Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If I don't want to sit through cutscenes, I simply don't do Main Scenario roulette that day. Oh no, like 100 tomestones and some gil, how will I ever recover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

What's a good way to farm up skybuilder scripts these days? I'm not sure if I did much of it in the past since i think I had most of my stuff leveled past it when it was new, so I have a lot of pets/mouts/emotes to buy.

I level most of the DoH jobs via Ishard Resto but alot of the items are fairly cheap now since it's p old.

They will be even cheaper when the Moogle tome event Part 2 starts soon.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I skipped them a handful of times in old prae with a few others (Gaius would hit hard on DPS so you wanted a healer or tank to help) because there was less than 45 minutes from duty start until reset and we wanted to finish before :v:

Otherwise prae was the perfect duty to do dishes or laundry, why would you want to skip the best part.

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 12, 2024

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

orcane posted:

It is (French is shorter as well), it's what people picked to "speedrun" the old, long version.

Brute-forcing the expert recipes by vastly outgearing them, I think.

Dunno if Im doing something wrong in teamcraft, but I punched in my stats (3816, 3518, 575) added the recipe and looked through rotations, but it doesn't look like I can reach max collectability (1400) - are expert recipes just that cracked?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Expert recipes are (mostly) designed to not be macro-able, since they rely on procs a lot. I heard there are level 90 rotations which can do them, which required maxed or nearly maxed level 90 gear and I have no idea what the required rotations are.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

orcane posted:

Expert recipes are (mostly) designed to not be macro-able, since they rely on procs a lot. I heard there are level 90 rotations which can do them, which required maxed or nearly maxed level 90 gear and I have no idea what the required rotations are.

I macro'd through the EW relics because I am max lazy. I had optimally pentamelded per 6.3 gear. First expert step I usually got enough collectability for 2 bits. The last step it was usually just enough for 1 bit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Xerophyte posted:

One of the few times I've had abuse hurled at me in FF14 was someone angry that the rest of the party would not all forcibly disconnect ourselves to skip Gaius' monologue like they did. It was so bizarre that I couldn't really be offended at it, just someone who has apparently played so many video games that they lost all sense of how normal humans function.

Every once in a while you get a reminder why they put those limits in in the first place.

I had someone once who AFK'd the first half of Ultima Weapon and a minute of the second half, and justified it by saying they were playing Magic online. I can get multi-tasking for those sorts of things but why on earth wouldn't you combine a multiplayer game with a singleplayer one so you don't leave actual people hanging?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Finished my command missions and sent my guys on the rank-up mission!

I feel like I may have been lucky I already has a set of level 60 squadron guys. I can't remember how bad the grind was for that, though I remember sending them on missions daily back when I first did this stuff.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the Japanese Praetorium Gaius speech is significantly shorter than the English one (though still long as hell), since I almost always load in like 20 seconds before anyone else, and that's the only explanation I can think of (since it never happens for other fights).

Yes, that one is shorter in japanese, while the Lahabrea one is a bit longer (no idea how Praetorium works now, but I don't think they redid the cutscenes?)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xerophyte posted:

The pro esports speedrunners switch language in the Praetorium on a per-cutscene basis.

Yep, this is definitely it. I actually used a timer yesterday and it was ~25 seconds, which matches this table.

Speaking of that fight, they really improved it a lot from how it used to be.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

this is mildly stupid, and really mostly a thing that would affect ARR, so I doubt it exists, but is there any kind of mod out there that replaces the generic "dungeon" labels on the map with the actual dungeon names?

I'm wandering around doing ARR fates at the moment for yokai weapons and every time I look at the map, I just feel like I might have a better idea of what the geography is like in this part of the world if I knew which dungeons I was near on the map without having to actively fly over to them, see what they are, then remember what they were without any prompting from the map itself

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I've yet to see a new game+ speedrun of FFXIV that actually utilizes: https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Strider_Boots.

Or if they're really hardcore, a 1.0 registration using this: https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Hermes%27_Shoes

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
how do those shoes tie into endwalker lore

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

hexwren posted:

this is mildly stupid, and really mostly a thing that would affect ARR, so I doubt it exists, but is there any kind of mod out there that replaces the generic "dungeon" labels on the map with the actual dungeon names?

I'm wandering around doing ARR fates at the moment for yokai weapons and every time I look at the map, I just feel like I might have a better idea of what the geography is like in this part of the world if I knew which dungeons I was near on the map without having to actively fly over to them, see what they are, then remember what they were without any prompting from the map itself

The dungeon names pop up on the map if you zoom in closer than the 50% level, and have the map text button toggled on.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Gruckles posted:

The dungeon names pop up on the map if you zoom in closer than the 50% level, and have the map text button toggled on.

