Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

How does one get to a point they just casually have/generate multiple k gold? Granted, I'm at like kingdom level 3 all around, but now I'm making maybe 1k per PvP match and doing multiple to grind up money to keep leveling kingdoms.

Any tricks I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

yurtcradled posted:

Please invite DIEPPETRUBBS

Welcome aboard kiddo.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Saxophone posted:

How does one get to a point they just casually have/generate multiple k gold? Granted, I'm at like kingdom level 3 all around, but now I'm making maybe 1k per PvP match and doing multiple to grind up money to keep leveling kingdoms.

Any tricks I'm missing?

Pvp is the only always-grindable way. Use the +100 percent gem armor.

Tribute gets big when you have level 10 and 5+ stars everywhere.

Delve chests can give good gold once you've invested in the quality levels, but it's very random.

just_a_person
Mar 13, 2019

HatJudge posted:

What does this mean? Will everyone get the troop at some point? Or is it available for all of us in the chests?

Yeah, as others mentioned, I'm in a non-goon guild. I started before I knew about the goon guild and joined some random guild that was advertising in chat with no requirements 2 months ago. I recently moved into their higher tier guild (roughly about 150 rank) a week ago and it made such a huge difference. They complete all the tasks within the first day, and hit several legendary tasks (1 million gold per task) every week, and always hit 40k seals near the end of the week. The LTs always drop the same stuff for everyone in the guild (keys, traitstones, and very rarely legendary/mythic troops). I got super lucky this week and on my donation pulled mythic after my donation and everyone in the guild got Champion of Anu.

It's pretty fun in an active guild since we also finish all events and guild wars (the most fun event) is always super close. The requirements in terms of gold and stuff are very low, as the key in most guilds (from what I saw) was being active in events/guild wars. While I don't have much troops, as long as I have Mang, I can complete almost all invasion/raid events, and guild wars, you just need to have some decent legendaries.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

How is guild wars the most fun event when it's just reskinned pvp with no rewards?

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Agent355 posted:

How is guild wars the most fun event when it's just reskinned pvp with no rewards?

Guild wars has different constraints from regular pvp and different consequences for winning/losing. It requires you to make a set of -twelve- of your best teams, rather than playing with variations on the same 4 troops all week long. It is the most fair contest in the game, not subject to absurd play time or gem investment. It's scored not just on if you win, but how severe that win is.

Guild wars is the most varied event in a game with a lot of repetition. Most explore uses sunbird and firebomb, most pvp uses skeleton key, guild events often use Mang/Titan + event troop, bounty is hours of Tigraki Warrior, high level delves are usually Tesla or Mang or Irongut.

just_a_person
Mar 13, 2019

Enkor posted:

Guild wars has different constraints from regular pvp and different consequences for winning/losing. It requires you to make a set of -twelve- of your best teams, rather than playing with variations on the same 4 troops all week long. It is the most fair contest in the game, not subject to absurd play time or gem investment. It's scored not just on if you win, but how severe that win is.

Guild wars is the most varied event in a game with a lot of repetition. Most explore uses sunbird and firebomb, most pvp uses skeleton key, guild events often use Mang/Titan + event troop, bounty is hours of Tigraki Warrior, high level delves are usually Tesla or Mang or Irongut.

Yeah, agreed with Enkor. It's a lot of fun both offensively and defensively, and gives you a great sense of progression. Before every battle, you scout the team to see what meta team it is (Dragon Eye, Skeleton Key, etc...), see the make up, and try to come up with a counter that uses a single color against that team. I end up making teams with troops that don't get used too often just to counter one element on the team. At the higher guild ranks, every win and how you win counts, as the scores are so close. Also, it's fun to see how well your defense teams do, too. If your guild has good defensive teams, the head of the guild will only get "attacked" a few times through the entire event as they will only be fought if the player in the opposite guild makes it through 4 straight wins. Our guild leader told us last week, they only defended 24 times, with only 12 loses.

