Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Everything must be paperclips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Is there a way to assimilate organics if you are not a driven assimilator or a previously organic species that went through with synthetic evolution?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

So what's the ship meta these days, missiles?

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

Axetrain posted:

So what's the ship meta these days, missiles?

Also interested in fleet meta. I haven't played since before frigates were introduced. Help me not get droplet'd.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Is there a mod that adds actual civ/ck style spreadable religions? I never liked how all fundie civs immediately love each other just bc the idea of being theocratic even for a completely different religion was so appealing

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

Religious robots/AI in general is just a cool concept that should be explored more, reckon it's always gonna be a bit vague/obfuscated in Stellaris.

There's the Asimov short story where some robots get religion and the US Robotics crew try (and fail) to convince them that they weren't divinely created.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
The flesh bags yearn for the lathe.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Is there a mod that adds actual civ/ck style spreadable religions? I never liked how all fundie civs immediately love each other just bc the idea of being theocratic even for a completely different religion was so appealing

It makes sense to me because the blobs that worship the will of the cosmos as expressed through a very fancy random number generator still have more in common with the flock of butterflies who reanimate the dead than they do the giant slugs who think materialism isn't a religion it's just common sense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In real life, religious fanatics loathe religious fanatics of a different religion moreso than they do averagely religious people. Heck, wars have been fought over obscure interpretations of scripture within the same religion. They might "have a lot in common" but that absolutely doesn't mean they'd get along.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Stellaris isn’t designed to get hyper granular on something like Spiritualism. It’s just one ethic of many, it doesn’t warrant getting an in depth religion mechanic that is of outsized importance compared to equivalent ethics.

Spiritualism is vague by design. Headcanon it as you please. You CAN get along with other Spiritualism cive and roleplay it as your religion spreading or you can elect not to.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

All You Can Eat posted:

Also interested in fleet meta. I haven't played since before frigates were introduced. Help me not get droplet'd.

Some mix of focused arc emitter battleships with missiles and hanger bays, torpedo cruisers, and line destroyers if your opponents are spamming corvettes or frigates. You want to go harder on the FAE battleships against fallen empires, and harder on pickett/line destroyers against normal empires because the AI really loves spamming frigates pretty late into the game.

But yeah, missiles, normal and whirlwind are better than everything else right now. Torpedo destroyers are also good if you're going the normal crisis path.

Disruptor corvette swarms can also be pretty good, if the goal is to continuously force the enemy to disengage. Forcing AI opponents to retreat forever so you can invade their planets is a decent way to acquire territory at a lower alloy investment compared to fleets mainly comprised of bigger ships.

edit: due to the change with armor giving way more hit points than shields, kinetic weapons are more or less unusable, and missiles/strike craft outperform most energy weapons. There's an argument to be made for the x slot lance over the FAE if you're playing against human opponents, but the AI generally doesn't add hardening components so energy repeatables buff the FAE harder as the game goes on.

Angrymantium fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 13, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The arbitrariness is part of the point, really, though they definitely could do to adjust a lot of flavour text to go with different empire types. There is to a degree a clear intended tone and throughline to a lot of the lore, just intended to be as loose as they can manage.

Thing is about ethics is that having Spiritualism or Materialism isn't just about being especially more or less religious, it's specifically about how your society and government is set up, and lots of government types imply that Spiritualism means that your government is at least partly officially tied into religious institutions and hierarchy. Which historically they very often were among humans, see the Roman state religion and the Anglican church. Materialism implicitly suggests the obvious, a government that may not be just secular but actively pursues an atheistic state policy. (I think implicitly based on perceptions of the USSR and Communist China)

I think that there isn't much of what you'd call religious conflict between Spiritualist empires and factions is probably a gameplay concession, since it'd be something specific to Spiritualist that'd be difficult to replicate equivalents of with other ethics without getting extra granular. Might also be that even different religious traditions can feel they have more in common with each other than with secular and atheist institutions. (Especially since religion is very often clearly used as a tool of realpolitik)

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Put that way that makes sense, since it’d be a mechanic that would be largely irrelevant to 5/6 civs

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Clarste posted:

In real life, religious fanatics loathe religious fanatics of a different religion moreso than they do averagely religious people. Heck, wars have been fought over obscure interpretations of scripture within the same religion. They might "have a lot in common" but that absolutely doesn't mean they'd get along.