I’ve been playing for 2 years now and just found out about this last week while I was replaying ARR on an alt. That’s on me though; I don’t usually zoom in that far lol.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Endwalker is 60% off* now
https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/01dd3c4849042a2417206c549e34e2bb81e0280d

*For everyone not using the Steam version

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
so whats the point of it going on sale/buying it a month out from dawntrail? i am stupid so keep that in mind.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Zeruel posted:

so whats the point of it going on sale/buying it a month out from dawntrail? i am stupid so keep that in mind.

support your local small indie dev

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Zeruel posted:

Some people might buy the sale version of Endwalker and the full version of Dawntrail which is more money than if they just purchase Dawntrail and a sale sounds like a deal.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

And if the msq has its hooks in you it may be worth it to keep playing the story.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Zeruel posted:

If you just buy Dawntrail, you won't get access to Shadowbringers/Endwalker until Dawntrail's release date in July.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If the upgrade to the digital collector's editions is on sale that's a pretty good deal. You get a bunch of mounts and minions and little glam pieces for $40

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I don't remember if they'd confirmed this yet or not, but just like the previous expansions' lead-in PLLs, this next one will have English live translation.

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1789973955786506348?t=M8XFS2PjUZKCK9iVLx4QZQ

aers
Feb 15, 2012

They said this one and the final one next month will when they showed the schedule.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
E: misread

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zeruel posted:

If you don't currently have Shadowbringers or Endwalker, standard edition can't go past Stormblood & level 70. I'm sure there's some players who don't want to sit around doing nothing but side content/alt leveling in the meantime, and buying both EW+DT is a bad deal, but it's a slightly less bad deal if EW is on sale.

Definitely seems like they should just make it so the pre-order code of DT would just grant you access to previous xpacs.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I'd imagine legal requirements of having to allow refunds for preorders cause issues there

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

If you don't currently have Shadowbringers or Endwalker, standard edition can't go past Stormblood & level 70. I'm sure there's some players who don't want to sit around doing nothing but side content/alt leveling in the meantime, and buying both EW+DT is a bad deal, but it's a slightly less bad deal if EW is on sale.

Definitely seems like they should just make it so the pre-order code of DT would just grant you access to previous xpacs.

In fact we just had someone asking about that... last week? Two?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bruceski posted:

That would have been me, on behalf of my friend :v:

gay devil posted:

I'd imagine legal requirements of having to allow refunds for preorders cause issues there
I kind of assumed there was something about this sort of pre-order that makes it ineligible for refund because they already do give you some bonuses I assume are hard to rescind. MMO expansions are already in a weird bag since in seems like refunds once a product key has been used seem problematic, but seem like still should be legally possible in some regions?

Though if I recall, you don't actually put the product key until real expansion launch right? So early access is a weird period where you can play the expansion, but could theoretically refund?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 13, 2024

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Oh, right.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If I remember right the 16th is supposed to be the updated benchmark along with the liveletter? I'm curious how much the character creator will actually change.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The benchmark won't be before the 23rd but I'm sure he'll show some pictures of changes they're making

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The updated benchmark is scheduled for next week.

quote:

The replacement of the benchmark is currently scheduled for May 23, or later during that week, but we are not yet able to confirm a definite date. My apologies for this.

e: the lodestone post was from two weeks ago so I'm assuming they'll lock in the date for the benchmark during the upcoming live letter though.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 13, 2024

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, you're right. Got my dates confused and thought "oh I know why the 16th was in my head, no need to go check.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Make it Rain doesn't impact the MGP earned from weekly challenges right? It doesn't start till Wednesday, but I'm going to assume there's not much reason to hold off on doing anything MGP related on tuesday?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I went back to look it up, because I couldn't remember who it was, and I wanted to make sure they knew, but then I saw that the version they need is Steam, and welp.

My condolences to your friend.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Make it Rain doesn't impact the MGP earned from weekly challenges right? It doesn't start till Wednesday, but I'm going to assume there's not much reason to hold off on doing anything MGP related on tuesday?

I believe it actually DOES affect challenges.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm ready for the leaks

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing that always kind of confuses me is how 90% of players seem to pass on lower-level dungeon gear. I always greed everything since I can just feed it to the GC (or desynth it, depending on the gear).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that always kind of confuses me is how 90% of players seem to pass on lower-level dungeon gear. I always greed everything since I can just feed it to the GC (or desynth it, depending on the gear).

I'm at a point in my adventuring life where the gain of earning 111 seals from handing a Sastasha piece to the Maestrom does not match the effort required to actually go and hand it to them. And I haven't needed seals for anything is a very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ytlaya posted:

Meanwhile I'm annoyed because every time I spin normal raid roulette it seems to be a game of getting out before you end up with loot tokens you don't want, but meanwhile I'm running Alphascape for glam reasons and everyone keeps outrolling me on the tokens I need :negative: