Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

seiferguy posted:

Squall turning Balamb Garden from crashing into Balamb gives strong Homer Simpson preventing a Merton at the Shelbyville power plant.

Crashing this school with no survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

boingy boingy boingy

clap-clap clap

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Crashing this school with no survivors.

What matters is our plan... that I cant recall the details of. (...huh.)

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Maybe they shouldn't have sent a bunch of rookie teenagers to assassinate the most powerful man in the world.

Or you know. A sniper assassin with a crippling phobia of shooting people with guns.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
He got the shot off.

It's just the rest of the plan was so completely idiotic that it didn't matter.

e: People say that it makes sense that the party makes some bad decisions because they're teenagers in a rather hosed-up environment, and I agree with that, but I'd argue the adults aren't really any better.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

He got the shot off.

It's just the rest of the plan was so completely idiotic that it didn't matter.

Yeah, he got the shot off.... after the gate had fallen and trapped her for a minute and a half, giving her PLENTY of time to recover from the surprise and deflect the shot.

Good job, soldier; really on the ball, there.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

It's been a few decades but didn't Rinoa have literal royal chambers added to the train where she spent her time sleeping while the others plan the big revolution?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Eschenique posted:

It's been a few decades but didn't Rinoa have literal royal chambers added to the train where she spent her time sleeping while the others plan the big revolution?

There isn't any indication she requested that room be made up for her as far as I can remember.

The idea Rinoa is just a spoiled brat playing at revolution is a meme started by haters. She was as committed to helping liberate Timber as any of the Forest Owls. They're all just incompetent because everyone is incompetent in FFVIII.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, he got the shot off.... after the gate had fallen and trapped her for a minute and a half, giving her PLENTY of time to recover from the surprise and deflect the shot.

Good job, soldier; really on the ball, there.

But if it worked then you wouldn't get to see that sweet angry Squall driving cutscene!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

NikkolasKing posted:

There isn't any indication she requested that room be made up for her as far as I can remember.

The idea Rinoa is just a spoiled brat playing at revolution is a meme started by haters. She was as committed to helping liberate Timber as any of the Forest Owls. They're all just incompetent because everyone is incompetent in FFVIII.

Yeah the Forest Owls are just kind of... Unprofessional. It's the scrappy resistance fighters getting called out on this by the professional soldiers of fortune who have been attending military school for the past decade, who just so happen to be the lens through which we see the plot. Amateurish at best but probably more aware of the stakes than the SeeDs are.

Which reminds me - is the implication that Zone gets stomach aches because he has feelings for Rinoa? He doesn't have any on the SeeD ship when she's absent, but he does on the train, and she's the common denominator?

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 23, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yeah the Timber Owls are just kind of... Unprofessional. It's the scrappy resistance fighters getting called out on this by the professional soldiers of fortune who have been attending military school for the past decade, who just so happen to be the lens through which we see the plot. Amateurish at best but probably more aware of the stakes than the SeeDs are.

Which reminds me - is the implication that Zone gets stomach aches because he has feelings for Rinoa? He doesn't have any on the SeeD ship when she's absent, but he does on the train, and she's the common denominator?

Maybe it is just a gag about women in general? He gets one when Quistis is like "no, I can't possibly" and he insists on giving her his train ticket.

But that's an interesting thought I had never considered before.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe it is just a gag about women in general? He gets one when Quistis is like "no, I can't possibly" and he insists on giving her his train ticket.

But that's an interesting thought I had never considered before.

He also gets incredibly aggressive towards Squall when he is informed of what happened to Rinoa at Galbadia Garden, much more so than Watts who is quite level-headed about the whole thing and calms Zone down.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I always just read Zone's thing as him being sort of nervous and cowardly, in contrast to the idea of a debonair revolutionary or whatever. Like it was just a way of conveying why the party needs to help the Timber Owls, but also to underline that if any of them isn't a hapless failson it's Rinoa.

