Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

A and B: Extend the current merc contracts then gear up. This is a one-time lump sum, we should avoid investments with high upkeep, like mobile militia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
C, just because I'd like to see a kind of new game mechanic.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
A then B later. Mobile militia would be a lot of money and effort for something that likely isn't all that interesting from an LP standpoint.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Concordat posted:

Six barrel grenade launcher? Don't be silly.

Gah! Fixed.

Concordat posted:

I hope you're hanging onto a few break lights and flares. Those are probably one of the most deadly tools available on night missions that go loud.

Everyone's got at least two break lights, with Stealth/Night Ops mercs packing more.

As for the voting, no actual deadline to speak of, as I'll probably at least wait until after I finish taking Grumm to do any hiring or make any purchases.

A couple of additional considerations:

* Extending current merc contracts is all well and good, but it also means that, in the event that we lose more mercs in combat, it could be a chunk of money down the tubes.

* We will also soon be adding the Grumm mine to our income stream.

* Mobile militia are a good fit story-wise. To me personally, it marks the next logical progression from training town garrisons, and represents the Arulcans moving a step closer to taking back their country. Plus it'll cut down on the less-interesting and time-consuming between-town battles for the core combat teams.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
C as first priority with A as second priority, saving at least a little surplus to buy weapons later.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

I've looked into the INI. Here's the default mobile militia cost:
Each training session is $2250
Upkeep for a single green mobile militia is $15
Upkeep for a single blue mobile militia is $30
Upkeep for a single elite mobile militia is $45
Each training session trains 2 to 10 militia

For reference, it only costs $750 to train a garrison and the upkeep is $10/$20/$30 (cost in order of green-blue-elite). Essentially, one veteran mobile militia has the same upkeep as an elite garrisoned militia.

In short, we'll burn through our 90k fast training Mobiles unless Grumm adds enough to support the economic burden.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Emissary666 posted:

I've looked into the INI. Here's the default mobile militia cost:
Each training session is $2250
Upkeep for a single green mobile militia is $15
Upkeep for a single blue mobile militia is $30
Upkeep for a single elite mobile militia is $45
Each training session trains 2 to 10 militia

For reference, it only costs $750 to train a garrison and the upkeep is $10/$20/$30 (cost in order of green-blue-elite). Essentially, one veteran mobile militia has the same upkeep as an elite garrisoned militia.

In short, we'll burn through our 90k fast training Mobiles unless Grumm adds enough to support the economic burden.

I haven't changed the default costs for mobile militia (though maybe I should...?).

Don't know how much $$$ Grumm's mine will add to the equation, and we'll also need to factor in the upkeep cost of Grumm's 6-sector garrison, but we're also currently running a surplus of about $15k/day (not including merc contracts). At that rate, we can actually afford to support 500 veteran mobile militia.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

FiddlersThree posted:

I haven't changed the default costs for mobile militia (though maybe I should...?).

Don't know how much $$$ Grumm's mine will add to the equation, and we'll also need to factor in the upkeep cost of Grumm's 6-sector garrison, but we're also currently running a surplus of about $15k/day (not including merc contracts). At that rate, we can actually afford to support 500 veteran mobile militia.
So we can afford to maintain them, still have a positive income allowing us to buy other stuff/mercs, makes sense in-story and it shows off a mechanic that we still haven't seen. Seems win-win to me.

Disclaimer: I might also be biased because I voted for this.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Option C. Mobile Militia means less time scrambling for sector cleanup, which means more actual plot.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
C with a side of A. There are the story reasons you've already stated, plus it seems to me like the route Mike would take.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

FiddlersThree posted:

Assuming you get all 6 sectors to blue, that's $3600/day. The Grumm mine can probably cover that plus a bit extra. Not factoring in Grumm, the current financial situation covers mobile militia.

Also, I need to make a major revision to my previous post. Each training session produces between 1 and 10 militia (see below). The 2 came from a misread of "interval" as "minimum" due to me being somewhat rushed when I started that post.

