Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had that problem trying to migrate a Nexus 5x to a Nokia 6.1. Read that it was a bug.

The Nokia turned out to be a lemon, so I replaced it with a Pixel 2, but since I already started the transfer according to the Nexus, I couldn't try again with the Pixel (from what I remember).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

wandler20 posted:

It's like my pixel 2 is trying to charge itself from the new phone.

Edit: Wiggled the cable a bit and it started working. Off to a great start here lol

When I did it, my OG Pixel turned off at some point during the process because my Pixel 4 XL was charging off it. The transfer was actually successful though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

VelociBacon posted:

I have an S9+ that I bought at launch. Whenever I am home it basically always sits on a wireless charger on my desk. I feel like the battery life is much lower now than it was when the phone was new (from full charge to about 15% with fairly frequent use throughout the day - when I got the phone I feel like this same amount of use would leave me with around 40%). My use has not really changed in this time. I run the samsung Device Care app regularly.

Did I decondition the battery by leaving the phone on the charger? I don't remember reading about this being a concern.

That sounds about what I would expect for about two years of regular use, the battery will degrade during use so it should be hitting around that percentage even without the wireless charger.

It's possible that the wireless charger is making it slightly worse but at a negligible level if so, because part of the charging standard is negotiating the charging rate so the phone can step down the intake as it tops off. On the other hand keeping your phone from reaching deep discharge cycles is also better for battery lifespan. :shrug:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Pixel (3) question: I originally bought my 3 in November last year and around April it stopped charging from USB C. I cleaned the port, tried different cables, and chargers, and nothing helped. So it lasted 5 months.

Then they replaced it with a refurb one that I've been using since and it worked fine until last night, where it refused to charge consistently. When I first plugged it in it would just pulse over and over like it was being plugged in and unplugged over and over. I switched to another cable and it got a stable connection after cleaning out the port and wiggling the new cable in.

I cleaned the port out more today and it looks really clean and the cables connect well for the most part but if the cable gets jiggled in one direction too much it stops charging.

Has anyone else has this charging port issue? I'm wondering if Google or best buy will replace my phone again if it gets worse. Its almost been a year since I bought it which I think is the warranty time.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

I have an S9+ that I bought at launch. Whenever I am home it basically always sits on a wireless charger on my desk. I feel like the battery life is much lower now than it was when the phone was new (from full charge to about 15% with fairly frequent use throughout the day - when I got the phone I feel like this same amount of use would leave me with around 40%). My use has not really changed in this time. I run the samsung Device Care app regularly.

Did I decondition the battery by leaving the phone on the charger? I don't remember reading about this being a concern.
I was hoping the battery would give me an excuse to replace my S8 this quarter, but it's still at 93% according to accubattery and I get 5-7hrs SOT depending on apps/dark modes.
However every once in a while I will get unexplained screen-off drain. Rebooting sometimes fixes this, wiping the cache partition always fixes it. If you've tried neither, I would start there.

Fast wireless charging always made my phone feel warm to a point I didn't like, so I disabled that. It's possible you've just slowly cooked the battery; they do not like long term heat.
Try running accubattery for a week - it'll give you an idea whether this is placebo or you're down on your design capacity.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/11/02/android-10-oneplus-6t-oxygenos-10/

Android 10 is rolling out to the OP6 and OP6T (T-Mobile version excepted in the OP6T case.)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Khablam posted:

I was hoping the battery would give me an excuse to replace my S8 this quarter, but it's still at 93% according to accubattery and I get 5-7hrs SOT depending on apps/dark modes.
However every once in a while I will get unexplained screen-off drain. Rebooting sometimes fixes this, wiping the cache partition always fixes it. If you've tried neither, I would start there.

Fast wireless charging always made my phone feel warm to a point I didn't like, so I disabled that. It's possible you've just slowly cooked the battery; they do not like long term heat.
Try running accubattery for a week - it'll give you an idea whether this is placebo or you're down on your design capacity.

Great - I'll check that out.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting frustrated with Soli gestures: it reminds me of the Wii, where unless you made grand, sweeping, very deliberate gestures, it'd get confused and give a result that was worse than if you just pressed a button. I'm also finding myself making the fingerprint swipe-down gesture to open the notifications as well, shame it only works on the homescreen.

