Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ShaneB posted:

Sigh I'm not gonna get my copy of GH from retail until like late December, am I. All the backers have to get it first.

I Kickstarted and depending how customs goes that’s when I might get mine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Too Many Bones: Undertow is in the last 48 hours of its kickstarter and I cannot decide if I should back it or not, thoughts?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

Too Many Bones: Undertow is in the last 48 hours of its kickstarter and I cannot decide if I should back it or not, thoughts?

my guess is depending on how much you liked the original?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Games like Terraforming Mars suffer really bad from having a big fat deck of cards. Even if you shuffle really well and draft, your strategy still ends up being way too dependent on what cards you end up getting.

Worse is how in a game with more than two people, it's extremely tedious to figure out what your opponents are doing. Do you want to keep getting up and looking over peoples' shoulders and reading their tableau? Probably not, so you usually end up eyeballing their stuff and having a vague idea of what they are doing, then mostly playing solitaire yourself.

The "mean" cards are just really boring point or resource vampire type cards. It's like the most boring version of "interaction."

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ropes4u posted:

I watched an actual play video of the original game and was immediately like "wow that's way too much die rolling."

Combine that with the cost and the terrible art and I was a hard no.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

ketchup vs catsup posted:

my guess is depending on how much you liked the original?

Never played it.

ShaneB posted:

I watched an actual play video of the original game and was immediately like "wow that's way too much die rolling."

Combine that with the cost and the terrible art and I was a hard no.

I was caught up in the hype from previous backer over the quality of the components but I am starting to think Root is more my speed.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

Played a game of Terraforming Mars the weekend before last with one of the special corporations and while a few people in my group are enamored with the game, I'm markedly cold. Am I missing something? Note: we played with drafting hands during each generation.

I really liked it the first few times I played it, but I've gotten luke warm on it. I'd much rather just play a few games of Race instead. The most interesting parts of TM - competing for city spaces, awards/milestones, and deciding which cards to buy/play - don't really kick in until the later third or quarter of the game, and it just takes too long to get there. The opening turns especially are pretty dull and overall the actions on the cards just aren't exciting, they almost always just boil down to 'get X resources or increase Y production'. If the game was half the length I probably wouldn't mind as much, they should really have made the corps way more diverse and greatly increased the starting productions to get to the meat of the game faster.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I just want to quickly talk about Hanamikoji because it's a fantastic, tight game with interesting decisions that plays in 10-15 minutes. Highly recommended.

Its theme is that you're running a restaurant/hotel in feudal Japan and want to attract the favor of geishas to bring in customers or whatnot.

There's 7 geishas worth different point values - three worth 2, two worth 3, one worth 4, and one worth 5. Along with each geisha there are corresponding item cards that are used to attract their favor - the ones worth two points each have two item cards, the ones worth three have three, and so on.

Accordingly, there's 21 item cards. The game begins by you shuffling them face down and taking one out of the pile - not revealed to either player - and placed into the box. So there's an immediate element of imperfect information. Each player is then dealt 6 item cards face down - hand information is always hidden. The remaining 8 item cards are put face-down as a deck nearby.

From there players just take turns drawing an item card from the deck, and then choosing one of four actions until both players have performed all four actions. They are:

1: Secret - Pick one card (again, unrevealed), and place it face-down underneath the Secret action card. It will be scored at the end of the round.

2: Trade-off - Choose two cards from your hand and place them face-down beneath the trade-off action card. They will not be scored.

3: Gift - Choose three cards and reveal them to your opponent. They pick one, scoring it immediately, and you score the remaining two immediately.

4: Competition: Choose four cards, reveal them, and split them into two sets of two. Your opponent chooses one set and scores it immediately, and you score the other.

If after scoring you have more item cards for a given geisha scored than your opponent, you gain their favor. The objective is to gain either 11 points (based on the geisha's values), or to gain the favor of 4 geisha. In the possible event of a tie the player with 11 points wins over the other.

That's it - if no one meets either end goal, you play another round, with the favor tokens for each given geisha staying where they are (though they can change to the other player if they then win their favor). You take the removed item card from the box, shuffle all the item cards back out, and perform the initial setup again (removing one unseen from the round again).