The overall cost of your militia is highly dependent on three settings. They are NUM MOBILE MILITIA TRAINED PER SESSION, LEADERSHIP AFFECTS MOBILE MILITIA QUANTITY, and LEADERSHIP AFFECTS MOBILE MILITIA QUALITY (I shall refer to them as NUMBER, QUANTITY, and QUALITY for brevity). Obviously, NUMBER affects how many training sessions you need, but if QUANTITY is set to TRUE (which by default it is), instead of a flat number of militia, a number based on the leadership of the best trainer in the sector is produced. The number is based on the MIN LEADERSHIP TO TRAIN MOBILE MILITIA (by default 40) and REQ LEADERSHIP FOR MAX MOBILE MILITIA (by default 80) and how far the trainer's leadership is from both numbers. So, if you have a leadership of 40, you will train 1 militia per session and if you have a leadership of 80, you will train 10 per session (or whatever NUMBER is set as). Also, if QUALITY is set to TRUE (which by default it is), the type of militia produced will be based on the trainers leadership; 100 is all elites, 40 is all greens, and 60 is an even mix of greens, elites, and veterans.

So, the cost really comes down to the leadership score of the trainer. If someone with 60 leadership was set to train mobile militia, they would get 5 militia and probably 2 greens, 2 veterans, and 1 elite (this is only a simplification). So the upkeep required from one training session is $105. If someone with 40 leadership trained mobile militia, they would produce 1 green, with an upkeep of $15 If someone with 100 leadership were to train mobiles, they would train ten elites, resulting in $450 in upkeep. Currently, Sam has 91 leadership. If you were to use him to train mobile militia, you would get 10 militia, with only elites and veterans.
Sorry for the blocks of text.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Emissary666 posted:

Training breakdown

I may be misunderstanding, but it seems like the breakdown would apply more to figuring out how many times we'd have to pay the initial $2,250 outlay in order to train up a certain number of mobile militia. Given the surplus we're currently running, I'm not too concerned about the upkeep. I just don't want to chew through our entire bank account. I'll have to think about just how much to train.

Either way, it probably won't happen for a little while, given the current state of progress in both Grumm and San Mona. The teams are getting a little shot up in Grumm, so I'll definitely need some recuperation time.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

FiddlersThree posted:

I may be misunderstanding, but it seems like the breakdown would apply more to figuring out how many times we'd have to pay the initial $2,250 outlay in order to train up a certain number of mobile militia. Given the surplus we're currently running, I'm not too concerned about the upkeep. I just don't want to chew through our entire bank account. I'll have to think about just how much to train.

Either way, it probably won't happen for a little while, given the current state of progress in both Grumm and San Mona. The teams are getting a little shot up in Grumm, so I'll definitely need some recuperation time.

Before I start, I feel I should preface with another INI option. ALLOW DYNAMIC RESTRICTED ROAMING sets the area mobile militia can move to be based on what cities you hold. By default this is set to TRUE and I am assuming that this you have it set similarly. Here is the guide to militia restrictions (taken from the 1.13 wiki): http://www.bookgallery.co.il/JA2PublicPosts/HAM/RoamingMilitiaAnimation.swf

The problem is balancing upkeep, militia strength, and training costs. For example, if Sam were to train mobiles, you would have a strong and numerous militia, but upkeep would be close to $1000 for 20 militia, but it would only cost $4500 to train. However, twenty militia would be hard pressed to defend the Drassen-Chitzena route on their own. Another 20 is another near-1000 and another $4500. So, for ~$2000 upkeep and $9000 in training costs, you could have 40 militia, which should be enough to keep the northern cities somewhat clear. However, Grumm adds twelve sectors of roaming, most of which are frequently visited by enemies. 40 militia would be able to secure it, but only barely, that's another $2250 - $4500 in training and another $500 - $1000 in upkeep, leaving the Grumm area to cost between $11250 and $13500 in training costs and between ~$2500 and ~$3000 in upkeep.
If a lesser trainer were set to train mobiles, it would take a lot more training sessions to get as many militia and would need more militia in general to effectively hold an area, raising upkeep costs even more.
Also, of all the mercs you mentioned as possible trainers only one (Hitman) has a high enough leadership to train mobiles. Hiring better trainers is more expensive and, though you have good trainers, you would have to take them off of combat duty for a significant period of time.

