Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
C. "Your sermon will play after this ad."

Kayten posted:

I wonder how we got that Rep boost, too. Did Tommas praise our name in noble circles for this? Does nobody outside El Verman and Sophia put any thought into opsec?
Most of our Rep gains this chapter came in form of padding our dad's resume, so maybe he got to sentence some of those nobles. Or maybe the list of traitors we gave Tommas just happened to include the biggest loudmouths with a penchant for besmirching the good Brante name. Probably both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
C We take a rep hit no matter what, and this keeps our options open, so assuming this isn't the last choice we make involving them (doesn't seem like it) I think we're fine.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

ZCKaiser posted:

C We take a rep hit no matter what, and this keeps our options open, so assuming this isn't the last choice we make involving them (doesn't seem like it) I think we're fine.

My thoughts exactly.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
C.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Kayten posted:

I mean, I wouldn't put it past him, to be honest.
If we're matching characters with historical counterparts, Moss's can be found in a line from the journal of Francis Walsingham, spymaster to Queen Elizabeth I:

"Today I went out and hired me a base fellow."

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 20, 2022

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
We were born a rabblerouser and we will die one too (multiple times before this is over, no doubt.) C.

TheMaskedReader
Aug 14, 2022
C

Makes me glad we picked the Rep up option from last time.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Throw another one on the C pile, we've got the willpower to burn and it has the best return on investment.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
1.33 - Counter-Schemes

You got other printers in mind, careerist?

That's what I thought.

Time to get to work.

We should branch out into distribution, on top of printing. Officially, I mean, we already do that unofficially.

On the one hand, the Silver Tree is an important pilgrimage site for all believers in the Twins.

On the other hand, someone's definitely gonna start poo poo with this crowd.

(It's us, I'm talking about us)

Remember, folks, if you have concerns about the old order (the ancien régime, if you will), call the Last Straw! That's L-A-S-

Cheeze it, it's the fuzz!

Nice plan, Lennart. Well-thought out, really covered all your bases here.

Thanks for the crowd though!

It is what it is.

Lennart keeps getting clowned on by the other bit players in our small town.

You love to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XibV1M5knwE

Always Stephan, huh.

Dude, we're in the bathroom, what the hell.

That's not great.

Be careful with that phrasing there. As far as we know, she's not one of ours.

Hey, what the gently caress? Since when is Stephan in charge?

Yeah! What she said!

Oh wow, just like that, huh.

That's an excellent point!

Yeah, this does not improve things for anyone outside Stephan.

Well, peace in the family wasn't gonna last very long.

--

What do we do?

A. We gotta do what we can. We promised. Lean on Father to adopt Gloria.

B. Look, we can ask, but in the end, it's Father's decision.

If we went for the Noble Path, and didn't abolish the bullshit noble dueling system, we could've challenged Stephan to a duel for running his mouth. However, no one's gonna duel a commoner, so we can't do it.

Do you remember when we came across Gloria's poetry society in our youth? That was the event for hitting 4 Ingenuity. If we had hit 4 Nobility, we would've seen an event with Stephan. Had we stuck with that, we could've blackmailed him into shutting up here.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I have to vote A.

I don't think it's the smart thing, but I'm not willing to backstab Gloria.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Gotta go for A

Time to burn bridges, nowhere else to run here. Besides, I'd think we already had rather bad blood with Stephan. At least now we can get the coveted -5 with our brother.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Ugh, that's a nasty choice but we're too incompetent to do anything else :(
Let's go for A

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
This is the reason why I don't understand why it's called Gloria's 'secret plot'. She didn't DO anything, she's just asking you for help in a fit of desperation.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

b

eh im sure things will work themselves out, right dad?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

A.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

A. Help Gloria!

TheMaskedReader
Aug 14, 2022
A. Sucks for family unity, but, like, I think letting our sister get married off would also suck for family unity.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Can't believe you'd think we'd vote anything but A, :cmon:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Slightly Lions posted:

Can't believe you'd think we'd vote anything but A, :cmon:

I think the real purpose of the vote is to let us soak in the consequences of our past actions.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Corbeau posted:

I think the real purpose of the vote is to let us soak in the consequences of our past actions.

Absolutely. You see, the game does not tell you this in any way (I also went for the Gloria plot on my blind first playthrough), but the optimal “Gloria Brante” path that doesn’t break the family, leading to at least one person dead, is to reject Gloria’s plan, and keep a high (7+) Unity. Because Gloria is bad at plotting, especially when nobility is involved. But if you keep a high enough family Unity for long enough, Stephan backs down and agrees to the adoption, giving up on getting Sword Nobled.

There’s a reason for why he would that that’s coming up soon.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Rejecting the plot also gives you Unity and Willpower too. Bonus stats!

For whatever it's worth, the thread is actually doing better than my first run through. I went Lotless too, and... it didn't work out at all despite being able to game some better stats with the foreknowledge of early life events that the thread didn't have.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Corbeau posted:

I have to vote A.

I don't think it's the smart thing, but I'm not willing to backstab Gloria.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Ah poo poo, it's principles vs Unity once again. That's practically threadbrante.txt in a nutshell, huh? (That and being a master criminal.)

