Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

BioTech posted:

Real life horror interrupted my hangover day.
Didn't get to watch The Happiness of the Katakuris, or anything else.
Hope to catch up early next week.

I got around to The Happiness of the Katakuris and........I really expected more.

My problem was that it is way too long. Dug the schizophrenic vibe, but it really felt like there was very little else to it and it just wasn't enough to carry nearly 2 hours.
There were some laughs in there, I even rewinded the part where the great-grandfather accidentally revealed he killed someone and acts confused when the grandfather lets out a surprised "huh?". It barely lasts a second, but it stuck with me.

It is still in my top 5 horror musicals, but that is because I have only seen 6 total and I didn't even remember Sweeney Todd till someone brought it up earlier in the thread. It has Depp and there was a chair with a slide for bodies or something? Maybe I'm thinking off the coffin slide in Bordello of Blood. At least this one will stick with me.

I enjoyed The Lure way more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Twilight Zone either really sucks or is really great depending on who you ask, so that's either disappointing or good to hear.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BioTech posted:

I got around to The Happiness of the Katakuris and........I really expected more.

My problem was that it is way too long. Dug the schizophrenic vibe, but it really felt like there was very little else to it and it just wasn't enough to carry nearly 2 hours.
There were some laughs in there, I even rewinded the part where the great-grandfather accidentally revealed he killed someone and acts confused when the grandfather lets out a surprised "huh?". It barely lasts a second, but it stuck with me.

It is still in my top 5 horror musicals, but that is because I have only seen 6 total and I didn't even remember Sweeney Todd till someone brought it up earlier in the thread. It has Depp and there was a chair with a slide for bodies or something? Maybe I'm thinking off the coffin slide in Bordello of Blood. At least this one will stick with me.

I enjoyed The Lure way more.

gently caress you

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

gently caress you

Hey now, that's a bit undignified in the castration scene thread don't you think? We don't say gently caress you here, we call either other posers. Much classier.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Basebf555 posted:

Hey now, that's a bit undignified in the castration scene thread don't you think? We don't say gently caress you here, we call either other posers. Much classier.

you are right, I am sorry

ahem

gently caress you, poser

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The trick to enjoying any Miike movie is to have absolutely no expectations regarding it's merit, both technically and artistically. You could be getting 13 Assassins, Dead or Alive 3 or Sukyaki Western Django (:barf:). Is he even a real person or just a pseudonym used by a bunch of Japanese directors?

edit: Also let's be nice in the Horror thread and not tell anyone to gently caress themselves unless they have an opinion that I personally strongly disagree with ok?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

married but discreet posted:

The trick to enjoying any Miike movie is to have absolutely no expectations regarding it's merit, both technically and artistically. You could be getting 13 Assassins, Dead or Alive 3 or Sukyaki Western Django (:barf:). Is he even a real person or just a pseudonym used by a bunch of Japanese directors?

edit: Also let's be nice in the Horror thread and not tell anyone to gently caress themselves unless they have an opinion that I personally strongly disagree with ok?

Yeah, I am not sure if you could even claim Miike is talented as much as he just plays the odds that if makes 5 movies a year at least some of them will be good

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sono > Miike is my Cined contrarian corner take.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Apparently Miike has started directing live action magical girl idol shows and that probably makes me more uncomfortable than anything else he has been a part of

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Yeah but making "Manga! But live action! With all the stupid manga poo poo intact!" Is like more his thing than horror is. So, could be good? Dude made loving Ace Attorney into live action and its amazing.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

gently caress you

Only one way to solve this. Watch The Lure and let me know what you think.

You might've liked The Happiness of the Katakuris more than I did, but we could still both agree The Lure is better.

weekly font posted:

Sono > Miike is my Cined contrarian corner take.

I really dug Why Don't You Play in Hell?, but sticking with the musical theme, I still have no idea what to think of Tokyo Tribes.
Rap battle musical where the entire gang war is based on the fact that one dude has a small penis and got insecure when he saw someone else naked at the onsen.

Either way, 13 Assassins means Miike gets my vote.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I've seen the Lure and it is absolutely the more technologically accomplished film but Happiness is a pure distillation of Miikes filmmaking philosophy of "gently caress it, I'ma do it"

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Into the dark's "I'm loving with you" was alright. More of a comedy than horror.

I did enjoy the Chester character though.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

LMAO at the posers itt watching horror musicals instead of the superior work of Lucio Fulci and Stuart Gordon :smuggo:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

LMAO at the posers itt watching horror musicals instead of the superior work of Lucio Fulci and Stuart Gordon :smuggo:

I would watch the gently caress out of a Stuart Gordon musical

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like Stuart Gordon could've succeeded at any type of movie he wanted to make so it's a shame he never really broke out of the horror box. Like Raimi, I think his skills are very transferable to other genres.

Actually Stuck seemed like a departure for him, but I haven't seen it. I should track that down at some point.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Fulci musical please

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MacheteZombie posted:

Fulci musical please

Your Vice is a Locked Room And Only I Am In Key.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

MacheteZombie posted:

Fulci musical please

I'd go see it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Monkey's Paw

Fulci musical but the music is not by Fabio Frizzi

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would watch the gently caress out of a Stuart Gordon musical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_w21ET0GlM

Here.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ahem

That is a musical about a Stuart Gordon film not a musical directed by Stuart Gordon

GOSH

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ahem

That is a musical about a Stuart Gordon film not a musical directed by Stuart Gordon

GOSH

Stuart Gordon produced and directed the musical.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

well all loving right

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

ruddiger posted:

Stuart Gordon produced and directed the musical.

Yeah. Gordon is first and foremost a theater nerd. I'm sure this stuff will never be recreated, but his college days sound wild.

