Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Speaking of builds, the Starry Night might be the hardest I've ever done. Between the fact that you're often working with very similar colour hues and the way you're mostly building up abstract shapes, it definitely feels very different from an average Lego build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Lego sets retiring by the end of the year, with some retiring even sooner at the end of July. Pick them up ASAP if you want them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

RatHat posted:

Lego sets retiring by the end of the year, with some retiring even sooner at the end of July. Pick them up ASAP if you want them.

poo poo, guess I’m finally buying the Seinfeld set soon.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Did the Clone Trooper Station pack ever make it to shelves in any volume? I never actually saw it for sale anywhere.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, they are finally retiring the Saturn V. When it retires at the end of the year, it will have just as long a life as the real Saturn V.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 5, 2022

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Not surprised almost all of the Speed Champions current run are retiring, almost a tacit admission that they suck. There are way too many good looking older cars that would lend themselves to being represented well in brick format to justify wasting time with licenses for cars currently in production.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

of the speed champion sets, half of them a those two packs. each of which retails for,like $50 and contains one cool car and one junk car

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Alarbus posted:

Did the Clone Trooper Station pack ever make it to shelves in any volume? I never actually saw it for sale anywhere.

I have seen them at the Lego store previously but today they just had the Hoth one

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Voice of Labor posted:

of the speed champion sets, half of them a those two packs. each of which retails for,like $50 and contains one cool car and one junk car

don't forget the ones with the junk starting gates

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

RatHat posted:

dang am I gonna talk myself into getting that disney castle

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm curious about the Monuments of the World sets and the Eiffel Tower that are supposed to come later this year but unless they do something completely out of left field (like re-releasing the Emerald Express :pray:) nothing else is really jumping out at me for the time being.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Voice of Labor posted:

I don't understand why they made them two packs. If they thought that the crappier of each pair wouldn't sell on their own, so they needed to be in a pack, why make them at all? I would have bought the classic Corvette and the Ford GT on their own, but I don't want the Corvette GT car and i don't want that ugly Bronco. I most definitely don't want a drat dragster. Did the licensing require them to bundle a car the manufacturers wanted with a car Lego knew people would actually want?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I wanted the bronco but didn't care for the gt. maybe you're meant to split the packs up and trade with a buddy?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Guess I need to pick up the VW bus mk 2 now. Never seen it sold out on the site. The Fiat is sold out and last time it was in stock was only a day or two. I think it's gone. However, you can still get on amazon and target and ebay for about $5 less than the other places. I suspect that stock is going to dry up fairly quickly.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

poo poo, guess I’m finally buying the Seinfeld set soon.

Yeah I'm tempted but I've never thought the set was particularly exciting and I'd just be buying it for the brand recognition. I'll wait until next double VIP or GWP and see how I feel

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Of the 898 pieces in the Technic Test Car, 113 of them are those god-awful 80s black technic pins. My hands are loving shredded :cry:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I've been looking at the Light Cruiser and the Saturn V for a while... retiring the set might trigger my fomo...

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Saturn V is a GOAT set imo just get it

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

I've been looking at the Light Cruiser and the Saturn V for a while... retiring the set might trigger my fomo...

The light cruiser is pretty neat, there's good diorama space up front, but none in the back. The raised bridge makes an excellent handle, and it does sit flat. My kid's more interested in the Falcon because there's more hinged pieces and more people inside. :D

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Saturn V is a top tier set. The entire build is fun. It feels like you're building a real rocket ship as you're building a frame and fuel tanks, and then you stick the skin on. It's truly great.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Futanari Damacy posted:

Not surprised almost all of the Speed Champions current run are retiring, almost a tacit admission that they suck. There are way too many good looking older cars that would lend themselves to being represented well in brick format to justify wasting time with licenses for cars currently in production.

You understand that they put out a new line of speed champs every year, right? This is how it's worked for like the last 5 years

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe
Any got the ISS and wanna give a recommendation? I got the Saturn B already and love it but been bouncing back and forth on the ISS for a while…

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I bought it second hand but new in box from some guy on Facebook marketplace for €15 less than the going rate but having built it I'd have been happy to pay full price. If you have the Saturn V presumably you like space and celebrating what we've sent up there so it's a no brainer IMO. It looks good on a shelf too, it has decent visual presence.

In the same vein I'm currently waffling on the Lunar Lander. I know I want the shuttle at some point but I figure that's got a while to run yet, while the lander's been out for longer and might not have long left.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The lander is also a fun build, but it has stickers unlike the Saturn V.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Saturn V is the set that got me back into Lego after a 25 year hiatus. Not to mention the relatively low price for such a big set. Don’t miss out on it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If you think you want the Saturn V you definitely want the Saturn V.

Trashman posted:

Any got the ISS and wanna give a recommendation? I got the Saturn V already and love it but been bouncing back and forth on the ISS for a while…

It's a good display model, especially since it's large without breaking the bank.

There are a few issues such as the ends sagging a bit (which could be fixed with a larger stand or by hanging it), some scale/accuracy issues (which I feel are minor), and arguably the build experience (this is a matter of preference) but overall I really like it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The ISS is a nice finished model, but I didn't think the build experience was that great. Still, if you're on the fence, have the money, and like the look of the model, I'd say go for it. I certainly don't regret getting it, just a bit of a tedious build.

Saturn V is an all time great and if you have any interest, get it. Fun build, great looking model.

The Lander is pretty cool, and the Shuttle is excellent, to round out the NASA sets.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The ISS is nice to display with the Shuttle and the Saturn V but the scale makes it so you really just see solar panels and truss when you look at it. I didn’t really know what I was building a lot of the time I was building it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The ISS looks cool, but looks like a nightmare to display. Just seems to be asking to fall apart.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

It's pretty sturdy and I've never had any problems with it, I regularly pick it up and move it when I'm dusting and nothing's fallen off. It's fundamentally a solid T shaped bar of technic structure with most of the detail firmly attached with technic pins etc

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Surprisingly Lasership delivered my Optimusses Prime without issue :toot:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm still waiting for a command and service module. :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The only parts of the ISS that ever fall off are the various docked spacecraft, mostly because they’re only attached at single studs by design. It’s a great display piece, way bigger than you’d think.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cojawfee posted:

I'm still waiting for a command and service module. :(

If they ever make a same scale of that for the lander I am buying it day 1.

The lander is a really fun set, but it's slightly more of an actual play set than a pure adult display build. Just slightly but it does have play options which was fun to discover when building.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only parts of the ISS that ever fall off are the various docked spacecraft, mostly because they’re only attached at single studs by design. It’s a great display piece, way bigger than you’d think.

All of the soyuz are attached with technic rods iirc, I guess there's the extra crew modules and shuttle on the base but you can leave them there and don't need to stick them on the Canadarm

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok, thread convinced me I'll get the Saturn V and hum this to myself the whole time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ges3kx7hoUQ

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I finished building the pickup and I highly recommend it. It's a pleasure to build from start to finish. Every section has at least one interesting build technique. It looks really good when completed, too.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
VIP points show up once the order leaves the factory right?

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Never not starfighter.

'Kitsune' Long-Range Fighter

Full gallery at https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72177720299567406