Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the WoL beats Zenos in a dimension of raw emotion after suffering blows that can and would have put them down because their willpower was stronger. That's kind of the thing with the WoL. Your unwillingness to give up and surrender means you end up in situations where some kind of help or deus ex machina can empower you to overcome seemingly unstoppable odds, and even that requires a whooooole lot of coincidence, chance and literal time travel.

Honestly the game is pretty good about emphasizing that when you punch tremendously high it is because there is something allowing you to do it and/or you're doing it with help, because your power is defined as being able to make friends and allies who come together in times of need. That isn't to say you're not one of the absolute toughest motherfuckers out there but you're not the Solo Godking Of The World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Countblanc posted:

Yeah but so are some bears. Maybe the WoL should summon bears next time.

Most players say they would feel safer in a strange Extreme with a bear in the party than a pubbie.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

I think that you're just not supposed to think too hard about the group summoning stuff. My best understanding is just that you're "summoning some skilled adventurer buddies." So it's just the WoL's friends outside of the story or something.

...really? I'm having trouble thinking of anyone else (especially if you're specifically talking about just "people"). Endwalker makes it clear that WoL is at least capable of beating Zenos 1v1, and I don't think we've ever been presented with an individual stronger than Zenos (except maybe Emet Selch, who is only defeated with a group).

I mean, the entire narrative of the Omega raids was Omega getting increasingly annoyed by your success in the face of a series of opponents that, by the numbers, should have wiped the floor with you. The WoL wins because it turns out that Burning Spirit is actually a physical property of the universe and our protagonist has a lot of that. :kamina:

Plus, you know, friends.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 23, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
In hindsight the Omega raid is fully and smoothly explained by it having incredibly limited data on Dynamis and taking its first crack at a form that uses it.

So I was thinking about what I said earlier and who are the contenders for strongest on the source? Probably excluding ascians, who bounce all over the place depending on plot needs. The rule of comedy makes it murky whether or not Godbert steals the #1 spot or isn't in the running to begin with. You've got some classic heavyweights like Raubahn, Merlwyb and Kan-E-Senna(legitimate wielder and representative of the elements and/or knee-capping all acceptable answers.) Zenos is probably closest to the canon #1 spot, though Garlemald puts out quite a few big shots. Gaius could easily be in the running too. Although it's easy to think of the Scions as all subordinate to the WoL, especially with solo duty ability bars, Thancred pulls a WoL-tier win solo in ShB and Estinien seems pretty WoL-comparable. There's never any doubt in a scene where he throws his spear like a magical nuke, that's a fully accepted thing he can do. There's also the cats, G'raha is pretty heavyweight for a mage and there's always the suggestion that Y'shtola could turn the WoL into a frog if she got really pissed. All of the Scions seem to believe the hype that the WoL is a tier above each of them individually though. Except Tartaru, who clearly wins this thought exercise.

Then there's the land of exceptions to the rule in the Azim Steppe, even beat back the empire where Eorzea couldn't and by themselves at that. I'm sure there'll be another power spike/curve with Dawntrail hitting and that reminds me of figures like Vrtra who upset the curve, though maybe technical aliens don't count.

FF14 is pretty grounded for uhm, a Final Fantasy but by virtue of their steady adventuring the Scions are persistently becoming the likely strongest people in the world.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Kan-E is absolutely one of the strongest characters on paper, but i think it's safe to assume she has little combat experience and probably wouldn't really be much of a 1v1 threat. Estinian and Zero are probably the strongest of our closest allies, with Thancred a bit behind. I also feel like Hien is probably pretty far up there especially since he's an actually trained combatant

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's a little throwaway line after Azadahl's legacy, when you return there with Varshan to check out the void portal. The alchemists had already repaired and restocked the dungeon's defenses, but Estinien ran ahead and destroyed them all again before the rest of the group could catch up.

So at the very least Estinien can solo the dungeon. Probably not a big feat for the WoL if they're a tank or healer though.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the WoL beats Zenos in a dimension of raw emotion after suffering blows that can and would have put them down because their willpower was stronger. That's kind of the thing with the WoL. Your unwillingness to give up and surrender means you end up in situations where some kind of help or deus ex machina can empower you to overcome seemingly unstoppable odds, and even that requires a whooooole lot of coincidence, chance and literal time travel.

Honestly the game is pretty good about emphasizing that when you punch tremendously high it is because there is something allowing you to do it and/or you're doing it with help, because your power is defined as being able to make friends and allies who come together in times of need. That isn't to say you're not one of the absolute toughest motherfuckers out there but you're not the Solo Godking Of The World.

We're Goku, but Goku towards the end of the original Dragonball where the other supporting members can still feel useful and aren't so utterly far behind us that they aren't even on our plane of existence anymore.

As far as the Azem stone goes, I don't think we're summoning adventurers from other shards. At least not living ones. I think it's more like that we're summoning shades of other/previous adventurers. More sophisticated versions than the ones that Elidibus threw at us, but still shades.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doomykins posted:

In hindsight the Omega raid is fully and smoothly explained by it having incredibly limited data on Dynamis and taking its first crack at a form that uses it.