Gordon attended the University of Wisconsin and soon after formed Screw Theater. In March 1967 Gordon produced The Game Show at the UW Memorial Union. The play, intended to be an attack on apathy, locked the audience in the theater and seemingly humiliated, beat and raped them (audience plants were used.) Every performance ended with the audience rioting and stopping the show. He then formed Screw Theater in the summer of 1968 and produced and directed four shows, the final one, in the fall of 1968, a political version of Peter Pan that got him and his future wife arrested for obscenity. The story made national headlines until the charges were dropped in November 1968. As Gordon described it in a 2001 interview:

"I had been protesting against the war in Viet Nam, and got tear-gassed by the Chicago police, and it suddenly struck me that you could take Peter Pan and turn it into a political cartoon about the whole situation. So, Peter Pan became the leader of the hippies and yippies, Captain Hook became Mayor Daley, and the pirates became the Chicago police. We left all of the James Barrie dialogue intact, so when they all went off to Neverland they sprinkled pixie dust on themselves and think lovely thoughts, and up they go. That was an acid trip, which was visualized by a psychedelic light show that was projected onto the bodies of seven naked young ladies..."

Also, after Re-Animator: The Musical:

quote:

Gordon's next play Taste, premiered at Los Angeles' Sacred Fools Theater Company in April 2014. The play, based on the true story of Armin Meiwes, the Rotenburg Cannibal, was written by Benjamin Brand.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Stryder posted:

[b]Gordon attended the University of Wisconsin and soon after formed Screw Theater. In March 1967 Gordon produced The Game Show at the UW Memorial Union. The play, intended to be an attack on apathy, locked the audience in the theater and seemingly humiliated, beat and raped them (audience plants were used.) Every performance ended with the audience rioting and stopping the show.

Reminds me of Hi, Mom!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like Stuart Gordon could've succeeded at any type of movie he wanted to make so it's a shame he never really broke out of the horror box. Like Raimi, I think his skills are very transferable to other genres.

Actually Stuck seemed like a departure for him, but I haven't seen it. I should track that down at some point.

Stuck is good as hell. He had a mini resurgence doing grimy crime thrillers with that, Edmond and King of the Ants. Stuck is probably the best but they’re all good.

As far as the idea of him doing a musical, he did get his start in theater (Edmond is a David Mamet adaptation and I think he was adjacent to that whole crew back in the day) (edit: I see I was kinda beaten to this one)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A Werewolf transformation that went unmentioned by the Nameless Cults podcast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H3PRSg8ReM

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Re-watching it for the first time in a while, I never appreciated how much The New York Ripper owes most of their success to the victims just staying still for a minute straight.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hello. Here is a picture of Matthew McConaughey walking down the street wearing a $250 Jason Vorhees mask necklace.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fart City posted:

Hello. Here is a picture of Matthew McConaughey walking down the street wearing a $250 Jason Vorhees mask necklace.

Matthew McConaughowns

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Re-watching it for the first time in a while, I never appreciated how much The New York Ripper owes most of their success to the victims just staying still for a minute straight.

Are you saying they should.... duck?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Fart City posted:

*Sean Cunninghamishly*: you'll be hearing from my attorney

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Just finished sitting through All Through the House. It's a Christmas slasher flick that's either aiming for or is an homage to the early 80s era slashers. While not perfect, I think it comes fairly close. Story begins with the slasher arriving to the neighborhood, steals a Santa costume and mask, and promptly starts off on a murder and castration spree. Seriously, I think this one has the most castrations I've seen in a film. At the same time Rachel arrives at her grandmother's house in the neighborhood to visit and catch up with old friends, then get caught up in helping the weird next door neighbor Mrs. Garrett who's never been the same since her husband and child went missing.

There's a definite undercurrent of sleeze when the old buried secrets start getting dug up, and considering everything that happens, the ending fits. Some of the acting's a bit flat but it's hard to say whether that's from the actors or the script needing a bit more polish. Overall, I thought it wasn't bad. I'll probably be adding it to my Christmas Horror viewing so it's not a couple Krampus films, evil Saint Nicholaus, Black Christmas, Gremlins, and a block of Silent Night, Deadly Nights.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

Just finished sitting through All Through the House. It's a Christmas slasher flick that's either aiming for or is an homage to the early 80s era slashers. While not perfect, I think it comes fairly close. Story begins with the slasher arriving to the neighborhood, steals a Santa costume and mask, and promptly starts off on a murder and castration spree. Seriously, I think this one has the most castrations I've seen in a film. At the same time Rachel arrives at her grandmother's house in the neighborhood to visit and catch up with old friends, then get caught up in helping the weird next door neighbor Mrs. Garrett who's never been the same since her husband and child went missing.

There's a definite undercurrent of sleeze when the old buried secrets start getting dug up, and considering everything that happens, the ending fits. Some of the acting's a bit flat but it's hard to say whether that's from the actors or the script needing a bit more polish. Overall, I thought it wasn't bad. I'll probably be adding it to my Christmas Horror viewing so it's not a couple Krampus films, evil Saint Nicholaus, Black Christmas, Gremlins, and a block of Silent Night, Deadly Nights.

Have you not seen Christmas Evil? If not you're in for a treat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1110394695761444864

:ughh:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Only thing that's elevated horror is the movie Hellavator

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/rox_anne_b/status/1112750056250077184

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's just a symptom of how the average person in America still tends to think of "horror" and "80's slasher" as synonyms, and so anything that has a little more to it(like good cinematography, performances, etc) has to be considered some brand new category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Like god drat I know movie critics have to sign a waiver when they get hired that they'll only review horror movies negatively but this is embarrassing.

Hollismason posted:

Only thing that's elevated horror is the movie Hellavator

:discourse: