Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

LogisticEarth posted:

EDIT: For reference, here's something similar to what she was looking for on Blue Nile:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-wedding-ring-white-gold_20394

Even if you tack on the $800 in custom/production labor, and another $400 or whatever because BE uses fair trade diamonds and metals, that still comes up $600 cheaper than their quote.

EDIT 2: It's important that it's palladium or some other hypoallergenic metal, so unfortunately buying an off-the-shelf ring in white gold isn't an option.

Hmm, that is kind of weird. I know that Palladium has a bit of a premium labor wise over gold because of its working temperatures and conditions, but that does seem excessive. How 'custom' is your design? Is it something they're CnC'ing from scratch? I'm looking at an off the shelf 3 stone prong set ring I have and it's 2.5 grams of Palladium with 0.5 carats of diamond (1 3.5mm, 2 3.0mm) and at a 'normal' price I'd put it at about $1200. For $2600 you could be getting platinum at that diamond weight easy.

I'm not going to flog my web site (it sells jewelry) but PM me if you're interested and I can show you some pictures/listings that you can use as comparisons if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Scaramouche posted:

Hmm, that is kind of weird. I know that Palladium has a bit of a premium labor wise over gold because of its working temperatures and conditions, but that does seem excessive. How 'custom' is your design? Is it something they're CnC'ing from scratch? I'm looking at an off the shelf 3 stone prong set ring I have and it's 2.5 grams of Palladium with 0.5 carats of diamond (1 3.5mm, 2 3.0mm) and at a 'normal' price I'd put it at about $1200. For $2600 you could be getting platinum at that diamond weight easy.

Thanks for the info, it's not exactly a super-duper custom ring. It's a more or less simple wedding band, with 3-5 smaller baguette diamonds, that would be slightly contoured to fit with her engagement ring, which was one of their standard settings, specifically this one (center stone is princess cut):

http://www.brilliantearth.com/Tapered-Baguette-Diamond-Ring-(1/5-ct.tw.)-White-Gold-BE503TB230-525/?show_setting_tab=true

Apparently she's not sure an off-the-rack one that's not tapered to the ring would work, but I haven't seen her try on any wedding bands yet, as I've been out of town for work for over a month.

I'll PM you for the examples/alternatives you were talking about.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
alright, I just can't help but be smug as heck about how all this turned out.

out the door? $8725 :smug: :smug: :psyduck:

and the best part is I get to give it to a completely awesome girl! :)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

Wow, that's nice. I love that the center stone is darker.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
That's a really impressive loving ring

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

I'm looking into a diamond being sold by an individual:

1.168ct
I color
SI1 clarity.

They say it is definitely eyeclean but will look at it to find out. Does it check out as decent given the info below? Think they're asking 5.2k at the moment but thought that might be a little high.

AGS Cert: http://i.imgur.com/wK58i.jpg

Idealscope: http://i.imgur.com/ehkB2.jpg
ASET: http://i.imgur.com/nH0jb.jpg
Arrows: http://i.imgur.com/BoF4m.jpg
Hearts: http://i.imgur.com/PdKOA.jpg

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm no expert, but based on my recent ordeal, I'd say the diamond looks fine, but yeah that price looks high. Before I happened on my random Really Good Deal, my target was basically your specs in GIA (at least 1.25, at least I, at least VS2-SI1), and I was hoping to pay about $4000-4500.

LikeABell
Apr 29, 2005

more like taiwan
Can I ask an etiquette question as a wedding guest? My co-worker is getting married in December. The wedding is on a Friday. Her and I are close and so I'm going to take off work that day and go to the ceremony, which is at 2, and then obviously I will attend the reception at 7. My boyfriend was invited to the wedding, but he has work that day. He doesn't know her well (has only met her 3-4 times), so I would feel badly if he took the whole day off work to attend her ceremony. I'm inclined to think it's rude for him to attend only the reception, but I'm not sure. Either way, he said he'd take the day off. I've been to very few weddings in my life and I'm still trying to figure out what the right thing to do is. Now, her wedding is very large (I think 200+ people), and so I would also think that being that the ceremony is on a weekday afternoon, she would assume some people couldn't take off work for the ceremony. I'm not sure! What do you guys think?

