Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

Nicely said. Also worth noting is if Google does deliver on their promised platform features and the platform is adopted. The "failed" launch will not matter at all in the grand scheme of things. Google always launches products like this so I am in no way surprised. They release everything very iteratively.

If you are a gaming consumer you aren't used to this which is kind of indicative of what is actually different about Stadia. When you release a xbox with constrained hardware it has to be all lined up in advance because the xbox can't change what it is for 7 years. Not true with Stadia they can keep making it better indefinitely. So maybe what everyone is seeing is the first few months of an xbox release cycle. If it was an xbox we wouldn't be able to get our hands on it until the end of the cycle. But where it is a cloud service we can so why wait to find out how well it works and what people think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

They have a point. For example when Google relaunched YouTube Music in 2018 they said they would bring all of Google Play Music's features over, and it only took them... oh wait, they haven't done any of that at all or talked about it in like a year.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Weedle posted:

They have a point. For example when Google relaunched YouTube Music in 2018 they said they would bring all of Google Play Music's features over, and it only took them... oh wait, they haven't done any of that at all or talked about it in like a year.

Also, Gmail will get Inbox's features any day now.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It's going to own when everyone's founders' subscriptions run out and they still don't have the Base plan ready so everybody has to keep paying a monthly fee to play the games they already bought.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

gschmidl posted:

Also, Gmail will get Inbox's features any day now.

I'm still salty about inbox and I kinda want a better mobile client.. Can anyone recommend one?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Weedle posted:

It's going to own when everyone's founders' subscriptions run out and they still don't have the Base plan ready so everybody has to keep paying a monthly fee to play the games they already bought.

I kind of doubt that will happen, but it will be extra hilarious if it does because that's one of the things hostile apostle toxxed for

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'm pretty sure they'll just slide into a "base" that doesn't exist for anyone else so the gradual slide into nothing takes longer than 4months.
No one will know what's going on. How long they'll have access or whether anyone else can gain access without buying the $130 bundle because Google will communicate only in vague promises that people won't "lose access".

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Except how often is Google going to update their gaming hardware? They can't just update iteratively, they basically have to go big bang. I guess they can use older hardware for older games, but still, you need to be able to meet the demand for the games that require newer hardware.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm sorry but are you telling me that Google's track record on delivering features is suspect?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter that we've all been ripped off for $130 on a beta launch that won't be good for years, if at all. We are all slowly dying and even the Glory that is Stadia is small compared to the horrifying enormity of the universe. Stadia is just the briefest flicker of light in the long darkness. Keep your faith and be saved in the next life, where Stadia shall be on Earth as it is in the Googleplex!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Except how often is Google going to update their gaming hardware? They can't just update iteratively, they basically have to go big bang. I guess they can use older hardware for older games, but still, you need to be able to meet the demand for the games that require newer hardware.

don't need new hardware if you don't have new games *taps head*

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Cemetry Gator posted:

GeForce Now is currently going through exactly that. They're upgrading their servers from Tesla P40's to new RTX cards, but not all at once so you get different levels of performance based on which rig you connect to.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Stux posted:

i dont know, i feel like everything kind of lasts a lot longer now than before and that you can get a lot more for less, especially if you go in with a money saving mindset. yeah people who dropped $250 for a 4/4 i5 just before they moved to 6 core are probably sore but when i bought a cpu last year i didnt even bother looking at new, i just grabbed a used 6700k off ebay for like £150. the biggest part of my pc now is a new 1660ti that i got as a present but if it had been my money i probably wouldve just picked up a used 1070 and saved another £50-70. the pc runs near everything at 1080p maxed out except the handful of games with extreme top end settings and its probably going to be fine without any upgrades for a good while. id say thats midrange and anything higher is getting into a pretty high end build.

It's even more cost effective now that AMD are back in the game. a modest ryzen, 2060 and 64gb ram is pretty high end and can be had for $1400 new (just built 4 for the office).
They outperform our $3500 machines from 2 years ago.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

And ISP's will just raise their data caps because they are nice and they want to keep their customers happy.

Google has had some great quotes from this whole thing.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'm still salty about inbox and I kinda want a better mobile client.. Can anyone recommend one?
Outlook will load mail from any service that matters.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The impending death of Stadia is some of the best news I've seen for a while. Any tentacle that Alphabet extends toward ANYTHING should be greeted by a roaring chainsaw. :flame:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I liked that redditor that thinks Thailand and Vietnam have great and cheap broadband internet.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

quote:

A lot of people make comments such as, "with Stadia you don't own your games!". In my opinion though, Stadia is the most resilient platform to by a game on right now.

For example: if my house burns down with everything in it, I could walk to the library and sign into a computer, then begin playing my games before the smoldering ruins of my house were put out. No other platform can make that claim to my knowledge.

I could also use a friend's old PC or laptop, regardless of specs, to resume my AAA gaming. If no one had anything available, I could buy a Chromebook for under $150 and resume my gaming. Never losing my save files, never having to repurchase or redownload my games.

To me, that's much cooler than being able to put a physical disc into a machine in the potential eventuality that support for my gaming platform ends. (Also, the disc and console would burn with my house in the scenario above.)

Have you guys had any thoughts like this that people aren't talking about? I'd love to hear them!

quote:

I'm not sure you fully understood my post. Because no, you can't walk to the library and resume your gaming on the other platforms you listed, especially not before your house is done burning.

Also, with consoles you can only resume your games on gifted hardware if someone gives you the specific console that you had before. Not just whatever they happen to have lying around.

And if you're talking PC games, the gifted hardware would need to at least have a graphics card capable of running modern games. That's no small thing.

