Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Grapeshot posted:

I did decently at yard sales today at least. Found NiGHTS and MadWorld for the Wii. Passed up a copy of Neo Contra at another sale because the guy wanted $5 but I should probably have gotten it.

I also bought a Sony VHS and DVD recorder combo deck because it had HDMI out and actually plays VHS over that output too. Unfortunately the optical drive doesn't want to read disks but that's the way it goes.

You passed up the chance to witness this in person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yudAApBH3dw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A seller posted on a local video game buy/sell/trade group on Facebook that he's offering a 3DO in good condition with 2 controllers and 5 games for $150. Good deal, bad deal....?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

That's a really expensive doorstop.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Depends if it works. I'm on my 4th 3DO because the CD drive is junk.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

A seller posted on a local video game buy/sell/trade group on Facebook that he's offering a 3DO in good condition with 2 controllers and 5 games for $150. Good deal, bad deal....?

Spend the money on good games for good systems

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

d0s posted:

Spend the money on good games for good systems
What are the highlights of the 3DO library? Gex? Need for Speed?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

david_a posted:

I think it's mostly Road Rash and then a few couple of good arcade ports and kooky FMV games

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Potentially stupid question. Found a cheap price but the seller says one of the inputs is svhs. As far as I can tell svhs was a video format that required svideo and not Some weird other format. Am I right?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Today was a pretty good day for game auctions, I saw a boxed Sega CD! It was a far better day for sleeping in though so I didn't go.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ambitious Spider posted:

Potentially stupid question. Found a cheap price but the seller says one of the inputs is svhs. As far as I can tell svhs was a video format that required svideo and not Some weird other format. Am I right?

Pretty sure he means it has S-Video in (or out, depending on the device in question). SVHS was just a better-quality-than-VHS format which could use, but did not explicitly require, S-Video.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I've never heard of SVHS before, did it end up incorporated into standard VHS players or was it never widely adopted?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Cliff Racer posted:

I've never heard of SVHS before, did it end up incorporated into standard VHS players or was it never widely adopted?

I thought at one point SVHS tapes couldn't be played back on normal VHS players, but towards the end of the VHS era I thought there were some VHS recorders that supported SVHS tape playback even if they didn't support SVHS recording.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

It was backwards-compatible in that all the decks played regular VHS tapes no problem, but it was extremely niche and never had any commercial movie releases I don't think. It was pretty much only useful for recording, and by extension you needed something which was high enough quality in the first place to record from, like satellite, at a time when few people had anything beyond basic cable. From what I remember, it was mostly used for trading satellite recordings in the late 90's from people who were super-serious about picture and sound quality (I think maybe some MST3K episode rips online might be from SVHS recordings? Not 100% sure), and for "bootlegging" LaserDiscs for similar reasons (its picture quality was I think more or less equal to LD). I think Betamax had an S-Beta format, too, which was even higher quality, but look at how niche Beta was and you have some idea on how scarce this was.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
S-VHS tape recordings aren't playable in a regular VHS VCR, but a regular VHS VCR can use an S-VHS tape to record normal VHS format - and it'll hold up better because S-VHS tapes are inherently higher quality for your recording (kinda like how there were the really cheap cassette tapes that wore out faster and had tons of hiss versus the later ones that lasted longer and had much less).

There WERE S-VHS prerecorded movies, but they had very narrow release. You can check out USENET archives from the 90s and find people who had bought them from specialty companies. There seems to have been less than a hundred, possibly less than 50. Also, S-VHS is definitely higher quality than Laserdisc, which makes it excellent for dubbing Laserdisc releases so you don't need to flip discs (you lose the random access features though).

fishmech fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 24, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

univbee posted:

