Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
uh, River Raid? You Philistines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

cram me sideways posted:

Actually hard for me to think of 2600 games that are objectively good. I'm coming up with Pressure Cooker, Keystone Kapers and H.E.R.O. Was the Popeye arcade port decent? I remember having it as a kid but our cart got loving wrecked.

Joust was a really fun port IMO, and Berzerk. Those were pretty much the only two games I played on my Sears Video Arcade II.

Speaking of: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Sears-Arcade-II-AV-Audio-Video-RCA-Power-AV-Cables-/301890854505?hash=item464a18de69:g:HQIAAOSwB4NWwSJF

This whole "taking Atari consoles and adding composite/component out" thing seems to be catching on.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

I haven't gotten too many of those plug-and-play games over the years... actually, the only one I know for sure is in my possession is one of the Atari 2600 ones. Which makes me wonder if I should just get an actual Atari 2600, and then have somebody RGB mod it, because this thing only has composite, and, well, ew. Though at least it has several built-in games.

Though I have other things I'd rather spend money on first. (Like getting my NES RGB-modded.)

Actually, Atari 2600 doesn't even have composite out. It's RF out.

cram me sideways posted:

Actually hard for me to think of 2600 games that are objectively good. I'm coming up with Pressure Cooker, Keystone Kapers and H.E.R.O. Was the Popeye arcade port decent? I remember having it as a kid but our cart got loving wrecked.

The library is full of people experimenting with early arcade style games. Sometimes they were a bit too ambitious for the system but there's a lot that are fun to play in the short bursts that they're intended for. To pick out a few less commonly cited games, Astrosmash, Spiderdroid (my favorite maze runner game on the system), and Towering Inferno are all pretty cool

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

Actually, Atari 2600 doesn't even have composite out. It's RF out.

The Atari Flashback 2 is fully compatible with regular Atari 2600 cartridges if you solder a slot in, and that has composite out, as do the other Flashback series Atari consoles (though without the cartridge compatibility).

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
What I want is a 60hz mod for my PAL50

Same for the Namco stick I have. gently caress PAL50.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Adding composite out to a 2600 is generally pretty simple if you know how to use a soldering iron anyway. Probably actually easier than adding a cart slot to a flashback.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the best 2600 game is kaboom

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Panty Saluter posted:

uh, River Raid? You Philistines.

I'm still pissed at myself for not buying that one before Microsoft Game Room went dark.

edit: holy god on loving earth I cannot believe the prices they are asking for in the Arcade Archive series on PS4. $7.99 per game. What the living gently caress. In this day an age your loving toaster can emulate these goddamn things; what the hell are they trying charging eight bucks for these loving things.

cram me sideways fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 2, 2016

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm that weird one that liked Haunted House, which I think was in large part due to having the manual for it. Turmoil is one of the best shoot at things game on the 2600 though.

There are good games on the system it's just most are by Activision, even though I just cited a Fox and Atari Inc one.

e: wouldn't $7.99 get you one of the older Activision Anthologies? Like the ps1 version?

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Haunted House remake on 360 was actually pretty well-done. I think it's a fun game. :)

As for Arcade Archive, the appeal, to me anyways, is that they're showcasing arcade games that I'm assuming most have never heard of (not necessarily stalwarts from the Atari stable) which is a noble endeavor, however you've got to do a better job of tricking me into buying a quarter-muncher for eight bucks. Unless this thing sports some incredible features, all you're doing is making me re-evaluate just how much good MAME has done for game preservation.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Man, $7 per game is even worse than the Game Room stuff, where it was $4 to buy individual games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jungle Hunt is an oddly good port on 2600. My mind would've been blown in 1982, like "every level is different aaaaaahhhh my mind can't take it!!!"

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The cheap knock off a/v cable I bought for my model 1 genesis finally died, as soon as I have time to sit down and play my newly acquired Contra Hard Corps. Awesome.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ambitious Spider posted:

The cheap knock off a/v cable I bought for my model 1 genesis finally died, as soon as I have time to sit down and play my newly acquired Contra Hard Corps. Awesome.