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Rockker posted:

I'm looking into a diamond being sold by an individual:

1.168ct
I color
SI1 clarity.

They say it is definitely eyeclean but will look at it to find out. Does it check out as decent given the info below? Think they're asking 5.2k at the moment but thought that might be a little high.

AGS Cert: http://i.imgur.com/wK58i.jpg

Idealscope: http://i.imgur.com/ehkB2.jpg
ASET: http://i.imgur.com/nH0jb.jpg
Arrows: http://i.imgur.com/BoF4m.jpg
Hearts: http://i.imgur.com/PdKOA.jpg

That's an AGS triple ideal and they usually trade for a premium. The price is good. But fair warning - This ASET/Idealscope images often do not show the inclusions - So make sure the inclusions aren't of a terrible type.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

LikeABell posted:

Can I ask an etiquette question as a wedding guest?

Have him take the day off work and spend it with people who obviously mean something to you so he can get to know them.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

It's finally here! Gettin murr'd today!

Last minute droppers are the worst.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

:smith::hf::smith: One of my good friends texted a cancellation 5 hours before the wedding with strep throat. It sucks but don't let it get you down, enjoy your day!

LikeABell
Apr 29, 2005

more like taiwan

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Have him take the day off work and spend it with people who obviously mean something to you so he can get to know them.

This is what I figured. He said he wouldn't mind taking the day off anyway but I wanted to throw my question out there. Thanks :)

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.

Mordiceius posted:

Any chance you could post a close up of the ring. The ring that i'm going to be getting for my girlfriend will also have emeralds on it so I would love to see how it looks on your ring.

Here's a close up! I'm not allowed to put the wedding band with it yet or else I'd show the full thing.

Just imagine the emeralds reflected to the other side to form a circle.

As for the Claddagh ring, I'm not too sure. He originally got me one when we first started dating to make it known I was in a relationship. His mother's side immigrated from Ireland but I wouldn't call my fiance tied to his Irish roots or anything. We just liked what it symbolizes :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

good luck fellow goon~~

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Just dropped a bundle on cake, cupcakes, cookies, coffee, and hot chocolate. This coming week we'll be dropping a bundle on fancy tacos (yay atlanta)

I still don't know what to do for wedding favors, though I'm thinking gently caress it at this point because it'll be over a hundred dollars for an experience that lasts approximately 5 seconds.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

signalnoise posted:

Just dropped a bundle on cake, cupcakes, cookies, coffee, and hot chocolate. This coming week we'll be dropping a bundle on fancy tacos (yay atlanta)

I still don't know what to do for wedding favors, though I'm thinking gently caress it at this point because it'll be over a hundred dollars for an experience that lasts approximately 5 seconds.

My brother had little paper boxes in their colors (I think they made them) with chocolate and "flowering tea." The chocolate was this fair trade organic stuff they like. Both of those things- hippie yuppie chocolate & tea- are things they like a lot and are also small, consumable, and potentially purchasable in large quantities. You could maybe get some of your & your fiancee's favorite candies or teas or spices or something and make little gift bags? Even if it's just skittles and snickers, you can enclose a note that says something like "We are so happy to spend this special day with you, our favorite people, and so here are some favorite treats of ours."

melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

put on your adventure helmet, it's time for an adventure!
I can't tell anyone I know yet, but my boyfriend and I decided that we will get married. We both agree we have things to work on personally and in our relationship, but now I feel like I have a goal. My goal is to be the best person I can so this man stays in my life. He deserves the best.

He's quite a bit more traditional than I am (he's previously expressed frustration at the idea of me not changing my name, and especially of his future kids having anything other than only his last name), so he definitely wants to do a real proposal before we tell anyone. I'm fine with that.

melaneyelia fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 15, 2012

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

mindphlux posted:

That is really just an unreal deal. Well done!

