Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jorghnassen posted:

It was read out loud for the audience who can't read Chinese. It's a classic TV trick. In foreign dubs of cartoons they will sometimes literally have a character read out loud signs and posters that the audience in the original language could read on their own when the animation cannot be altered.
I know that's why they did it, it's just that usually in Avatar/Korra when the Chinese text needs to be read out loud because it's important to know what it says, there's more than one character in the room.

It stood out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

the sister's not just loving saying what the problem is. Feels like padding for time.
No, I think Lin's just insanely jealous of her sister's perfect little family life and resenting the hell out of her for it. She can still do that while being long over Tenzin. Not like Toph was a model of understanding and restraint.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
OK, I'll be the crazy conspiracy theorist. Suyin's skin tone is darker than Lin's, thus her dad must be from the water tribe, thus it must be Sokka! :tinfoil: Or it's just some random darker skinned guy from one of the 3 surviving nations.

Jorghnassen fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 12, 2014

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'm pretty sure Opal is Lin's daughter. Her mother can't talk about it openly because it would wound Opal deeply, and Lin doesn't feel like she could possibly be mother material after abandoning her kid for so long.

I may also be crazy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
People might look at Lin's actions and say she's being "unrealistically irrational" here. But feuds between family members, even siblings, that last for years for what someone else might consider to be petty reasons just... happen sometimes.

Squidster posted:

I'm pretty sure Opal is Lin's daughter. Her mother can't talk about it openly because it would wound Opal deeply, and Lin doesn't feel like she could possibly be mother material after abandoning her kid for so long.

I may also be crazy.
This is... a reasonable theory?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Squidster posted:

I may also be crazy.

That is actually a surprisingly plausible theory.

To crazy that poo poo up some, what if Lin didn't so much choose to give Opal up as Suyin took her in while Lin was otherwise indisposed?

Doesn't quite line up with them not having spoken for 30 years, though. Actually them having not spoken in 30 years puts a big hole in the "Lin is Opal's mom" theory in general.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I know that's why they did it, it's just that usually in Avatar/Korra when the Chinese text needs to be read out loud because it's important to know what it says, there's more than one character in the room.

It stood out to me.

it's cause he's gonna learn the trick that jinora can do to locate korra

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Lessail posted:

You should have spoiler tagged that you magnificent bastardo.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Those better not be actual spoilers.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

To crazy that poo poo up some, what if Lin didn't so much choose to give Opal up as Suyin took her in while Lin was otherwise indisposed?

Doesn't quite line up with them not having spoken for 30 years, though. Actually them having not spoken in 30 years puts a big hole in the "Lin is Opal's mom" theory in general.
Also it was all but outright said that the reason Tenzin and Lin broke up was because Lin didn't want to have children.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

The baby exchange could have been negotiated through Suyin's husband, or they could be straight up lying.

If I was writing terrible fanfiction, I would make Opal into Lin and Tenzin's forbidden lovechild, but I have more faith in the writers than that. ( That way, she could have been straight up born an Airbender, but sworn to hide it until harmonic convergence gave her the perfect excuse! )

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Also it was all but outright said that the reason Tenzin and Lin broke up was because Lin didn't want to have children.
Right, because Lin almost died in childbirth with Opal. BAM plot solved.

Lessail posted:

This seemed like straightforward foreshadowing. Once he finds out Jinorra can astral project, he'll use it to hunt the Avatar anywhere.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 12, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Why the hell are people pushing this? Can't an aunt keep her well meaning niece at a distance because of long lingering family issues? The daughter of a bastard still counts as a bastard on all the land deeds.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Sithsaber posted:

Why the hell are people pushing this? Can't an aunt keep her well meaning niece at a distance because of long lingering family issues? The daughter of a bastard still counts as a bastard on all the land deeds.
poo poo, you're right, Opal is definitely Amon.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about land deeds, though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sithsaber posted:

The speculation over poo poo in TVIV gets into really, really strange territory. Just check the Archer thread; for some reason people are obsessed with the idea that Woodhouse is Archer's father despite literally no evidence at all and a massive amount of contradictory information.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else think we're gonna get a badass 80 year old Toph in the finale, since they established "she went off to have an adventure and no one knows where she is now!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toph is otherwise the only major character not to show and her family is being given a big push this season. The odds of her showing up are tremendous.

I get the feeling we're going to build up a small stable of Characters Of the Week like Kai and Opal who will show up again during what will probably be a major assault on the Northern Air Temple by the villains.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 12, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This show has the most inappropriate commercials.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

I don't know any spoilers but the show stops a step from outright saying it so whatev

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Anyone else think we're gonna get a badass 80 year old Toph in the finale, since they established "she went off to have an adventure and no one knows where she is now!"

She set off for the Grand Line in search of Gol D. Roger's treasure and became the Pirate King!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Was I the only one hoping with that metal bending game that Bolin would've shown interest in learning some of metal bending?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrSunshine posted:

She set off for the Grand Line in search of Gol D. Roger's treasure and became the Pirate King!