Not necessarily - there's been plenty of religions in history that were willing to accept or at least tolerate other groups having their own gods and rituals, at least to the point of not going to war over that alone. Christianity was the exception rather than the rule.

After all, pretty much everyone prayed to gods for safety and prosperity, even if they differed in their specific rituals and legends. In a lot of religions, as long as you paid some respect to the local gods, the locals generally wouldn't give too much of a poo poo about any other gods you were worshipping on the side.

On the other hands, running into a atheist Materialist who doesn't pray to any gods at all and thinks you're a bunch of inefficient weirdoes who're wasting your time with all that worship would be rather unpleasant regardless of your religion's particular views on non-worshippers. And if you ran into a militant atheist Fanatic Materialist who'd barely be able to hold back from openly mocking you as backwards, superstitious fools, it's likely the conversation wouldn't be too pleasant!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Angrymantium posted:

Some mix of focused arc emitter battleships with missiles and hanger bays, torpedo cruisers, and line destroyers if your opponents are spamming corvettes or frigates. You want to go harder on the FAE battleships against fallen empires, and harder on pickett/line destroyers against normal empires because the AI really loves spamming frigates pretty late into the game.

But yeah, missiles, normal and whirlwind are better than everything else right now. Torpedo destroyers are also good if you're going the normal crisis path.

Disruptor corvette swarms can also be pretty good, if the goal is to continuously force the enemy to disengage. Forcing AI opponents to retreat forever so you can invade their planets is a decent way to acquire territory at a lower alloy investment compared to fleets mainly comprised of bigger ships.

edit: due to the change with armor giving way more hit points than shields, kinetic weapons are more or less unusable, and missiles/strike craft outperform most energy weapons. There's an argument to be made for the x slot lance over the FAE if you're playing against human opponents, but the AI generally doesn't add hardening components so energy repeatables buff the FAE harder as the game goes on.

Is any of the Archaeotech good if you can afford it

I resent FAE being in vogue still because it’s so boring :[

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

How does an enemy keep generating hundreds of thousands of favors from me, so they can defeat a resolution in the senate? This is the second time they've done this to defeat this specific resolution, which is Advanced Xenostudies.

Normally, they have a diplomatic weight of 5k, currently they have 111k because they have 106k favors from me.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

If you take the perk archeotech is very good, but if you're stuck with only a trickle of artifacts it effectively hamstrings you, meaning it becomes a trap pick without a ruined ecu.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lexorin posted:

How does an enemy keep generating hundreds of thousands of favors from me, so they can defeat a resolution in the senate? This is the second time they've done this to defeat this specific resolution, which is Advanced Xenostudies.

Normally, they have a diplomatic weight of 5k, currently they have 111k because they have 106k favors from me.

There are several ways to do that but the most likely and straightforward one is

from the Diplomacy Tradition tree and maybe also

IIRC, you can also get favors via espionage.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Captain Oblivious posted:

The nano-cloud missiles are absurdly good, you can put three of them on 90% evasion corvettes and absolutely crush battleships and titans late game that can't shoot them down when they get too close.

I've seen arguments that the ancient ruination glare is worth it on titans but the fact that it halves their range on the slowest ships in the game has me skeptical.

The ancient webslinger (archaeotech point defense/flak combo) is very good on destroyers, and the pulse armor is worth putting on anything you can afford to. I haven't seen a math breakdown on the final effect on the archaeotech weapons with the 33% bonus from the ascension perk, but the nano cloud missiles are the only ones that are a clear step ahead of their counterparts, even without the perk.

Montu also ranked the driller drone strike craft replacement pretty high on his last weapon tier list but I really don't agree that they're worth the extra resource cost over tier 3 strike craft.

But yeah, FAEs are kind of inevitably in vogue in a game with repeatables for everything but hull HP, though with the tech nerf getting to energy weapon repeatables takes a lot longer than it used to. Still, given a long enough game time, nothing really beats hitting your opponent straight in the hull from long range, with a swarm of strike craft and missiles barreling in as a follow up right now.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Jack Trades posted:

There are several ways to do that but the most likely and straightforward one is

from the Diplomacy Tradition tree and maybe also

IIRC, you can also get favors via espionage.