This question is to everyone, I'm currently in school for jewellery/goldsmithing and have a project where we have to make a set of wedding bands. Part of this project is interviewing people about their experiences looking for wedding bands and since i'm 23 and don't know anyone who's married I decided to come here!

I need three people or couples(hopefully)to answer a few questions, but more isn't a bad thing! Feel free to PM me your answers if you don't want to respond here for whatever reason.

1) What were the main points going through your mind when shopping for wedding rings (bands)?

2)What was the most important thing to you about your wedding bands(look, price, originality)?

3)Did you end up settling for something? Or did you search endlessly to find exaaactly the wedding bands you wanted. Or possibly go to a custom jeweller?

Anyone who can help, it would be much appreciated!

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Claes Oldenburger posted:

That is really just an unreal deal. Well done!

This question is to everyone, I'm currently in school for jewellery/goldsmithing and have a project where we have to make a set of wedding bands. Part of this project is interviewing people about their experiences looking for wedding bands and since i'm 23 and don't know anyone who's married I decided to come here!

I need three people or couples(hopefully)to answer a few questions, but more isn't a bad thing! Feel free to PM me your answers if you don't want to respond here for whatever reason.

1) What were the main points going through your mind when shopping for wedding rings (bands)?

2)What was the most important thing to you about your wedding bands(look, price, originality)?

3)Did you end up settling for something? Or did you search endlessly to find exaaactly the wedding bands you wanted. Or possibly go to a custom jeweller?

My husband and I will help you out. (:

1. My husband was concerned with material. He looked a lot into alternative metals. I wanted something that sat flush against my engagement ring.

2. Price and look I guess. Same reasons as above.

3. We ended up going to a custom jeweler. He wanted hammered cobalt without a border which we got for him. Mine was custom made as a wrap for my engagement ring. It ended up being out of our budget but worth it for the end result.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

john mayer posted:

My husband and I will help you out. (:

1. My husband was concerned with material. He looked a lot into alternative metals. I wanted something that sat flush against my engagement ring.

2. Price and look I guess. Same reasons as above.

3. We ended up going to a custom jeweler. He wanted hammered cobalt without a border which we got for him. Mine was custom made as a wrap for my engagement ring. It ended up being out of our budget but worth it for the end result.

Thanks so much! :D Ooooo never heard of cobalt before, sounds cool!

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

My husband and I can help!

My ring is a moissanite. Our bands, are cut out of the same piece of metal, and the insides are anodized (colored).

1) He didn't care what he had really, I wanted Moissanite, because it was reasonably priced. We obviously have matching bands.

2) The price, we're 23, buying a house, and newly graduated.

3) I didn't settle, I went in knowing the setting type I wanted. Went through a few different types of rings. Looked at diamonds and other stones. Moissanite just fit.

Hope that helped. Husband is really laid back. He just wanted a thin band.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Thanks so much! :D Ooooo never heard of cobalt before, sounds cool!

Cobalt is nice because it's solid, not plated; if you do manage to scratch it somehow it won't show a backer material underneath. Nice if you're in that zone of "I do stuff with my hands but not in situations where having a ring on will get my finger ripped off".

The only major issues is that is has to be laser engraved (so if you want an engraving, you have to order it ahead of time; my jeweller found out the hard way wrecking a gold/silver engraving tool on my cobalt ring) and it can't be re-sized. Doesn't sound like a big deal but my wedding band ended up a full size too big somehow (probably due to an early summer initial sizing and an early fall wedding causing hand shrinkage via cooler weather and general :derp:getting married gotta lose weight:derp:) & it broke my heart to have to hand over the ring my wife put on me in front of everybody in order to get one I wouldn't send flying every time I washed my hands.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
The saga continues..

So we placed an order for sealing wax online and it shipped last week! We thought it'd be cool to wax seal our envelopes with a fleur-de-lis and have fleur-de-lis lollipops as favours since we are going to Quebec for our honeymoon!