I picked up a bunch of legendaries and the 2 mythics between the previous and the upcoming guild wars so it'll be fun to test out new defense teams. I now have enough for a freeze team (Valkyrie, Queen Mab, Winter Orb, Mercy) and a Yao Gaoi team (Tai Pan, Yao Gaoi, Queen Titania, Ursa Crown) that has the potential to kill the other team in one turn.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

We reached the tier of Boss Raid that gets us in Gem Blossums a Chaos Orb. Get it while you can, and good luck on the rng. I got myself an Orb of Ascension. Okay I guess, maybe earlier this would help ascend the Raid troop to deal more damage.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 7, 2019

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Annointed posted:

We reached the tier of Boss Raid that gets us in Gem Blossums a Chaos Orb. Get it while you can, and good luck on the rng. I got myself an Orb of Ascension. Okay I guess, maybe earlier this would help ascend the Raid troop to deal more damage.

Early on, save your Ascensions to take your good Legendary troops to Mythic for your bread-and-butter Killing Dudes team. The difference to you from pushing a few levels higher in the one-week Raid event is pretty marginal. It will be months and months before you get a chance to re-use the Raid troop.

just_a_person
Mar 13, 2019

Devor posted:

Early on, save your Ascensions to take your good Legendary troops to Mythic for your bread-and-butter Killing Dudes team. The difference to you from pushing a few levels higher in the one-week Raid event is pretty marginal. It will be months and months before you get a chance to re-use the Raid troop.

Other really good option is to save 6 Orbs of Ascensions for the guardian troops that drop from guild chests. Guardians have 50% chance to drop from the guild chest, so even though the guild hits 40k seals, you can still get crap drops. However, once you have 4 mythics of each of the guardians, you cannot receive a guardian any more from guild chest. The problem is that the guardians drop unevenly (some might have 80 copies others might have 100) and you need like 150 copies to get it to mythic. However, if you get them to legendary naturally, and then use orbs of ascensions, it cuts down the time by a huge amount. I ascended all of them last week and so when I pulled 100 guild chest this week, I got the Queen of Sin mythic. I think that might be a better bang for your buck than a few stat points for the legendary troops in the long run. If you do this, make sure you have 6 orbs though because every guardian has to be mythic in order for all of them to stop dropping.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Any room in blossoms? Wouldn't mind a switch before the week rollover

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

hanyolo posted:

Any room in blossoms? Wouldn't mind a switch before the week rollover

Yeah we got plenty of space. Just post your friend code in the thread and someone will invite you in.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Annointed posted:

Yeah we got plenty of space. Just post your friend code in the thread and someone will invite you in.

Excellent! only just started last week so still getting the hang of everything :v:

JONESDOGE_G6DD

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

hanyolo posted:

Excellent! only just started last week so still getting the hang of everything :v:

JONESDOGE_G6DD

K you're in. Enjoy the loot.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Careful when buying the event troop in bulk.. It does not consider that you receive two troops in one package so I just bought twice as many as I needed.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

voodoo dog posted:

Careful when buying the event troop in bulk.. It does not consider that you receive two troops in one package so I just bought twice as many as I needed.

So about that...

https://community.gemsofwar.com/t/mervorax-immediate-changes-to-glory-pack-purchases/53814

quote:

Any players who purchased over 46 packs during this time will be compensated for the cost of the Glory spent.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

voodoo dog posted:

Same here, thought I was only able to afford legendary ascension.

Edit: Oh nice!

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I've only leveled up eight or so troops. Am I boned when it comes to setting defense teams I the guild wars? Or do I still have a chance to contribute with a bunch of low-levels?

Edit: when a troop has a trait that reduces skull damage by 25%, does that apply to that troop only? Or can it hang back and let my hero reap the benefits?

Runaway Legs fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 8, 2019

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Your defenses aren’t going to win anyway without late game troops leveled/traited, so you might as well earn the 12,000 points for your guild and put up unique defenses.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

HatJudge posted:

I've only leveled up eight or so troops. Am I boned when it comes to setting defense teams I the guild wars? Or do I still have a chance to contribute with a bunch of low-levels?