Pretty sure he means it has S-Video in (or out, depending on the device in question). SVHS was just a better-quality-than-VHS format which could use, but did not explicitly require, S-Video.
Yeah, pretty sure this is all it means. Odds are pretty good it's just S-Video.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Are there any gaming youtube channels like one credit champ that showcase arcade games with a bit of commentary? Seems like there's so many arcade games that never got a home port or look so drastically different it would be nice to see people play them / talk about them.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

fishmech posted:

S-VHS tape recordings aren't playable in a regular VHS VCR, but a regular VHS VCR can use an S-VHS tape to record normal VHS format - and it'll hold up better because S-VHS tapes are inherently higher quality for your recording (kinda like how there were the really cheap cassette tapes that wore out faster and had tons of hiss versus the later ones that lasted longer and had much less).

There WERE S-VHS prerecorded movies, but they had very narrow release. You can check out USENET archives from the 90s and find people who had bought them from specialty companies. There seems to have been less than a hundred, possibly less than 50. Also, S-VHS is definitely higher quality than Laserdisc, which makes it excellent for dubbing Laserdisc releases so you don't need to flip discs (you lose the random access features though).

Then there was D-VHS, which had pre-recorded HD movies under the D-Theater label from 2002-2004. It was the first way to get home video in HD, before HD-DVD and Blu-ray I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiu0LPeLQPE

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I will point out that not all S-Video connectors are the same. I've seen video monitors on Ebay (mainly from JVC) that don't use the common "4 pin" S-Video connector.

This is from the back of a JVC TM-1400SU, for instance:

But odds are, it's going to be normal S-Video.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Any particular recommendations for a good male-to-male SCART cable? The SCART switch I got from RetroRGB didn't come with one, so I used up the one I had intended to use with my Dreamcast's Toro - just a cheapo one I picked up from Sainsbury when I vacationed in England almost two years ago. I want to assume any cheapo one on Amazon is good, but expecting that's not actually the case.

Also gonna need to get a separate Nintendo Multi-AV SCART cable for the NES mod I'm having done - can probably just crib it from the SNES or N64 in the interim, but I notice retro_console_accessories isn't selling in as large a volume as she once was - one active auction, one completed auction, and that's it.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Shadow Hog posted:

Any particular recommendations for a good male-to-male SCART cable? The SCART switch I got from RetroRGB didn't come with one, so I used up the one I had intended to use with my Dreamcast's Toro - just a cheapo one I picked up from Sainsbury when I vacationed in England almost two years ago. I want to assume any cheapo one on Amazon is good, but expecting that's not actually the case.

I think your biggest concern will probably be making sure the cable you get is fully-wired for RGB. That said, it's hard to say what's good and not, especially since SCART is a pretty old and now essentially obsolete cable type, leaving the market to the more obscure manufacturers who may or may not cut corners. Just get one that looks solid, isn't overly expensive, and (preferably) that mentions all 21 pins being connected, and you'll probably be all right?

Shadow Hog posted:

Also gonna need to get a separate Nintendo Multi-AV SCART cable for the NES mod I'm having done - can probably just crib it from the SNES or N64 in the interim, but I notice retro_console_accessories isn't selling in as large a volume as she once was - one active auction, one completed auction, and that's it.

I've been quite happy with these, cheap as they are:

http://www.play-asia.com/rgb-scart-cable-175m/13/7064

I'm sure someone will spout out a bunch of videophile reasons for why it's no good, but whatever. There is also Retrogamingcables.co.uk as an option for your cabling needs.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Speaking of SCART does anyone know where to get a panel-mount female SCART connector from the US? I know it's a weird thing to ask but I figure if it exists someone in this thread will know about it

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Shadow Hog posted:

Retrogamingcables.uk is a good place for SCART cables, and they carry a 5' SCART connector for about $10:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/scart-male-to-scart-male-21-pin-wired-euroscart-for-sale?search=scart%20male

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Shadow Hog posted:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/scart-male-to-scart-male-21-pin-wired-euroscart-for-sale?search=scart%20male

I actually just got this exact cable to use with the same scart switch. Neither are here yet, but when they get here I can post about quality. Like Monitor Burn said this seems like it should be good.

You might also want to look into a vga to bnc if you're going to a pvm. I picked one up from monoprice for like 10 bucks.

This way I can run games from the switch to my pvm and xrgb at the same time.

beaver_cheese fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 25, 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

Bad deal. I got a FZ-1 "untested" off ebay with the intent of doing a big effortpost on fixing optical drives only to find it was fully operational. The system was like $60 and I got a goldstar controller for $20. The controllers are rear end so I got a PSX/2 converter from tototek and use that when I need some road rash in my life.

Edit: WHOA when did tommy make a FDS stick? http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_35&products_id=198

Looks like his has a boot menu that's pretty neat!

Oh, nevermind. Guess he's the international distributor and I need to update mine!

flyboi fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 25, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

david_a posted:

Sid Meier's CPU Bach. It's a glorified screensaver, but pretty much the best screensaver in existence. Also an honest-to-god 3DO exclusive.

Lucienne's Quest. The only decent JRPG that got a western release, so of course it's obscenely expensive now.

I haven't played Star Control II, but the 3DO version is supposed to be the best one.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 25, 2016

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
Back when S-VHS came out it was the first thing to really use S-Video, so lots of people mislabelled S-Video connectors as SVHS. This was because opposed to VHS, S-VHS actually carries seperate Luma and Chroma, just like S-Video, so you can see where that mistake comes from.
S-VHS was also what made public access TV possible because it doesnt degrade as insanely as VHS when copying from tape to tape, so editing video without paying a lot for Betacam or U-Matic became possible.
The professional 7-pin connector will usually be labelled as Y/C and same as with BNC you can get converters for cheap pretty much anywhere

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Back when I was growing up, my dad was really big into volunteering at the local Cable Access channel. He announced for local games and at one point ran the studio itself. Anyway, my point here is two-fold:

1. S-VHS was pretty much exclusively what we used to record stuff. This is the only time I encountered the format.
2. My only IRL Amiga experiences involve playing games in the cable van using the A2000 or whatever it was we typically used for video toaster. I distinctly remember one Saturday morning during football season that I went out, started the van, booted up the computer, and played some lovely games that came with an amazing European Amiga gaming mag. More than one was about killing smurfs for some reason.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Back when I was growing up, my dad was really big into volunteering at the local Cable Access channel. He announced for local games and at one point ran the studio itself. Anyway, my point here is two-fold:

1. S-VHS was pretty much exclusively what we used to record stuff. This is the only time I encountered the format.
2. My only IRL Amiga experiences involve playing games in the cable van using the A2000 or whatever it was we typically used for video toaster. I distinctly remember one Saturday morning during football season that I went out, started the van, booted up the computer, and played some lovely games that came with an amazing European Amiga gaming mag. More than one was about killing smurfs for some reason.

The smurf thing was kind of a meme before memes were a thing. That (and Barney) were popular Doom mods back in the day.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Double posting, not giving a gently caress. So 8bitdo the makers of those bluetooth NES/SNES/FC gamepads released a new product

http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-nes/

A wireless receiver for NES that lets you use their controllers or other various bluetooth controllers on your NES

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

Double posting, not giving a gently caress. So 8bitdo the makers of those bluetooth NES/SNES/FC gamepads released a new product

http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-nes/

A wireless receiver for NES that lets you use their controllers or other various bluetooth controllers on your NES

Oh thank Christ, confirmed working on an Analogue NT.

In all seriousness I really hope they get this going for SNES and other popular systems (Genesis/MD, TG16)

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 25, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Picked up a good number of NES/N64/SNES games at PAX, effectively replacing all of the missing titles that I had as a child that somehow someway was lost to the ether when I got those systems back. I think the only thing I'm missing now is TMNT IV but the only copy I saw was going for like $65. After cleaning them up the only one that I still can't get to work is Zelda 1 which is really annoying because that might have been the one I was looking forward to getting the most! I'll have to give it a go with the metal polish one more time I guess.

I also wanted to get some official N64 controllers but the only ones I could find were going for like $45 when you can get ones on ebay for like half that price.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

Picked up a good number of NES/N64/SNES games at PAX, effectively replacing all of the missing titles that I had as a child that somehow someway was lost to the ether when I got those systems back. I think the only thing I'm missing now is TMNT IV but the only copy I saw was going for like $65. After cleaning them up the only one that I still can't get to work is Zelda 1 which is really annoying because that might have been the one I was looking forward to getting the most! I'll have to give it a go with the metal polish one more time I guess.

I also wanted to get some official N64 controllers but the only ones I could find were going for like $45 when you can get ones on ebay for like half that price.

Get this instead. I live in the northeast, and have yet to have a game not come back from the dead using this. It's rated by the US military for use to clean printed circuitboards.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Finds for the past week or so:

http://imgur.com/a/87Cz8

First pic: $10 for everything. N64 needs disassembling and cleaning. Some of the other stuff needs cleaning, but otherwise is in good order.

Second Pic:
$8 for Shadowrun
$6 for Zelda and Castlevania
$7 for Monopoly (good box)
$5 for Dr. Mario (slight overpay)

Third-Fifth Pics: $29 for the whole lot at a random Craigslist ad near me. Tons of stuff were tangled but this is what came out after everything.

40+ games, 2 systems, lots of accessories and a lot of cleaning to do. Great deal!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Fremry posted:

Get this instead. I live in the northeast, and have yet to have a game not come back from the dead using this. It's rated by the US military for use to clean printed circuitboards.

That's absurdly expensive isopropyl alcohol. I just buy the 91% stuff and it's like $3 at any store for a huge bottle.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

That's absurdly expensive isopropyl alcohol. I just buy the 91% stuff and it's like $3 at any store for a huge bottle.

I'm willing to pay the mark up for anhydrous. I use such a little amount that I don't mind it. I've cleaned over 100 games with it, and probably have used 200ml of the 945ml bottle.

Edit: Also, for some reason it's much more expensive now. I just checked and I paid $12 for the 945ml bottle.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Also, got the GB Ducktales 2 (cart only) for $14 at PAX, which seems about low-end of average, but I loved the first one as a kid, so this'll be really fun I think (and all other retrogame stuff at PAX was stupid pricey). I hope, anyway -- this isn't a "oh god what have they done" sequel, right? My GBA is charging....

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Fremry posted:

I have some of that at work, but I normally buy the 100% pure isopropyl alcohol jugs they sell at Fry's. I always laugh when I see that 'rated military grade' type of garbage on/when describing products. What's the cheapest I can get in bulk or will I get a kickback for forcing the military to buy this? = military grade.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

every time i boot up my computer my motherboard splash screen says Military Grade and it's funny. thanks for reading

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

A pile of 2600 games and no Activision. This person had a sad life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Kuros posted:

Finds for the past week or so:

http://imgur.com/a/87Cz8

First pic: $10 for everything. N64 needs disassembling and cleaning. Some of the other stuff needs cleaning, but otherwise is in good order.

Second Pic:
$8 for Shadowrun
$6 for Zelda and Castlevania
$7 for Monopoly (good box)
$5 for Dr. Mario (slight overpay)

Third-Fifth Pics: $29 for the whole lot at a random Craigslist ad near me. Tons of stuff were tangled but this is what came out after everything.

40+ games, 2 systems, lots of accessories and a lot of cleaning to do. Great deal!

I know that it's no good for me (and no good for anybody, really), but every single time I see a R.O.B., I want it so loving badly because I hate myself and I hate time/money. I even had it when I was a little kid but I could never appreciate it until it ended up being cost-inexcusable.

• Locked thread