Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The actual tough part about the route is after freezing everyone you need to backtrack 3 screens to grab a ring from a dumpster you might not have checked, and if you don't have that ring the game just proceeds as normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah the bad time route here is a lot more visceral and personal. Like you have to understand Noelle's character enough to properly push her into becoming a killer, which is just more involved and discomforting than just detaching yourself from everything to kill everyone in Undertale. Not that it's lacking in moments given how various bosses react to your rampage in that game. But doing stuff like forcing Noelle to be your date and have her be the one to kill everything is just really slimy.

And also it's clear that this isn't what Kris and Ralsei want at all, but both of them are powerless to stop you from corrupting Noelle.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Just finished the Genocide route, and I am now acutely aware of why Spamton NEO was made to be easier than Jevil. Turns out that that fight gets a lot harder with only one party member!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The actual tough part about the route is after freezing everyone you need to backtrack 3 screens to grab a ring from a dumpster you might not have checked, and if you don't have that ring the game just proceeds as normal.

That's true. At least if you check it first, you get the hint. But why would you even think to go to the haha funny Toby Fox car crash easter egg on a genocide route to even find out? The Thorn Ring is probably the second most arcane part of the process, after the ferris wheel.

The shopkeeper feels a bit more intuitive? It gives you a prompt you normally wouldn't get, and if you're already obsessing enough to trigger the route naturally, you'll probably answer in kind with the shopkeeper.

Also is it just me, or are you basically doing a much more sinister, effective version of what Berdly's plan was?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

The Bee posted:

That part seems easy enough to figure out. The ferris wheel, on the other hand, feels like a really easy trigger to miss. If you're cool with having Noelle being a mass murderer but not cool with pressuring her into riding a ferris wheel with you, or prefer playing matchmaker for her and Susie instead, it sounds like you just don't get the route.

I tested out the route myself and the ferris wheel part isn't actually needed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

Just finished the Genocide route, and I am now acutely aware of why Spamton NEO was made to be easier than Jevil. Turns out that that fight gets a lot harder with only one party member!

comparing the two, his genocide fight is also juiced up compared to the original - faster attack projectiles at the very least. he doesn't use his ultimate attack, but that's small consolation without susie and ralsei to help soak up the damage

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008
Alternate route: The part when Noelle (seemingly calmly) says "is that another enemy for me to freeze" to Berdly is great and I wish I kept the save I made just before it because that entire scene is what makes the route neat to me.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I tested out the route myself and the ferris wheel part isn't actually needed

Oh, thank goodness. So its more a sign you're doing it right than a necessary step.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Oxxidation posted:

comparing the two, his genocide fight is also juiced up compared to the original - faster attack projectiles at the very least. he doesn't use his ultimate attack, but that's small consolation without susie and ralsei to help soak up the damage
he does use it eventually, but it's entirely possible to end the main phase of the fight before then—X-Slash's damage is ridiculous. unfortunately, some of his regular attacks are way more dangerous

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kinda tempted to get a Spamton avatar, but I really like my current Sam Neill one.

Also holy poo poo at the alternate route. :aaa:

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

man this whole alternate route thing really puts a spin on all the ICE-E poo poo you see everywhere

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Thinking about it, the biggest ramifications from this route aside from how Noelle was affected, is probably the fact that Ralsei had no opportunity to collude with Kris or discuss things with them this chapter because we refused to be astral projected. Wonder if that'll end up derailing things a bit.

Oxxidation posted:

Huh. I guess that would explain why else the fight was tougher. I was wondering why I had so much trouble dealing with his heart attack even though all forms of it are pretty free in the normal route.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
probably not worth theorizing over yet, but I noticed something familiar

the eye symbol that appears on the titans is the same as the eye symbol that's all over the walls at the very start of the dark world in Chapter 1:

feels intentional that this area you go through is just like the "endless eternal night" described by Ralsei, too, but I think it's too soon to draw any sort of conclusions.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

kaleedity posted:

man this whole alternate route thing really puts a spin on all the ICE-E poo poo you see everywhere

Okay, this one I'm curious about.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Also, I just realized, the Noelle Genocide route basically confirms that 1997 is an important year. On top of showing up in the dialog of the various viruses as well as Spamton, it's also the price of the Thorn Ring, the item that essentially seals Noelle's fate for the route.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

EclecticTastes posted:

Also, I just realized, the Noelle Genocide route basically confirms that 1997 is an important year. On top of showing up in the dialog of the various viruses as well as Spamton, it's also the price of the Thorn Ring, the item that essentially seals Noelle's fate for the route.

I GAVE YOU MY&[Commemorative Ring]&FOR THE PRICE OF&[My Favorite Year]!/%

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Oxxidation posted:

yeah, that part's the killer, because it's before any of the more obvious triggers and breaks the route if you deviate from it at all. this genocide route isn't just about making the numbers go up, it's about deliberately fostering noelle's psychological dependency on kris. in order to get this on your own, you'd have to go into this quirky rpg deliberately angling to not just kill every enemy you see, but to make the emotionally troubled white mage do the deed every time, while also pressuring her to leave all her agency up to you/the protagonist. this is not a train of thought most people naturally arrive at!

it's perfectly utilitarian in a normal game with normal mechanics, but that's what makes it loving horrifying when those mechanics are fully developed characters with personalities and agendas and humanity conveyed on screen

- Killing enemies makes you stronger
- My healer is weak
- I need to have them last-hit enemies so they "catch up"
- I've had this thought myself in a lot of tactical-style RPGs
- I've never had to convince a healer to do this against their will though and frankly I don't think I can
- This also extends to exploiting Noelle's ability to freeze enemies before they flee--it's every Metal Slime hunting build ever (except the party member in question is (to reiterate) not down with this)
- Also the Metal Slimes have families and poo poo
- Even giving party members gifts or doing little events with them to increase their Social ranking or whatever is pretty normalized RPG biz at this point
- Even FFVII had it to where you could manipulate dialogue choices to get a particular date on... (drumroll) a ferris wheel
edit: sorry, a gondola, but you smell what I'm stepping in

In short, I think it's the same concept as genocide mode in Undertale--it requires you to stop looking at the characters as characters and start looking at them as My Party Members In This RPG. Screw who they are, it is time for MAXIMUM POINTS. Deltarune is just hitting much, much more closer to home with what "completion" entails and what kind of things you need to do to maintain an attitude like that in a world that's more alive. If I'm not mistaken, one of Kris's titles is even something to the tune of Tactical Leader. It's the Gamer route, but from the perspective of someone playing a very different game than everyone else involved

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 19, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

in his final fight text he mentions selling to you as the price of his favorite year, so it's just him

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Oxxidation posted:

more revelations from the Bad Time route

spamton's rambling plus bratty's comments in hometown strongly suggest that kris was literally living in the trash before the dreemurrs adopted them. also, [[Hyperlink Blocked]] almost definitely translates to LOVE

I was beginning to wonder why the pacifist spamton neo fight has him talking directly to Kris so much and the repetition of "NOW YOU GET TO BE A BIG SHOT" makes it extra weird and kind of sad if that theory's true. It would also explain why Kris is more enthusiastic about eating moss in chapter 2

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
toby fox rules. I really loved chapter 2 but it felt like the game as a whole was missing a bit of seasoning compared to undertale and playing it the Other Way is exactly the spice I was looking for. can't wait for the rest of the game

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
comparing chapter 2 of a 7 (possibly more???) chapter game in deltarune to a completed game in undertale feels like an unfair comparison

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Oops.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

zetamind2000 posted:

I was beginning to wonder why the pacifist spamton neo fight has him talking directly to Kris so much and the repetition of "NOW YOU GET TO BE A BIG SHOT" makes it extra weird and kind of sad if that theory's true. It would also explain why Kris is more enthusiastic about eating moss in chapter 2

Part of it is that Kris is the only one present for most of those conversations; the rest of the party stays behind, and only shows up in front of Spamton as part of the rescue right before the battle

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Jen X posted:

comparing chapter 2 of a 7 (possibly more???) chapter game in deltarune to a completed game in undertale feels like an unfair comparison

poo poo's practically as long as Undertale. Pretty sure it took me 8 hours to get through it all, and that's before learning about the Genocide route!

As for how many of those hours were Hometown and Mytown dialogue checking, I plead the fifth.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Have I forgotten something from chapter 1 that would explain why Ralsei can visit other dark worlds and other Darkners can visit Ralsei's castle without getting petrified or is that supposed to be an open mystery for the moment?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Pakled posted:

Have I forgotten something from chapter 1 that would explain why Ralsei can visit other dark worlds and other Darkners can visit Ralsei's castle without getting petrified or is that supposed to be an open mystery for the moment?

He explains the latter part, if you believe him. his fountain is apparently The Most Powerful One and any darkener can hang out under it's influence just fine.

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009

Jen X posted:

is it? I know it's not near complete but even the 2013 undertale demo changed a lot depending on how you played. it doesn't have to retread the same themes or anything, but not being able to meaningfully affect anything through your choices in chapter 1 and chapter 2 except through an incredibly specific set of steps just made it feel like something was missing even though the rest of the game is insanely good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

no, this is all new and very suspicious

Ralsei also somehow has full knowledge of the real world which he drops in a conversation all casually

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Your Computer posted:

on an unrelated note have any of the non-clickbaiters gotten a chance to play through this yet? I loved watching people play Undertale and Deltarune ch. 1 but due to how much these games have blown up it's a crapshoot trying to find someone actually playing the games because they enjoy them

Well, I think next week Laurentheflute will be doing a stream of this. She's pretty great.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Samovar posted:

Well, I think next week Laurentheflute will be doing a stream of this. She's pretty great.

Yeah? Awesome, she was the only streamer I followed live, it was really fun too watch her play.

Oh, and still talking about the alternate route.

I wonder if this will be the format going forward, that each chapter has a different person falling into the dark world, and you either helping them overcome their issues and becoming stronger people, or breaking them and turning them into stronger weapons that follow your command.

Seriously, one of the creepier things in the other route was seeing Kris' class description change from something along the line of "Commands others on how to ACT in battles" to simply "Commands"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I can't wait for the whole thing, goddamn.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I'm gonna go crazy thinking about that PureCrystal

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I wonder if it's somehow made from getting those glowing shards? You can find one in the first chapter and one in chapter 2.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Played through all of the pacifist route, and was very satisfied, although I left it thinking "wow that was pretty saccharine compared to what I expected." Then I watched a playthrough of the Alt route. Jesus Christ, that is infinitely more difficult to sit through than Undertale's geno route. loving brilliant, but genuinely made me uneasy. 10/10

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Grapplejack posted:

in his final fight text he mentions selling to you as the price of his favorite year, so it's just him

Just because it's his favorite year doesn't mean it's not significant (for example, why is it his favorite year?). Also, both Poppup and Virovirokun have text that reference 1997, as well. Also, as I said before, if we assume Deltarune takes place at the same time as Undertale, in its own universe, that would mean Asriel would have been born in 1997, as a college freshman would most likely be eighteen, and while Undertale keeps it vague at "201X", it wouldn't be unreasonable to simplify that to 2015, as that's the year the game came out. It lines up too well to be a mere coincidence.

Also, possible foreshadowing for Chapter 3: When discussing "friends" with Spamton, one of the people he says we don't need is "Mike", which prompts a "serious" moment, after which he tells Kris not to trust Mike, saying "Don't believe [[anything you see on TV]]". TV, as in where chapter 3 will be taking place. Something tells me that this "Mike" is going to be the next secret boss (also microphone-themed).

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

NewMars posted:

I wonder if it's somehow made from getting those glowing shards? You can find one in the first chapter and one in chapter 2.

it's not on the fusion list, but I'd be lying if I said Glowshard and DogDollar both don't tickle something in my brain

there's a tinge of paranoia I have to fight off every time a game tells me to sell something

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Also, I'm assuming "Dess" is Noelle's older sister, December? Was there any more implication as to what happened with those two that I missed, or is it just left super ambiguous for now?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Lunatic Sledge posted:

What is it? The text description says PureCrystal - The shadow purified by the cat but I don't recall seeing it anywhere.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

EclecticTastes posted:

Just because it's his favorite year doesn't mean it's not significant (for example, why is it his favorite year?). Also, both Poppup and Virovirokun have text that reference 1997, as well. Also, as I said before, if we assume Deltarune takes place at the same time as Undertale, in its own universe, that would mean Asriel would have been born in 1997, as a college freshman would most likely be eighteen, and while Undertale keeps it vague at "201X", it wouldn't be unreasonable to simplify that to 2015, as that's the year the game came out. It lines up too well to be a mere coincidence.

Also, possible foreshadowing for Chapter 3: When discussing "friends" with Spamton, one of the people he says we don't need is "Mike", which prompts a "serious" moment, after which he tells Kris not to trust Mike, saying "Don't believe [[anything you see on TV]]". TV, as in where chapter 3 will be taking place. Something tells me that this "Mike" is going to be the next secret boss (also microphone-themed).

I think the allusions to 1997 are honestly just a bit of flavorful humor for Spamton being a dot com era salesperson in the 90s. As for Mike, I have no loving clue, but that's certainly a more concrete tick in the "plot-relevant" box than the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm just spoiling this because you spoiled yours but Mike is also the name of the kid who gets sucked into the TV in Willy Wonka's factory

I'm sure it's a coincidence, unless it isn't

I had to edit this like five times because I have never read a book before

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 19, 2021