Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I feel really bad Chocobo Dungeon wasn't mentioned earlier when we learned Square Enix was ready to bring back all the franchises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Cool opinion. But have you considered that other people disagree?

I could have said all the same things that you have before Final Fantasy X-2 came out, and that turned out to be a generally well-received game. One of the most distinct differences between video games and other forms of media is the ability of sequels to always have the potential to be great.

That isn't a distinct difference between games and other media. That's just stupid. There's no reason a movie sequel or book sequel can't be good.

FFX-2 also wasn't a sequel made a decade after the fact by a completely different team. Any theoretical Chrono Trigger sequel would be.

It's entirely possible a Chrono Trigger sequel could be good. It's possible anything could be good. However expecting a sequel to be good just because it shares the name of a good thing is dumb. Chrono Trigger wasn't good because it was Chrono Trigger. It was good because it was the creation of a strong team of creators with well-defined ideas working on a strong concept, and also because it came out at a time when the ideas and concepts it introduced were revolutionary and fresh to some degree or another.

I don't understand the desire people have for a sequel just to have a sequel. A sequel by a strong creative team? Sure, that makes sense. A sequel by the original development team? Sure, that makes sense. Just a generic Chrono Break by Whoever? Who gives a poo poo?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 14, 2016

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I'd be okay with more games like Echoes of Time

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

zedprime posted:

I feel really bad Chocobo Dungeon wasn't mentioned earlier when we learned Square Enix was ready to bring back all the franchises.

yeah. now think about what you've done

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean at least Mystery Dungeon games still come out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Phantasium posted:

I mean at least Mystery Dungeon games still come out.

chocobo dungeon is NOT made by the Mystery Dungeon people

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wait what? Huh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really wish there was another Crystal Chronicles game that was actually like the original Crystal Chronicles. I was lucky enough to have three friends with GBAs back in college so we actually got to play four-player, all gathered around the TV in my friend's dorm room, and it was an absolute blast. It seems like something like that could easily work on the 3DS with online play, and it's not like they haven't tried, but none of the sequels really scratched that same itch.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/RRnKNGo.gifv

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
So I thought Brave Exvius was just a Record Keeper-style/all menus game, and I was really surprised when I got to the first town and was walking around talking to people and completing quests. Seems really cool so far! Also I have Terra in Majitek armor, so that's neat.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Harrow posted:

I figured it was more that ambient magic faded. People could still do it, but it became less and less prevalent. For example, the lack of airships and teleport crystals in FFT and the subtler, darker magic in Vagrant Story (with the Dark being the ultimate sealed-away power). If I'm not mistaken, there's also no reference to Mist in either Tactics or Vagrant Story. It faded, but never really completely went away.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Vagrant Story's Dark is related to the Espers/Lucavi. After all, the Rood Inverse/Blood-Sin appears when you summon an Esper in FFXII.
It is almost like FFT was a self-contained story.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

It is almost like FFT was a self-contained story.

I mean, yes, but they did intentionally set FFXII in Ivalice and then weave in references to things alluded to in Tactics (like the fact that moogles once existed and are extinct by the time Tactics takes place). FFXII was intentionally set in the same timeline as Tactics so I don't think it's too crazy to think about why the version of Ivalice we see in XII is so different.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Harrow posted:

It seems like something like that could easily work on the 3DS with online play, and it's not like they haven't tried, but none of the sequels really scratched that same itch.
they did this for that Zelda game where you had to have a bunch of GBAs so everyone could play

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

gently caress all that make a new chocobo dungeon game

:hellyeah:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The XIV patch next week adds a 1-4 player rogue-ish dungeon that Yoshi-P said was inspired by Chocobo Dungeon, so at least it lives on somewhat.

You can do it, Chocobo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Actually Chrono Cross is good and powerful and a neat end cap on the idea of "What if we took CT's time travel story a little too far?" and everything's hosed up because the Hero's hosed up time to save the day.

:yeah:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the major problem with Chrono Cross is that it doesn't have a central coherent idea.

It has two concepts: "What if Chrono Trigger's time travel had serious consequences" and a butterfly-effect style "What if one change made the world drastically different." Both of which can sustain a game on their own but together are just too convoluted for their own good, especially since the game lacks a central cast to really strongly define it. They really needed to pick one and focus on it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Double?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i loved chrono cross, more sequels need to kill the previous game protags without warning and off -screen

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
more games need a billion playable characters 3 of who matter

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Might I suggest the Suikoden series

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

mandatory lesbian posted:

more games need a billion playable characters 3 of who matter

You can get 3 Mojoy's ?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/LSdlMHB.gifv

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 15, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think the major problem with Chrono Cross is that it doesn't have a central coherent idea.

It has two concepts: "What if Chrono Trigger's time travel had serious consequences" and a butterfly-effect style "What if one change made the world drastically different." Both of which can sustain a game on their own but together are just too convoluted for their own good, especially since the game lacks a central cast to really strongly define it. They really needed to pick one and focus on it.

I don't know that those two ideas are necessarily at odds, but at the same time, they probably needed to do a better job of delineating the side effects of each. Part of what makes the game so confusing on a first read is that the timeline effects that are the result of the Chrono Trigger Crew's defeating Lavos and the effects of Serge not drowning get mixed together and it's a nightmare trying to tease it all apart. (See: that gigantic pastebin from a couple pages back which, while fascinating, really highlights what a clusterfuck the plot is.)

It's stuffed full of great ideas but it doesn't really take the time to let those ideas breathe in between twists, so you just end up with a big infodump-by-ghost at the end.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think they should make a Chocobo Racing sequel. Or bring back Rad Racer.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Or bring back Rad Racer.

