Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Garfu posted:

I played it for as long as I did because I was very good at it and I started playing it because a group of people I FPSd with wanted to jump to it.

I've played 40 hours of bf4 since I got it a couple weeks ago but I think it's a terrible game, I'm just extremely good at it so I keep playing.

I only play bad games because I'm good at them too. What's the point of playing a game unless you're owning everything? Glad to hear you are good at BF4 too, thanks for the update.

I don't get why Fana is trying to fight a VAC ban for someone. "Oh he just installed a hack to see if other people were wallhacking." Sorry but that excuse, even if it's true, just looks bad. But yeah some of the other rules seem a bit arbitrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Opinionated posted:

I only play bad games because I'm good at them too. What's the point of playing a game unless you're owning everything? Glad to hear you are good at BF4 too, thanks for the update.

I don't get why Fana is trying to fight a VAC ban for someone. "Oh he just installed a hack to see if other people were wallhacking." Sorry but that excuse, even if it's true, just looks bad. But yeah some of the other rules seem a bit arbitrary.
He's not fighting the VAC ban, he's fighting the tourney ban.

Obiter dictum
Sep 8, 2008

Opinionated posted:

This was explained during the previous discussion on the ban in a different thread: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2169212/#Comment_2169212

quote:

I'll clarify for those who don't know the details of what happened: Eissfeldt downloaded and used a wallhack to spectate a player he suspected might be wallhacking, in order to obtain proof. About a week later, he received an automatic VAC ban on his steam account. Let me be very clear on this: No-one has ever seen Eissfeldt cheating, nor has anyone ever accused him of cheating. The fact that he got VAC banned is almost proof in itself that he didn't use a hack to cheat -- no one who knows anything about hacking would ever use a wallhack that is old enough to get detected by VAC. For this, he has been told that he will not be allowed to participate in the NS2WC no matter the circumstances.

Players and tournament admins have been using wallhacks to catch cheaters since NS1. It is the only way to reliably detect and prove that someone is wallhacking. If having had a wallhack installed is grounds for banning someone, I should've been banned 10 years ago, and so should dozens of other players who have never cheated in an actual match a single time in their lives -- their only crime having been attempting to prevent hackers from ruining this game.

Consider someone who stops a thief, takes the stolen goods from the thief, and goes back to the store to return it, only to be arrested for stealing because he was carrying stolen goods. It is obvious to anyone that this is a perversion of justice; abusing rules to punish desireable actions.

A former anti-cheat admin also offered a more in-depth explanation of why Eissfeldt shouldn't be banned in a post later in the same thread: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2169473/#Comment_2169473

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Flash Sale! $2.49 for 1, $7.49 for 4. Sale until 10:00 2:00 AM PST Tuesday. Snag a copy for your friends and get ready for rookies everywhere.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 3, 2013

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Visual Sneeze posted:

Flash Sale! $2.49 for 1, $7.49 for 4. Sale until 10:00AM PST Tuesday. Snag a copy for your friends and get ready for rookies everywhere.

If you have had any complaints about the game, now is the best time to play. A lot of people are going to be as bad as you are! :smug:

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
For $3 there is really no reason not to buy this game.

Yeah it has it's flaws but it is probably the only game in its class in terms of FPS/RTS and asynchronous gameplay

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

PhantomZero posted:

For $3 there is really no reason not to buy this game.

Yeah it has it's flaws but it is probably the only game in its class in terms of FPS/RTS and asynchronous gameplay
:science: Asymmetrical. The actions of both teams occur at the same time, in real time, so the gameplay is not asyncrhonous.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Now you know the average intelligence of your average NS2 player, come play with us!

We are lonely

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
edit: oh nevermind duh

Misandrist Duck fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 3, 2013

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
For the record I'm an idiot who can't count and forgot about the 2AM period. Sale's over, folks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

:science: Asymmetrical. The actions of both teams occur at the same time, in real time, so the gameplay is not asyncrhonous.

