Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My question about Faith Goldie came from the Rainbow Poppy thing. It looks like it’s 100% Right Wing Grift poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

People don't care that she is lying.

"Why do these loving GAYS have to take over everything!?!?!"

I want to loving slap so many people.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah but what the hell is this palEcon stuff from her Twitter? It's right before her e-transfer donation link lol

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Don't follow nazis on twitter.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Professor Shark posted:

It looks like it’s 100% Right Wing Grift poo poo

It's faith Goldy, so this is guaranteed and any amount of time you spend thinking about this is considerably more attention than she deserves.

Jehde posted:

Wisdom

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah but what the hell is this palEcon stuff from her Twitter? It's right before her e-transfer donation link lol

No idea, but that sniveling dork white supremacist from The Rebel got involved and blasted it into the Conservative outrage sphere

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jehde posted:

I don't, just planning a lesson on applying Critical Thinking skills to media

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Full story is this

Cyara Bird, a failed Conservative Party candidate in Manitoba, posted on Twitter about her cousin being suspended for being forced to wear a rainbow poppy by her choir teacher and because she refused she was suspended from school. This was immediately retweeted and quoted 10k times on Twitter.

It turned out there was no rainbow poppies at the school and she was suspended from school for printing the below poster and putting it up around the school

Conservative outrage is now trying to make this a free speech there and Cyara Bird had to lock her Twitter because she got caught in a lie and asked for donations or something

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Lassitude posted:

Cheering for that time when Commonwealth soldiers put explosives under a trench at Ypres and killed 10,000 Germans at once. Hooray.

Huh. Hadn't seen that statistic before. One of my ancestors was in the Third Tunneling Battalion which I think was at Ypres (just one of the many question I have for the Regimental diaries).

He left a wife, three children, and the relative safety of an Albertan coal mine to volunteer for the CEF. About the time he volunteered the Germans pioneered the technique of tunneling under enemy positions, blowing them up, then rushing in to occupy the smoking crater. The Allies were scrambling to catch up and threw every miner they could find into the tunnels after that.

These men built supporting infrastructure like underground hospitals and mess halls but their main task was to tunnel 20 - 30 metres deep under enemy lines. While they were digging they were also listening for signs of enemy tunneling and, if detected, would pause to either blow up the enemy tunnelers or break through and engage the enemy in hand to hand combat.

For some strange reason PTSD was higher in the tunnelers than among surface soldiers. One day the Germans got their explosive in first and my ancestor was buried alive for two hours, dug out, sent back to England and eventually Canada to recover. He never returned to the mines.

He didn't even get a medal for contributing to a World First Achievement high score.

And now I'm wondering which side had the Goblins and which the Gnomes. I'm going to hell for sure. Ah well, lots of Goons for company, at least.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's not "inconclusive", it's just literally the wrong type of evidence for "how many votes did this swing". You might as well say the report is inconclusive about whether the moon landing was a hoax. The report seeks to describe the scope and reach of the disinfo operation, but we have no idea how much this kind of stuff translates at the ballot box. The report claims their reach was ~250 million interactions (likes+comments, and who knows how many views), and that's not nothing, but it's also just a tiny portion of all politics-related engagement on social. I don't think there's any good evidence on how this kind of stuff does or doesn't move behaviour, especially given the pretty diffuse channel here. The activity was mostly non-directly election related and aimed at stoking tensions and diffusing radical messages on both the right and left, and to the extent that the Russian operation cares about Canada it'd be malpractice for them to not be amplifying wexit.

I'm also annoyed by the contingent that treat Russia like it's magic to the extent that it's used as a shortcut to dismiss real phenomena as being the result of something foreign to the body politic, but, idk, I think it's also probably the only instance of "be skeptical about your information diet" that's broken through in the mainstream wrt to social media posts. I think "yes, Russia is doing this, and also be skeptical because a whole lot of other actors are" is a more promising jumping off point than "if Russia is doing this, so what."

Given your general attitude towards empiricism and identification in the social sciences, I would think that you appreciate the fact that the writers here are careful to not make unjustified causal claims, instead of using the fact that they're careful about what causal claims they can or can't make to dismiss the descriptive work they do.

I have two responses. One is about New Knowledge and one is about the media, in that order.

