosed off, but its still more then half the material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So a few weeks ago there was a discussion regarding the Jedi Knight series of games, which reminded me I had Jedi Knight II in my steam library so I figure I'd give it a playthrough.

I've played until roughly half way through the Cairn level, which is about the game's mid-point I think, so here are some thoughts.

First, I installed a few mods.
Reshade-Sweet FX which improves the lighting
and
Ultimate Weapons 3.1 which replaces some of the weapon models with better looking ones. In particular, I appreciate how the imperial blaster more closely resembles the model from Dark Forces

I also played with dismemberment settings set to max, and g_saberrealisticcombat 1 because that is the correct way to play JKII and I refuse to hear otherwise :colbert:

Pros:
-Bucking the general opinion at release, I actually enjoyed the first two levels. They are not very long, and are a great homage to Dark Forces. It's mostly just you, your E-11 blaster, and a lot of dead Storm Troopers, but its fine. Gameplay is fast, puzzles are simple, and you finish the second level right about when it begins to wear out it's welcome

-Lightsaber combat is a joy. I have yet to play a Star Wars game that nails the raw power and feeling of wielding one of these things. If you play with dismemberment, slicing and dicing your way through waves of storm troopers is thrilling. Reborn fights are short, but frantic, with slow-mo death shots of decapitated heads a treat. Also the light saber vrooommm sound is spot on, as are the practical effects.

-Speaking of the sound design, it makes liberal use of the Star Wars license for authentic sounds. Blasters sound like blasters, light sabers have the correct effects, Storm Troopers shout "Hey you there!" while the cresendo of John Williams score increases. You feel like you are in a scene from one of the movies. If anything, JKII does a fantastic job getting the Star Wars atmosphere right.

-Force powers! There are quite a few and they are fun to use. It's a "choose your Storm Trooper murder method" decision. Do you, Force push a group of them off the ledge? Force pull their guns away? use force lighting to turn them into temporary batteries? Force speed your way around them...or pick one up with Force Choke and then toss them over the ledge!

Cons:

-Level design is bland and at times, just boring. Mostly you will be in gun-metal grey hallways. While Star Wars features lots of gun-metal ship interior scenes in its films, there are plenty of other locales such as Dantooine, Tatooine, forest worlds like Kashyyyk, ect. While I haven't gotten there yet, you do end up on Yavin, the swamp levels are narrow, murky, and linear.

-Too many puzzles, or no clear way to proceed. In between the fun of murdering hoard of imperial troops, you will spend an inordinate amount of time wondering how the gently caress to proceed in a level. Often times objectives are unclear, there is no minimap telling you where to go, or even in game clues. Many times I found myself shooting at random crates, or jumping on various ledges trying to find some obscure way out of a level. It really fucks with the flow of the game. One moment you are in a massive fight, slicing through legions of storm troopers while the John Williams score soars, feeling like a true hero of the Republic! The next, you are jumping awkwardly on random crates, in silence, seeing if you can reach that air duck at the top of the room...

-Nar Shaddaa - gently caress Nar Shaddaa I remember I hated this level when I first played this game and time has made it worse. It's the tease, its the first level where you get to use your light saber, but instead of feeling like a bad-rear end jedi you are dodging spamming thermal grenade enemies, getting insta-sniped from greedo look alikes, and awkwardly not trying to fall to your death with bullshit jumping puzzles.

Below is an example. See that red circle? THAT is where one of the snipers is hidden. On hard, if he hits you, its game over

-AI - I almost want to make this a positive because it's not like Storm Troopers in the films are bright either. In the game the AI does one of two things. Stand in shoot, run at you and shoot. Except Reborn/Shadow Troopers who engage in melee. Again, I list this as a con, but in reality in the movies Storm Troopers mostly served to stand and get shot so I'm ok with the AI being non-existent.

Once you reach Bespin and fight your first reborn, and get some honest to god force powers the game becomes a lot more fun. However, due to the repetitive level design and how combat is constantly broken up by long, boring sections of figuring out just where to go next, I ended up getting bored. I may come back and finish the game as I think I'm past the half-way marker (I haven't reached the infamous stealth section yet) but for as much fun as the light-saber combat moments are, there are a lot of early-2000s level design decisions that unfortunately hold it back.

some screenshots!

smoke and lighting effects are just like the movies!

The ID tech 3 engine is used impressively in some spots

Lightsaber duels with Reborn are the best part of the game

Lando! Voiced by Billy Dee Williams!

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 6, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The darkness may be a consequence of using the ReshadeFX mod. The game definitely didn't look like that at release, and may have been brighter as a result?

Jedi Outcast is a really good game, its my favorite in the series. I like it a bit more than Dark Forces because of the lightsaber multiplayer combat which was so much fun at the time, and having tons of cool force powers.

