Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Beast of Bourbon posted:

cjs: sitting down at a job interview and the first question from HR is what's my expected salary, and I do the whole spiel and she's like... "give me a range" so i say my range and she is like "okay... well let me get the guys and get started"

and it's been like 30 minutes and no one has come back.
they are still laughing about the undercut you did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

cjs: sitting down at a job interview and the first question from HR is what's my expected salary, and I do the whole spiel and she's like... "give me a range" so i say my range and she is like "okay... well let me get the guys and get started"

and it's been like 30 minutes and no one has come back.

a range is strange... its like if you were selling an item and you said you wanted $5 to $7 dollars for it, who would pay $7?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

perfect opportunity to lick a stranger's toes w/o repercussions right there

i don't even think you would've gotten in trouble if you pinned her leg first

if its an international flight wait until they go around with the little towels and you can be all popely while you wash the foot. bonus for actually rambling in latin

kalstrams posted:

neither of my parents like dark roast, but they've requested liquor this time so whatever. mother's coffee preferences are on the weirder end for me - she likes coffee so sour that pressing half a lemon into a cup is fairly regular thing (with how bad is coffee selection in latvian supermarkets, that is)

I like coffee with orange peel and cardamom. spice coffee eventually gives you the eyes of the ibad.

sister and BIL are getting liquor (as are their/our friends who's christmas appears to be merging with ours), mom's getting a broom and some containers and something museum-y, dad's probably getting chardonnay and chocolate (to go with the coffee)

Tanith fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 16, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

came here to post this

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
because I know how much this job pays and the range I gave was $10k over what they would pay for it up to more than programmers make.

I also don't really want it tbqh.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
like the guy I'm replacing is a friend of mine and I know what he makes and how much this usually pays.

they're struggling to fill it as is

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Beast of Bourbon posted:

because I know how much this job pays and the range I gave was $10k over what they would pay for it up to more than programmers make.

I also don't really want it tbqh.
maybe theyre fetching some thugs to beat you for arrogance

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

weird post right here

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

kalstrams posted:

maybe theyre fetching some thugs to beat you for arrogance

don't you know you're supposed to be thankful for the scraps they want to throw you

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Al! posted:

don't you know you're supposed to be thankful for the scraps they want to throw you
:rolleye:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
If the first thing they're asking for is a pay range, then something's completely screwed up right there.

I finally had to tell my new job how much I was expecting. My friend told me to ask for xx, and I asked for that. They gave it to me.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I'll let you know how it goes. if anyone shows up...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Migishu posted:

If the first thing they're asking for is a pay range, then something's completely screwed up right there.

I finally had to tell my new job how much I was expecting. My friend told me to ask for xx, and I asked for that. They gave it to me.

there was a job I really wanted at a nonprofit that I thought they didn't give to me because I was underqualified

turns out they wanted to pay someone well, well below market

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it does seem really weird to say "give ur your range."

anywhere from (what i think i could get + 15%) to a million bazillion dollars, i guess?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Giving me responsibility when I'm half asleep is a bad idea

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

it does seem really weird to say "give ur your range."

anywhere from (what i think i could get + 15%) to a million bazillion dollars, i guess?

i think its a psychological trick to get you to spill the minimum you'll take

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Shifty Pony posted:

that reminds me I need to figure out if I want to stop paying them.

I need to figure out if they are dropping calls or if customers are just hanging up

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I'll let you know how it goes. if anyone shows up...

they're reading your posts in the 5/6 figgy threads

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Barnyard Protein posted:

i think its a psychological trick to get you to spill the minimum you'll take
isn't common practice here to reasonably overshoot and then let employer haggle it down to what you want?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I see you are mod now. Well done Crazylittle and thanks for the stuff you sent me for SS back in 2012(?)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

also beast of burbon don't you work in video games? I thought horrific working conditions at reduced pay was par for the course

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Al! posted:

there was a job I really wanted at a nonprofit that I thought they didn't give to me because I was underqualified

this is nearly every non profit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

c travel s: time to clean up room a bit, pack my bags, and catch a few hours of sleep before the morning plane

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

indigi posted:

I want spoilers. give them to me

i friggin love spoilers

imo knowing what happens is was less interesting than knowing how it happens

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
there's that chapter in Hitchhiker's Guide that starts off with something like "stress is a big problem in the universe and in order to alleviate it just fyi nobody is going to die in the upcoming missile attack except for a potted plant and a whale" and I wish more stories were that courteous

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

also beast of burbon don't you work in video games? I thought horrific working conditions at reduced pay was par for the course

i thought it was marketing and ~*social media*~ for viddy games which prolly pays a lot more than those nerds make

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

indigi posted:

there's that chapter in Hitchhiker's Guide that starts off with something like "stress is a big problem in the universe and in order to alleviate it just fyi nobody is going to die in the upcoming missile attack except for a potted plant and a whale" and I wish more stories were that courteous

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Al! posted:

one time a forprofit told me i was overqualified, they were looking for "someone from itt tech"

the position started at 85k in the rust belt lol in 2008

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

it's me, the guy who is reading the wikipedia article the movie while he's watching it.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

julian assflange posted:

I see you are mod now. Well done Crazylittle and thanks for the stuff you sent me for SS back in 2012(?)

ty, im sure we'll all regret this soon enough

how'd the shirt fit?

c allergy s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_83MEuLoz9Y

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Elder Postsman posted:

it's me, the guy who is reading the wikipedia article the movie while he's watching it.

i only went to see the sixth sense once i found out what the big twist was

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

yard salad posted:

I'm not mr six figgies here but it turns out they wanted to pay someone like 40 for an overtime exempt database admin/reporting/metrics/dashboard person. I don't know how i would even get by on 40 at this point

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

yes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Slippery Tilde

Elder Postsman posted:

i'm the guy next to you binging for leaked nudes and nip slips of all the actresses in the movie

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm the guy next to you binging for leaked nudes and nip slips of all the actresses in the movie

does "mr skin" still exist? the guy who ran the site used to come on the stern show once in a while -- he had an encyclopedic knowledge of that stuff

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

prefect posted:

i only went to see the sixth sense once i found out what the big twist was

Well I don't wear many hawaiian shirts but I think it looked alright. I don't have many reasons to wear it in Ireland though!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

yard salad posted:

if youre at a nonprofit and not the ceo, you're making between 28 and 32

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I'm the HR person interviewing BoB and were all just laughing at how lovely his posts are actually

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bump_fn posted:

I'm the HR person interviewing BoB and were all just laughing at how lovely his posts are actually

ayy lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Episode I featured a two-minute depiction of life in the Galactic Senate in an attempt to demonstrate the Old Republic's dysfunction. That scene also revealed that Lucas doesn't understand how legislatures function, what bureaucrats are, why legislative parties form, the function of the media, etc., but it still attempted to show institutional behavior.

• Locked thread