Are both the video and audio plugs inserted into your TV? I had (maybe still have?) a cheap Model 1 AV cable like that which needed both plugs to be inserted into the TV due to bullshit grounding issues or whatever.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Are both the video and audio plugs inserted into your TV? I had (maybe still have?) a cheap Model 1 AV cable like that which needed both plugs to be inserted into the TV due to bullshit grounding issues or whatever.

just the video, I was using the stereo out. . I gave it a try and I'm still just getting audio

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Elliotw2 posted:

Adding composite out to a 2600 is generally pretty simple if you know how to use a soldering iron anyway. Probably actually easier than adding a cart slot to a flashback.

definitely

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ambitious Spider posted:

just the video, I was using the stereo out. . I gave it a try and I'm still just getting audio

Yeah, probably dead then, and non-ideal even if it did work. Just thought it was worth a shot to mention so you could keep on gaming in the interim.

If you're gaming on a CRT with S-Video inputs (and this goes for anyone, really), I'd recommend looking into the Genesis S-Video mod Monitor Burn offers. It's not really that pricey in the big picture, offers better video quality than regular Genesis RF and composite video, and allows you to use regular S-Video cables that are likely to be more durable and reliable than the cheap rear end replacement AV cables for the Genesis that infest Ebay and Amazon.

Considering that a OEM Genesis "monitor cable" for composite video is now kind of rare and apparently rather pricey (though I got lucky with one for $10 last January), I don't think it's the looniest idea to consider...but that's me.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Yeah, probably dead then, and non-ideal even if it did work. Just thought it was worth a shot to mention so you could keep on gaming in the interim.

If you're gaming on a CRT with S-Video inputs (and this goes for anyone, really), I'd recommend looking into the Genesis S-Video mod Monitor Burn offers. It's not really that pricey in the big picture, offers better video quality than regular Genesis RF and composite video, and allows you to use regular S-Video cables that are likely to be more durable and reliable than the cheap rear end replacement AV cables for the Genesis that infest Ebay and Amazon.

Considering that a OEM Genesis "monitor cable" for composite video is now kind of rare and apparently rather pricey (though I got lucky with one for $10 last January), I don't think it's the looniest idea to consider...but that's me.

I am and that's not a terrible idea.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Defender has a ridiculously solid 2600 port, I'm still not even sure how they made the radar work.

Space Invaders is great, Breakout of course. Klax is fun if you want to see a console from 1977 run a port of an arcade puzzle game from 1990.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

No mention of Adventure, or Canyon Bomber? For shame.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Pitfall and especially Pitfall 2 are great. Seriously Pitfall 2 is a hell of an accomplishment on that hardware. Atlantis is another great game; in fact, that is my favorite 2600 game.

Also I feel like one of the only people in this thread who really loves the 2600. I grew up in the SNES era so it's not even like I have nostalgia for the 2600, I just like it on its own.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I just finished Minish Cap, and what a good game. I'm quickly realizing that 2D Zeldas are way more my style than 3D.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Fremry posted:

I just finished Minish Cap, and what a good game. I'm quickly realizing that 2D Zeldas are way more my style than 3D.

:yeah:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I wonder how difficult it would be to just put a composite out in place of the unwanted RF adapter on a Genesis 1. It's already got the hole and everything.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Elliotw2 posted:

I wonder how difficult it would be to just put a composite out in place of the unwanted RF adapter on a Genesis 1. It's already got the hole and everything.

It would just involve running wires for composite and ground from the board connections for the AV port. Removing the RF adapter would probably take more time than that. The hole would require a washer or oversized mount to attach an RCA jack though, it barely fits the S-Video ports that I use. I also usually replace the channel select switch with a 3.5mm stereo jack:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Surround was awesome on Atari

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Fremry posted:

I didn't play the handheld games growing up, but am enjoying going back through them now. Minish Cap was fun, even though I played half of it on a GB Micro and my eyes would burn after an hour from trying to focus on the small screen. I also really enjoyed Oracle of Ages, and am playing through Seasons now. I definitely like the 2d Zelda's, it probably helped that the original was my favorite game growing up, can't tell you how many times I beat it. A Link Between Worlds was a fun throw back to that. Hope they do more new games like that,at least for the handhelds.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the mario artist software suite continues to be a monster generator and i love my son

i love my son

i l o v e m y s o n

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
A fair portion of the best 2600 games got superior ports on the Atari 8 bit computers. A few were on the 5200 but then hackers brought em back to the superior choice.