I was talking about how excited I was to start writing the invitations when my dad brings up what he now simply refers to his "Dilemma". If you remember any of my previous posts about the matter, his family,save for his father, are absolutely not invited. Just for the record, he's my step-dad but I do consider him a father, his family has never treated my mom, my sister and myself as family though.

He is now worried his 76 year old Italian father will never speak to him again when he finds out my dad's hagraven sisters and their demonspawn are not invited. I can totally understand how he feels but like I've said, they are awful and not invited, I told him already that they have not treated me nicely and not like family, that it would be an insult to the people we aren't inviting if we invite them.

Should I maybe hand-deliver the invitation to my nonno and tell him the aren't invited myself and not to get angry at my dad? Or when the time comes do I just send it and wait for the hammer to fall? This is still a few months away but it's quite a headache.

Jesus, I was on the verge of just making an E/N thread about it so I can stop hounding you all about it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I've actually been seeing more and more cobalt moving lately. It was always around as a 'man's ring' (e.g. laser etched with barb wire or celtic knots) like tungsten, but lately there's been some nice gem set and higher end wedding styles coming out. Also been seeing it mixed with Platinum for women's settings.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

gogogiraffes posted:

My husband and I can help!

My ring is a moissanite. Our bands, are cut out of the same piece of metal, and the insides are anodized (colored).

1) He didn't care what he had really, I wanted Moissanite, because it was reasonably priced. We obviously have matching bands.

2) The price, we're 23, buying a house, and newly graduated.

3) I didn't settle, I went in knowing the setting type I wanted. Went through a few different types of rings. Looked at diamonds and other stones. Moissanite just fit.

Hope that helped. Husband is really laid back. He just wanted a thin band.

Thanks! These answers are great.

oldskool posted:

Cobalt is nice because it's solid, not plated; if you do manage to scratch it somehow it won't show a backer material underneath. Nice if you're in that zone of "I do stuff with my hands but not in situations where having a ring on will get my finger ripped off".

The only major issues is that is has to be laser engraved (so if you want an engraving, you have to order it ahead of time; my jeweller found out the hard way wrecking a gold/silver engraving tool on my cobalt ring) and it can't be re-sized. Doesn't sound like a big deal but my wedding band ended up a full size too big somehow (probably due to an early summer initial sizing and an early fall wedding causing hand shrinkage via cooler weather and general :derp:getting married gotta lose weight:derp:) & it broke my heart to have to hand over the ring my wife put on me in front of everybody in order to get one I wouldn't send flying every time I washed my hands.

I am a big fan of metals like this, I mean I get that plating works and a lot of people like it but having something that doesn't show colour when scratched is very, very nice.

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah I've actually been seeing more and more cobalt moving lately. It was always around as a 'man's ring' (e.g. laser etched with barb wire or celtic knots) like tungsten, but lately there's been some nice gem set and higher end wedding styles coming out. Also been seeing it mixed with Platinum for women's settings.

Now you've gotten me all curious as to how they set gemstones in such strong (but very unbendable) materials :aaaaa:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Toriori posted:

The saga continues..

So we placed an order for sealing wax online and it shipped last week! We thought it'd be cool to wax seal our envelopes with a fleur-de-lis and have fleur-de-lis lollipops as favours since we are going to Quebec for our honeymoon!

I kinda like this sealing wax envelopes idea. Let me know how that goes because we might look into it. Do you think it will cause the postage to go up some due to the weight of the wax?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Now you've gotten me all curious as to how they set gemstones in such strong (but very unbendable) materials :aaaaa:

Well they're not being too adventurous with the pure cobalt because they can't really work it after it's set obviously. Even so it's more than I'd seen in the past:
(note: own hosting, not leeching)

Where it gets interesting though, and this part was new to me, is how they're alloying with platinum for the more complex settings.

http://jp.platinumguild.com/files/pdf/V13N3_features_benefits.pdf posted:

Platinum–Cobalt Alloys: Platinum–5% Cobalt alloy is chosen for jewelry application in casting of parts.
The alloy was originally developed for investment casting. The fluidity of the molten alloy leads to the
filling of complex castings. Generally, a better shrink cavity is achieved, and thus there is less micro
porosity distributed throughout the casting. The down-side of the alloy is that it forms an oxide during
soldering which requires special handling and procedures. The alloy is also slightly magnetic which can
complicate the separation of iron filings during scrap reclamation. Platinum alloy containing 23% cobalt
has extraordinary magnetic properties. Certain critical applications (aerospace, small instruments where a
short magnet is essential) demand Pt-Cobalt permanent magnets.

Which means you can end up with super hard things that look like this:

I think only the center peg head is the alloy in this case though.

I'd be curious to see what the oxide problems the articles mentions are and what those 'special handling/procedures' are.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

couldcareless posted:

I kinda like this sealing wax envelopes idea. Let me know how that goes because we might look into it. Do you think it will cause the postage to go up some due to the weight of the wax?

It is typically more expensive as the wax adds weight to the invitation and they need to be hand stamped instead of sent through the sorting machines since the wax will melt and mess up their machinery.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I used cheap rubbery sealing wax and it went through the regular mail just fine. I didn't have a "wedding-type" invite though, we did aged paper letter invites with a postcard and some additional information in a #10 envelope and it was well under the regular letter weight limit. In fact, I had Claes Oldenburger make a seal for it, and everyone loved it :)

FloorCheese
Jul 17, 2012

nonanone posted:

I used cheap rubbery sealing wax and it went through the regular mail just fine. I didn't have a "wedding-type" invite though, we did aged paper letter invites with a postcard and some additional information in a #10 envelope and it was well under the regular letter weight limit. In fact, I had Claes Oldenburger make a seal for it, and everyone loved it :)

That's awesome - you basically just described what my fiance and I plan on doing. No crazy fancy invites, but definitely sealing wax. Just because we can, I guess!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Scaramouche posted:

Well they're not being too adventurous with the pure cobalt because they can't really work it after it's set obviously. Even so it's more than I'd seen in the past:
(note: own hosting, not leeching)

Where it gets interesting though, and this part was new to me, is how they're alloying with platinum for the more complex settings.

Which means you can end up with super hard things that look like this:

I think only the center peg head is the alloy in this case though.

I'd be curious to see what the oxide problems the articles mentions are and what those 'special handling/procedures' are.

Whoaaa, i've heard of cobalt platinum mixtures but didn't realize the strength it had. Yea...odd that it requires special handling because of the oxides. Maybe at higher temperatures it releases some cobalt platinum oxygen combination that irritates skin?

nonanone posted:

Wahoo! I'm glad everyone liked it, I think the idea of wax sealing your wedding invites is so romantic :)

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

nonanone posted:

I ordered ours off Etsy, I don't think it'll add a substantial amount of weight. I actually designed our invitations! Can't seem to find the file with the wording but here's the general design I did:

On the back it's the solid colour with two birds at the bottom and instructions on how to get to where we're getting married.

We have chocolate brown envelopes and we're using gold pen to write on them along with the gold sealing wax. It's all relatively inexpensive but it'll look great.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So my girlfriend and I have completely changed all of our plans in regards to getting married and we couldn't be happier.

Initially, we were thinking of having a small (less than 50 people) ceremony. Now we're planning on eloping while on the road. Since we are currently living on other sides of the country, we're going to road trip to move her here (she's in central Alabama, I'm in Boise, Idaho).

My air force base is running exercises over the next few months so I'll finally get a nice break in February to fly there. Our current schedule looks like this:

Day 1: Fly in. Get our rental car and start loading it.
Day 2: Finish loading rental car and drive from central Alabama to Nashville (where my father lives). Spend the evening with him.
Day 3: Drive from Nashville to Oklahoma City.
Day 4: Drive from Oklahoma City to Albuquerque.
Day 5: Leave Albuquerque early morning and drive to Phoenix to pick up a marriage license.
Day 6: Get married in the morning and then drive to Las Vegas.
Day 7: Spend the whole day in Las Vegas.
Day 8: Leave Vegas for Boise.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled

Mordiceius posted:

So my girlfriend and I have completely changed all of our plans in regards to getting married and we couldn't be happier.