Grumbles aside, is there anything out there that'll wirelessly charge the Pixel 4 at full speed, that's not the Pixel Stand?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

spincube posted:

I'm getting frustrated with Soli gestures: it reminds me of the Wii, where unless you made grand, sweeping, very deliberate gestures, it'd get confused and give a result that was worse than if you just pressed a button. I'm also finding myself making the fingerprint swipe-down gesture to open the notifications as well, shame it only works on the homescreen.

Grumbles aside, is there anything out there that'll wirelessly charge the Pixel 4 at full speed, that's not the Pixel Stand?

This Anker pad should charge full speed, I'll let you know when it gets in next week.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GYR8SGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

Qualcomm is a problem, and not just with the wearable market. We aren't going to see revolutionary mobile design until they get some real competition. Any big progression from here is going to require mobile processing power that qualcomm simply isn't capable of supplying. This is the danger of relying too heavily on a company that wants consistent incremental upgrades every year in order to have a steady stream of revenue from a broad market.
Let's also not forget that qualcomm is one of the primary reasons for the short update viability window since Google reliant on them for binary driver blobs for their SoC's. If Qualcomm wants everyone to upgrade, they just have to make the older hardware a pain to support.
It's sure awesome then that Samsung is ditching their own CPU department and will just license and integrate ARM designs instead.

Then again, not like they have the performance crown.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Aight I'm returning to the states later today after being gone almost since the Nexus 4 launched. What's the deal 1.5 weeks later? Everyone still happy with their 4XLs? Any issues pop up in the meantime?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

Aight I'm returning to the states later today after being gone almost since the Nexus 4 launched. What's the deal 1.5 weeks later? Everyone still happy with their 4XLs? Any issues pop up in the meantime?

I still like mine, although the Nexus 4 was released about 7 years ago.

The only problem I'm having with my 4XL is weird audio compression artifacts when recording video in 3rd party apps like Instagram, google did something fucky with something. Otherwise, it's a great phone so far!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Lol yeah, definitely meant pixel 4xl

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I liked the Nexus 4. Although the Nexus one will always have a special place in my heart. Trackball supremacy. :unsmith:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

I liked the Nexus 4. Although the Nexus one will always have a special place in my heart. Trackball supremacy. :unsmith:

I unironically miss my Blackberry Pearl :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I had the Bold 9000 :smug:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Having some minor issues with my pixel 3a xl since the android 10 update. It won't show the black screen with the clock and charge percentage when I double tap, instead it goes straight to the unlock/preview screen. Also, it won't close apps consistently. When I clear all or swipe up each app, I back out and look again only to find they didn't go away. They sometimes persist between rests, other times they close on their own during the rest period.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's it, turn in your star

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I have my blackberry bold in a drawer somewhere. I miss that little fucker

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's sure awesome then that Samsung is ditching their own CPU department

IBM is switching their chip fab from Global Foundries to Samsung for the Power10 CPU. Could be part of it because the expected volume is high.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Words never spoken before

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

AlexDeGruven posted:

IBM is switching their chip fab from Global Foundries to Samsung for the Power10 CPU. Could be part of it because the expected volume is high.
Their CPU design department. If they are still going to make Exynos SoCs, except with these ARM performance cores, as they're called, instead of their Mongoose/Cheetah cores, they still need fab capacities, after all.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I'm looking to buy a new phone, preferably as a re-up on my Verizon account, but I'm willing to switch carriers.

What's important to me:
- Good radio / call quality
- Good battery
- Doesn't get too hot
- Good selfie camera, but I also want a good front facing camera
- Headphone jack
- Water resistant/proof
- When reinforced, preferably with a low-profile case, that it's drop/damage resistant
- Prefer "stock" Android experience or close to it

Any recommendations?

Edit:

I've been following Linus Tech Tips, and he still seems to run as Galaxy Note 9 (not a 10) as his "daily driver." I'm totally cool going for a "last gen" phone if it's a better well-rounded experience.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 3, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Unless you need an S-pen or can't deal with a hole punch, just get an S10 or S10+. They still tick all of your boxes and will be supported longer. If you already had a Note 9, then it wouldn't be worth it to upgrade. Since you don't, you might as well go with the latest.