So I was thinking about what I said earlier and who are the contenders for strongest on the source? Probably excluding ascians, who bounce all over the place depending on plot needs. The rule of comedy makes it murky whether or not Godbert steals the #1 spot or isn't in the running to begin with. You've got some classic heavyweights like Raubahn, Merlwyb and Kan-E-Senna(legitimate wielder and representative of the elements and/or knee-capping all acceptable answers.) Zenos is probably closest to the canon #1 spot, though Garlemald puts out quite a few big shots. Gaius could easily be in the running too. Although it's easy to think of the Scions as all subordinate to the WoL, especially with solo duty ability bars, Thancred pulls a WoL-tier win solo in ShB and Estinien seems pretty WoL-comparable. There's never any doubt in a scene where he throws his spear like a magical nuke, that's a fully accepted thing he can do. There's also the cats, G'raha is pretty heavyweight for a mage and there's always the suggestion that Y'shtola could turn the WoL into a frog if she got really pissed. All of the Scions seem to believe the hype that the WoL is a tier above each of them individually though. Except Tartaru, who clearly wins this thought exercise.

Then there's the land of exceptions to the rule in the Azim Steppe, even beat back the empire where Eorzea couldn't and by themselves at that. I'm sure there'll be another power spike/curve with Dawntrail hitting and that reminds me of figures like Vrtra who upset the curve, though maybe technical aliens don't count.

FF14 is pretty grounded for uhm, a Final Fantasy but by virtue of their steady adventuring the Scions are persistently becoming the likely strongest people in the world.

Honest answer that isn't Godbert?

Martyn. The dude has canonically wrecked the poo poo of some of the biggest badasses on the planet and stolen their powers.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
WoL is Little Mac, and can beat a Mike Tyson Mr. Dream in a fight, but the latter hits harder per punch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

I think Thancred's on our level, but a lot of his skillset is in espionage which is orthogonal to the way we approach things so punch-for-punch someone like Estinien's much more obvious.

As far as how the (current) Scions rank against each other I'd put the Twins and Krile on the lower tier (not to say they're any slouch), Urianger and Shtola middle, and Thancred Estinien and Raha at the top. But all of them have specializations where they can flex, and the main reason I boost Thancred is he's had a lot of opportunities to show it off while the other "elder Scions" have been more used for loredumps. Mr "oh I'll just infiltrate Garlemald alone and spread the rumor of the information we found out, no biggie." Y'Shtola may be tearing the fabric of the universe apart for a booty call, but she hasn't broken into an enemy fortress to rescue her surrogate sister/daughter.

And yeah, shoutout to Martyn who is incredibly skilled at all sorts of magic and gets to play his role as a joke character because it's not often needed of him and he's so dedicated to promoting Blue magic that he hamstrings himself.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Oh yeah, Martyn is definitely the Brolly to the WoL's Goku. :allears:

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Honest answer that isn't Godbert?

Martyn. The dude has canonically wrecked the poo poo of some of the biggest badasses on the planet and stolen their powers.

The best part of Godbert is that when you ignore his whole nudist oiled up thing, this is you, this is the WoL, kinda. This is what the world experiences when you show up. Nicer and less likely to strip on the spot but just as much of a ridiculous cryptid with superpowers that just Does Stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tzarnal posted:

The best part of Godbert is that when you ignore his whole nudist oiled up thing, this is you, this is the WoL, kinda. This is what the world experiences when you show up. Nicer and less likely to strip on the spot but just as much of a ridiculous cryptid with superpowers that just Does Stuff.

I mean I've done enough roulettes to know that odds are probably just as good as Godbert that a catgirl in her underwear will show up to solve your problem.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
If it's okay, could you talk around big story beats like time travel and dimension jumping until Dawntrail is out?

I know the game is old and I don't mean to make things difficult. It's just this thread is a good resource for anything related to the expansion for us sprouts too. That kinda falls outside what the newbie thread does.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The WoL is a human can opener.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My WoL is an incompetent himbo constantly in the wrong place at the right time and is consistently bailed out by divine providence or similar deus ex machina.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

SettingSun posted:

My WoL is an incompetent himbo constantly in the wrong place at the right time and is consistently bailed out by divine providence or similar deus ex machina.

We’re all Hildibrand.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I mean I've done enough roulettes to know that odds are probably just as good as Godbert that a catgirl in her underwear will show up to solve your problem.

:hmmyes:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Attack on Princess posted:

If it's okay, could you talk around big story beats like time travel and dimension jumping until Dawntrail is out?

I know the game is old and I don't mean to make things difficult. It's just this thread is a good resource for anything related to the expansion for us sprouts too. That kinda falls outside what the newbie thread does.