Oh, so this is the void century we're seeing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

them stating that Toph is still alive made me feel really :smith: for Aang. He's been dead for almost 17 years and pretty much all of his friends are still kicking around, that's gotta suck just sitting there in the afterlife and seeing all of your friends do other stuff.

Incidentally, so Zaheer is going to the Northern Air Temple to find Korra? Or is he gonna go back to the hiding place and tell them they have to go on a hunt? Considering these guys who have been in prison for 16 loving years can easily beat loving Firelord Zuko I'm sure they will have no problem just rolling into all of the major cities in the world looking for her.

I'm sorry that sounds kind of bitter but watching all of these characters that have been labelled as "the best benders of their generation" being punked by what should be emaciated prisoners that have not been able to exercise their powers for years just feels really stupid and poorly thought out.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

For once, I agree with this dude.

Also, the metal city was gorgeous. I think this was arguably the most beautiful episode yet.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
"poorly thought out" was Tonraq going after Zaheer instead of Zuko.

There is literally one person alive on the planet with any kind of experience in hunting and fighting airbenders, so you have that guy fight an earthbender and have the guy who has never sparred an airbender go after the airbender.

Good call there ace.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Came up with a hypothesis here:

1. Suppose during the Genocide 170 years ago, a number of Air Nomads escaped to the Earth Kingdom and disguised themselves as Earth Kingdom citizens (growing their hair out and wearing hats, gloves, and headbands).
2. Those Air Nomads had kids with Earth Kingdom citizens, and over time their descendants mostly forget their Air Nomad heritage. They never manifested Airbending abilities because this broken cultural link meant they lacked the spiritual power to become Airbenders (the reason all Air Nomads were Airbenders is because they were deeply spiritual as a culture, remember).
3. Harmonic Convergence reawakened the latent spiritual energy that resided in the descendants of Air Nomads. The whole "Airbenders reappearing" thing isn't random. It's their original heritage reawakening.
4. Zaheer, unlike most, knew about his original bloodline, which is why he studies Air Nomad scripture, philosophy, and even their fighting style. Even though he couldn't shoot bursts of wind 13 years ago, he trained heavily in the forms. Acrobatics, avoidance, and evasion can still be powerful skills in hand-to-hand combat, which is how he originally held his own in their gang of four. It also explains why he seemed to expect the renewal of his abilities.
5. Once people realize that all the new Airbenders reappearing were descended from Air Nomads, they'll all want to go back to the Air Temples to "reconnect with their roots." This also may be a legal precedent to bar the Earth Queen from claiming them as her citizens, freeing them from her clutches.
6. The fact that there don't seem to be any Airbenders popping up in the Water Tribes may be because the poles weren't as accessible or easy for the Air Nomads to hide in.

Thoughts?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aces High posted:

I'm sorry that sounds kind of bitter but watching all of these characters that have been labelled as "the best benders of their generation" being punked by what should be emaciated prisoners that have not been able to exercise their powers for years just feels really stupid and poorly thought out.

None of the people beaten so far have been the best bender of their generation. Zuko specifically was less talented than his father and sister but more stable. The most impressive thing he did was the Last Agni-Kai and even that was largely builds on Azula going loving nuts. Zuko was always the least talented member of his family when it came to bending and probably the least talented of the bend-capable Gaang members. (And seemingly Sokka was crazy-super talented at swordplay, it just never really was important.) Hell, as Fire Lord Zuko said himself, he hired someone like these guys to take out Aang and friends before.

Tarlock and the Twins are both talented but we're not told they are super god-tier talented like Toph or Katara.

As far as 'they should be emaciated prisoners," we saw at least one of them exercising regularly and this is not a show which is strongly based around realistic physical states. It is a show where a ten year old pacifist used magic powers to put himself in cryo-stasis, awoke without trouble and was able to masterfully kung-fu fight trained soldiers.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 12, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ImpAtom posted:

None of the people beaten so far have been the best bender of their generation. Zuko specifically was less talented than his father and sister but more stable. The most impressive thing he did was the Last Agni-Kai and even that was largely build on Azula going loving nuts.

Tarlock and the Twins are both talented but we're not told they are super god-tier talented like Toph or Katara.

The main thing going for Zuko is that he's now an old man in a martial art setting, which means by default he has to be pretty badass and in turn means beating him is impressive.

I'm willing to ignore the villain squad coming out of prison in fighting shape if it means we don't have to justify a time skip or spend four seasons letting them beef back out to credible threats.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

ImpAtom posted:

I get the feeling we're going to build up a small stable of Characters Of the Week like Kai and Opal who will show up again during what will probably be a major assault on the Northern Air Temple by the villains.
I can understand defeating Kaya, who had no competent support, but there's no way Zaheer can beat Tenzin at his own game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jackard posted:

I can understand defeating Kaya, who had no competent support, but there's no way Zaheer can beat Tenzin at his own game.