The technology's here, it's time for The VR Battles of WorldRunner.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Speaking of which, if you visit SE at Comic-Con in San Diego next week you get to try out some FFXV...themed go-kart! And also some actual FFXV.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I think they should make a Chocobo Racing sequel. Or bring back Rad Racer.

Chocobo Racing 3DS was the reason I bought my 3DS :sigh:

it also looked like it was gonna be awful but at the time all I could see was the logo and that was enough for me!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FFVII A New Threat's been pretty good for it's Shinra Building stuff. He took out the diorama puzzle and just handed you the keycard in the first chest then filled the others with items.
Also threw a Carry Armour in front of the Diorama room that instantly deals 5000+ damage when you fight him. Doesn't game over and just throws you out of fight with 0 HP on everybody.

The Sample:H0512 fight was neat primarily because it casts matra magic and laser early on netting you two decent enemy skills. The gimmick it had for the fight was more of a timewaste though.

He inserted save points after the party meets with Rufus and before the Rufus fight. Also put a shop just before the elevator.

Hundred Gunner actually hit pretty hard with his second form being pretty damaging to the whole party but Aeris being primarily a healer and damage dealer wrecked him.

Heli Gunner was surprising but really easy in the end by just spamming Matra Magic and using Osmose to regain MP back.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Harrow posted:

I don't know that those two ideas are necessarily at odds, but at the same time, they probably needed to do a better job of delineating the side effects of each. Part of what makes the game so confusing on a first read is that the timeline effects that are the result of the Chrono Trigger Crew's defeating Lavos and the effects of Serge not drowning get mixed together and it's a nightmare trying to tease it all apart. (See: that gigantic pastebin from a couple pages back which, while fascinating, really highlights what a clusterfuck the plot is.)

It's stuffed full of great ideas but it doesn't really take the time to let those ideas breathe in between twists, so you just end up with a big infodump-by-ghost at the end.

They were also deep into their hardcore environmentalist phase when they made that game and the pro-environmental messages are really, really ill thought out. Why are dwarves driving death-black-smoke-billowing tanks in order to genocide fairies for living space chewing us out for taking bad care of the planet? Why are the fairies siding with them!? At least FFVII committed the proper time and effort to make its environmental message both central and sensible. Wasn't Japan in the throes of a giant wave of environmentalism in the mid 90s? Did I imagine reading that? It would explain why Chrono Cross's pro-environment message was shoehorned in; perhaps players at the time just kind of expected to be made to feel like poo poo for being human.

Still, at the end of the day I can't hate that game. Something about the way they threw all that crap at the wall wound up sticking with me anyway. And they tried. They tried so hard. They failed! A lot! But they tried, and for some reason CC's (and FF's) mad flailing is endearing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Actually, chrono cross is good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chrono Cross is one of my favorite PSX JRPGs, I turned my nose up at it for years because it wasn't exactly the same as Chrono Trigger but when I actually sat down to play it I wound up loving it. It's a bit of a beautiful mess but it's still a lot of fun to play, I love the battle system and general look of the game, to say nothing of the soundtrack. The huge cast is honestly just a distraction because to me Cross is basically just a story about Serge and Kid, and what they have there is pretty strong IMO. You still get enough of interesting folks to add a little bit of flavor, like Karsh/Glenn/Fargo, that it still feels like you have a decently sized party to work with. And while most of the reason I like the game has nothing to do with Trigger, I thought it was really interesting take on "hey maybe saving the world through time fuckery wasn't the perfect ideal idea we thought it would be."

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Chrono Break it is, then.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/8YpDd9J.gifv

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I liked Chrono Cross, it's plot was a mess and I still don't quite get it but it was a pretty cool RPG.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Chrono Cross was cool and fun but also wierd and janky as poo poo so I can't fault anyone for not liking it as a followup to Trigger

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just wish it was remade because that art style could look even more gorgeous and also not run at whatever PS1 framerate it was stuck at.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

me, irl, waiting for the topic to change to a good game

sigh, sip

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

FFVII A New Threat's been pretty good for it's Shinra Building stuff. He took out the diorama puzzle and just handed you the keycard in the first chest then filled the others with items.
Also threw a Carry Armour in front of the Diorama room that instantly deals 5000+ damage when you fight him. Doesn't game over and just throws you out of fight with 0 HP on everybody.

The Sample:H0512 fight was neat primarily because it casts matra magic and laser early on netting you two decent enemy skills. The gimmick it had for the fight was more of a timewaste though.

He inserted save points after the party meets with Rufus and before the Rufus fight. Also put a shop just before the elevator.

Hundred Gunner actually hit pretty hard with his second form being pretty damaging to the whole party but Aeris being primarily a healer and damage dealer wrecked him.

Heli Gunner was surprising but really easy in the end by just spamming Matra Magic and using Osmose to regain MP back.

Are you using Barret in the Front or Back Row? I never could decide which I wanted. Then I kicked him out of the party for Vincent and Cait Sith. (I've literally never used CS. I want to try something new)

I like Chrono Cross because it's clearly Masato Kato tries to write Chrono Trigger meets Xenogears. YMMV on how that worked out but I respect him for trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I don't like the idea of Serge being a silent protagonist in that game. It worked for Trigger because you had a party of interesting and memorable characters to go along with the plot. Cross just had a mess of characters all with the same precanned dialogue with accent filters. I don't like it when most your party has no characterization. Didnt like that about DQ9 either.

In the end you rely on the strength of the plot. And like it's been said, while it's interesting, it's a convoluted mess that doesn't get fully explained until the very end of the game. And even then, unless you were taking notes or something, you still wouldn't know what was going on unless you looked at a write up online.

Once you better understand the plot the game is aight. Good music too.