The feelings for Rinoa bit is an interesting take, though I think the ultimate conclusion is the same. Zone doesn't measure up to Squall, and it makes him uncomfortable.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I probably love FFVIII more than the average person, but I kinda wished they could have roped Laguna, Kiros, and Ward somehow into the final battle with Ultimecia. I liked those guys and they deserved to kick some rear end. :colbert:

Also, I think someone here mentioned Ellone = Ultimecia, and I like that way, way more than R=U. Neither are canon, but dammit Square, that one connection could have made everything that much more compelling (and trippy).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

XIII/XIII-2 question:

Is the COM damage bonus significant enough to justify using Cerberus?

Or if you have a really strong RAV should you use two COM's and a RAV when the enemy is Staggered?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

XIII/XIII-2 question:

Is the COM damage bonus significant enough

Yes.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Cerberus except at very low stagger %. If they take forever to build stagger then Aggression can be useful for some slight post-stagger gain but by and large if you can use Cerberus you want to (especially in XIII-2 when you can tell them all to target the same enemy). XIII is slightly iffier if only because they will split their targets, where Aggression will have the ravager follow your lead.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Anybody here ever done a low level FF run?

I'm curious because I just re re-installed FFVII and am trying out the 7th Heaven mod thing and under gameplay mods it has Level 1 Challenge.

I play difficulty mods precisely because I want to be forced to use all the tools at my disposal. One of the joys of RPGs is watching the numbers go up and gaining crazy cool abilities but you end up making all the fights a joke. Difficulty mods don't let that happen. You need those levels and abilities to just barely survive.

But I've never done a low level run. Hell, this is a super low level run since Cloud always gets up to Level 7 at least in the regular game. It could be different and interesting.

In FFX-2 you can stay as low as levels 1/1/2 (or 2/1/1 or 1/2/1) and it's not as terribly unfair as you might think. Sure most hits are an OHKO but there are so many ways around that thanks to the tons of abilities and options you have at your disposal. Playing at low levels really feels more like a game mode or a mod rather than a gimmick.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

HD DAD posted:

I probably love FFVIII more than the average person, but I kinda wished they could have roped Laguna, Kiros, and Ward somehow into the final battle with Ultimecia. I liked those guys and they deserved to kick some rear end. :colbert:

Also, I think someone here mentioned Ellone = Ultimecia, and I like that way, way more than R=U. Neither are canon, but dammit Square, that one connection could have made everything that much more compelling (and trippy).

Did I miss this? Care to break it down?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yeah the Forest Owls are just kind of... Unprofessional. It's the scrappy resistance fighters getting called out on this by the professional soldiers of fortune who have been attending military school for the past decade, who just so happen to be the lens through which we see the plot. Amateurish at best but probably more aware of the stakes than the SeeDs are.

He's trying to hide his boner.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

The room had to come from somewhere! :v:

And she didn't mind using it.

Pretty sure if Quistis was handed that room she would tell them to clear it out. Put in a cot and fill the rest of the space up with more rockets, bombs and whatever else a proper assassination mission needs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eschenique posted:

The room had to come from somewhere! :v:

And she didn't mind using it.

Pretty sure if Quistis was handed that room she would tell them to clear it out. Put in a cot and fill the rest of the space up with more rockets, bombs and whatever else a proper assassination mission needs.

That implies a level of competence that Quistis doesn't really have.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

That implies a level of competence that Quistis doesn't really have.

She killed the spider! Which is more than anyone ever did.

I don't remember how far I got into the original game at the time. Somewhere after the spaceship and recruiting Edea and then there was some futuristic space city. I think I quit the game a while after defeating ultima weapon. Because I spent that entire dungeon just keeping Squall at low health and spamming Lionheart and I thought that was kind of bullshit. Especially combined with all regular attacks doing 9999 damage anyway which made an overwhelming majority of GFs useless. The game also banned me from using magics because all the good ones were already busy being junctioned to give me elemental immunity, max health and massive health drain on attacks etc.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Eschenique posted:

She killed the spider!

not in my playthroughs she didn't :colbert:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Eschenique posted:

She killed the spider! Which is more than anyone ever did.