Zaheer probably can't beat Tenzin in straight-up airbending but Zaheer was considered a high-class danger who needed to be locked in an ocean prison before he was a Bender.

I mean, maybe he was the Sokka of the team and mostly there for boomerangs and planning, but even that would be pretty drat deadly when mixed with a high-level talent for Airbending.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ImpAtom posted:

Zaheer probably can't beat Tenzin in straight-up airbending but Zaheer was considered a high-class danger who needed to be locked in an ocean prison before he was a Bender.

I mean, maybe he was the Sokka of the team and mostly there for boomerangs and planning, but even that would be pretty drat deadly when mixed with a high-level talent for Airbending.

It looked a lot like he was a pretty drat capable hand-to-hand fighter, even when dealing with benders, when he broke out. He started off only really using Airbending to augment his normal attacks, and while he's grown to using it a lot more often now it still seems to be a very straightforward and aggressive (especially compared to Air Nomad-style) evolution from a non-bending martial art.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
We all know Toph went off to lord over her melons.

Muhahahahahahahaha!

Caros
May 14, 2008

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

The main thing going for Zuko is that he's now an old man in a martial art setting, which means by default he has to be pretty badass and in turn means beating him is impressive.

I'm willing to ignore the villain squad coming out of prison in fighting shape if it means we don't have to justify a time skip or spend four seasons letting them beef back out to credible threats.

I have to say, I was sad Zuko got punked like he did. I was really looking forward to watching Zuko smack the poo poo out of some people in an Iroh like fashion only to be brought down by trick or by numbers.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
It was disappointing we didn't see him do that well, but Zuko is literally almost 90 years old now. If anything, you'd think he would have his own bodyguards though.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Aces High posted:

them stating that Toph is still alive made me feel really :smith: for Aang. He's been dead for almost 17 years and pretty much all of his friends are still kicking around, that's gotta suck just sitting there in the afterlife and seeing all of your friends do other stuff.

Except Sokka. So far there has been no reference or indication that Sokka is still alive.

I'm also glad we got confirmation that the gang hunting Korra did not actually take out Aang.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vintimus Prime posted:

Except Sokka. So far there has been no reference or indication that Sokka is still alive.

Katara specifically said he passed away. She mentioned it in the first episode. He died sometime after they locked up Zaheer's gang (since he was part of the group that took them down the first time) so it within Korra's lifetime but he died.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Caros posted:

I have to say, I was sad Zuko got punked like he did. I was really looking forward to watching Zuko smack the poo poo out of some people in an Iroh like fashion only to be brought down by trick or by numbers.

I get the feeling he'll have a better showing later on. It seemed a little weird that he didn't suspect that snow storm either, but I guess he's going senile.

I'd say he could end up dying to really show how badass the villains are, but I can't think of any reason (almost) anybody in-universe would give a poo poo so it'd literally only be done to get a reaction out of fans. Which would be stupid and very bad writing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

no I understand that these benders aren't amazing but it's not like there isn't precedent, in fact Kya was doing well on her own and the only support she had was bunch of White Lotus nobodies and I understand that we have to establish that these 4 are a force to reckoned with. Although I do agree that not sending Zuko after the new airbender did seem silly considering he spent a fair amount of time either fighting against Aang or specifically training WITH him. That is a whole lot more training against airbenders than any of the others involved.

At any rate I am looking forward to Tenzin actually being combat useful since the last we saw him fighting he got easily taken out by a taser. Man remember when we would all complain about how OP those things were? Good times

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Literally the first thing Tarlock says to Zaheer is that he's beaten him before. He might have new powers but Tarlock is the one guy we can 100% confirm has stopped him before. He is not actually a worse choice that Zuko since Zaheer is a novice airbender.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Literally the first thing Tarlock says to Zaheer is that he's beaten him before. He might have new powers but Tarlock is the one guy we can 100% confirm has stopped him before. He is not actually a worse choice that Zuko since Zaheer is a novice airbender.

Uhhhhh his name is Tonraq. Tarrlock is the Northern Water Tribe councilor for Republic City from season 1. You might know him from being a super-bloodbender and also blowing himself up.

Also :drat: Zaofu is some space-age poo poo. I'm going to feel really bad when the Fearsome Four start wrecking it.

Four Score fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 12, 2014

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I am not really surprised that a metalbender city in the Korra era is basically peak art deco. At the same time, I'm not complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

First Bass posted:

Uhhhhh his name is Tonraq. Tarrlock is the Northern Water Tribe councilor for Republic City from season 1. You might know him from being a super-bloodbender and also blowing himself up.

Also :drat: Zaofu is some space-age poo poo. I'm going to feel really bad when the Fearsome Four start wrecking it.

Korra's dumb dad, is that better?

I'm sort of annoyed he's going to be a major reoccurring character but maybe they'll salvage him into something not stupid or boring.

• Locked thread