The first issue I here is that New Knowledge is not a public institution. It is not conducting peer reviewed studies that are freely available to properly qualified people working at public research universities. It is a private firm using its proprietary knowledge to seek private profit from its activities. More importantly, it is itself a major disinformation service that was conducting exactly the kind of operation it claimed to find evidence of, except that in this case it was New Knowledge faking the appearance of a massive Russia disinformation campaign in Alabama. The real disinfo campaign turned out to be that New Knowledge was intentionally creating the appearance of Russia disinformation where none existed. While I have no doubt they learned some interesting information about how disinformation can spread I certainly do not trust them to accurately convey this information to the public except in whatever narrow ways might fit their interests. Fundamentally they are not on the side of transparency, they are a business with an obvious interest in carving out a niche for themselves. They've also demonstrated that they are more than willing to lie for partisan purposes and to create the appearance of a foreign threat where none exists, as happened in Alabama.

The reports they are issuing have to be read in that context. This is reminiscent of how the think tanks that receive funding from major arms dealers unsurprisingly produce studies that justify military actions or how the think tanks funded by the oil and gas lobby are always downplaying the risks of global warming or claiming the fossil fuel industry can play an important role in the transition. I think it can be interested to look at what these studies are arguing

My second point, regarding the media, is that we have to look at how these reports are actually described in the media. We can fully exonerate the report for a moment and for the sake of debate say that it is well written, honest and candid about its own limitations. I would still argue that the uncritical way that the study was reported on was clearly intended to generate the impression in people's minds that "Russian" interference (the mere fact we all just "Russia" in this context when we should specify the IRA really speaks to how degenerate the discourse here is) was wide ranging, consequential and clearly one of the most important single events of 2016. I don't think there is any other reasonable way to interpret the overall tone of media coverage here. By contrast, the impact of traditional dark money sources or the role of the media in signal boosting Trump's campaign is rarely discussed and never given sustained attention.

By way of analogy, it would be as though a consulting firm that has all the major energy producers as clients released a study showing the impact of taking too many hot showers on energy consumption. Suppose that this study - while being entirely accurate in every statistic it presents - simply does not mention any other activity that consumes energy. It is written as though hot showers are the entirety of the issue. Now imagine this study was brought up every single time global warming was mentioned. Imagine every major news paper and television channel constantly discussed this in the gravest of tones and spoke of how hot showers were a great threat to the climate. Imagine that any time politicians criticized fossil fuel companies they would be asked if they were going to disavow hot showers. Imagine that, while not strictly speaking denying that there were other factors, almost every major opinion leader and academic and journalist mostly omitted those other factors and started making a concerted effort to get people really upset about hot showers and really focused on what can be done to limit their use. Imagine if most of the 'experts' being interviewed by the media and in front of Congress were themselves involved in the energy sector, yet they all kept bringing up the specific danger of hot showers and how they must be limited. Imagine if a number of these individuals had also coincidentally started new companies offering to sell advanced water meters that would carefully ration out hot water or ensure it could only be cold or lukewarm.

Forgive me for that extended and ridiculous analogy but that is more or less how this New Knowledge stuff comes off. My point here is that even in the absence of literal lying, it's quite easy to deceive the public by simply shifting around the emphasis and carefully omitting certain inconvenient parts of the story. I'm not saying there's literally nothing there but the way the media treated this story is ridiculous and all the originators of the research are inherently and fundamentally untrustworthy.

I also dispute the idea that this story is in any way encouraging people to be more skeptical. Quite the opposite, the message seems to be that we need to have Facebook partner with the Atlantic Council to censor news, that we need google to change its search algorithms to starve anti-establishment websites, and that we need the Canadian government so subsidize media conglomerates by taxing media start ups. The message here is that oligarch owned media is good precisely because it narrows the range of public opinion and that independent media is bad because it is a vector for foreign infiltration. To me that is in no way a positive development in terms of media literacy, even if many of the criticisms made about online discourse raise valid concerns that a civilized society would need to address. Being that we are not a civilized society I'm no rush to give our awful political class a further excuse to police dissent. Our own domestic leaders are a much greater threat to our liberty and even survival than "the Russians".

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DariusLikewise posted:

Full story is this

Cyara Bird, a failed Conservative Party candidate in Manitoba, posted on Twitter about her cousin being suspended for being forced to wear a rainbow poppy by her choir teacher and because she refused she was suspended from school. This was immediately retweeted and quoted 10k times on Twitter.

It turned out there was no rainbow poppies at the school and she was suspended from school for printing the below poster and putting it up around the school

Conservative outrage is now trying to make this a free speech there and Cyara Bird had to lock her Twitter because she got caught in a lie and asked for donations or something

Can sombody please explain to Conservatives what quotation marks are for.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I love how she is wearing the official chud uniform, a camo jacket.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
The only Canadian soldiers I remember are the ones who shot their officers in the back.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Professor Shark posted:

It’s Paleocon which is short for Paleoconservatism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleoconservatism

quote:

Paleoconservatism (sometimes shortened to paleocon) is a conservative political philosophy which stresses traditionalism, limited government, Christian ethics, regionalism and nationalism.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
God for a second I read it as parecon and thought Faith Goldy got into the anarchist influenced participatory economics movement.