As I mentioned at the beginning of the post, Dynamic roaming restricts where mobile militia are allowed to travel based on what cities you hold. Since we currently have Chitzena and Drassen, our militia can only patrol in the surrounding sectors and the road between the two cities, as well as San Mona. Holding Chitzena and Grumm lets our militia partol almost the entire west coast, which the exception of Meduna and a few squares around it. Holding Drassen, Grumm, and Chitzena essentially allows you to patrol the outer perimeter of the country. Mobile militia are most effective at this point, as they have a mostly linear path, meaning that less are required. Once cambria is taken, the amount of free movement necessitates a much larger number of mobile militia to effectively cover all of your cities. Until you take Cambria, mobile militia is mostly affordable and good for keeping your roads clear.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
A and C
Hire Flo and Biff for mobile training, and bring on Buns, and... MD? Spider? some other medic.

I feel like the mobile militia will be a useful tool for speeding up the gameplay by allowing your mercs to focus on offense, and Buns/another Medic or trainer will allow you to advance further, while keeping your troops in tip top condition, and your newly captured territory garrisoned. Also, I love Flo and Buns, because everybody hates them (inexplicably, I might add).

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 29, 2012

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

A and C
Hire Flo and Biff for mobile training, and bring on Buns, and... MD? Spider? some other medic.

Flo and Biff are wholly awesome at training, but only when brought to Arulco in the very early game so they have time to build up their leadership scores. Both, I think, start very low (so low that they can't even train basic militia, I think, without building their Leadership a bit), so unfortunately, they wouldn't work for mobile. What *might* be an option would be to have mercs like Biff and Flo handle the training of the Grumm garrison while Sam and (Jesse? Ira?) handle the mobile militia.

I'll be slow with this next update again, unfortunately. I've been working late pretty much all week, and haven't even finished playing out the sequence, let alone had time to assemble the screenshots and gifs. But rest assured, it'll come as soon as I have some time to put it together!

(edit: and, also, thanks much to Emissary666 again for the mobile militia analysis! One other factor is that, once the mobile militia gets cooking and starts clearing the enemies off the roads, we'll be able to cut down a little on the city and SAM garrisons, which will help mitigate the maintenance burden)

FiddlersThree fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 29, 2012

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
All this talk about hiring mercs and you all are ignoring two free ones just waiting to be picked up when someone wanders into the sector.

Come on get Mad dog and the robot already. And you better put the raddest goddamn machine gun on the bot.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

C so you can show off a new game mechanic.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Though D is tempting, I also will go for C. I never really used the mobiles myself, as I like to do all the killing.

Your merc roster is pretty good right now, and you're not really behind the equipment level. Some handpicked purchases should be doable, while raising the mobiles. People should always get the As-Val and the Vss Vintorez for night battles. So make it happen, if you can. :v:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

Though D is tempting, I also will go for C. I never really used the mobiles myself, as I like to do all the killing.

Your merc roster is pretty good right now, and you're not really behind the equipment level. Some handpicked purchases should be doable, while raising the mobiles. People should always get the As-Val and the Vss Vintorez for night battles. So make it happen, if you can. :v:

this reminds me of only outfitting my dudes with STALKER guns and stuff. So much fun.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
South Grumm, Arulco
July 16, 2011 -- 1308 EST

Despite the injuries to Hamous and Dimitri, the two squads press deeper into Grumm.

“What’s it look like, Hamous?”

Concealed in the tall grass, the small man peers for a few more moments through his binoculars at the factory in the distance, then lowers them and gingerly slips them back into the case on his belt.

“It look like just twelve men, but there be more on the other side. Twenty, maybe?”

“We’ll have to keep our eyes open in case they reinforce.”