Initially, we were thinking of having a small (less than 50 people) ceremony. Now we're planning on eloping while on the road. Since we are currently living on other sides of the country, we're going to road trip to move her here (she's in central Alabama, I'm in Boise, Idaho).

My air force base is running exercises over the next few months so I'll finally get a nice break in February to fly there. Our current schedule looks like this:

Day 1: Fly in. Get our rental car and start loading it.
Day 2: Finish loading rental car and drive from central Alabama to Nashville (where my father lives). Spend the evening with him.
Day 3: Drive from Nashville to Oklahoma City.
Day 4: Drive from Oklahoma City to Albuquerque.
Day 5: Leave Albuquerque early morning and drive to Phoenix to pick up a marriage license.
Day 6: Get married in the morning and then drive to Las Vegas.
Day 7: Spend the whole day in Las Vegas.
Day 8: Leave Vegas for Boise.
Are you at concerned about the prospect of the two of you getting into a big argument on the drive and then angrily having to go through with the wedding? I know how my finance and I are on road trips and this would be an issue.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is an odd one I thought I'd pick you guys' brains over (jewelers and ring owners). We sold someone a relatively common palladium wedding band for their wedding ceremony. They've just called me up all in tears because it's 'all scratched up' after five days of wearing. I keep a careful eye on our palladium stuff, and refuse to sell anything less than PD950 (95% Palladium), and I've never encountered this before. Palladium ring owners, do you got scratches? Jewel guys, is there a lifestyle thing here (e.g. hammering iron) that could contribute?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cock Democracy posted:

Are you at concerned about the prospect of the two of you getting into a big argument on the drive and then angrily having to go through with the wedding? I know how my finance and I are on road trips and this would be an issue.

We've never done multi-day roadtrips, but we've done 8-10 hour car rides with each other many times before.

Often times when she comes to visit me, we go see my folks which is a 10 hour drive. And we also went and spent a week in Seattle before and that was an 8 hour drive.

So we have no problem driving together. Never done a multi-day roadtrip but I assume it won't be bad because she's just excited to finally move here.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
What's the opinion of Blue Nile? I have a heirloom ring that I want to use the diamond from. My girlfriend likes certain Tacori and Hearts on Fire styles (a three-stone pave) and BN has a great white gold setting with side diamonds for about $1200. It's no HoF but I'm not rich and I'd like to get engaged before New Year's. Will local jewlers work with a BN setting and my heirloom diamond, or should I just try to find what I want locally?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Welp, they lost half our wedding photos. Either lost or outright deleted because "the subject looked the wrong way, they were blurry or otherwise not up to our standards" & "we don't have limitless storage space, we can't hold on to all the photos we took forever! :downs:" as far as the last email response. But hey they data recovered three meaningless quasi-duplicate shots instead of, y'know, any of the ones of us standing with either my mom's or dad's side of the family!
I'm unleashing mother-in-lawzilla on them & they aren't getting another dime unless those pictures (at the very least) are found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FloorCheese
Jul 17, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

This is an odd one I thought I'd pick you guys' brains over (jewelers and ring owners). We sold someone a relatively common palladium wedding band for their wedding ceremony. They've just called me up all in tears because it's 'all scratched up' after five days of wearing. I keep a careful eye on our palladium stuff, and refuse to sell anything less than PD950 (95% Palladium), and I've never encountered this before. Palladium ring owners, do you got scratches? Jewel guys, is there a lifestyle thing here (e.g. hammering iron) that could contribute?

I have a 95% platinum band and it basically got instantly scratched and banged up, and I work an office job. I have no idea how I'm managing to get it so scratched and dinged, but yeah. I've had it for like 2 weeks and there are dings and scratches all over it.