As much as I hate to squander the unity we worked so hard for, at the end of the day we've always been on Gloria's side and always will be. gently caress Stephan.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I hope Sir Brante is ok.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I hope Sir Brante is ok.

We made one deal too many

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I hope Sir Brante is ok.

I suspect he's come down with a moderate to severe case of the Vicky 3s.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I hope Sir Brante is ok.

Sir Brante is never ok, but I hope he's still alive in spite of his stats and his life perpetually being on fire.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

We should have kept the gunpowder and run off to be pirates. Would have lived longer.

Also Sir Brante is our brother, we're Brante the printer.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 11, 2022

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013
Oh man, just got up to the end of this thread after reading it over several days, and it ends on a cliffhanger?!

Seriously, I was very curious about this run. I got the game when it first came out, and made several runs of it at the time. Interestingly enough, I think I got worse at it the more I played – my first couple runs felt successful, but later ones, despite Brante having higher stats, usually ended in a disaster of some kind. Well, that’s what you get for trying to mini-max stats in the game, rather than thinking about events in the game world, I suppose.

One other thing – I speak Russian, and so played the game in Russian, which I believe is the native language of the writers. I was struck by the quality of the writing – it’s not flowery but it’s smart, and it packs a punch at times with the choice of words and subtle meanings.

I was wondering if that is something that translated well. For those of you who played the game, or just followed the thread, what did you think of the writing, the word choices, the cadence of it? Is that what you’d expect, better, worse, nothing out of the ordinary?

For that matter, if anyone played it in Russian, did you think the writing was especially good, or not?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

katen run 2 in russian challenge

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

12Apr1961 posted:

I was wondering if that is something that translated well. For those of you who played the game, or just followed the thread, what did you think of the writing, the word choices, the cadence of it? Is that what you’d expect, better, worse, nothing out of the ordinary?

The prose has been rather good so far personally, it's got a good classical feeling cadence to it but without being overtly complex.

12Apr1961 posted:

Oh man, just got up to the end of this thread after reading it over several days, and it ends on a cliffhanger?!

Our Georg Brante always strikes a deal, although he's got nothing against breaking those deals. One such deal was seeing his story to completion...

(Jokes aside, we'll continue waiting patiently for the next update. It's fine if something's come up that's more important!)

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

katen run 2 in russian challenge

Well, I've been doing Russian -> English translations professionally for nearly 2 decades now, so this is certainly doable. It's a shitload of extra work though. I'll think about it.

Sorry about the delay.

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I suspect he's come down with a moderate to severe case of the Vicky 3s.

It's this.

Either way, I'm working on an update right now, should be up today.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
1.34 - A Good Year

And we're back!

Father, when did Stephan become the head of this family?

When did he get to overrule Father's decisions?

Looks like he's buying it.

Drag him!

Stephan, being a spoiled brat, has never learned a very important lesson.

Sometimes you need to shut the gently caress up.

This may not be the most Unity-friendly decision, but it's very satisfying.

Aw, that's sweet.

Poor Stephan.

He can die mad about it.

She's even labelled "Gloria Brante" now. That's a nice touch.

This is unfortunate, but expected.

Another year passes, making us 26.

And we have to deal with accounting.

Despite the sloppy work on the "legitimate business" side of things, we're making money hand over fist.

The money train keeps a-rollin'.

You know, this is honestly the first time I've ever hit 10 Wealth.

The tension between Gaius and Milanidas seems to have resolved itself.

I'm sure that's because Milanidas has accepted his new place, and the diminished power that comes with it.

And not because he's planning something.

Meanwhile, our year keeps getting better.

Fuad continues to be both very useful and very cool. Best priest in the Empire.

What do you have for us, old man?

Oh hell yes.

This is an exceedingly dangerous find.

Oh hey, they have the same appraoch as we do: panic, gently caress up the cops, and bounce.

Good eye on Fuad, though.

Of course it's Egmont, who else would be stupid enough to do this? He might as well have printed leaflets advertising the gun smuggling route.

Now the question is what are we going to do about it.

--

So what happens to the guns?

A. Oh boy, Felipe would be all over this. Time to earn our keep. Report this to El Ferro.

B. This is exactly what the magistrate needs to crush the nascent Lesser Quorum. Report this to El Verman.

C. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlQoXP2XH68

If we had more men in place, we could've gone to Egmont and taught him how to crime. Amateur hour poo poo, honestly.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

C

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This is a trick question, right? Obviously we're keeping the guns.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Actually, the blocked off option means having less people in place. Basically, your spy network is too strong so you can't properly avoid some news of this reaching back to Felipe or something.

At any rate, Mayer is just kind of screwed no matter the options.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

C. Mayer Egmont is helping me find my gun.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 25, 2022

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Take the guns. We live in a state we hate that has a gun ban to maintain military supremacy, and classically the best way to deal with arrogant noble bastards is with the help of Mr. Colt.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

C. Shoot people with those new fun guns of yours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

C. Mayer Egmont is helping me find my gun.