“Either way, we’re lookin’ at twenty guys, max. Should be a walk in the park compared to the mine.”

“Aw, come on, man! Don’t tempt fate like that!”

“Sorry, Ice. It’s just what I do.”

Keeping low in the tall grass, Jesse and his team slip towards the fenced-in factory grounds – and the A.C.A. building just north of it – under the cover of the trees and tall grasses.

Unseen, they creep closer to the fence, where Jesse spots a ready-made hole in the fenceline.

“There. It’s perfect. We slip right in behind that storehouse and take ‘em by surprise.”

“You know, if I can set up between those two containers, I’ll have a real sexy field of fire on the grounds.”

“Do it.”

As Ice crawls along the ground towards his chosen position, Jesse checks around the corner of the building and spots a blackshirt crossing the yard. With Ice ready to go, Jesse kicks off the action, popping four rounds into his chosen target. Ice follows up with a burst of his own, dropping a blackshirt at the door to the factory office.

Alert to the possibility of a flanking maneuver by enemy reinforcements, Blood and Hamous cover the hole in the fence through which the team entered, while Ira keeps her SVD to the south. Jesse ducks around the corner and stops short as he sees a greenshirt crouched just a few meters away. His M16 is instantly at his shoulder, and two headshots later, the enemy falls.

“Be ready, everyone… If there are reinforcements on the way, they’re probably here by now!”

No sooner has Ira finished speaking than Blood spots a blackshirt charging towards the hole in the fence from the northwest. As she approaches, Blood opens fire, bringing her down with two shots.

Jesse, meanwhile, catches sight of a blackshirt emerging from the factory office, and takes her out. Unfortunately, with the tunnel vision effect imposed by his battle scope, Jesse does not see the additional blackshirt in the yard until the Arulcan soldier’s bullet grazes his leg.

“Ow! Son of a—…”

Back at the hole in the fence, Blood and Hamous do their best to hold off the rapidly increasing number of enemies pressuring from the north. He drops one with a shot from his AK, then, as the group clusters up, he tosses a grenade into their midst. The effect is less than impressive.

“Shoulda used the launcher…”

With no apparent threats from the south, Ira turns her weapon to where it’s imminently needed and drops one of the blackshirts.

In the main yard, Jesse dives out of the sights of the soldier who shot him and takes advantage of the cover provided by the huge metal container. The enemy soldier rises and begins to move into a new position, but in doing so he wanders directly into Ice’s line of fire. It’s the last mistake he’ll ever make.

But as the sound of Ice’s M60 fades, it’s cut out by a shout of pain from the north… Blood has been hit, and hit bad.

Jesse backs up and turns his weapon north, firing on and killing the soldier who shot Blood. Ira does the same, adjusting position to get a shot and taking out the enemy.

Alerted by the crunch of boots on gravel, Jesse turns at just the right moment and finds a camouflaged enemy elite at the corner of the storehouse, and three-round-bursts him into the ground.

Taking advantage of the momentary lull, Ira quickly dashes forward to check Blood’s wounds and control the bleeding.

“That’s all I can do for now, Blood. Jesse, lemme take a look.”

Covered by Jesse, Ira slides forward along the side of the container and catches a greenshirt against the factory’s east wall. As Jesse moves up in support, he spots – and drops – a blackshirt moving towards them across the yard.

Pressing the attack, Ira moves up towards the cover of the forklift, but neglects to check the north before leaving the cover of the storehouse. She pays for the mistake with a grazing wound. Stunned from the hit, she is in no position to return fire, so Jesse sprints up and delivers a lethal three-round burst.

Wary of any more enemies to the north, Blood and Hamous advance to the edge of the warehouse to keep a lookout, leaving the clearing of the rest of the factory to the three less-injured members of the team.

Taking a moment to bandage herself, Ira then swings around the forklift and takes a shot at a greenshirt that she spies by the guard tower in the southwest corner of the factory. The enemy is injured but not killed, and takes cover.

As Jesse and Blood advance through the containers, Ira continues squeezing off shots as targets present themselves, and a moment later Jesse adds his own fire. Between the two of them, they manage to clear that corner of the facility.

Creeping up through the dumpsters, Jesse sees a greenshirt taking refuge behind a desk in the office and takes him out. Ice and Ira, meanwhile, crack open the factory doors and slip inside. It makes for a few tense moments as they check behind the hulking heavy machinery for enemies, but they find none, and the factory itself is clear.

The three of them then begin moving north towards the A.C.A. building, and Ice spots a soldier lurking behind one of the windows.

“Contact..."

He quickly goes prone, sets his bipod, and rips off a burst.

“Contact down."

The trio cautiously works its way through the A.C.A. building, kicking down doors as needed.

“Clear!”

Finally, they discover the last enemy soldier hiding in the bar, and Jesse finishes him off.

Nothing all that special here. There’s a 12.7mm anti-material rifle with incredible range and damage in that KSVK, but the weapon’s ridiculous weight makes it not so practical. The team sets aside the RPG and explosives, as well as stuff like the steel tube, glue, and spring, but that’s about it.

--------------------------------------------------

Central Grumm, Arulco
July 16, 2011 -- 1321 EST

Grumm’s port secured behind them, Fiona and her team arrive at the edge of a large fenced-in compound surrounded by houses.

“Dis is one of de factories where de Queen makes her weapons. Bombs and explosives, mostly.”

“It vill be a great victory if we can deprive ze Army of such a resource.”

“Then let’s get ‘em!”

Taking advantage of the cover provided by the houses, Fiona and the team work their way closer to the fenceline. Just like Jesse’s team to the south, they find that the fence already conveniently breached for them.

“It looks like it’s been unrepaired for ages. They’ve even got a path worn down!”

“De Queen’s army has no discipline. No pride in dere work. Dis is why dey are easy to kill.”

Gumpy and Dimitri set up to watch the south and southwest, while Fiona, Igor, and Grunty train their weapons on the north and center of the compound. With everyone in position, Fiona starts things off with a bang, sniping the guards on the northeast and southeast watchtowers with ease.

With the sound of the shots alerting the enemies, the factory’s garrison churns out to meet their attackers.

“You see? If dey have de discipline, dey stay in good defense position and make us come to dem.”

To punctuate his point, he opens up with his MG42, cutting down the two soldiers in his sights. Meanwhile, Dimitri and Grunty advance along the flanks of one of the houses to better cover the angles, and Grunty gets a shot – and a kill – almost immediately.

Fiona glides her scope across the yard, spotting and dropping a blackshirt at the corner of one of the storage buildings. Igor keeps up his own fire, dropping two more blackshirts as they rush towards the hole in the fence. Deep inside the compound, a greenshirt, pokes his head out around one of the metal containers, and gets it taken off by a round from Fiona’s rifle.

With no more enemies in sight, the squad leaves their positions and advances into the compound through the hole in the fence. Alarmingly, however, Fiona catches sight of a blackshirt on the road outside the fence, and she fires off a shot that critically wounds him. The soldier staggers out of sight, however, depriving Fiona of the chance to finish off the threat.

Igor, meanwhile, clambers up onto the roof of one of the factory buildings. With the immediate roof clear, he turns to see if he can get a shot at the loose blackshirt. He does, though with the amount of blood that the soldier was trailing, he wouldn’t have lasted long anyways. A few moments later, Fiona joins Igor on the roof, and the two of them begin working their way forwards to provide cover fire over the entire yard.

Reaching the edge of the roof, Igor spots guards by the facility gate and in the neighboring watchtower. He immediately takes one of them out with a burst of autofire. Fiona, taking up position next to him, catches sight of a greenshirt trying to climb up to the roof. A burst of hollow-points from her UMP9 is enough to take him down. As Igor blasts the watchtower guard clear off his platform, Fiona switches to her rifle and eliminates a pair of greenshirts emerging from the guardhouse.

As the gunfire fades, Igor hears the sound of movement below.

“Dere is someone in the factory building. Dimitri, can you take look?”

“Roger.”

“Gumpy, back him up. And check your targets – there may be civilians in there.”

Gumpy picks the lock to the factory’s side door, and he and Dimitri breach into the building. They take up positions and scan the interior. An enemy blackshirt swings around the corner with his weapon raised, Dimitri is perfectly positioned to take the shot and make the final kill of the battle.

With the enemies eliminated, the squad splits up to search the grounds for weapons and ordnance. In the guard house, Gumpy finds a pair of storage chests rigged with traps. Disappointingly, they contain only ammunition.

The locked storehouses prove much harder nuts to crack, defeating both Gumpy’s lockpicking and the strength of Dimitri, Grunty, and Igor.

The doors have nothing, however, on Fiona’s C4. Unfortunately, she has only a single detonator, and is only able to blow open one of the storehouses.

As one might expect from a munitions factory, the team is able to pull together a decent haul of things that go boom. 40mm grenades, mortar shells, and RPG rockets will be set aside for later, and Fiona also trades up her Steyr Scout for the M24 (longtime sniper system of the US Army), exchanging the Scout’s lighter weight and higher rate of fire for a significant increase in range and damage. The team also sets aside the M14 for later use, as it will make an excellent multipurpose rifle.

------------------------------------------

South Grumm, Arulco
July 16, 2011 -- 1308 EST

“Come in, Jesse… Do you copy?”

“Loud and clear, Fi. What’s up?”

“We’ve finished clearing our sector, and we’re getting ready to move out. How about you?”

“We may need a little more time here. We got a little shot-up taking this facility. What kind of shape is your team in?”

“Dimitri’s hurt, but everyone else is okay. How bad are you?”

“Everyone’s stable, but Blood and Hamous were hit bad. It’ll be some time before they’re ready for another fight. Ira and I each took a light hit, too.”

“Roger that, Jesse. Why don’t you bring your team to me. I’ll leave Dimitri with you and take Ice, and my team will clear the rest of the city. Their defenses should be pretty skeletal by now.”

“Oh, so you get to go killin’ all the bad guys, and I just sit around?”

“Shouldn’t’ve gotten shot, then, huh?”

“… fair point.”

“See you in a few. Oh, and Jesse… if you’ve stumbled across any detonators, bring them my way, will you?”

“I’ll see what I can do. Out.”

--------------------------------------------------

Central Grumm, Arulco
July 16, 2011 -- 1341 EST

Twenty minutes later, the two squads meet up in the yard of the munitions factory, the injured squad loaded up with some of the gear they had saved from their sector.

Jesse passes Fiona one of the detonators he brought with him, and she is able to blow open the other storehouse.

It contains mostly just grenades. The team also drops all of the various gun bits they’ve been holding on to (rods, spring, steel tubes, etc), just to get it all in one place.

As Dimitri and Ice temporarily switch their assignments, Ira sets up a makeshift medical center inside one of the factories to deal with the wounds sustained by her squad…

While Fiona’s slightly revised assault team prepares to finish driving the Queen’s Army from Grumm.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
So, what happened to the IR sights you found in the Munitions Factory?
Anyway, that's a pretty nice haul: I see you've found a few more anti-personnel fragmentation rounds for the RPG-7. :)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Speaking of setting up medical facilities, can you actually upgrade locations in that way (or with turrets or something) or are you limited to improvements in human capital only?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Can't wait to see these RPG/LAWs in action. Overkill is the best kind of kill.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Good stuff man!

Glazius posted:

Speaking of setting up medical facilities, can you actually upgrade locations in that way (or with turrets or something) or are you limited to improvements in human capital only?
Nah you can't do things like that, sadly. However someone made a feature which let's you place sandbags and barbed wire to fortify your sectors. That sure opens up room for even more objects. It should already be in the latest development code.

I still dream of MG emplacements, the sprites are there but nobody managed to code it thus far.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

radintorov posted:

So, what happened to the IR sights you found in the Munitions Factory?

Goddammit. I need to stop trying to rush through inventory and delete everything before my kid wakes up. I keep getting rid of useful things.