My point is with Stadia, the specifications and type of hardware don't matter nearly as much.

I understand how digital purchases work. I have many on Steam. They're not even close to as resilient as Stadia.

quote:

PS Now, GeForce Now, and Shadow all require you to install a desktop app, something that's against policy in a lot of libraries. Chrome is already installed most of the time.

X Cloud isn't even available on PC, so you clearly didn't think that through.

quote:

Excuse me for not realizing you were so hellbent on playing on that library computer.

...! fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 1, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This poo poo is beyond parody.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Oh gently caress, I didn't realize my entire Steam library was local

e: nor can I read, apparently. It's still stupid.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 1, 2020

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Did not even realise libraries were still funded in the US.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

gschmidl posted:

Oh gently caress, I didn't realize my entire Steam library was local

e: nor can I read, apparently. It's still stupid.

What? Your joke worked fine.

Unlike Stadia

Barudak
May 7, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Did not even realise libraries were still funded in the US.

If youre in a nice neighborhood they carry video games so you dont even need to buy them

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That first post is going to be immensely funnier when Stadia disappears.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That first post is going to be immensely funnier when Stadia disappears.

I have to request that when the time comes for Stadia to dissappear, we fill this thread with quotes from reddit about people lamenting about losing their game collections and how stadia was too good for its time then send this thread to the goldmine to be preserved forever.

The first post will be updated with a screenshot of Stadia from the Google graveyard page.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

My wife and children clutched each other near the ambulance, struggling to absorb the sheer destruction the fire had wrought upon our home. The blazing timbers that once formed the house's roof finally gave and collapsed into what had been our living room, their thunderous crash serving to emphasize that our lives would never be the same again. Well, I thought, some things will stay exactly the same. I fished my keys out of my pocket and started towards our PT Cruiser.
"Where are you going?" my large-toothed wife demanded, straining to be heard over the sobbing of our toddlers.
"To the library," I said. "To game."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The only thing that can soothe my wounded soul after the blazing destruction of my home and all of my belongings is sitting down at a library computer to play Tomb Raider 2013.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kanos posted:

The only thing that can soothe my wounded soul after the blazing destruction of my home and all of my belongings is sitting down at a library computer to play Tomb Raider 2013.

this, except football manager, unironically

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

I don't think the weight is as much of an issue as the size it, it's so drat big. According to the HardwareCanucks coverage it has 2 hours of battery life. lol

That said though, pretty interesting concept would take it over Stadia anyday. lol

Is this thing going to be the Sega GameGear reborn? :D

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Bofast posted:

Is this thing going to be the Sega GameGear reborn? :D

Please, the Game Gear got at least 3 hours out of a fresh set of 6 AA batteries.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kanos posted:

Please, the Game Gear got at least 3 hours out of a fresh set of 6 AA batteries.

Well that’s fake news.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Communist Walrus posted:

My wife and children clutched each other near the ambulance, struggling to absorb the sheer destruction the fire had wrought upon our home. The blazing timbers that once formed the house's roof finally gave and collapsed into what had been our living room, their thunderous crash serving to emphasize that our lives would never be the same again. Well, I thought, some things will stay exactly the same. I fished my keys out of my pocket and started towards our PT Cruiser.
"Where are you going?" my large-toothed wife demanded, straining to be heard over the sobbing of our toddlers.
"To the library," I said. "To game."

Kanos posted:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Tipps posted:

It's like watching a rerun of GameFAQs forum posts from 2005.

I didn't realize people still unironically criticize Nintendo for being the "kiddie" console. Hardcore gamers like GRAPHICS and VIOLENCE.

Yeah, I'm getting intense flashbacks. Some things never change.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If you can't use something while your house is aflame, did you ever really own it?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Kanos posted:

I owned one and I could have sworn it was 6 hours out of 4 AA's but the Nomad was a hilarious 4 hours out of 6. Either way I played the Game Gear with a wall adapter as soon as we could find one.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

:hmmyes: A fair point, fellow goon

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The computer would need a great connection to properly play a Stadia game at decent quality. I'm not sure libraries generally have that. The computer monitor is also not gonna match the 60" widescreen TV that is now permanently bonded to the ashy floor of your former home.

You'd have to bring your headphones too if you wanted to play Stadia on a computer there, since the library won't tolerate noise (and savvy library IT folk might have disabled the speakers). Didn't the headphones melt in the fire? Oh, and a controller if you were used to that - I doubt the library will lend you one.

The version of Chrome installed on a computer there might also not be the most recent one and the network admin might've disabled updates for some reason, so if it's older than the one required for Stadia (Chrome 75, I think)... gonna have to find another library!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

I was totally sceptical about Stadia and decided against buying the FE at launch but was lucky enough to pick up a buddy code on one of the threads on here - I’m on a long work trip and extremely bored/missing some decent gaming. Checked the hotel Wi-fi and it’s pulling decent speeds so thought it was worth a go on my work laptop (standard Dell i7, no graphics) and I am MINDBLOWN! I just dipped into Destiny 2 and had a quick spin around - there was lag (like console games can do when playing online) but overall I hardly noticed any input lag from my standard work issue Dell wireless mouse. This has totally changed my weekend - now to purchase FM20 - already have it on Steam and it runs OK but pretty hot/slow on my MBP at home. I know this is a little slow on the uptake but totally sold on the potential and definitely won’t invest in a gaming laptop/pc now!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That’s just a blatant lie

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Well google sure cut down their estimates quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Khablam posted:

Well google sure cut down their estimates quickly.

Sooo, 110 games in 6 months, that's 18 games a month, or one game every two days.