It's extremely streamlined and very light but every decision you make is interesting: when to pick which action, which cards to offer your opponent, which cards to take from your opponent in two of their four actions, etc. Also the art is pretty wonderful, too. It's $15 USD on Amazon right now which is a steal.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 8, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Finished my first mission in Imperial Assault yesterday (total time: about 5-6 hours with a couple of newbies over three weeks. People in different time zones with jobs and such don't get to synchronize too often.) We won on the very last die roll, with a few times it could have gone either way, but it really felt like we were on equal footing with the Imps so I'm pleased with that. Some general thoughts from someone who hasn't played a game of this type since Hero Quest in the 90s:
--As in any strategic game, this would be a lot less fun if we were operating at different skill levels. Some of us are newbies to the game but we're all used to thinking tactically and chatter was a good set of collaboration without any one person taking over. "You can get over here and open that door for me this turn, which gives me an extra chance to do stuff in there before he can get in my way, it's not critical though if you have your eye somewhere else" that sort of thing. Everyone (on both sides) got their chance to have good ideas and contribute.
--Discussing with the Imp player, he said the advancement rewards for victory/failure tend to be pretty close, but side missions being randomly dealt and an all or nothing thing can skew it into snowballing. Since we're playing one of the shorter campaigns that doesn't include those, it'll be interesting to see if that's still an issue.
--Movement/combat feels a lot more fluid than I expected. With the strain-nudge and the ease of recovering strain (both from the characters we happen to have and being able to recover it with a surge), double cost for moving through enemies isn't too much of a hindrance unless they put a real effort into it. It also means I couldn't get in the way of squishier teammates very easily, but that's a fair trade for avoiding fights that just lock down into everyone standing there rolling dice.

If I like this (and I do) are there other games that do it better? I know there's Descent and Doom and probably a bunch of others, I just don't know how they compare.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Finished my first mission in Imperial Assault yesterday (total time: about 5-6 hours with a couple of newbies over three weeks. People in different time zones with jobs and such don't get to synchronize too often.) We won on the very last die roll, with a few times it could have gone either way, but it really felt like we were on equal footing with the Imps so I'm pleased with that. Some general thoughts from someone who hasn't played a game of this type since Hero Quest in the 90s:
--As in any strategic game, this would be a lot less fun if we were operating at different skill levels. Some of us are newbies to the game but we're all used to thinking tactically and chatter was a good set of collaboration without any one person taking over. "You can get over here and open that door for me this turn, which gives me an extra chance to do stuff in there before he can get in my way, it's not critical though if you have your eye somewhere else" that sort of thing. Everyone (on both sides) got their chance to have good ideas and contribute.
--Discussing with the Imp player, he said the advancement rewards for victory/failure tend to be pretty close, but side missions being randomly dealt and an all or nothing thing can skew it into snowballing. Since we're playing one of the shorter campaigns that doesn't include those, it'll be interesting to see if that's still an issue.
--Movement/combat feels a lot more fluid than I expected. With the strain-nudge and the ease of recovering strain (both from the characters we happen to have and being able to recover it with a surge), double cost for moving through enemies isn't too much of a hindrance unless they put a real effort into it. It also means I couldn't get in the way of squishier teammates very easily, but that's a fair trade for avoiding fights that just lock down into everyone standing there rolling dice.

If I like this (and I do) are there other games that do it better? I know there's Descent and Doom and probably a bunch of others, I just don't know how they compare.

Depends on which version of Descent you play, but both are equally exciting in their own manner. DOOM (2016) plays as a somewhat modified version of Imperial Assault (and Descent 2.0) versions of line of sight/attack, but uses more cards as the attack system.

Overall, I feel Descent (both versions) are definitely the way to go if you want a larger campaign that isnt bogged down by extremely convoluted niche cases where you spent hours arguing/researching how it is resolved by others online.

ImpAss usually just ends up ignoring enemies (for the most part) and just booking it to the exit. Eventually once you realize how your character works (for the rebels), it is extremely easy to make your character so powerful that they end up destroying enemies for the rest of the team (at least in my experience).

Imperial Assault definitely is the most "fluid" of the genre if you're looking for an extended game, if your group are willing to be forgiving with all the silly niggling you have to do with edge cases (as mentioned above). Otherwise, I'd just suggest avoiding DOOM (2016) unless you get it at a discount, cause while the game is fun, the minis are honestly the most redeeming quality IMO. The card system for combat for the marines makes it awkward as sometimes you're just waiting for a single card to turn the tide.

