Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Vintersorg posted:

Yah, it should have been masked as Cinnamon Bakery #123.

I much prefer real life things making their way into stuff - gives it a air of realism.

Also this show kicks rear end.

I think he was kidding.

I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised at how many people didn't trust Vince Gilligan to make an amazing show.
People had every right to be cautious:

Aaron Sorkin after West Wing
Ronald D. Moore after Battlestar Galactica
Joss Whedon after Buffy

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Josh Lyman posted:

People had every right to be cautious:

Aaron Sorkin after West Wing
Ronald D. Moore after Battlestar Galactica
Joss Whedon after Buffy

I don't understand?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deakul posted:

I don't understand?

Firefly: dead after 13 episodes (FOX's fuckery notwithstanding)
Doll House: half a train wreck given an extra season because "gently caress it, give it a second season to placate the fans"

Firefly had a great premise, but never found its footing because FOX marketing in the weirdest ways and jumped it around in the schedule, and Dollhouse was a good idea that went off the rails quickly and only got a second season because the execs knew canceling a Whedon show in the first season would result in people sending thousands of letters/popcorn to their offices and didn't want to deal with it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That desert negotiation stands with the great Breaking Bad scenes. Not the best Breaking Bad scenes, but the great ones, definitely.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

pentyne posted:

Doll House: half a train wreck given an extra season because "gently caress it, give it a second season to placate the fans"

Firefly had a great premise, but never found its footing because FOX marketing in the weirdest ways and jumped it around in the schedule, and Dollhouse was a good idea that went off the rails quickly and only got a second season because the execs knew canceling a Whedon show in the first season would result in people sending thousands of letters/popcorn to their offices and didn't want to deal with it.

Firefly was still really good for what we got, especially Serenity.
Angel was amazing.
Dollhouse was actually really great in season 2, it was pretty crap in season 1 though, sure.
And then you have his movies that have all been really good, save for Aliens Resurrection.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Deakul posted:

Firefly was still really good for what we got, especially Serenity.
Angel was amazing.
Dollhouse was actually really great in season 2, it was pretty crap in season 1 though, sure.
And then you have his movies that have all been really good, save for Aliens Resurrection.

Well honestly the worst thing about him is how he goes on and on about feminism when every one of his female leads are hollow copies of the one before.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

less talk about lovely show leads like that fuckhead sorkin and more talk about how Vaas from Farcry 3 is totally an awesome villain character actor and this show is awesome

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Please no more Joss Whedon talk.

This show owns and actually has passion for good storytelling.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I am totally floored on every level by this show.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

So Michael Mando's character "Nacho" = Ignatio, right?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Supercar Gautier posted:

So Michael Mando's character "Nacho" = Ignatio, right?

that's shorthand for Ignacio/Ignatio, yes. I don't know why it wouldn't be.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm just surprised I haven't seen anyone bring it up anywhere, since that's who Saul's screaming about in BB 2x08 when Walt and Jesse drag him out to the ditch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Watching Saul walking away free and clear from death in the desert.... then stopping, turning around and going back to negotiate for the lives of the two "knuckleheads" who basically dropped him into this whole mess in the first place (not that he wasn't complicit!) was just an incredible moment.

It really does seem like Saul (sorry, Jimmy) is trying so hard to scratch by legitimately and we know it is doomed, which makes his insistence at the end that he's not in the game have all the more impact. This show is incredible already.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

iSheep posted:

Please no more Joss Whedon talk.

This show owns and actually has passion for good storytelling.

Ur gay :downsgun:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I like that they picked a drink for Saul named Rusty Nail.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I have been "friends" with the beardo in jail in that montage for almost 10 years. My brother and I lost our poo poo when we saw him because neither of us is really a fan of him at all.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Listen friend I just didn't want people getting tricked into having a debate with Joss Whedon Fan #1 is all.

I also had a brain fart and meant to finish my post with: Compared to another popular TV series also currently on AMC.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

That show owned and that country music commercial for the show owned even harder.

Definitely a lot lighter than Breaking Bad but it's about exactly what I expected. Great start!

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
drat, Michelle MacLaren is so good at directing. I don't usually pay attention to TV directors but she is truly at the top of her game and makes you notice the excellent directing work in her episodes. The desert scene and the public defender montage in particular are just absolute A+ work.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She's one of my favorite directors. Every episode she's done is usually A+ on all fronts. I can't wait to see what she does with Wonder Woman.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I too was apprehensive about an entire show based on a comic relief character. Then I watched two dudes get their legs broken for ten minutes. Vince I'm sorry I ever doubted you, let's be friends again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think this show is making too many references to Breaking Bad, and somehow at the same time still being excellent in spite of that.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm just surprised I haven't seen anyone bring it up anywhere, since that's who Saul's screaming about in BB 2x08 when Walt and Jesse drag him out to the ditch.