Don't worry, the vast majority of our defense teams suck rear end in Gem Blossums. The biggest thing you can do is set a defense team each day, with no troops used more than once between all the teams (You can use your hero with different weapons multiple times), and fight at least one attack battle each day. That one fight gives our guild credit for you having a defense team that day. Don't sweat worrying about the colors of the day or anything, and if attacking pits you against some monster of a team you'll never beat feel free to not bang your head against that wall, even just losing once and then quitting for the day gets us a lot of credit.

Oh, and if you can't play one or more days, you can go back and do those fights another day so long as you do it before Sunday ends. There's a small exp bonus for winning against the enemy guild day-by-day that this won't help with but that's not a big deal. You can use "Skip" to go to the next day's fights if you're currently up against some way-to-hard team and want to ignore it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

HatJudge posted:

Edit: when a troop has a trait that reduces skull damage by 25%, does that apply to that troop only? Or can it hang back and let my hero reap the benefits?

The skull damage armor is for that troop only. So for it to work, it has to be the first troop taking the skull damage hits. You can have it second, and after your first troop dies it'll start helping reduce the damage.

Generally speaking, skull armor only helps tank a little - maybe your guy takes 1 more skull match to die, so 4 instead of 3, or 3 instead of 2. Barrier tanking, like with Titan class, is the way to tank serious hits repeatedly.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I don’t agree completely with the above assessment of skull-damage-reducing traits. It’s spot on for the high-scaling modes, but not quite right for PVP, Explore, Challenges, and other modes that top out below level 50.

In these modes, any skull reduction below 50% is nice but nothing to rely on. Like Devor said, you get a small number of additional hits before the troop dies. At 50% and above, though, you can start leaving skulls to the AI and focusing on filling your troops. The damage you gain from a spell will outweigh the skull damage received by your tank. This is especially true for troops like Glaycion and Gorgotha, who can shrug off skull hits for ages.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What does the new Honor function actually do?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Ok, did something change this week?

I'm running Warlord Axe,Elwyn, Desert Mantis, Althea.

Last week I was winning 3/4 or so of all the middle selection pvp matches. I was winning half or so of the third option. Selecting the first one was pretty much a guaranteed win. I ground out 1900 tier rewards in like, a couple of hours.

Today I am getting CRUSHED. By everything. I have won maybe two rounds out of 20.

What in God's name changed because my team didn't, and I was cruising along easily last week. It's incredibly frustrating.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Saxophone posted:

What in God's name changed because my team didn't, and I was cruising along easily last week. It's incredibly frustrating.

I suspect that the game is picking harder opponents because your level / stats have gone up since last week.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, I don't know how the actual nitty gritty math works out but even beyond your weekly pvp ranking there seems to be some way that it tiers people together.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Saxophone posted:

Ok, did something change this week?

The RNG gives and the RNG taketh away...

Last week I was playing PVP with (all mythic)

Khrovash ***
Moloch ***
Tesla ***
Staff of Visions ***
Crypt Banner
Thief Class

And getting owned. This week, there have been more than 10 matches where I don't get past the second turn due to the epic cascading.

Switched up to a TINA team (Mountain Crusher, Tesla, TPK and TINA) and still was getting rolled over.

I switched to my win at all costs team of fully traited mythics..

Gorgotha
Infernus
Apothecary
Dawnbringer
Guardian Banner, and keeping Thief cause I want it leveled.

I'm running about 80% but still the ai is getting epic cascades.

It feels intentional, but I'm pretty sure it's just the RNG.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

It may well be RNG, but it just feels punishing to the point of discouraging me to bother with it when I can clear out quests still. I mean, I'll get dick all for gold, but ah well.

I don't mind losing at all. This was just getting crushed. Like, I'm destroying 6+ gems with Elwyn and it's not killing anything. Whenever the PC or whatever you call "you" is in the lead position their attack is like 32 and every time I Cascade, or leaves skulls open that they capitalize on and one-shot me with.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I spend 90% of my time hunting traitstones in adventure instead of pvp. I mostly use this as a game to play while watching tv/movies that I'm only partially interested in.

The pvp is just not all that exciting and I mostly just try to hit rank 1 each week for the rewards and then stop.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Saxophone posted:

It may well be RNG, but it just feels punishing to the point of discouraging me to bother with it when I can clear out quests still. I mean, I'll get dick all for gold, but ah well.

I don't mind losing at all. This was just getting crushed. Like, I'm destroying 6+ gems with Elwyn and it's not killing anything. Whenever the PC or whatever you call "you" is in the lead position their attack is like 32 and every time I Cascade, or leaves skulls open that they capitalize on and one-shot me with.

I've found myself losing a lot more matches in the last week. My guess is they're biasing opponents to active people so you're not seeing old-meta defenses that aren't good any more, and you get more of the new hotness Lunar Rabbit garbage.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Do i need all of my defense teams set by the start of the war or just the first one and i can do the rest later?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Parallelwoody posted:

Do i need all of my defense teams set by the start of the war or just the first one and i can do the rest later?

You can change up until that day. Once each day starts it locks that defense team.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I should probably get a mana drain team or a freeze team to put a stop to this Turn one infinite loop nonsense.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Whats the deal with all bomb pvp teams? They just trying to rack up losses quickly?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Parallelwoody posted:

Whats the deal with all bomb pvp teams? They just trying to rack up losses quickly?

Being bros helping others get wins.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Parallelwoody posted:

Losses equal more revenges, which is better than defense wins until you hit pvp leaderboard levels of poopsocking this game.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Does anyone have any teams to counter the Moon Rabbit Defense teams? My Doom Skull team of

Gorgotha
Glaycion
King Bloodhammer
Apothecary

Isn't fast enough to get my Glaycion online to get the freeze effect in many times. It leaves me up to rng if I can avoid getting a board that Moon Rabbit likes.

I was thinking of replacing Apothecary with Gimlet Stormbrew since he has empowered for turn one instant mana loop. Others was using a mana drain team or a freeze team to slow the game down enough for me to eek out a win. But when it comes to both teams I haven't much idea how to execute it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Thranguy posted:

Losses equal more revenges, which is better than defense wins until you hit pvp leaderboard levels of poopsocking this game.

Are the PvP leaderboards even legit? I figure they must be hackers or account sharers?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

Are the PvP leaderboards even legit? I figure they must be hackers or account sharers?

At least on consoles they're legit people with no lives. Same guilds as the top of the event lbs. Probably starting to be less ridiculous as more of the biggest whales/time wasters complete Zuul and stop needing the power orbs. Although some probably want to field a 4 Zuul team just because.

You can't trade anything, so no real incentive to do too much shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
If you're grinding ranked pvp for gold/etc, use a skeleton key team and just roll with some inevitable losses. That said, often there's a match that will spoil the blue->yellow conversion. If you must win, there are a few things you can try.
1) Try to freeze faster. This only works on the Qilin version, but that is the more dangerous one. Drop Gorgotha, move Glaycion in front, and slot a frost mage hero in the second or third spot. Doomed Blade or a disabling weapon is probably good, since there aren't enough blesses to go around.
2) Take control of the board faster. Mountain crusher is helpful for this, or King Highforge to assist Apothecary. If you can convert all the yellow or blue to brown, Moon Rabbit loses its oomph.
Hope this helps. I'm sure there are other/better counters.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Generally they are legit. I got up there one week, and while I have no wish to attempt that ever again, it wasn't "hard". Something like 2000 points per hour was typical, so today's top 10 would need 7-12 hours of playing.

e: Purple team today was Glaycion, Hellcat, Sekhma / Infernus, The Possessed King (HoG banner). Swapped Sekhma in when I needed insulated vs. freezier defense teams.

Enkor fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 9, 2019