Though, no Samsung phone is going to be that damage resistant due to the curved screen. Well, the S10e has a flat display so that's an option.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pixel 4 fast wireless charging discussion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/dnaf02/pixel_4_xl_fast_wireless_chargers_discussion/

One tip, if it advertises fast charging with LG devices, there's a good chance it will work with the Pixel 4. LG uses EPP for their wireless fast charging.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 3, 2019

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

vyst posted:

I have my blackberry bold in a drawer somewhere. I miss that little fucker

I almost got a BB classic when it came out just because I loved the physical keyboard so much.
The ultimate disappointment in my book was WebOS. It was so so so far ahead of it's time. :smith:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Dahbadu posted:

I'm looking to buy a new phone, preferably as a re-up on my Verizon account, but I'm willing to switch carriers.

What's important to me:
- Good radio / call quality
- Good battery
- Doesn't get too hot
- Good selfie camera, but I also want a good front facing camera
- Headphone jack
- Water resistant/proof
- When reinforced, preferably with a low-profile case, that it's drop/damage resistant
- Prefer "stock" Android experience or close to it

Any recommendations?

Edit:

I've been following Linus Tech Tips, and he still seems to run as Galaxy Note 9 (not a 10) as his "daily driver." I'm totally cool going for a "last gen" phone if it's a better well-rounded experience.
If you want a 3.5mm because you own some decent cans and want higher grade audio, grab an S10(+)
Otherwise the Pixel 3a ticks all the boxes.
The 3.5mm from the 3a is by no means bad, but the s10 comes out on top of the phones still using a 3.5mm jack.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Khablam posted:

The Pixel 3a has no waterproofing.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Khablam posted:

If you want a 3.5mm because you own some decent cans and want higher grade audio, grab an S10(+)
The 3.5mm from the 3a is by no means bad, but the s10 comes out on top of the phones still using a 3.5mm jack.

This is perfect advice. Thank you!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dahbadu posted:

Edit:

He says he's going to use the Galaxy Fold now. (!) Curious to see how it holds up long term.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CLAM DOWN posted:

:same:

Give me a phone with that form factor/keyboard and more modern software and I'll never switch.

I love the bigh phone, but the Pearl hit the right combination of size and function.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Charles posted:

He says he's going to use the Galaxy Fold now. (!) Curious to see how it holds up long term.

It’s Linus, so he’s gonna break it (ideally accidentally, but I wouldn’t put it past him to “encourage” it breaking) and then he’s going to do a video about it breaking with a surprised pikachu face thumbnail

He is by far the trashiest Youtuber I watch

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Way back when, I was deciding between a Blackberry Storm and some weird Google phone called an HTC G1 for my first smartphone. Glad I made the right choice!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't like that Google Photos no longer syncs with Google Drive. I liked that because Google Drive synced with my NAS, so I have a local copy of all my photos. Google Photos has now made that a pain in the rear end to do, is there some other app I should consider using now?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So now that Exynos is dead does that mean all Samsungs will be Qualcomm?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

fletcher posted:

I don't like that Google Photos no longer syncs with Google Drive. I liked that because Google Drive synced with my NAS, so I have a local copy of all my photos. Google Photos has now made that a pain in the rear end to do, is there some other app I should consider using now?

I use Dropbox. It syncs photos with my desktop. I don't see why I couldn't also use Google Photos at the same time.

I believe One Drive also allows for automatic photo syncing.

Both would have the problem of limited storage space, so you'd have to either pay more or proactively clean out the folders.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

My mom has been using a Note 5, and it is finally getting to the point that she can't deal with the shot battery life anymore. She likes the large screen and the S Pen, but current note prices are way way higher than she has any interest in spending. Is there anything reasonably priced out there with stylus functionality? Understanding that there probably isn't, she is reluctantly accepting that she'll probably have to deal with losing the stylus, and we were looking at getting her a 3a XL, to keep a good sized screen and battery for her. It'll also help when she asks for help and I can help her navigate the phone settings since they'll be the same as my phone (Pixel 3) instead of trying to understand where samsung buried some menu or toggle. Is there anything else out there we should be considering for large screen, reasonable price, continued support (since she obviously holds onto phones a while)? Also, can you still do the Fi thing where you sign up a new line to get the 25% off on the phone, activate it within 30 days, and then cancel service before the first month is up to keep the discounted phone?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have you considered getting a Note 5 battery and swap yourself. I am sure there is a how to video how there.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Did anybody else lose a shitload of Google Fun Bux in their survey app? Last night I had over $80 and today I've got just over $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

They're supposed to expire, but that seems like a lot to expire all at once.

I never had more than like $20, currently at like $12 and it's still all there.