Some of the level design really is annoying though.

Jedi Knight 1 is much rougher, the force powers aren't as fun to use and the live-action cutscenes are kinda goofy. Jedi Academy is just like an expansion to Outcast that polishes a few things and adds some cool new options, but also has you playing a very bland protagonist you can customize instead of Kyle Katarn and I think the story suffers from trying to be more open / RPG like and let you pick missions.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Nar Shaddaa Streets is dark as poo poo with horrible hidden snipers no matter what you do. It's one of those quicksave-dependent design decisions, they expected you to be scumming your way through the game so they threw in a couple gotchas like that just to mess with you. The most obnoxious one imo is the tram ride bit in Cairn Reactor. How the gently caress were you supposed to see that coming?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Nar Shaddaa makes NO loving SENSE. I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to games with questionable level design because as long as the core gameplay is fun that's a-ok, but putting you in a level where you have absolutely no chance to use the very thing you've been looking forward to all game? Jesus christ, what were they thinking? Didn't anyone stop and say "Hey, hold on, couldn't we put this level earlier in the game?" You get the lightsaber and it's about as useful as a toothpick.

The best map for it was the custom one set in the Death Star which was one tiny arena with Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up playing

Oh also there was a level that had a ton of They Might Be Giants songs and was all about loving around having fun and had a swimming pool with a bunch of different diving boards, a bouncy castle room, and arenas for lightsaber dueling and deathmatch

E: Here it is! They Might Be Jedi

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 6, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Biggest improvement that could me made to JO is to enemy AI. The only sort of smart thing the enemies do is run away if you yoink away their guns. Otherwise they either stand still or run around a little bit during firefights.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The fact that Raven toils away on Call of Duty expansion pack maps is one of the saddest fates possible.

(Also the same that happened to Neversoft, because why not?)

ETA: And I largely LIKE Call of duty.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

John Murdoch posted:

That is a very good list of games.

Bulletstorm has made me realize that the unabashed FPS Arcade Shooter is a tragically underserved subgenre. DOOM has Arcade Mode (which I love), but there aren't very many FPS games that are constantly prodding you to chase numbers like this. It's very addicting.

EDIT: Coincidentally, after I finished Bulletstorm, I started playing The Darkness II--and one of the first things I noticed was that it, too, had a sort of score system for killing enemies in various fashions. Definitely pales in comparison to something bombastic like Bulletstorm, but I guess that's not really the point of it in The Darkness II.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 6, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Bulletstorm has made me realize that the unabashed FPS Arcade Shooter is a tragically underserved subgenre. DOOM has Arcade Mode (which I love), but there aren't very many FPS games that are constantly prodding you to chase numbers like this. It's very addicting.

EDIT: Coincidentally, after I finished Bulletstorm, I started playing The Darkness II--and one of the first things I noticed was that it, too, had a sort of score system for killing enemies in various fashions. Definitely pales in comparison to something bombastic like Bulletstorm, but I guess that's not really the point of it in The Darkness II.

Agreed. Halo had some side modes like firefight and Call of Duty had its zombies modes and they were both extremely extremely popular, but always treated like a side novelty.

Shame we don't get more full games focused on that kinda action, but most AAA FPS are a combination of cinematic and/or realistic military now. Not that call of duty isn't still arcadey they just stick to deathmatch because they have no imagination or something.

Its funny how long it took the industry to get around to the battle royale format, and now everybody's making one of those. We can only hope after that craze burns out that something else crops up.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Firefight and Zombies ended up being headliner modes for their franchises, and there was a big surge of similar games for a while on the PC culminating in Payday 2 and Killing Floor 2.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

The best part about Nar Shaddaa in JKII is occasionally when a sniper shoots at you you'll auto-dodge which briefly puts you in force speed mode - whereupon you immediately leap to your death as you misjudge your speed going for your next jump.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Enforcers suck and Dukes enemy variety suuuuuuucks. Thank you Civvie

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

chiefnewo posted:

The best part about Nar Shaddaa in JKII is occasionally when a sniper shoots at you you'll auto-dodge which briefly puts you in force speed mode - whereupon you immediately leap to your death as you misjudge your speed going for your next jump.

