Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

it's not true at all except against specific monsters due to elemental hitzones. for example AT velkana and AT namielle have some garbage specially designed to poo poo on elemental ammo (but not sticky ammo, the sometimes more powerful type, so who knows why the gently caress). in general it's both solid damage and really easy, but it's primarily an LBG thing.

besides numbers (the math nerds say it's good so that's fine enough for me, I don't optimize that hard) the big reason I suggest elemental ammo is how easy it is, and that's easy by the standards of LBG which can already make 50% of monster attacks whiff just by strafing while shooting. elemental ammo has a very long range like pierce, but also doesn't have pierce's minimum distance, so you can basically always keep shooting. so you have an easy weapon and also the ability to use it from any range. and not needing to tenderize or use evade reload is a godsend.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Elemental damage is good for LBG. Sure it'll be outdamaged by spread in most cases but it's super safe. Then again, sticky is super safe too.

Its pretty eh for HBG. I think the Kulve HBGs are decent for it but I dont see the point when pierce exists.

I'm not a huge min/maxer either, but I also don't want to be using including something in my kit that's sorta not worth the extra mental load, so I'll continue to steer clear of it for HBG. Seems legit enough for LBG tho!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkigqKeMNDE

good brute tigrex is such a fun lance fight. I ran him once in an SOS and thought "I could probably kill him quicker solo since he'd run around less"

not the cleanest run and you can definitely tell I still haven't adjusted to wounds lasting 3 mins instead of 90 sec but I still had fun! Easily proc offensive guard for days and just smack him around

God drat that lance play is fantastic well done. Really makes me want to give it a shot. As fun as dodging around and being an omae wa mou shindeiru, I do sometimes wish I could just stay mostly in place.

One question, you seem to be able to clutch claw immediately? I thought you had to wait for them to be drooling / staggered (not sure of the correct term).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

DrDraxium posted:

One question, you seem to be able to clutch claw immediately? I thought you had to wait for them to be drooling / staggered (not sure of the correct term).

You can clutch claw any time you please, it's just that you're likely to eat an attack and get knocked off if they aren't in that special stagger state (or otherwise incapacitated). However, if you throw on the rocksteady mantle, then attacks won't knock you off, though they do still deal damage - note that it cost them almost half their health to clutch on like that. You can also use the temporal mantle which doesn't have the damage drawback, though it won't protect you from being knocked off by roars.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Triarii posted:

You can clutch claw any time you please, it's just that you're likely to eat an attack and get knocked off if they aren't in that special stagger state (or otherwise incapacitated). However, if you throw on the rocksteady mantle, then attacks won't knock you off, though they do still deal damage - note that it cost them almost half their health to clutch on like that. You can also use the temporal mantle which doesn't have the damage drawback, though it won't protect you from being knocked off by roars.

Ah right! Thanks for clearing that up, I've only just arrived in the Elder Stream so these mantles are still locked for me (I think?).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

DrDraxium posted:

God drat that lance play is fantastic well done. Really makes me want to give it a shot. As fun as dodging around and being an omae wa mou shindeiru, I do sometimes wish I could just stay mostly in place.

It's safe to do when they are drooling (as they're guaranteed to stay put while you claw them), but you can attempt to claw a monster any time you want (unless it's doing some special animation, like burrowing). If it attacks with the part that you are grappling, then you'll be knocked off (unless you have the rocksteady mantle). Ditto if it roars, unless you have rocksteady or the appropriate level of earplugs.

It's a common strategy to slap on the rocksteady mantle at the beginning of the fight so that you can immediately mount and flinch shot the monster while it roars. This is especially nice if you're running Agitator, as a few claw attacks and a flinch shot (or a flinch shot, then tenderize it while it's down) will enrage the monster right away and proc Agitator.

Lance in addition has the counter claw, which allows you to parry an attack and immediately mount the part of the monster that attacked you. While you are not invulnerable during this, you'll have a temporary rocksteady effect, so the monster cannot shake you off. There are some attacks that make this risky because they can hit you with follow-up attacks (Tigrex's charge, Black Diablos' burrow, etc.) but it's generally a safe and easy way to refresh wounds if you aren't smashing the monster to the point that it's drooling every minute or so.

Most important, it looks loving cool, especially if you claw counter a leaping attack and go flying with the monster.