I also need to try and break the habit of conserving my heavy weapons. I have the unfortunate habit of hoarding RPGs and only using them on tanks, and then ending the game with, like, 30 rockets sitting criminally underexploded in various parts of Arulco.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

FiddlersThree posted:

Goddammit. I need to stop trying to rush through inventory and delete everything before my kid wakes up. I keep getting rid of useful things.

I also need to try and break the habit of conserving my heavy weapons. I have the unfortunate habit of hoarding RPGs and only using them on tanks, and then ending the game with, like, 30 rockets sitting criminally underexploded in various parts of Arulco.

I have the same tendency, saving heavy weapons for a rainy day in every game except DooM, Unreal, and Postal.

For the purposes of the LP, I suggest that you "tactically employ" your RPG rounds, LAW Rockets, mortar shells, Mini Rockets, and grenade launchers of every stripe, against anything that moves in a crowded city area. On my play through, I found it particularly "strategic" to launch rockets and mortars all up and down Meduna and Balime at any group of enemies larger than two. Good times. Also, surprisingly few player/friendly casualties.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

Good stuff man!

Nah you can't do things like that, sadly. However someone made a feature which let's you place sandbags and barbed wire to fortify your sectors. That sure opens up room for even more objects. It should already be in the latest development code.

I still dream of MG emplacements, the sprites are there but nobody managed to code it thus far.

I always wished the game had dynamic fortifications, weapon emplacements (honestly, I'm surprised mortars were in the vanilla game) multi-story buildings, and tanks/vehicles that moved in sector. Can't win them all, I guess. I mean, this is still in my top 5 games of all time.

Actually, come to think of it, has anybody in the thread played the remake they released recently? Other than re-mapping sectors and doing away with the grid based movement, did they make any other changes or improvements? I've yet to actually look into it, since this thread and all.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 6, 2012

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The "remake" is real-time-with-pause and from what I saw in the demo I didn't like it. One of the few times that a demo has convinced me not to buy a game I was planning to get.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

pun pundit posted:

The "remake" is real-time-with-pause and from what I saw in the demo I didn't like it. One of the few times that a demo has convinced me not to buy a game I was planning to get.

Also, no Fog of War, so you know exactly where every enemy soldier is and what they're doing at all times. It also didn't seem like there was much variety in weapons or attachments (compared to JA2 1.13, at least). Initially, I was OK with the "real-time with pause" option, and that's not what breaks it for me. It's mostly the lack of fog of war and a few other things that made it seem way more dumbed down than the original. Mission design also seems to go along the lines of "well individual enemies aren't really a threat any more so let's outnumber the player by way more."

Now, I haven't played much of the remake, so if someone has and has different thoughts, I'd be glad to hear them. But I only played a handful of missions on release day and then immediately regretted my purchase and uninstalled the game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

tanks/vehicles that moved in sector.

Don't think that really is a spoiler but just to be sure.
The mod "Night Ops" has moving Humvee's accompanying regular soldier groups. It's a bit hamfisted as they just packed the soldier AI into a jeep sprite. Sometimes they will move in slightly odd ways, for a vehicle.
But still those things come with mounted Mg's or grenade launchers and can only be killed with heavy weapons or the Barrett 50cal. Those can gently caress you up real good.
Also the mod "Fight for Freedom" has moving and firing tanks. It is still in development though. I am curently playing a test build, but I don't think it is included in my build yet. Evidence

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Actually, come to think of it, has anybody in the thread played the remake they released recently?
I sure didn't. What I saw, and read really put me off. It all reeks of a cash-in, aimed at casuals. Not to get nerdy about games, but their decision to have no FOW, is clearly aimed at a different crowd. I don't see any fun in a game like that.
Also, only one attachment slot per merc. Yep, no scope and silencer, just one or the other.
If you're interested, there are some pretty fair reviews on the Pit. It even has it's own subforum.
Look here