I get that, but 100,000+ favors in less than 20 years seems a bit much.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I believe favors give you an amount of weight based on the weight of the empire you cash them in from, not 1. So if you have a lot of weight and they have a lot of favors on you, this happens.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lexorin posted:

I get that, but 100,000+ favors in less than 20 years seems a bit much.

That's not how favors work.
You can store up to 10 favors for each empire and every favor is 10% of their diplomatic weight. So if someone has 10 favors from you then they'll be able to assign 100% of your diplomatic weight.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

FrancisFukyomama posted:

There are. I'm having trouble finding the one I had the most experience with (several patches ago, it may not even exist anymore), but this current one Cosmic Religions seems pretty good: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2494906618

quote:

Mod adds to the game 8 religious systems that gives small bonuses: animism, monotheism, polytheism, god-emperor, pantheism, secularism, atheism and materialism.
The religious affiliation of the population is not constant, but changes with time.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Did not realise that Cosmogenesis was for tall empires. Embarking 56 colonies by hand took decades, even with gateways everywhere.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Talkie Toaster posted:

Did not realise that Cosmogenesis was for tall empires. Embarking 56 colonies by hand took decades, even with gateways everywhere.

Just feed your excess to the lathe and shutter the colonies.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Orbs posted:

There are. I'm having trouble finding the one I had the most experience with (several patches ago, it may not even exist anymore), but this current one Cosmic Religions seems pretty good: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2494906618

I'm sorry, but this seems to be the dumbest mod I've ever seen. Materialism and Atheism aren't religions, what? :psyduck:

God-Emperor and Secularism aren't religions either, of course.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Libluini posted:

I'm sorry, but this seems to be the dumbest mod I've ever seen. Materialism and Atheism aren't religions, what? :psyduck:

God-Emperor and Secularism aren't religions either, of course.
Those are styles of religion, answers to the "religion?" question that are intended to be more in-depth than just spiritualist/materialist. Not religions themselves.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 13, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gotta love this game, the raiders who are neighbours only to me have united under the Great Khan, and my Luminary just staggered off screen. I sense fun incoming.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Clarste posted:

Me in the old thread by way of Emo Philips posted:

Once I saw this scientist by a black hole about to talk to The Worm. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "The Shroud loves you. Do you believe in The Shroud?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Spiritualist or a Fanatic Spiritualist?" He said, "A Fanatic Spiritualist." I said, "Me, too! Xenophobe or Militarist?" He said, "Militarist." I said, "Me, too! What government?" He said, "Dictatorship." I said, "Me, too! Divine Mandate or Military Dictatorship?" He said, "Divine Mandate." I said, "Me, too!"

"Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons, or Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Kinetic Weapons?" He said, "Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons." I said, "Me, too! Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Warp or Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Hyperlanes?" He said, "Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Hyperlanes." I said, "Me, too! Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Hyperlanes with Deviant, or Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Hyperlanes without Deviant?" He said "Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Hyperlanes without Deviant." I said, "Die, xeno scum!" And I purged him.

E: and IIRC the reason the Romans had big beef with the Christians is because instead of the standard "My Gods can beat up your Gods" the christians were all "Your gods aren't real" which was Not Done.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 13, 2024

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack Trades posted:

That's not how favors work.
You can store up to 10 favors for each empire and every favor is 10% of their diplomatic weight. So if someone has 10 favors from you then they'll be able to assign 100% of your diplomatic weight.
Duplicate, not assign. They can cancel you out but not swing you the other way.

Unless it changed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

Duplicate, not assign. They can cancel you out but not swing you the other way.

Unless it changed.

Yeah, my bad, you're correct.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Seems real bad if you have two+ empires that can do it. It's a real shame, But... I guess I know what I have to do.

(Murder. The answer is always murder)

Also, thanks for the info on favor, I thought it was a 1 to 1 and relatively useless because of it. While it sucks it being used against me, it's nice to know for future personal abuse.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 13, 2024

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gotta love this game, the raiders who are neighbours only to me have united under the Great Khan, and my Luminary just staggered off screen. I sense fun incoming.