Last I played the game was pretty asynchronous.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Speaking of asynchronous, Humble Bundle has NS2 as part of their Humble Jumbo Bundle. Pay what ya want.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Speaking of asyncrhonous, Build 261 is out. Seems like it has a nice set of changes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm curious to hear back about the melee collision change. Marines dancing around skulks is one of the big things keeping me from coming back.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.

Syves posted:

Speaking of asynchronous, Humble Bundle has NS2 as part of their Humble Jumbo Bundle. Pay what ya want.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Yeah I just grabbed that up, seems like quite a steal for that price.

NS2 vets will surely be happy with the fresh meat this month.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
:stare: those are some good changes, I might have to start playing again for a while.

I also had absolutely no idea that cara hp regen reduction was still in, I thought that didn't make it out of beta.

E:

:siren: Default consistency config now ignores shaders/DarkVision.hlsl (allows easier modding of Alien Vision) :siren:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 4, 2013

Tom Navy
Dec 26, 2009
The Humble Bundle/Steam sale seem to have upped the player count nicely (~2700 players at the time of this post). But unfortunately it may drop off again as it has always seemed to do. There are a ton of green players, and most seem to be listening and interacting via mic which is helpful. With all the rookies, the victor is not decided within the first 5-10 minutes and comebacks are much easier. Looking forward to trying 261 later.

Obiter dictum
Sep 8, 2008
Update: The most significant issues have been sorted out by the admins, and hopefully the teams will be able to agree to more reasonable scheduling. Crisis averted, good tournament inc.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

So I tried ns2 again and with some coaching from a commander there can be some very fun games compounded by the wtf moments where they end in 2 minutes because the single ip was killed just when everyone died or something like that.

I had a guy talk me through alien comm which was good too since I haven't tried that for about a dozen builds.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I, on the other hand, was at one point told 'your patience frustrates me' with regards to my explaining things to new players, have been bitched at repeatedly by players new AND old who don't understand how the upgrades system works or the fact that I need res to do things, and at one point was yelled at by two players who claimed they had 700 and 400 hours in the game respectively, because I went gorge when we already had one. When I went on to get six or seven of the nine kills of the (rather brief) match, one of them simply commented that 'well I guess we won SOMEHOW'.

Either I've completely lost what little ability I have to tell when people are joking, or there's still a slight problem with the culture of the game in some places and I've just been unlucky enough to run into it repeatedly.

All that said, the infusion of new players has been a breath of fresh air and I did enjoy most of the games I played in spite of the, er, occasional hiccup.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I bought the latest humble bundle but have owned NS2 since release:

Free key. Please post when you take it.
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=SSVvmWfUt2FCaBfW

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

mysteryberto posted:

I bought the latest humble bundle but have owned NS2 since release:

Free key. Please post when you take it.
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=SSVvmWfUt2FCaBfW

Thanks! I got the key, if I get myself the bundle I'll post the spare key too.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I just played for the first time since the patch. I forgot to check the new commander key binding section and commanded two full games before realizing I'd been talking to myself all night because my "use microphone" rebinding had been undone while I was in the hive.

But aside from that (and losing 6 hives to JP SG rushes in my final match) I did enjoy my matches. There are definitely many new players in the game, and some of them seem to be sticking around. This has been evidenced by my sudden rocketing from mediocre performances a couple weeks ago to regularly carrying teams and otherwise kicking rear end as never before! That, and fewer people than normal communicating and worse levels of "herding cats" syndrome than normal. Hopefully they'll all get it figured out soon though. Just try to remember to continue being patient and helpful, especially in those green servers. Everyone was great tonight!

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Idk what it is about newer players but they seem to work better as a team when they play as marines. They seem to push together and stay together yet when they play aliens they attack 1 by 1 or don't go to important positions to defend. That said it also takes a while for new marines to learn how to look at their map and attack in smaller groups in more locations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This community is unbearable, and I play dota.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Pomp posted:

The old guard is often intolerable, yes, and part of that is because they've often had many, MANY years to become crusty motherfuckers, since most of the players who've played the game religiously from the start were already the old bitter assholes from NS1.

I'm hoping that the latest wave of new players will offset that for a good long while, but it's probably always going to be a problem.

Edit: And of course, some players new and old will always be mad at the commander, either for not teching the way they wanted or not babysitting that one player particularly or not magically having infinite resources; sometimes there's just no winning.

When I get really mad, though, I just remember this old song, and smile, because after nearly ten years, this song is still relevant: If I Had A Million Res Nodes.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 11, 2013

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Dyz posted:

Idk what it is about newer players but they seem to work better as a team when they play as marines. They seem to push together and stay together yet when they play aliens they attack 1 by 1 or don't go to important positions to defend. That said it also takes a while for new marines to learn how to look at their map and attack in smaller groups in more locations.

Your movement options are more limited as marine, adn you move at roughly the same speed, and there are 2-3 doors to go through. An experienced marine and a new marine will take about the same amount of time to cross a room. An experienced skulk can cross a room much quicker than a newbie skulk. And you don't always take the door, there are lots of vents to explore.

Those newbie marines will start getting high and wandering off the minute they have jetpacks.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Guesticles posted:

Those newbie marines will start getting high and wandering off the minute they have jetpacks.

This is pretty much the perfect description of what happens. Jetpacks are still a better option than exos 99% of the time, but goddamn can it be hard to survive the initial clusterfuck of everyone wandering off on their own to gently caress around. Still, I guess you probably have to get eaten in a vent by an unupgraded skulk a couple of times before you can fully appreciate why that might be a bad idea.

Some days it seems like everyone wants to be the badass who ninja's the khara upgrades, which is when players unfortunately tend to become easy pickings for...pretty much any experienced alien player that isn't an Onos.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I've killed plenty of jetpackers as a bunnyhopping Onos! Granted it really depends on the ceiling height and how (in)competent they are at jetpacking away...

I do really enjoy killing jetpackers with the horn, though. It has a longer range than most people initially think, so it can catch them by surprise.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Pomp posted:

Still not as bad as L4D2

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dyz posted:

Still not as bad as L4D2
A few months ago I had a bunch of time to kill one night, so I reinstalled L4D2 and joined some random matches. First couple of matches I said it had been a while since I played and might be a bit rusty. I was, of course, immediately kicked from all of them. It took another three matches before I found anyone who owned a microphone (everyone else spent half each match typing threats and epithets into the chat window).

Said microphone owner friended me after the match because I was the only non-shithead he'd encountered playing L4D2 in months.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've known a lot of the old community for years and since this thing came out and I don't agree. I've found a lot of the rudeness comes from the initial batch of new players who are now vets. IMO it's just a symptom of gaming communities in general these days. Whenever I join and have a mic I can usually get a good time going

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I haven't played this since early Beta, but now when I try to open it it has a popup saying it needs to "optimize", but I can't click the optimize button. So I click the cancel button on the popup, then the menu doesn't work and I have to alt-f4. I tried deleting local files and re-downloading but same issue. :wtf:

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Try deleting everything mentioned here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131428/obby-s-full-nuke-ns2-guide-only-way-to-be-sure

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dyz posted:

Still not as bad as L4D2

Or Dystopia.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The game quite literally ruined by it's community. It's SUCH a good game, and all of the players manage to be SUCH shitlords.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shockeh posted:

The game quite literally ruined by it's community. It's SUCH a good game, and all of the players manage to be SUCH shitlords.

On the plus side, they just released a new patch (with a bunch of ease-of-use changes and a shitload of bugfixes/balance work) and it looks like the real shitlords are gone. On the negative side, there's only about 50 people total who ever play it. :(

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Well it seems to be free, so there'll be 51 for the next 30 minutes anyway.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I know one of the devs and he's a bit of a shitlord too. He also has a forums account, may or may not be reading this, will know exactly who I am and that is gonna be awkward as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Unknown Worlds announced their new game officially. It's Subnautica, and underwater everything simulator.

• Locked thread