Here's another fun lance video, in which someone completely wrecks Ruiner Nergigante's poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvXCvFZP4Rg
Counter claw at 1:25. And the sequence around 3:45 is a great example of lance mobility, using directional guard dashes to move "through" attacks and into keep up attacks on the weak point. I love this video.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Shine posted:

Lance in addition has the counter claw, which allows you to parry an attack and immediately mount the part of the monster that attacked you. While you are not invulnerable during this, you'll have a temporary rocksteady effect, so the monster cannot shake you off. There are some attacks that make this risky because they can hit you with follow-up attacks (Tigrex's charge, Black Diablos' burrow, etc.) but it's generally a safe and easy way to refresh wounds if you aren't smashing the monster to the point that it's drooling every minute or so.

Most important, it looks loving cool, especially if you claw counter a leaping attack and go flying with the monster.

Here's another fun lance video, in which someone completely wrecks Ruiner Nergigante's poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvXCvFZP4Rg
Counter claw at 1:25. And the sequence around 3:45 is a great example of lance mobility, using directional guard dashes to move "through" attacks and into keep up attacks on the weak point. I love this video.

:eyepop: oh my! yeah definitely giving lance a whirl when I get home from work! thanks for the :words:

EDIT: I guess I'd always shied away from the lance because it seemed too simple moves wise, like you'd hit the skill ceiling with it fairly quickly, but this video completely turns that idea on it's head. Great stuff.

DrDraxium fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 23, 2020

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Yessss, just beat Alatreon! Not setting any speed records with my 23 minute run, but once I got the full Safi armor set, combined with the Alatreon LBG, everything fell into place.

Now...I guess I need to see how hard Fatalis is. Part of me is saying don't do it after all the trouble Alatreon gave me, haha. But, part of me wants to fully complete a Monster Hunter game for the first time: I usually stop a little before ultimate endgame to preserve my sanity, but maybe it's time to go full masochist.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

I'm almost in this boat, except I'm using the Deviljo charge blade and I am just getting my poo poo utterly wrecked. If I go in solo I've carted even before I can put on a mantle. I dunno if my stuff is just terribly underleveled (I'm using a mix of pieces for balanced elemental resists, nothing super-high but everything over 0) or what but it's painful. I'm close to 200 HR and like 80-something MR since I played the poo poo out of it and then took a long break before picking up Iceborne. My family is dying, please help. Tips/builds much appreciated

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm almost in this boat, except I'm using the Deviljo charge blade and I am just getting my poo poo utterly wrecked. If I go in solo I've carted even before I can put on a mantle. I dunno if my stuff is just terribly underleveled (I'm using a mix of pieces for balanced elemental resists, nothing super-high but everything over 0) or what but it's painful. I'm close to 200 HR and like 80-something MR since I played the poo poo out of it and then took a long break before picking up Iceborne. My family is dying, please help. Tips/builds much appreciated

You'll probably need to do some Guiding Lands grinding for some basic augments. Health augments help help out massively while getting your armor fully augmented and upgraded is massively helpful. In specific for Alatreon, the solo builds generally revolve around high raw and planning on carting with Fortify to kill it before it kills you. Trying to get an elemental topple solo is pretty drat difficult unless you happen to be running bow or DB and know the moveset to keep up the dps on its legs. Doing that and breaking a horn to keep it the same element? Good luck.

Generally the best advice is get some friends or goons to help cause Alatreon and Fatalis solo are def the hardest in the game. You must be a masochist or insanely good at the game to pull off solo IMO.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I was able to get elemental topples with my Frostfang Lance - though I had a Glider Mantle+ with two Frost+ Jewels in it during the phases where I needed to in order to do it. The problem was not dying to the regular moveset and doing enough damage before I inevitably took too many judgments after the horns were all broken.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

isn't this weapon incapable of stopping alatreon's wipe because you won't be doing the requisite fire/ice damage to topple it and make it survivable? I killed alatreon a total of 1 time since it was extremely unfun so I can't give expert tips, but at the very least you need a weapon of the right element to stop the wipe and your armor should be augmented/upgraded

in general I'm skeptical of the value of elemental resist if it's not getting you to 20, and suspect whatever skills you're giving up to get a few points of elemental resist is costing you a lot more than you're getting out of it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/1319193201261961216

good

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Gonna be honest. As much as I'd prefer to run with one palico and one puppy for gameplay reasons, I will probably be running with two puppies at all times unless doing multiplayer.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

isn't this weapon incapable of stopping alatreon's wipe because you won't be doing the requisite fire/ice damage to topple it and make it survivable? I killed alatreon a total of 1 time since it was extremely unfun so I can't give expert tips, but at the very least you need a weapon of the right element to stop the wipe and your armor should be augmented/upgraded

Any type of elemental damage can get the elemental knockdown.
  • Fire/Ice do the best elemental damage great against Ice Mode/Fire Mode, and are still pretty solid against Dragon Mode. However, if your element matches the mode it's in, you're completely shut out of elemental damage until shifts to Dragon Mode again, so they're the most beholden to getting the horn breaks.
  • Dragon damage barely does anything in Fire Mode/Ice Mode (2% on the best hitzone), but is the best element when it shifts to Dragon Mode. The elemental knockdown is going to occur way later in the fight, so that's more stressful, but you can completely ignore the need to break horns because dragon doesn't care about any mode except Dragon Mode. Unfortunately, the weapons that are best at making dragon damage viable against Alatreon are... Alatreon's weapons. Vaal Hazak is probably second place.
  • Thunder/Water are a weird compromise where they do okay damage against Ice Mode/Fire Mode, respectively, without getting totally shut out if you fail the horn break, but they never actually shine particularly well. Don't recommend.

As for tips:
  • For Charge Blades, I would recommend Vaal Hazak's over Jho's if you're gonna stick with dragon damage. If you want to switch to ice and accept that you'll need to get both the elemental knockdown and the horn break, go with Beotodus.
  • I personally find CB's new Savage Axe mode easier to use/more reliable than SAEDs for Alatreon, so if you haven't learned about that, now would be a good time.
  • The big trick to the fight is learning to dodge through attacks, towards Alatreon rather than away. Most of its attacks leave a safe zone that's a bit risky to get into, but give you some quality time for elemental damage while it's finishing the attack animation. Some attacks are just assholes, though (loving aerial fire/water beams).
  • If you're spending a lot of skills on shoring up elemental resistances, instead go for Blight Resistance 3.
  • I'd get 2 pieces of Velkhana armor for Critical Element. That way, you can increase your elemental damage both by using the elemental attack skill, and by investing in affinity.

JackGeneric fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 24, 2020

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

wtf, the Barioth is absolutely brutal

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

wtf, the Barioth is absolutely brutal

Yeah it owns.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

barioth is a noted roadblock for people new to master rank. the most important thing to try and do is break the front legs. ignore the head when starting out, smash those feet like there's no tomorrow. it will start skidding around and crashing when it does those leaps, which can be a bit erratic at times but will also open it up to getting beat on in the head or tail.

it's also kind of a gear check in a way. make sure you've upgraded your armor and weapons at least somewhat.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Tying both recent conversations together, I hope whoever decided that the stone piles in Alatreon's arena should be absurdly hard to see is placed in a purgatory when they die where they have to fight Barioth in low rank gear for the rest of time.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I think I was the last guy complaining about Barioth ITT and I managed to beat him by using all the buffs I could get, playing less aggressively and breaking his forelegs.

Then it was smooth sailing until Acidic Glavenus which is like Barioth 2.0. I had less problems with Velkhana than AG.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

JackGeneric posted:

As for tips:
  • For Charge Blades, I would recommend Vaal Hazak's over Jho's if you're gonna stick with dragon damage. If you want to switch to ice and accept that you'll need to get both the elemental knockdown and the horn break, go with Beotodus.
  • I personally find CB's new Savage Axe mode easier to use/more reliable than SAEDs for Alatreon, so if you haven't learned about that, now would be a good time.
  • The big trick to the fight is learning to dodge through attacks, towards Alatreon rather than away. Most of its attacks leave a safe zone that's a bit risky to get into, but give you some quality time for elemental damage while it's finishing the attack animation. Some attacks are just assholes, though (loving aerial fire/water beams).
  • If you're spending a lot of skills on shoring up elemental resistances, instead go for Blight Resistance 3.
  • I'd get 2 pieces of Velkhana armor for Critical Element. That way, you can increase your elemental damage both by using the elemental attack skill, and by investing in affinity.

These are great tips. I'd also recommend having two sets, one for fire and one for ice, which at least lets you stay in the fight if you cart and realize you're going to miss a horn break. Beotodus and Glavenus CBs would work well if you don't feel like farming Kulve for Kjarr ice/fire weapons.

For equipment, Safi armor is also really good. Either go for 2 piece Velkhana with 3 piece Safi or go full Safi. Just make sure your set has blight immunity and maxed elemental attack boost for your chosen element.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

God drat, y'all weren't kidding about lance vs. Brute Tigrex. I finally got around to doing the event, and he was a complete pushover. Just do the appropriate type of guard/counter for where you're positioned relative to his head, and you can go to town on his forelegs while he makes stupid noises. Good poo poo, lance owns.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Check out this amazing run. I love seeing ridiculous techniques like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7n1hvkeopo

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I played this on launch on PS4 but got into it again on PC, mostly because I wanted to play Iceborne and not have the slow PS4 load times. So, I rushed through the base game with the Defender stuff because I've done it all before and now I'm starting Iceborne, and, man...there's a lot of stuff to do. It probably doesn't help that I can't pick a weapon to main.

Did they add an alternate method for unlocking palico gadgets and tools, or do I need to go back to HR to get those?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You still have to go back and befriend the local cats, but you can do so from any expedition. It's easy enough to just go on a LR trip with MR gear so you can trounce any monsters that interrupt.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Good news is you don't have to worry about farming decorations since there are easy ways to get tons of them in MR, even rare ones.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
man i thought MR gear would make HR stuff easy and said hey i should get the layered ciri armor
first run: 30 minutes in, die for the 3rd time to the idiotic ancient leshen cage that can catch you as it spawns on you mid roll. figure spread is no good due to the dumb thing teleporting everywhere
second run: wow sticky makes this easy! this'll be a piece of cake. 45 minutes later get greedy and die again to the god drat cage since apparently i have to play ultra offensive and risky to even do it in under 50 minutes

of course discord let me know that it's geared for 4 players but i am shocked that MR gear doesnt beat it down a lot easier than it does. jesus christ im pissed at wasting over an hour on that poo poo, i really should just install a life bar so i can see if i'm wasting my time or not

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

of course discord let me know that it's geared for 4 players but i am shocked that MR gear doesnt beat it down a lot easier than it does. jesus christ im pissed at wasting over an hour on that poo poo, i really should just install a life bar so i can see if i'm wasting my time or not

It has 67.5k HP. Solo Fatalis has 66k.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

, i really should just install a life bar so i can see if i'm wasting my time or not

What is the point of not knowing how much health a monster has? I mean, I enjoy not knowing to a certain extent, but I do wonder why you can't tell. You can see if you're not doing a lot of damage with each hit, so I guess that's supposed to be an indication whether you're on the right track gear/combat wise?

Disclaimer: MHW is my first and only Monster Hunter game I've played.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

DrDraxium posted:

What is the point of not knowing how much health a monster has? I mean, I enjoy not knowing to a certain extent, but I do wonder why you can't tell. You can see if you're not doing a lot of damage with each hit, so I guess that's supposed to be an indication whether you're on the right track gear/combat wise?

MHW's lack of an expicit monster health/stam bar is a great game development decision because instead its replaced by a dynamic system where the monster is progressing through numerous unique damage states visually and behaviorally through animations.

Instead of simply sapping a red bar, the player does things like chopping Ajanararar tails or breaking Diablo horns which gives a more immersice and organic indication of the monster's remaining vitality.

Witcher Leshen's tiny size makes it hard not only to read its moves, but to also visually gauge its health while being far away as many of its attacks are ranged. Overall I think it's a poor fit for the MH juggernaut universe.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DrDraxium posted:

Because a health bar ultimately serves no purpose. It would just be more UI elements clogging up the screen and probably distracting players and getting them killed cause they're paying more attention to the bar than the monster. I guess you could argue for it to be a toggleable option but I fail to see how it would add anything meaningful to MH.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

DrDraxium posted:

The upgrade tree moves along as the game goes on, so you'll know you're on track if you are as far along an upgrade path as you can go, generally speaking. If you start dying rapidly or hunts seem to be taking longer than previously, then that's a good sign that it's time to hit the smithy.

