Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Something like Mad God would be most appropriate, but I sincerely hope no one ever tries to make Dark Souls: The Movie, that’s the most hollowed idea I’ve heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I think you could make a case for a Sekiro movie.

Everything from the beginning of the game till waking up in the Temple can be recreated basically as-is. After that you might have to come up with a slightly more focused story than "rescue the heir". But there's all the stuff going on with the Tengu, and Isshin himself, and whichever troops are invading Ashina castle, etc., so I feel like you could tease a two hour movie out of all that which is interesting enough to stand alone as an actual movie, while having enough stuff in it for fans of the game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sekiro is strongly influenced by an animated movie. Sword of the Stranger. Big recommend although sadly lacking in guardian apes

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

There’s also Blade of The Immortal, about a ronin who can’t die because of centipedes worms in his blood who swears to protect a child etc…

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I appreciate how they distilled Anor Londo down to what's really important: getting impaled off the rooftops by silver knights.

Really though it was nice having multiple angles of attack and sneakiness to avoid them. Successfully found a spouse and unlocked the dark sigil ending (that's a look er upper for sure).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m pretty sure a Firelink NPC just straight up tells you “your bride is ready Chosen Unkindled, go to the hidden section of Anor Londo” so it’s not as mean as it could be. And yeah, it was pretty nostalgic dealing with the greatbow silver knights in a non-miserable context. Did you find the Darkmoon Covenant NPC?

this one really is bullshit, but I’m pretty sure From knew that since there’s two ways to enter the covenant. There’s a tower a far way off connected to the tower thingy that you rotate to adjust the height of…connected by an invisible path, where you can’t leave messages very near, which is the truly foul part.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Last Celebration posted:

I’m pretty sure a Firelink NPC just straight up tells you “your bride is ready Chosen Unkindled, go to the hidden section of Anor Londo” so it’s not as mean as it could be. And yeah, it was pretty nostalgic dealing with the greatbow silver knights in a non-miserable context. Did you find the Darkmoon Covenant NPC?

this one really is bullshit, but I’m pretty sure From knew that since there’s two ways to enter the covenant. There’s a tower a far way off connected to the tower thingy that you rotate to adjust the height of…connected by an invisible path, where you can’t leave messages very near, which is the truly foul part.

She does but there's a few steps in the spouse npc quest that read like you can easily mess them up. One being telling them where their buddy was.

No but that makes sense: it looked like there was a way to go but just no path and the wheel wouldn't turn. I assume the aldricht covenant exists purely to invade people who just beat the sword pope, got embered, and kept going?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Aldritch covenant is the invasion kiddy pool. Covenant members don't have friendly fire relative to each other and you're more likely to spawn into a 3v3 instead of a 3v1 compared to traditional invasions. It's good for learning the ropes or for just being able to (relatively) consistently get invasions at all during periods where the game's online is mostly dead.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'd want to see a souls movie from the pov of a side character, sieglinde is an excellent example but it could also be someone less capable, maybe just some regular person trying to survive and deal with the challenges of trying not to go hollow as the world decays around them. You could set that one literally any time, too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The story of Patches.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

The story of Patches.

Billion dollar opening weekend, guaranteed

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

The story of Patches.

Its just 2 hours of your perspective while Patches kicks you off different cliffs.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mustached Demon posted:

The story of Patches.

As you enter the theater the lights go out and minimum wage employees push you into a rolling trash can and begin to beat you with their plastic brooms

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

skasion posted:

As you enter the theater the lights go out and minimum wage employees push you into a rolling trash can and begin to beat you with their plastic brooms

you buy your ticket, head into the theater, and Bee Movie starts playing

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Surprised there hasn't been one in development but what would a Dark Souls/ER movie look like?

Groundhog Day with more somersaulting.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Honestly a soulsborne movie is just Stalker but they kill a hosed up wolf monster at some point

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Aldritch covenant is the invasion kiddy pool. Covenant members don't have friendly fire relative to each other and you're more likely to spawn into a 3v3 instead of a 3v1 compared to traditional invasions. It's good for learning the ropes or for just being able to (relatively) consistently get invasions at all during periods where the game's online is mostly dead.

That makes sense. I got invaded and was holding my own then some other aldritch bro came in with a steel chair halberd.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Siegmeyer, you're a true bro. You completed your quest to save your friend and helped me in the process.

Good story boss and way better implementation than seed bed. Suppose you could wail on him for 30 minutes but having Siegmeyer do it for you was good. Or smack him by yourself with the sword they put a giant target on.

Immediately teleported to that lady in the castle and I guess that totally not obvious boss arena is next.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like a Souls movie would just be a regular dark fantasy movie but half the words are in a made-up language for which you have no context.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm not only surprised that it hasn't been in development, but also that there's so much pushback to the idea among fans in this thread. I don't see why a good Souls movie can't be made. Get the dude from Dune to direct that bitch.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

found the one guy who's never seen a video game movie before

like three different studios have tried and failed to make a good Berserk adaptation and that's an easier version of the same task

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I was mainly thinking about The Witcher

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the witcher show is also not very good, despite henry cavill's enthusiasm

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the reason they've never made a souls movie is because there's never been a narrative more compelling than, "you, john darksouls, must reach the place to stop the ambiguously bad thing from happening." the experiential quality of the games are tied up in exploration and the fitting of the puzzle pieces of backstory together, so any big screen property with "Dark Souls" stamped on it is really just going to be a grittier fantasy film with some iconography slathered on top

if you want the closest experience to it, go watch the 2011 season of the witch remake with nicolas cage and ron perlman, in which they're two beleaguered knights tramping across plague-ravaged europe dealing with a variety of familiar souls issues like a rickety rope bridge and random dog attacks

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
You're all wrong, (possibly as usual?) Check this out. It's Dark Souls as gently caress.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0208502/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Don't read anything about it. Put down your phone and watch it after it is in your possession. You will feel a Dark Souls Feeling.

Thanks to Chapo and Felix Biederman for showing us it can be done.

Any movie version of any FromSoft Souls game must absolutely not explain anything, like whatever the gently caress Anri's wedding is or why there's a flame that needs to be "linked." Set it between any two of the games. It can be done, Mamoru Oshii basically did it twenty years ago.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

modern film audiences generally do not go gaga for 90+ minutes of being extremely confused

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You're all wrong, (possibly as usual?) Check this out. It's Dark Souls as gently caress.
I've seen Angel's Egg and

a). it didn't give me strong Dark Souls vibes at all, Dark Souls is not just "is mysterious"
b). it's one of those anime that fans elevate to being amazing when in reality it's just ok, because they're desperate for more genuinely good anime
c). what sort of modern film company with any kind of budget is going to make anything like Angel's Egg, particularly when tasked to make a Dark Souls adaptation

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

LazyMaybe posted:

I've seen Angel's Egg and

a). it didn't give me strong Dark Souls vibes at all, Dark Souls is not just "is mysterious"
b). it's one of those anime that fans elevate to being amazing when in reality it's just ok, because they're desperate for more genuinely good anime
c). what sort of modern film company with any kind of budget is going to make anything like Angel's Egg, particularly when tasked to make a Dark Souls adaptation

People say the same thing about Angel's Egg being like a Gene Wolfe movie and I don't really get it either. It's cool and worth watching but ??

In other news Dancer of the Boreal Valley has become that boss I keep tilting against, giving me way more trouble than Aldrich or Sulheyvan did lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I didn't find Dancer THAT challenging. Tough moments for sure since she doesn't give you time to chug. Sword pope was harder I think. I 2Hed a sharp lothric sword.

Now dragon armor... That guy was tough. Maybe I'm just bad at slow swings and good at fast ones. It got the morning star.

I do appreciate how the game started making GBS threads large shards at you. Now maybe they did with chunks too eventually...

Now I'm not sure where to go next: messy library or toxic bit full of abyssal monsters.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

I didn't find Dancer THAT challenging. Tough moments for sure since she doesn't give you time to chug. Sword pope was harder I think. I 2Hed a sharp lothric sword.

Now dragon armor... That guy was tough. Maybe I'm just bad at slow swings and good at fast ones. It got the morning star.

I do appreciate how the game started making GBS threads large shards at you. Now maybe they did with chunks too eventually...

Now I'm not sure where to go next: messy library or toxic bit full of abyssal monsters.

the goop garden is mostly a side area with a good number of upgrade mats, so it's worth poking around in before going through the main path library

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

If you have to make a dark souls movie you basically have to adapt a character backstory instead of representing the player characters journey. Do like Havels story. Cast Dwayne Johnson

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I really appreciate that Elden Ring just lets you change weapon attributes on the fly after fighting the Twin Princes with a dark weapon. Maybe I just went all in on pyromancies the last time I played (or just cheesed them with PC summons) because the fuckall damage a dark weapon sure stands out more. Sick fight though, forgot that the younger brother has an imitation of Elden Stars.

Also it is exceedingly hilarious that the oft-memed Dragonslayer bonfire actually serves a purpose with the final Archive shortcut but they still placed it wrong for that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The only way to do Souls movie is to base it around a particular NPC such as Siegward or Havel.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

A buddy action comedy /heist movie about Patches & Greirat looking for the treasure horde of Lothric.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
It's like trying to make a big budget mass market introduction to the 40k universe, like where do you even begin. Every single successful 40k adaptation has been deliberately niche, forcing the customer to engage on the maker's terms, not the other way around. And people like that!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I still think a good movie is entirely doable in the right hands. The last D&D movie was pretty solid. They made a decent movie out of Mario. Silent Hill got a lot of things right. But you guys are right that the success rate of good video game movies is quite low, for whatever reason, so I guess I've come to understand the skepticism.

The thing you have to do is stay true to the source while eliminating all the things that make a video game work but don't make for interesting film making, which is not easy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just make a Berserk movie that's 75% of the way there.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Souls series is also a deeply idiosyncratic and deliberately obtuse series about struggle and despair heavily tied to its underlying gameplay. Being able to make a breezy summer romp about the D&D license doesn't mean you could just as easily make a film about the game where you get killed by a superboss twenty times whilst you try and figure out how they tie into the mythology of the world

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Please remember that Uwe Boll is responsible for pulling that average down for video game adaptations.

(A DS movie is a terrible idea regardless imo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Serephina posted:

Please remember that Uwe Boll is responsible for pulling that average down for video game adaptations.
Germany has closed that particular tax loop hole, so the world is once again safe from Uwe's Bolls.