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

Don't think that really is a spoiler but just to be sure.
The mod "Night Ops" has moving Humvee's accompanying regular soldier groups. It's a bit hamfisted as they just packed the soldier AI into a jeep sprite. Sometimes they will move in slightly odd ways, for a vehicle.
But still those things come with mounted Mg's or grenade launchers and can only be killed with heavy weapons or the Barrett 50cal. Those can gently caress you up real good.
Also the mod "Fight for Freedom" has moving and firing tanks. It is still in development though. I am curently playing a test build, but I don't think it is included in my build yet. Evidence

I sure didn't. What I saw, and read really put me off. It all reeks of a cash-in, aimed at casuals. Not to get nerdy about games, but their decision to have no FOW, is clearly aimed at a different crowd. I don't see any fun in a game like that.
Also, only one attachment slot per merc. Yep, no scope and silencer, just one or the other.
If you're interested, there are some pretty fair reviews on the Pit. It even has it's own subforum.
Look here

Spoiler is just to be on the safe side. And I think there was precedent for that? Maybe I'm just a big idiot.

Anyway, HOLY HELL, AWESOME! I really need to check the pit more often.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

:stare::fh:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I've played the remake an awful lot, and it's not bad at all. The release version was a bit wonky, but with the latest patches we now have things like fog of war and sector inventory. I rather suspect they intended to put these things in from the start but just didn't have time to code them before release.

The other major difference that comes to mind (beyond the whole Real Time thing - I kind of like that; it makes battles much chaotic) is that merc contracts are permanent.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Evil Thing posted:

I rather suspect they intended to put these things in from the start but just didn't have time to code them before release.

Frankly I challenge that.
I'm with you on the sector inventory. But the FOW thing came around after people bitched about it a whole lot. Thing is, they always were clear about no FOW because they needed that to get the best out of their P&G system. You can't really plan that awesome and flashy action if you don't know where enemies are. With FOW a part of their sales pitch would have broken away. So they tacked the option on for laters.

I have to say, that the game probably is some fun. Maybe not for the full price but if you can get it cheap, why not? But I also say that it would have fared much better, without the JA name. It's really just to cash-in and nothing else. The backside of the medal is that they raised a lot of expectation with the name, but utterly failed to deliver on those. You can not say otherwise, you just can't.

Personnaly, I am still really put off by only getting one loving attachment and the stories about axe wielders rushing and killing your fully armed team. Also I kind of dislike the company for certain actions they took during the development&promo phase. Most importantly how they presented those hideous merc faces, and when literally everyone said they were poo poo, they promised to change them. They didn't. I really wanted to give this game a fair chance, after my rage phase. But I found nothing in there that appeals to me. Everything just seems so streamlined, casual and soulles.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I don't think you really need to be able to see all enemy locations for a RTwP system to work. 7.62 does fine without it. It makes actual fights with an unknown enemy number hideously dangerous, and makes well positioned units with optics not merely viable but necessary at times. While I won't comment on the 'casual' thing, I do agree the appears utterly soulless.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Glazius posted:

Nope, but existing facilities can be used - that munitions factory, for example, will provide a huge bonus to repairs carried out in the sector, treating your wounded soldiers in an actual hospital will heal them much faster, and if you want to train your soldiers' marksmanship, find a shooting range.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
No update yet, unfortunately. I've played through the next section, but I haven't had a chance to process the images yet (or type up the update) due to late nights at work and a minor technical issue that I'll need to work around. Not a big deal or anything that will affect the LP from here on out, but it'll take a little extra time to get this update out.

Rough estimate would have the update hitting sometime this weekend. Sorry for the delay!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Say, I just thought of something: Did you ever get the Kulbas out of Arulco?

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Say, I just thought of something: Did you ever get the Kulbas out of Arulco?

Heh -- that's actually on my to-do list. After clearing the western SAM site, the team never got back to Chitzena. I'll probably have the Michael/Sam team reconnect with the Kulbas after they wrap up San Mona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Well I am strongly considering picking this up from GOG sometime. I'd just need to download it, install the 1.13 patch and I'll have everything I'll need; correct?

• Locked thread