The 2600 was my first game system and all but most of the library is kind of poo poo, especially without manuals.

Basically get the Activision collection, the tv paddle thingie, and then go Atari 8 bit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

No mention of Adventure, or Canyon Bomber? For shame.

Adventure I actually wouldn't recommend to people. It was groundbreaking and amazing when it was released, but it's one of those ambitious titles for the system that just falls to the wayside as people would go on to do the same things only a hundred times better.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

beaver_cheese posted:

While you're waiting check out these pre made system specific profiles for the framemeister. Very helpful and updated very frequently.

http://www.firebrandx.com/pixelpurist.html
Back to this now that I have a spare SD card, but why do the instructions say to turn on Zoom? That winds up turning everything into non-4:3.

E: Nevermind, was being dumb and using a 5x profile which produces a resolution larger than my TV.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 2, 2016

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Random Stranger posted:

Adventure I actually wouldn't recommend to people. It was groundbreaking and amazing when it was released, but it's one of those ambitious titles for the system that just falls to the wayside as people would go on to do the same things only a hundred times better.

I agree: Adventure is iconic, but not terribly fun or interesting.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Saw this pop up on Hacker News, apologies if it's already been posted:

Neo Geo Programmer's Guide
http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/NeoGeoProgrammersGuide.pdf

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Demon Attack is a pretty fun game for the 2600.

Also Endro is simple, but fun.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Neat! As an addendum to that Neo Geo one, I know the Gameboy programming manual is available. I wonder how many other first party programming manuals have been leaked.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

That's not a bad idea. I don't have a composite cable so I just tried it.

First, remove the RF components. The top of the box comes off easily and then needle-nose pliers will break up the brittle board.

Then solder a wire to the center pin of the jack:

The jack is already grounded so you just need the one wire.

And finally, solder the wire to this pin:

Now I can use a regular RCA cable instead of my hacked-up paper clip wire that always falls out of the multi-out. :v:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

_____! posted:

Neat! As an addendum to that Neo Geo one, I know the Gameboy programming manual is available. I wonder how many other first party programming manuals have been leaked.

After my storage unit was broken into a few years ago, this is all I have left of dev stuff

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

_____! posted:

Here's some more:

SNES Development Manual Books 1 and 2
Stella (Atari 2600) Programmer's Guide

I thought this page of the Neo-Geo manual...

...was pretty funny in hindsight, given how often SNK's biggest games would go on to ignore those recommendations. :gibs:

_____!
May 2, 2004

quote:

...2. Symbols of adult consumption such as liquor bottles, cigarettes or :retrogames:large wads of money:retrogames: require special consideration.
Save the children from capitalism! Thanks for those other links, the VCS one will be neat to thumbclick through while I try to recall what I read in "Racing the Beam."

Chainclaw posted:

After my storage unit was broken into a few years ago, this is all I have left of dev stuff

I forgot that happened.:(
The company names didn't ring a bell, though Psy-Q sounded familiar. I had no clue those were for Psygnosis's SDK, super cool.

My friend who I bought my car from had Mass Effect stickers on it (N7, weird star thing, etc what do I know I've never played it). I found a vinyl sticker I made in high school circa 2002, so out with the new in with the old! Thank you nerdy 17 or 18 year old self.

Glad it fit almost perfectly in that racing stripe. It makes me miss my old Subaru since I painted the trunk and took all the lettering off replacing it with standard NES style typeface.

_____! fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Turbinosamente posted:

There are good games on the system it's just most are by Activision

This. My favorite one of those is Seaquest - a single-screen hori shmup where you collect the divers and bring them to the surface, while avoiding or destroying sharks and enemy subs. It's a good early example of "cash-out" scoring mechanics (the more divers you have, the bigger the bonus).

Pitfall, River Raid, Enduro, Megamania, and Kaboom are also good and still hold up for quick arcade-like plays.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I also really enjoyed Oracle of Ages, and am playing through Seasons now.

Yeah, I got these when they first came out and they were peak Zelda, IMO. Kudos to the Capcom devs, they did an excellent job.

• Locked thread