Nar Shaddaa sucks a lot, but I still put JKII above the blander JA.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Somebody a while back said something along the lines of Jedi Outcast having "higher highs and lower lows than Jedi Academy". I've played through both games twice and I'd rather settle for that lesser effort if I ever want some lightsaber slicing again.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The first Jedi Knight is the best one, despite the early 3D engine. I loved both JO and DF, for different reasons, but neither were quite as fun to me as JK. I still liked JA alright, but it's definitely the redheaded stepchild of the bunch.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

JA is just too generic for the most part. There are some high points but it's never as memorable as the JK or JO. Also, Rosh is a terrible character. They should have made him slightly more likable so you'd feel conflicted about killing him. Instead they made you hate him from the opening cutscene all the way to the light/dark ending choice.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tbh that makes JA the only Star Wars game where the dark side is as seductive and feels as right to those who fall under its sway as the movies portrayed it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

skasion posted:

Tbh that makes JA the only Star Wars game where the dark side is as seductive and feels as right to those who fall under its sway as the movies portrayed it
The "choice" aspect is still better than what they did for JK. The only way to get that is to go around murdering civilians, and choosing dark side powere. Then it makes an arbitrary decision about whether you're a good or bad guy 3/4 through the game, and then you either murder your best friend or you don't.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Quake 2 RTX is out.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I'm more interested in what people will do with the source code as they are going to put it on github. The replacement textures look gross in the steam screenshots.

When I play Q1/Q2 now I always run gl_texturemode in GL_NEAREST. So I am biased about how it looks.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 6, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone know what the file size is? Is this relatively close to the original in size, or is it 20+GB now to download?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone know what the file size is? Is this relatively close to the original in size, or is it 20+GB now to download?

On the direct download from nvidia its 1gb plus you need the original game if you want to play more then 3 levels.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SPACE HOMOS posted:

On the direct download from nvidia its 1gb plus you need the original game if you want to play more then 3 levels.

Gotcha, that's pretty reasonable and a quick download if I wanted to test the performance on my GTX1080.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's gonna run at like 10 fps on anything other than an RTX card I assume.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

CJacobs posted:

It's gonna run at like 10 fps on anything other than an RTX card I assume.

I'm figuring the same, but worth a shot. I already don't like the whole "bright rear end day" motif it had to use to create a traceable light source, so it'll always be sourceported original for me > this but it's a cool concept.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just tried it on a 1070. 10fps and unstoppable control lag. Not surprising, but don't even bother unless you have a GPU more expensive than most people.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Kins posted:

Just tried it on a 1070. 10fps and unstoppable control lag. Not surprising, but don't even bother unless you have a GPU more expensive than most people.

Well I've got a 1080, so i'm expecting nothing less that 120+ FPS based on those estimates. This last sentence was a joke so I probably won't even try it now.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Songbearer posted:

The best map for it was the custom one set in the Death Star which was one tiny arena with Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up playing

Hell yeah I used to play this map in my friend's (and fellow Goon) house when we were like 13. Just chopping off heads for hours.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hell yes give me more of this. Flashing numbers up on screen with bombastic kill/counters. Just inject that poo poo into my veinsszzzz

I've kept looking for a Doom mod that does something like this and Go Medieval On Their Asses, HXRectic, Demonsteel, Reelism probably come closest. Feel free to suggest others.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 6, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chaosapiant posted:

Well I've got a 1080, so i'm expecting nothing less that 120+ FPS based on those estimates. This last sentence was a joke so I probably won't even try it now.

You need a 2XXX RTX card for playable framerates. You need a 1060 or higher to even try to run it, anything lower than that and it will probably refuse to launch.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

haveblue posted:

You need a 2XXX RTX card for playable framerates. You need a 1060 or higher to even try to run it, anything lower than that and it will probably refuse to launch.

I know, I was being faseeshus. I'll be curious what the haver of those newer cards say about performance.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was wrong about Avactor, it isn't a 5-6 map wad, it's a 10 map one.

While good, the truth is that it suffers of being a bit too samey. Both visually and in gameplay. I don't remember the differences between the 2nd, 4th and 6th map, or any map at all, because all of them are the same open sprawl map design consisting of a mix of jungle, caverns, grottos, ruins and ziggurats. Same with the gameplay, because you can't say 'this was the one tight, small but full of traps, this one was the one full of chasms and revenants and this one the one with few but powerful enemies'. And in the latter half of the wad it starts being bigger and bigger in enemy count. It starts with 220 enemies. After 300. 400, 500, 600 enemies. And now in the second to last map..

O_o

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I was originally gonna play Avactor with HND but then I skipped around to look at enemy counts and noped right outta there.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hell yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h58BpLGz5Ic

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've been spreading Civvie's channel because of him saying that at 100k subs he'll do a DNF video and ooooh boy I want to see him enjoy it :q:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The videos where Civvie enjoys the games are better than the ones where he hates them imo..

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Civvie hits 100K subs. The video opens with a handheld camera shot of his monitor at the DNF splash screen. The camera slowly turns to reveal Civvie's hunched, bleary-eyed face and it's revealed that he was Randy Pitchford, all along.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

The Kins posted:

unstoppable control lag

I had the same with my 2070. Game is running at 35-40 fps but looking around lags. Maybe it can be fixed in the settings. I haven't taken a look yet.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
lmao
https://twitter.com/newblood_txt/status/1136471493418856449

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Legit had to check the time bar.