I don't remember how far I got into the original game at the time. Somewhere after the spaceship and recruiting Edea and then there was some futuristic space city. I think I quit the game a while after defeating ultima weapon. Because I spent that entire dungeon just keeping Squall at low health and spamming Lionheart and I thought that was kind of bullshit. Especially combined with all regular attacks doing 9999 damage anyway which made an overwhelming majority of GFs useless. The game also banned me from using magics because all the good ones were already busy being junctioned to give me elemental immunity, max health and massive health drain on attacks etc.

Excuse you, as I remember it the robot spider died when Selphie blasted it with about ten Thundaga spells and I will not hear any different :colbert:

Sounds like you got very near the end, which is where I'm at. The game does kind of push you towards junctioning the best spells to turn you into a walking god, but that's still kind of your choice to do so. In my opinion some spells like Aura are just too good to junction despite the benefits, and sometimes the game gives you a workaround like Cerberus or auto-haste so you can junction Triple and Haste without worrying about using junctioned spells.

You could always junction a weaker spell and use Devour or refine stat items to bring your base stats up so you can use the end game magic. You could keep a low level party as long as possible and take advantage of the equippable stat level up passive abilities. Hell you could refine endless copies of cards on disc 4 to make holy wars and be invincible every battle if you wanted - no need for defensive junctions when literally nothing can touch you right?

TL;DR - junctioning is one way to break the game and has the least time investment but you do have other options if you're willing to invest time into them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqvcfMeCAco

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

DeadButDelicious posted:

Excuse you, as I remember it the robot spider died when Selphie blasted it with about ten Thundaga spells and I will not hear any different :colbert:

Sadly she got knocked out after trying Quetzalcoatl spam and the spider thundered on.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The right thing to do is to hide in that one building after the chumps run out of it and let the spider run passed you.

Seriously though, I wonder how that might effect your performance rating? I never was able to figure that poo poo out beyond "don't talk to anybody."

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Hiding in the cafe docks you a large amount of points in your grading for Rank after. That stuff is easy as hell to raise though, so it's not like it really matters.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

The right thing to do is to hide in that one building after the chumps run out of it and let the spider run passed you.

Seriously though, I wonder how that might effect your performance rating? I never was able to figure that poo poo out beyond "don't talk to anybody."

You do lose 20 points in "Attitude"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Also talking to anyone during the mission/disobeying Seifer/not saving the dog

It'd be cool if they did more stuff with the SeeD rankings. It felt good getting a rank up if you did the train mission perfectly

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I feel like FF8 is the game where money matters the least. I'm not trying to raise my SeeD rank, am in disc 2 and already have more money than what I care to do with.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you're not playing at minimum SeeD rank you're not playing it right, no one respects a nerd cop.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you really need money then sell Irvine, it's not like you're using him anyway.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

If you need money just open up gamefaqs and do the SeeD tests, you can get rank 30 without too much effort

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

smh if you're not spamming fast ammo every chance you get, alongside blitz and renzo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mega64 posted:

If you're not playing at minimum SeeD rank you're not playing it right, no one respects a nerd cop.

SeeDs are like the opposite of a cop. You go and try killing the head of state and frequently fight government troops.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I eat all of my enemies.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You also proceed to break an enemy of the state out of prison cause you got a boner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Squall explaining to the mayor of FH as to why he had to attack Galbadian soldiers is a perfect metaphor as to why antifa should punch nazis.

quote:

I wish...everything could be settled without resorting to violence... and there would be no need for battles. Like you've been preaching, it would be wonderful if things could be settled by discussion. The only problem with that is that it takes too much time. Especially if the others are not willing to listen. So I believe that fighting is inevitable at times. It's really sad. That's all I have to say. I hope you understand someday. I think the world needs both people like you and people like us.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 24, 2019