I thought that was someone named "Lalo." Saul screams about being a friend to the cartel and "no Lalo!" I need to rewatch to verify, because I've been hoping we'll meet Lalo.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Saul's date was really unbelievably hot and she's 43. good for him. Good for her.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about getting resolution for that, we have at least 2-5 seasons of this show to catch up with the way Walt got introduced to Saul in the desert.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

spacing in vienna posted:

I thought that was someone named "Lalo." Saul screams about being a friend to the cartel and "no Lalo!" I need to rewatch to verify, because I've been hoping we'll meet Lalo.

Checking back, there is an Ignatio and a Lalo mentioned. "No no no no no, it wasn't me, it was Ignatio, he's the one!" is one of the first things out of Saul's mouth. Shortly after, he asks "Lalo didn't send you, no Lalo?". So that's one out of two introduced.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bbf2 posted:

drat, Michelle MacLaren is so good at directing. I don't usually pay attention to TV directors but she is truly at the top of her game and makes you notice the excellent directing work in her episodes. The desert scene and the public defender montage in particular are just absolute A+ work.

Michelle MacLaren knows how to capture Albuquerque's scenery better than anyone else.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I wonder how long they're going to have Saul put up with Chuck's EMF issue. He got really annoyed at him wearing the space blanket, something that would provide literally no protection from a pervasive EMF field, and it seems like Saul is definitely at the point in his life where he's literally on the edge of losing what defines his character and just snap at his brother.

Plus, the audience saw Chuck perfectly fine until the cell phone fell out of Saul's pocket, reaffirming the whole "it's all in his head" thing. I get the feeling that the EMF hypersensitivity community is going to lose their minds at this "negative" portrayal of their condition.

The rapid fire scenes at the end where he's constantly in the courtroom and genuinely trying his hardest to do his job are a glimpse into what Jimmy wants to be, but you can see it wearing him down and the cracks starting to show.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 10, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

pentyne posted:

EMF hypersensitivity community
Who cares, they aren't watching this show anyway

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Nacho is going to smoke the ricin cigarette!?!?!!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

JT Jag posted:

Who cares, they aren't watching this show anyway

It's like all the Amish jokes are new again

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I was really hoping the two pale dweebs would die.

Oh well.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

MariusLecter posted:

Oh well.

They've got their ways, man.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MariusLecter posted:

Oh well.

Well, they tried their best!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well this was a great episode, in particular for so early in the series.

I had a lot of fears and doubts about this ending up being either a rehash, or being too comedic and surface level, or Saul not carrying a show.. and they're all entirely scrubbed now. Hoping this runs for a real long time.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

The reason Dollhouse sucked is because the lead star was also the whole reason the show got made, and she has the acting capability of wet cardboard. Then add on the fact the actual plot, which was about the apocalypse, got buried in ten layers of stupid poo poo in the first season, too. It did some clever things after that, mostly with the supporting characters; I'm always happy to see them pop up in other shows. But Duschu or whatever is like nails-on-a-chalkboard whenever she's on screen so that kinda hurt. The girl they had playing Sierra would have been a far more interesting lead.

Seriously every time it focused on her character, it was loving horrible.

Wow this got off topic fast. Though I do get the overall point. People were scared he'd be later day John Carpenter, failing to live up to his own legacy.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Firefly had a great premise, but never found its footing because FOX marketing in the weirdest ways and jumped it around in the schedule

Firefly had the production values and acting quality of an infomercial.

The only character Nathan Fillion is capable of playing is "bad actor" and the premise was a bunch of space hillbillies are all butthurt that they lost the war and were forced into a civilization with horrible things like free healthcare.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 10, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theperminator posted:

Firefly had the production values and acting quality of an infomercial.

The only character Nathan Fillion is capable of playing is "bad actor" and the premise was a bunch of space hillbillies are all butthurt that they lost the war and were forced into a civilization with horrible things like free healthcare.

And there were virtually no signs of Chinese people despite the premise of "China and America both going to space".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was expecting something lighter, maybe something more episodic with client of the week. This was good, but I dont want it to be too much of a Breaking Bad 2.

• Locked thread