Bone grass
Feb 3, 2012

I was looking some things up and I noticed this, had a good chuckle and thought I'd share with you guys.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Hexigrammus posted:

Huh. Hadn't seen that statistic before. One of my ancestors was in the Third Tunneling Battalion which I think was at Ypres (just one of the many question I have for the Regimental diaries).

He left a wife, three children, and the relative safety of an Albertan coal mine to volunteer for the CEF. About the time he volunteered the Germans pioneered the technique of tunneling under enemy positions, blowing them up, then rushing in to occupy the smoking crater. The Allies were scrambling to catch up and threw every miner they could find into the tunnels after that.

These men built supporting infrastructure like underground hospitals and mess halls but their main task was to tunnel 20 - 30 metres deep under enemy lines. While they were digging they were also listening for signs of enemy tunneling and, if detected, would pause to either blow up the enemy tunnelers or break through and engage the enemy in hand to hand combat.

Look for a book called Beneath Flanders Fields.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Fornax Disaster posted:

Look for a book called Beneath Flanders Fields.

Cool, my library even has a copy available.

I don't mind being sealed in tubes and dropped into the water but I can't imagine what that type of warfare was like.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Decided to look at soldier records from WW1 for my one ancestor, so many different papers repeating, "Hit by shrapnel on New Years day 1918, then we cut out his injured eye four days later and sent him back to Halifax with an artificial one."

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mr. Apollo posted:

It’s Paleocon which is short for Paleoconservatism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleoconservatism

Cool (bad) thanks!

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you didnt have enough reasons already to hate doug ford, this piece of poo poo bill was put into place yesterday. He just loves loving over labour.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/bill-124-is-unconstitutional-unfair-and-unnecessary-it-must-and-will-be-challenged-870829263.html

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Dig up, genius

quote:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/on-scheer-same-sex-marriage-stance-tory-mp-accuses-parties-of-anti-catholic-bigotry-1.4677006
A Conservative MP is accusing the Liberals and NDP of “anti-Catholic bigotry” in their questioning of his leader Andrew Scheer’s position on same-sex marriage.

In a panel interview on CTV’s Question Period airing on Sunday, Alberta MP Garnett Genuis was asked if he thinks that Scheer needs to recalibrate his position on social issues like same-sex marriage before the party’s leadership review in April.

His response was that “if anything,” the party needs to make sure that Scheer’s “very clear” position “is heard by everyone.”

“Unfortunately we see this kind of muddying of the waters and frankly anti-Catholic bigotry from the other parties but we’re going to push back against it,” Genuis said. “What we’re seeing with Andrew Scheer… is someone having questions posed to him based on, I think often a misunderstanding or presumptions about Catholics,” said Genuis about the questions posed to Scheer on whether or not he views homosexuality as a sin.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

Dig up, genius

Saw some hot takes this morning comparing it to asking Singh about his support/disavowal of Sikh extremism

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

infernal machines posted:

Saw some hot takes this morning comparing it to asking Singh about his support/disavowal of Sikh extremism

Are they concerned that a hypothetical PM Singh is invading India and liberating Kalistan.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Another reason, Trudeau is the best conservative, he's a Bad Catholic.

quote:

"For someone to start questioning my own faith and accusing me of being a bad Catholic, is something that I really take issue with. My own personal faith is an extremely important part of who I am and the values that I try to lead with."

Trudeau added that neither he nor his father saw any incongruity between enshrining the rights of gays and lesbians, for example, and the tenets of Catholicism. He notes that he is personally very opposed to abortion, but still believes nobody can tell a woman what she should do with her body.

"My own credo is completely consistent with that, and I'll defend my own faith and my own values to the utmost extent," Trudeau said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-upset-tory-mp-questioned-his-faith-1.1017541

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Another reason, Trudeau is the best conservative, he's a Bad Catholic.

What did Jesus say about groping college reporters?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Blessed are the meek (who don't raise a stink to the media)

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

vincentpricesboner posted:

What did Jesus say about groping college reporters?

Like gays, he was silent on the topic. Which I guess means, what isn't expressly forbidden is mandatory?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

If you didnt have enough reasons already to hate doug ford, this piece of poo poo bill was put into place yesterday. He just loves loving over labour.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/bill-124-is-unconstitutional-unfair-and-unnecessary-it-must-and-will-be-challenged-870829263.html

It's the next government that will have to pay out settlements when the unions defeat this in court, so not Doug's problem, amirite?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Fearless posted:

I recently read the war diary of my great grandfather's regiment (85th Bn, CEF) and they were stuck in France and England until almost the end of 1919 before they were shipped home-- this was a regiment that was heavily engaged from Vimy, through Passchendale and right up to the Armistice. I can't imagine how pissed someone who had managed to last through the horror show that was the Hundred Days would be to have to wait over a year to go home.

Then imagine after all that dying of the Spanish flu or getting shipped to loving Vladivostok to fight something called "Bolshevism." Who could have predicted serious unrest and labour strikes after the war!

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm not 100% sure of the point you are trying to make, but I think I agree with you for once. BC pills shouldn't be pushed on people and neither should IUDs, which come with their own set of issues. But the BC pill for a lot of women isn't just for preventing pregnant and has a lot of practical health-related applications and should probably be the first step in a universal pharmacare program.

Ultimately, I think the real problem is pharmaceutical companies have only started testing most of their products on women in the last 20 year or so. There is a dearth of knowledge about how women's bodies work in medical science that is only just now being addressed.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 9, 2019

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I don't think you can blame Doug Ford for this. The people who elected him want this. Blame them.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Another Bill posted:

I don't think you can blame Doug Ford for this. The people who elected him want this. Blame them.

Oh I know. The amount of crab bucket posters I see on FB whenever an article about a teacher strike comes out is unbelievable. How dare someone make 90k when i make 25k! (Totally clueless to the fact the teachers union are not the problem but the Burger King that is allowed to pay people like poo poo with no benefits)

Its just said the popular anti-labour sentiment in Canada has grown so large. Hard to blame them really when for most people, they feel poorer and poorer each year as cost of living rising at a much higher rate than salary growth, not to mention the popular media and lifestyle creep and thinking all your neighbours are able to afford BMWs when really they are getting hosed hard by leases and payday loans and etc etc. And then you have the right controlled media outlets that stoke the anti-union fire, telling them the reason the big private company wont pay you more is because of taxes and not profits.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Oh I know. The amount of crab bucket posters I see on FB whenever an article about a teacher strike comes out is unbelievable. How dare someone make 90k when i make 25k! (Totally clueless to the fact the teachers union are not the problem but the Burger King that is allowed to pay people like poo poo with no benefits)

Its just said the popular anti-labour sentiment in Canada has grown so large. Hard to blame them really when for most people, they feel poorer and poorer each year as cost of living rising at a much higher rate than salary growth, not to mention the popular media and lifestyle creep and thinking all your neighbours are able to afford BMWs when really they are getting hosed hard by leases and payday loans and etc etc. And then you have the right controlled media outlets that stoke the anti-union fire, telling them the reason the big private company wont pay you more is because of taxes and not profits.

The anti labour sentiment in Canada grew because the traditional business anti labour right found an ally in the brahmin leftists that started acting like blue collar workers were all troglodyte untermensch for not getting a degree and working in a cubicle like a civilized person ought to and how dare they make a decent living without even having post secondary education and having the sheer audacity to harbor negative sentiment towards driving down their wages and shipping their jobs overseas because that means we can get cheaper stuff.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

The anti labour sentiment in Canada grew because the traditional business anti labour right found an ally in the brahmin leftists that started acting like blue collar workers were all troglodyte untermensch for not getting a degree and working in a cubicle like a civilized person ought to and how dare they make a decent living without even having post secondary education and having the sheer audacity to harbor negative sentiment towards driving down their wages and shipping their jobs overseas because that means we can get cheaper stuff.

🙄

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Amazing how much power “the left” has supposedly wielded in this country since the 80s.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That dang The Left, always keeping the workers down.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the problem is that Canada doesn't really have a left

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Canada’s left is low-info neoliberal morons

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bleck posted:

the problem is that Canada doesn't really have a left

Sure it does, it's just not particularly far left, effective, or motivating unfortunately. Regardless of how you feel about them I think it's a stretch to say the federal NDP isn't an organized, left-wing organization of some sort.

I'm fully willing to accept and probably even personally believe that "the left" has not been a good ally to organized labor in this country. But what I do know is that conservatives and liberals alike have explicitly set about to vilify, weaken and dismantle organized labor and have done so from positions of power, money and influence both within and outside government. They have had a consistent platform from which to do so that "the left" can only dream of.

EvilJoven's post reads like a lazy misreading of a summary of Piketty's latest book along with their own personal gripes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To the Right, the Leftist Elite is pretty much anyone left of their ideology, regardless of of that left is actually left on the political spectrum.

Unrelated but I like this opinion piece telling the prairies to grow up and stop acting like persecuted manbabies.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/business/commentary/article-a-note-to-brad-wall-the-rest-of-canada-understands-tough-economic/