I can't speak for the creators' thought process behind omitting monster health bars, but I like it. I use a life bar mod when SOS'ing so that I don't accidentally kill instead of capture (I once ruined someone's capture quest by mistake and felt bad), but I turn it off when playing my own missions. It's nice to just focus on fighting the monster, and know that I'm winning if the monster looks and acts more hosed up (or desperate) as the fight goes on. And the monster awkwardly limping away is a much more satisfying "near death" indicator to me than seeing a sliver of a health bar left. It's just one of those neat things about the series, like you're beating the monster down, versus beating down a health bar.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The one downside of course that now every monster has to have a very obvious limping animation, even it doesn't necessarily make sense for some of these to do that naturally :v:

I know it was a more subtle thing in the older games (or it didn't exist at all?) but it's something that's always threw me off a tad.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Those are all great answers, cheers to all who took the time.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I just played Dark Souls 3 for the first time in a couple years, and its control scheme is really at odds with my Monster Hunter muscle memory, goddamn. Go figure, I had the opposite problem when I started MHW after like 1000 hours of Dark Souls games. Just lemme beam my thoughts and intentions into the controller, please.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've finished the MHW Iceborne main story missions and got to the credits - is it worth following a gear guide or whatever or can I just pick gear on my own just fine? I haven't played post story monster hunter in a while.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Mr E posted:

I've finished the MHW Iceborne main story missions and got to the credits - is it worth following a gear guide or whatever or can I just pick gear on my own just fine? I haven't played post story monster hunter in a while.

They'll keep guiding you a while longer through some post-story stuff to introduce the Guiding Lands and a few more monsters, including the best fight in the game, Raging Brachy. Once you reach MR100 and the Guiding Lands levels are uncapped, then you'll definitely want a guide, as the Guiding Lands is a horrible slog even when done optimally, and you can accidentally make it even worse if you go about it the wrong way.

Or start using cheats to zip through the Guiding Lands grind, because gently caress slogs. We've got jobs and families and poo poo.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Alright I'll continue with the guiding lands quests for a bit and then look up a guide of some kind.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Can someone break down the variants of the new monsters? Raging brachy I can barely handle in a group, rajang and furious rajang seem like pretty similar fights, etc

I'm almost mr100, just powering through all my optional quests. I badly want to do get one more ticket for buff body gamma but know I should augment my gear for it, then augment more gear for alatreon and fatalis

Highly recommend gathering mods for guiding lands, it's much more pleasant.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Shine posted:

I just played Dark Souls 3 for the first time in a couple years, and its control scheme is really at odds with my Monster Hunter muscle memory, goddamn. Go figure, I had the opposite problem when I started MHW after like 1000 hours of Dark Souls games. Just lemme beam my thoughts and intentions into the controller, please.

Haha whenever I swap back and forth between the Souls games and World lately, what fucks me up the most is the run buttons being different. Second most is the different dodge buttons.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I can only speak for fighting Raging Brachy with lance, but for me, he was the monster that forced me to step up my mobile aggression game (dashing/leaping/charging to him instead of just hanging out and countering him) because he's one of the few monsters where playing a guard weapon too statically will get you demolished, as he'll leap away and do attacks that take a ton of health to block, even with Guard 5. Compare that to Barioth or standard Brachy, who are easier if you are mobile, but you can defensively brute force the fights with patience, letting them come to you.

I beat Raging Brachy once I made a point to stay as close to him as possible, following him without delay when he leaps or turns away, and using guard dash to block "through" his attacks and try to land between his legs or alongside his body, where I could attack his arms but still be able to hop away from (or counter, if needed) the explodey bits. I also used more lateral movement than I normally do (guard dashing or charging to the sides), as his big, chip-damaging attacks are fairly slow and go in a predictable straight line.

In the final phase, you can and should be aggressive as hell. He's throwing his main defense (constant little explosions) to the wind in order to power up his big desperation move (one huge explosion), so as long as you avoid the actual blows from his limbs, then you can otherwise go ham on him until it's time to survive the big move.

There are also gadget strategies to gently caress with him during final phase and slow down his progress toward his big boom, which you can look up if you wanna. And remember that just because he's clearly in a crazed panic at the end, you can still wallbang him if he's not actually enraged.

Raging Brachy made me a much better player, which is why I love the fight so much. The entire game got easier from the lessons I learned beating him. He's such a well-designed monster. S-tier fight for lance.

Shine fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

I completed Iceborne mostly solo as a challenge, crafting improved gear along the way. But once got to Grinding Lands there wasn't really any more powerful armor to unlock from the critters there, just layered. So I said gently caress it and had fun in other people's games up to and past MR100 while not really caring about my own GL levels. Still has able to get drops from tempered elders in time with no problems.