Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I get that it would be hugely exciting to get so much Homestuck at once when you're a dedicated fan. Cascade just doesn't hold up that well as an archive experience imo vs something like Game Over which you can watch and basically understand on the first go.

I actually had this problem with a lot of the early flashes since they often jumped back and forth and included a plot development in some 5-second throwaway shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
don't worry Oxx'n'Toxx, you'll be free soon. it'll soon be over. the curse will be lifted once and for all.

and more importantly, when the times comes, for this thread to finally die... i can finally find the answer to the one question that remainds... will its death be just or heroic

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

just no doubt, posting friend freak futanari

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I get that it would be hugely exciting to get so much Homestuck at once when you're a dedicated fan. Cascade just doesn't hold up that well as an archive experience imo vs something like Game Over which you can watch and basically understand on the first go.

I actually had this problem with a lot of the early flashes since they often jumped back and forth and included a plot development in some 5-second throwaway shot.

I think Cascade was also easier for us serial readers to follow because we were discussing and dissecting every one of its component plot threads for weeks leading up to it, which kept it all fresh in our minds when it all came together. But even disregarding that, Cascade just had a lot more gravitas than anything that happened in Collide, probably because the latter's length meant that we had to spent a lot of time in that old throwback STRIFE! style - which was nice for the memories, don't get me wrong, but it made all the battles feel even less impactful. I mean, the Condesce can throw around battleships and laser planets in half, and her grand finale consisted of smacking around some two-foot kids on a little balcony. Compare that to the last sequence of Cascade where Jade is lining up all the planets and cracking open the portal, that poo poo still gives me goosebumps.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Toastyhat.tumblr.com is continuing to post her art contributions this morning. She did the fraymotifs and many of the sprite attacks, including Roxy's glorious pumpkin and perfectly generic object attacks.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Prior investment in something you've been reading for six years is not "pitiful" or "obsessive compulsive,"

its pitiful when one does nothing but bitch and moan endlessly about how theres the wrong things happening, and in the wrong order. at that point, just stop exposing yourself to media that arouses such negative emotions because youre not achieving any kind of value anymore.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I keep seeing that nothing happened in this flash so:

Things that happened in this flash:

Jake died once, fought the felt, won. Had a sexy pose.
Dirk died twice, fought two jacks, was killed by his brother.
Jane healed a lot of people getting thrown through portals by Jasprosesprite^2, helped fight the Felt, and then got choked out by the Condesce.
Roxy had a sweet fight against the Condesce, combining powers with Rose and John a bunch before killing her from behind.
Davepetasprite^2 had a sweet fight against Lord English.
Aquiussprite threw a fridge at some dudes, witnessed Dad's mangrit.
Dad busted himself out of jail to help with the fight against the Felt.
Karkat led the fight against Lord English, got killed/woken up before he could land a hit, and then had a pitiful fight with a leprechaun that left Clover in horseshoes/stars/whatever with him.
Terezi had sweet fight against the Jacks, combining powers with Dave multiple times to revive Dirk and alter the timeline in the optimalest of ways.
Kanaya had a sweet fight with the Condesce, and got some reading done.
Terezi punched Hussie in the dick.
Gamzee cried in a fridge.
A bunch of dead trolls (and one ogre) were cannon fodder and double died fighting against Lord English.
Spades Slick died as confused as he lived.
Jack English's head exploded after he had an extended fight with some kids and an alternate version of himself.
Bec Noir had a long fight/playdate and got his arm chopped off and knocked out.
Bec Blanc finally won the fight against Bec Noir, as well as being a Bad Dog and punching Jade out too. Their victory pose was full of sepulchritude.
John did the windy thing against the Condesce, combined his powers with Roxy and Rose. Died at some point I think, temporarily.
Dave had a sweet fight against the Jacks, killed them both as well as Dirk.
Rose had a sweet fight against the Condesce, summoning wizards and such. Died at some point I think, temporarily.
Jade failed in her plan to play with the Becs, keeping them from killing each other. Got knocked the heck out.
Calliope stared at the Green Sun a lot.

Comic fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 6, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

also cascade and collide are barely comparable flashes beyond length

cascade had a plot and paid off or advanced it in many key ways. again, taking the "season finale" analogy, that's what cascade was- it utilized its form to end or pay off many throughlines that dominated the "season" (act 5) up to that point. collide had the enormous shambling mass of plots and events that makes act 6 to address and ends up literally being an overlong fight scene. and if that's your bag, that's your bag, and more power to you. but as it stands it only resolves a couple of fights, and they're all relatively minor. it's hard to feel like collide is a satisfactory conclusion on any level to even what came immediately before, not to mention the act as a whole

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

paranoid randroid posted:

its pitiful when one does nothing but bitch and moan endlessly about how theres the wrong things happening, and in the wrong order. at that point, just stop exposing yourself to media that arouses such negative emotions because youre not achieving any kind of value anymore.

"just stop reading" :smuggo:

well, yeah, i did. i only came back due to being convinced otherwise. and even if i wasn't, it doesn't make criticism any less valid or justified. Address the points, not the people who make them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I generally try to do that, yes, which is why I don't usually get into long-running TV shows or comics so that I can just drop and walk off when they start to suck.

But I got into this before I learned that good habit, so shut up and suck it up, toots.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
and do keep your "oh but sunk cost fallacy!" excuses to yourself because at that point youre admitting you have no control over your media consumption decisions, and that is possibly the single most pathetic thing ive ever heard.

Toxxupation posted:

yes! literally, unironically do not read things you dont like! is this controversial?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Toxxupation posted:

well, yeah, i did. i only came back due to being convinced otherwise. and even if i wasn't, it doesn't make criticism any less valid or justified. Address the points, not the people who make them.

I don't think anyone's arguing against you because your points are pretty subjective, but I think everyone is in agreement that your posting and subjecting yourself to a thing you can only criticize anymore is kind of sad.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

yes! literally, unironically do not read things you dont like! is this controversial?

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/hope-watching-vs-hate-watching-in-tvs-new-golden-age

This is the third time in as many days I've ended up linking this article, because people can't seem to comprehend the concept of consuming media you don't like in hopes that it improves in some way

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

and do keep your "oh but sunk cost fallacy!" excuses to yourself because at that point youre admitting you have no control over your media consumption decisions, and that is possibly the single most pathetic thing ive ever heard.

Yes, we are all as lotus blossoms floating in Media Nirvana, where investment is a myth and time is an illusion.

I know for a fact you're not as stupid as you're pretending to be right now, so feel free to pick up the thread of this conversation again once you've calmed down.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like things aren't binary, you can like some aspects of things while disliking the whole

You can like bad things, you can criticise things your love, there exist more states of opinion on a given product than "I hate it" and "I love it"

Reinforcing the binary is a failure in and of itself. Again, I didn't find collide that bad personally speaking outside of the dirk stuff which I found super disappointing. It was fine for what it was, I guess. I share nobody else's complaints about it on a personal level.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh god when did oxx and toxx get the same avatar.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Toxxupation posted:

Address the points, not the people who make them.

What points? Your entire argument is "I don't like thing", there's nothing to address.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Oh god when did oxx and toxx get the same avatar.

Yeah I'm really going to have to fix that myself soon because no one else is doing it for me. My av's the O.G., this current predicament is due to Shenanigans.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

also cascade and collide are barely comparable flashes beyond length

cascade had a plot and paid off or advanced it in many key ways. again, taking the "season finale" analogy, that's what cascade was- it utilized its form to end or pay off many throughlines that dominated the "season" (act 5) up to that point. collide had the enormous shambling mass of plots and events that makes act 6 to address and ends up literally being an overlong fight scene. and if that's your bag, that's your bag, and more power to you. but as it stands it only resolves a couple of fights, and they're all relatively minor. it's hard to feel like collide is a satisfactory conclusion on any level to even what came immediately before, not to mention the act as a whole
Yeah I agree the direct comparison is not very meaningful at all. It's not a conclusion and I'd hope the next 7 days give us one. I did like the Act 6 flashes where nothing much happened though (Prince of Heart: RIse Up, Caliborn: Enter) so I guess I prefer my flashes to be more about spectacle/timing and for the plot stuff to maybe be in some less hectic format.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Oxxidation posted:

I know for a fact you're not as stupid as you're pretending to be right now, so feel free to pick up the thread of this conversation again once you've calmed down.

I dunno dude, Paranoid has gotten on MY case in the past for the ironic posturing bit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

I dunno dude, Paranoid has gotten on MY case in the past for the ironic posturing bit.

Maybe I'm misreading, but there's no ironic posturing going on here. I've been keeping up with this thing since those halcyon days when Dave got beaten down by a rosy-cheeked puppet on a rooftop, and now that we're at the end I'm going to keep stating my opinions on it whether they fit the mood or not.

I think I've been very even-keeled throughout all this, but if someone accuses someone else of mental illness for having the temerity to publicly Not Like A Thing, then it's not hard to tell who's really the rear end in a top hat in that exchange.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its not the not liking a thing. thats subjective and unimpeachable. its the thing where people act like Homestuck Coleridge over it. im sorry but i honestly do not understand the attitude of "i have no investment in this media anymore, and in fact find myself disliking the narrative choices more often than i do like them, and yet i persist in reading it and expressing how little i care about it or enjoy it anymore."

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 6, 2016

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Wait, you mean Hussie hasn't been sending the rest of you cheques to keep reading and talking about Homestuck?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
You don't have to like it, but when you're a loud voice repeating that you don't like it people are going to start going 'hey man we get it, you can stop repeating yourself, are you okay?' because your non-enjoyment shouldn't really mean anything to anyone else.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

its not the not liking a thing. thats subjective and unimpeachable. its the thing where people act like Homestuck Coleridge over it. im sorry but i honestly do not understand the attitude of "i have no investment in this media anymore, and in fact find myself disliking the narrative choices more often than i do like them, and yet i persist."

Well done for failing to grasp one of the most basic tenets of media consumption, I guess.

It won't be a problem a week from now in any case.

Comic posted:

You don't have to like it, but when you're a loud voice repeating that you don't like it people are going to start going 'hey man we get it, you can stop repeating yourself, are you okay?' because your non-enjoyment shouldn't really mean anything to anyone else.

As opposed to what, exactly.

I'm not just some Johnny Swing-Dick marching in from a life of baseball and rigorous exercise to rail on a webcomic I've never heard of, I've stuck with it just as long and in many cases longer than anyone else here. You don't see me getting on anyone's case for saying they continue to enjoy it. How about you extend the same courtesy?

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 6, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

Wait, you mean Hussie hasn't been sending the rest of you cheques to keep reading and talking about Homestuck?

all i got was this fanciful horse calendar

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Oxxidation posted:

Well done for failing to grasp one of the most basic tenets of media consumption, I guess.

It won't be a problem a week from now in any case.

It doesn't need to be a problem now, either. No one is forcing you and Toxx to post about how Homestuck sucks now and was better before.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

its not the not liking a thing. thats subjective and unimpeachable. its the thing where people act like Homestuck Coleridge over it. im sorry but i honestly do not understand the attitude of "i have no investment in this media anymore, and in fact find myself disliking the narrative choices more often than i do like them, and yet i persist in reading it and expressing how little i care about it or enjoy it anymore."

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/hope-watching-vs-hate-watching-in-tvs-new-golden-age

I'm just going to continue linking this article in the vague hopes that somehow, someday, somebody actually grasps the idea that one can consume something they don't like in the vague hopes that it gets better. I'm hope-wishing that people will read this article on hope-watching, at this point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

I'm just going to continue linking this article in the vague hopes that somehow, someday, somebody actually grasps the idea that one can consume something they don't like in the vague hopes that it gets better. I'm hope-wishing that people will read this article on hope-watching, at this point.

The article sucks, stop linking it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Toxxupation posted:

No one cares why you're still reading, only that you quit bitching so incessantly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think attacking other readers for having the 'wrong' motivation for reading something is very productive, personally.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Here, I'll copy-paste a relevant paragraph:

Alan Sepinwall posted:

A little over a year ago, my wife wondered why I was still sitting down every Monday night for "How I Met Your Mother," given how much I would complain about it to her afterwards.

"Is this one of those hate-watching things?" she asked.

I told her that life was too short for hate-watching — especially in this new Golden Age of Too Much Good TV — and that I was with "HIMYM" til the end because the show gave me enough occasional glimpses of what it was like when it was good that I kept sticking around to see if they could get it together one more time, especially for the finale. (As it turned out, no they couldn't.)

Just replace every instance of the word HIMYM with Homestuck. Congrats, you have now forseen a valid instance where someone consumes something they don't like in the hopes that it improves. Namaste.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

WE DON'T GIVE A poo poo THE TWO OF YOU COMBINED ARE ABOUT 50% OF THE THREAD AND IT'S ENDLESS WHINING BITCHING SHUT THE gently caress UP

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Toxxupation posted:

Here, I'll copy-paste a relevant paragraph:

Just replace every instance of the word HIMYM with Homestuck. Congrats, you have now forseen a valid instance where someone consumes something they don't like in the hopes that it improves. Namaste.

No one gives a poo poo.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

Are you still actually holding out hope that the last 7 days of updates are gonna turn this whole thing around for you? Like, I expressed before that I can sympathize having a nuanced-but-mostly-critical outlook, but dude. You are seven days away from the series finale. If your views haven't started upswinging yet, they're never going to.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It's 100% okay to not like a thing or be disappointed in a thing and want to talk or discuss what you found lacking in a thing you're reading. Please don't super goon out about people posting their opinions must because they're not completely positive about a thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

WE DON'T GIVE A poo poo THE TWO OF YOU COMBINED ARE ABOUT 50% OF THE THREAD AND IT'S ENDLESS WHINING BITCHING SHUT THE gently caress UP

Maybe you should take your own advice and...*tents fingers* stop reading.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Plom Bar posted:

Are you still actually holding out hope that the last 7 days of updates are gonna turn this whole thing around for you? Like, I expressed before that I can sympathize having a nuanced-but-mostly-critical outlook, but dude. You are seven days away from the series finale. If your views haven't started upswinging yet, they're never going to.

...Yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Maybe it's been brought up before, but I just now realized that a collision and cascade are exactly the things that happen during the break of a pool game.