Descent 1 and 2 both are less reliant on cards, but definitely is a lot more waiting for reactions in my opinion; both sides can effectively interrupt a turn to do certain things which can sway the tide one way or another. Unfortunately, because the games are much harder to get, it may be a bigger price of entry if you want to play everything.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

My copy of Antiquity finally arrived today after spending ten days stuck in customs because who the hell knows why. :toot:

And just hours before I have to go out of town for a week. :eng99:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bruceski posted:

I've made a lot of posts about Descent in this thread -- click my little question mark to the left and they should pop up.

From what I understand Imperial Assault has very very similar mechanics to Descent overall (to the point I've heard it called Descent 3rd Edition or even a "reskin"). I don't have first hand knowledge though of IA to compare. I really enjoy co op Descent play with the app more than the 4v1 Overlord mechanic.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Trying to find what a normal non-OOP cost of Kemet is since the reprint is coming out soon. What did you guys pay for your copy?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Kiranamos posted:

Trying to find what a normal non-OOP cost of Kemet is since the reprint is coming out soon. What did you guys pay for your copy?
I think it always hovered between $50 to $60 while in print.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
If I've played and really enjoyed The Gallerist but haven't gotten any other Vital games to the table yet (currently own Lisboa and have yet to learn it, in addition to Gallerist), is Vinhos Deluxe worth picking up? I'm thinking about treating myself to something this week and am considering that one.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 8, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kiranamos posted:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Asmodee-MATSKEM1-Kemet-Board-Game/product/B00B9X04F8?context=search

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Merauder posted:

If I've played and really enjoyed The Gallerist but haven't gotten any other Vital games to the table yet (currently own Lisboa and have yet to learn it, in addition to Gallerist), is Vinhos Deluxe worth picking up? I'm thinking about treating myself to something this week and am considering that one.

It's my least favourite of the three Lacerda games I own. Still good, but I don't table it often and I'm probably going to clear the shelf space (so if you're in the UK and want to make a decent offer for a signed copy, PM me).

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Got my recently acquired second hand copy of Catacombs to the table. Game is a bunch of fun, not sure it will be a super regular addition, but was good to play. Got totally creamed by the overlord in the last room.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Got my recently acquired second hand copy of Catacombs to the table. Game is a bunch of fun, not sure it will be a super regular addition, but was good to play. Got totally creamed by the overlord in the last room.

Yeah it's a weird game, in that it's not very *good* but it's enjoyable enough as long as it's infrequent...balance is probably off but how can you tell without playing a lot of games, there's only a few different boards but again only a problem if you play more than once every few years.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Merauder posted:

Isn't it out of print and therefore going for silly money? Maybe that's just a UK problem

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
How are the expansions for Chicago express? Worth twenty bucks? Is there a difference between the two printings?

Henker
May 5, 2009

Time of Legends: Joan of Arc showed off another add-on a couple days ago - the Apocalypse set which fleshes out the unholy and holy armies. Some people are not pleased, they find the minis blasphemous (there's a literal Jesus riding a horse), or too dark and evil "Kingdom Death Monster" looking. Of course, they're a vocal minority and the game's going to rack in a ton of cash.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Henker posted:

Time of Legends: Joan of Arc showed off another add-on a couple days ago - the Apocalypse set which fleshes out the unholy and holy armies. Some people are not pleased, they find the minis blasphemous (there's a literal Jesus riding a horse), or too dark and evil "Kingdom Death Monster" looking. Of course, they're a vocal minority and the game's going to rack in a ton of cash.

Yeah, gently caress those people. That new expansion looks WAY better than the others, just for all the detail they put in. Holy gently caress.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Doorknob Slobber posted:

thanks!

also for anyone itching for gloomhaven, I didn't get a shipping email, but I signed up for the ups my choice service and it just notified me mine is coming tomorrow.
I ordered the game + solo scenarios and UPS is telling me 11/14, time to print out all my labels etc...

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Mojo Jojo posted:

Isn't it out of print and therefore going for silly money? Maybe that's just a UK problem

It's on CoolStuff for what I'd consider "normal" price for that line, including the KS edition. I went ahead and ordered it. I read a mix of reviews and a lot of them spoke highly of the game relative to the rest of Vital's works, and the theme will play well with a group of friends here who played Viticulture every week for like 6 months as an actual sort of wine tasting club that also played a board game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I got Age of Steam’s secret blueprints expansion from Ted Alpasch because it was $2 from CSI. Never knew the castles MKL designer was a big AOS fan, but might explain his bidding games. It seems like the game module includes goods/income mats as well as maps. Is it then possible to use this with Steam components (plus any necessary other pieces) to play AOS games?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Henker posted:

That 'game' looks like a perfect parody of what a 2017 Kickstarter campaign is - page after page of dubious looking minis with a rulebook draft farted out 3 days before the end of the campaign (obviously to disguise the pretty ho-hum mechanisms of the game). Have people even noticed that at 16mm scale, most of the minis are going to look like poo poo no matter what?

Even Lords of Hellas, another blatant toybox for millennials, had some innovative gameplay ideas (although for the most part yet another dudes on a map game).

I look forward to seeing this go on clearance as quickly as Cry Havoc did.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

15mm is the Good scale

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
My copy of Gloomhaven should be here tomorrow :woop:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Has anyone who preordered retail Gloomhaven asked their retailer for any updates? I asked Boardlandia on 10/20 and heard "The only updates we currently know are also the Kickstarter ones. Based on those I would anticipate us getting the game no sooner than mid Nov. (But that is just my guess)."

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

Has anyone who preordered retail Gloomhaven asked their retailer for any updates? I asked Boardlandia on 10/20 and heard "The only updates we currently know are also the Kickstarter ones. Based on those I would anticipate us getting the game no sooner than mid Nov. (But that is just my guess)."

Cardhaus said "All we know is hopefully sometime in November."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rumda posted:

My copy of Gloomhaven should be here tomorrow :woop:

I still haven't gotten my shipping notification.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ShaneB posted:

I'm with you buddy. Honestly I was thinking they weren't going to get them out until around Christmas, so this month would be a pleasant surprise.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

KingKapalone posted:

Amazon is predicting stock in by Nov. 24th.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

LLSix posted:

Amazon is predicting stock in by Nov. 24th.

This is basically meaningless, sadly

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

ShaneB posted:

I ordered from Chaos Cards and they said much the same when I asked on 25th Oct: "Thank you for the email regarding Gloomhaven. You are right about the kickstarter copies going out to the backers but we have not got a full date yet for the retail copies. All we have been told I am afraid is that they are on their way from China and we are hoping they will be with us soon. I would like to thank you for your patience with this and hope that we do have some more information soon. We will update the website once we have some more details."

They did mention Gloomhaven as coming this month in their upcoming games section from an email on the 6th which is after the last ship arrived in Germany, so who knows?

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

Jacque Pott posted:

I ordered from Chaos Cards and they said much the same when I asked on 25th Oct: "Thank you for the email regarding Gloomhaven. You are right about the kickstarter copies going out to the backers but we have not got a full date yet for the retail copies. All we have been told I am afraid is that they are on their way from China and we are hoping they will be with us soon. I would like to thank you for your patience with this and hope that we do have some more information soon. We will update the website once we have some more details."

They did mention Gloomhaven as coming this month in their upcoming games section from an email on the 6th which is after the last ship arrived in Germany, so who knows?

On BGG someone from Impressions Game Distribution Service claimed that they're handling the wholesale orders said

Impressions posted:

KS copies are shipping now. Wholesale copies are on boats going all over the world to distributors. Chances are late November to early December to be in stores worldwide.

So it sounds like they're on separate boats from the Kickstarter copies and are someone around the world at this point in time.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
NM

Huxley fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 8, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

EBag posted:

I really liked it the first few times I played it, but I've gotten luke warm on it. I'd much rather just play a few games of Race instead. The most interesting parts of TM - competing for city spaces, awards/milestones, and deciding which cards to buy/play - don't really kick in until the later third or quarter of the game, and it just takes too long to get there. The opening turns especially are pretty dull and overall the actions on the cards just aren't exciting, they almost always just boil down to 'get X resources or increase Y production'. If the game was half the length I probably wouldn't mind as much, they should really have made the corps way more diverse and greatly increased the starting productions to get to the meat of the game faster.

One of the ways I heard to accelerate the game was have someone every generation move up temperature, O2 or place an ocean but get no benefits. IMO, everyone starting with additional +1 production in resources other than money might speed up things too, but :shrug: it's really just a show tableau builder that can just as easily be decided with "play all the good cards" as it can be "play all cards that do or benefit from a particular thing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought Cottage Garden on Steam as a relaxing time-killer, and it's quite a wonderful game.