This happened to me but thankfully I had invested heavily in kilostructures so the tithe for being a satrapy was easily mitigated and I just waited them out

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Angrymantium posted:

I played a game this weekend and it looks like Machine Age added shield hardening to Fallen Empires with some as high as 80%. I tried 5 fleets of 1 Titan with the shield reduction aura and 30 FAE/Hanger/Missile battleships against them and only lost about 15 battleships, but there may be a new meta on the horizon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So a heads up: The Message in a Bottle archaeology site is unique in that it can attach it’s minor artifact deposit to the star itself in the system.

Dyson Swarms do not care what the star generates.

I am generating 120 minor artifacts per month and just use archaeotech on everything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the way I did it at least once was have a specific fleet and models for Archaeotech ships (and that there's an Admiral skill to improve use of Archaeotech weapons seems to encourage this) and keep the vanilla ones around that can be cranked out with regular materials in a rush.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Orbs posted:

Those are styles of religion, answers to the "religion?" question that are intended to be more in-depth than just spiritualist/materialist. Not religions themselves.

Materialism and Atheism aren't. You can be materialist and animist, for example. At the same time. "Atheist" just means you don't believe in the concept of a god, and this can run the whole gamut between highly religious animists who just don't believe in a big god ruling over everything, down to people who reject the very concept of religion, you can't really mix that with anything since it is already everything minus gods

Also, can you have an Atheist God-Emperor? If your answer is "Yes", I may start to respect this mod

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Splicer posted:

E: and IIRC the reason the Romans had big beef with the Christians is because instead of the standard "My Gods can beat up your Gods" the christians were all "Your gods aren't real" which was Not Done.

I think it would be more accurate to say that traditional roman religion came into conflict with Christianity due to a combination of social and structural factors. Christianity started out as a religious movement in the East, particularly popular among the very poorest, including women and slaves, and as it became steadily more popular in urban centres as time went on, Christianity remained rare among senatorial romans. It was non-traditional, it was oriental, it was a thing of the poor, and it was corrupting romans by attempting to convert them, all things that made it particularly unappealing to the leading class of the roman empire. Judaism was some of those things but not all, and crucially it wasn't trying to convert romans and it was recognised as a tradition with a long-standing history, two things Christianity markedly was not. Then the spread of new religions into the army and the largely equite bureaucracy made the situation ripe for moral panic.

As the empire began to spiral downwards into constant internal conflict, traditional roman religion itself got markedly less tolerant as various emperors started taking up the idea that religious unity was necessary for the stability of the state. The first major persecution took place when the Emperor Decius demanded that every Roman citizen sacrifice to the Roman gods. There was a carveout for Jews, but the Christians had no such luck--they were Romans, so as far as the Emperor cared their gods were the Roman gods, whether they liked it or not. What was important wasn't really whether you believed your god could beat up the romans' gods, it was whether your beliefs would restrict you from sacrificing to the roman gods. That extended right through to Diocletian's persecutions, and when the empire flipped Christian with Constantine and his successors, that belief in the importance of religious unity never went away, so it just got flipped right back onto the pagans.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Libluini posted:

Materialism and Atheism aren't. You can be materialist and animist, for example. At the same time. "Atheist" just means you don't believe in the concept of a god, and this can run the whole gamut between highly religious animists who just don't believe in a big god ruling over everything, down to people who reject the very concept of religion, you can't really mix that with anything since it is already everything minus gods

They aren't religions but they're ideas that fill the "what do you believe/think/feel about all this metaphysical bullshit?" slot

Libluini posted:

Also, can you have an Atheist God-Emperor? If your answer is "Yes", I may start to respect this mod

Isn't that just a particular way to interpret a god-emperor? Agnostic or athiest toward magical intangible entities that never answer prayers so whether they truly exist is impossible to determine and irrelevant either way; but hey there's this physical being and you can write him a letter and he'll actually helicopter over and eat a cheeseburger and bang your wife, or take whatever other offerings you give, which proves that he definitely exists.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

It's been very cool conquering three arc furnaces I previously didn't even know existed from my neighbor. That's what they get for attacking my vassal--on their border opposite me--and sending all their fleets that way.