Sorry. I'll do my best.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

https://youtu.be/a9BtB890H0M?si=1JADeQB52xmqI8LY

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My favorite characterization of the WOL is their willingness to do whatever the person in front of them asks, usually without the slightest hesitation. This becomes increasingly worrisome if you happen to do side quests.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Professor Beetus posted:

My favorite characterization of the WOL is their willingness to do whatever the person in front of them asks, usually without the slightest hesitation. This becomes increasingly worrisome if you happen to do side quests.

I like when the intro to the Nier raids calls you out on that with the whole "Of course that's the Warrior of Darkness, with his mighty neck muscles forged by years of nodding!" and the dialogue option of "It literally does not matter what I say right now, does it?"

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Welp, all done with the Yo-kai Watch stuff. Took a bit longer than grinding out the Atma step for all of the ARR relic weapons I did a little while ago (I stopped there for all of them, only taking a few all the way to Z), which tracks since there's four more weapons.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Professor Beetus posted:

"haha, I asked the world's greatest hero to pick literal poo poo up off the ground and they did it"
"Joke's on you, this is my hobby"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Green Thancred is pretty popular

https://twitter.com/MTNDEWGaming/status/1791172174331408420

https://www.gamesradar.com/games/fi...o-promote-soda/

https://twitter.com/EredithPanzert/status/1791190290503503907
https://twitter.com/DistantValhalla/status/1791204543448887707

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 23, 2024

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Fall Guys event is cool and all, but it'd be significantly cooler if they'd fixed the absolute dogshit hit detection on the crystal carrying game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder how the marketing intern playing Big Sippin feels about the MSQ, or did they spring for a story skip? Still has his sprout!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Doomykins posted:

I wonder how the marketing intern playing Big Sippin feels about the MSQ, or did they spring for a story skip? Still has his sprout!
Big Sippin has a Legacy Chocobo and a Cait Sith Doll minion...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
for the freaks among us, what are all the various things one can prep for day 1 VPR/PCT leveling? catbook and elephant tribals, what else is there before falling into the trust hole for 6 hours

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hogama posted:

Wonder if Mt Dew paid someone to do a fantasia and name change lol

I hope the WOL never runs across an ATM that asks them to feed it a cat

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 23, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Hogama posted:

P-Powerful...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Make sure you have your Azeyma earing. GC or FC experience buffs too, and hell random food for 3%.

Last the thread calculated, Bozja leveling speed is comparable to queueless chain dungeon speed. With the advantage of not having queues or having another dps asleep at the wheel.

Hitting trusts will of course also bypass the queues, but the speed will take a hit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
oh really? I thought people here agreed chain trusts were the fastest. I'm glad to hear otherwise, i do not enjoy doing trusts (though I'll probably mix a few in just for variety's sake)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also pvp roulette with both be a free chunk of easy exp and extremely hilarious

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Countblanc posted:

for the freaks among us, what are all the various things one can prep for day 1 VPR/PCT leveling? catbook and elephant tribals, what else is there before falling into the trust hole for 6 hours
So this time, you don't need to immediately level VPR or PIC to access Bozja - level 71 is the minimum entry requirement and they start at 80. That being the case, you can grind up 80-89 in your preferred manner(s), then pop your catbooks to immediately jump from 89-90. You could throw in your job quests in the middle for the extra experience as you go but you might find it easier gear-wise to just wait until you can throw on the 90 tomestone set. There's not much you can do to boost experience otherwise besides your stock armory bonus - earrings, manuals, and rested experience all boost what you get from killing overworld mobs (which includes dungeon bosses if you run dungeons), but not FATE/skirmish/critical engagement payouts. You could theoretically get a Mentor party bonus for being a Returner but launch will reset all the Mentors. The only other thing that boosts all experience is the "Road to x0" status you get for rolling a character on a preferred world.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Countblanc posted:

oh really? I thought people here agreed chain trusts were the fastest. I'm glad to hear otherwise, i do not enjoy doing trusts (though I'll probably mix a few in just for variety's sake)

Yeah, it was a couple months ago. It took 5 non-trust dungeons to gain two levels and qualify for the next dungeon, minimal rested exp. Estimating 20 minutes a run, and I was a healer so queues were negligible, 8-9 hours to level from 81-90. Someone doing Bozja around the same time found it a bit faster.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

isn't there an exp bonus of some kind for doing each dungeon on a job for the first time? or am i making poo poo up/was i lied to years ago

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Countblanc posted:

My math when I was trying to figure it out was screwed up because Boizja is worth more 80-90 than it is 70-80. It comes out "best" if things work optimally, though not as good as potential because players have decided that "optimal" is a method that sacrifices the ability to kill mobs for extra fates along the way so either everybody misses out or somebody focuses those at the cost of being on time to fates that explode immediately.

Close enough to other methods that it's all about which particular grind you can stand.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Guildhests used to do something similar. I remember getting dragged through those dumb things back in the day for some reason on each class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kerrzhe posted:

isn't there an exp bonus of some kind for doing each dungeon on a job for the first time? or am i making poo poo up/was i lied to years ago

there is but you need to hold down L+Start when you initiate the queue