Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Only play half the mechs for bonus skins and paint colors? No thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
But you can make the map change color.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

OptimusWang posted:

Well I'm assuming the community warfare stuff will be seperate from the random drops we have right now. So you're locked into one side for CW but you can use whatever for non-CW stuff.

At least that's how I would do it, but then again :pgi:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It seems really weird that they're announcing the resistance mechs sans perks when the upcoming perk system is the new big thing for IS mechs. I'd be a lot more interested in them if they actually gave even a vague idea about perks for them.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Amazing, they are literally slapping this together as they go. Zero design work has been done before. Zero. They are expecting people to participate in the long awaited CW for a bunch of skins and titles you can't actually use. But then again I guess they have to come up with a system they could feasibly implement before December 21st.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ArchangeI posted:

Amazing, they are literally slapping this together as they go. Zero design work has been done before. Zero. They are expecting people to participate in the long awaited CW for a bunch of skins and titles you can't actually use. But then again I guess they have to come up with a system they could feasibly implement before December 21st.

It's just like UI 2.0. They claimed to have been working on it for at least a year, until they realized they couldn't delay it any longer and just slapped it together in a month.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

My favorite part might be the massive backtrack on the Phoenix loyalty items. "That random percent bonus you paid money for mucks things up because math is hard. Here's a flat payment instead" :pgi:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So clan mechs are still objectively better than IS mechs and they still are going to separate them? Lol.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sedisp posted:

So clan mechs are still objectively better than IS mechs and they still are going to separate them? Lol.

Well, it's for the invasion battles. There are going to be 3 types of battles: IS vs IS, IS vs Clan, and Clan VS Clan.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
What the hell is a dagger star?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Finster Dexter posted:

What the hell is a dagger star?

That's the red star thing that's a Clan equivalent to 'generic lone wolf/merc group'.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
Just after I thought "hey, this quirk poo poo might actually unfuck a thing or two" that loving Paul post reminded me why this game will never be good.
:negative:

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OptimusWang posted:

The problem is what realistic rewards could you give out?

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

Iron Tusk posted:

I see that you are man who has never known honor and glory.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Iron Tusk posted:

Modules seem like the obvious choice.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
That CW post basically shows they don't know anything about how people actually play games.

Dropping seasons is going to create problem down the road. Eventually, some house/clan/faction is going to become dominant, and without seasons to provide a time frame for correction, PGI's response will always be perceived as haphazard and nepotistic, alienating players on both sides.

Loyalty Points clearly weren't thought out before being introduced as a reward, and now that nobody can think of what to do with them, they are being shuffled off to die in a corner (more rewards for temporary people than permanent people? really?). If you want an idea, try having LP work as modules for purchasable planetary defenses (eg: a 1 million cbill planetary defense item might do X damage with Y accuracy. Spending LP on it as well means will do X damage at Y+Z accuracy).

The whole post reads like a terrible high school DnD idea somebody thought up because they think they are a super excellent DM, and has about as much chance of being any good.

RiperSnifel
Jul 13, 2007

Pull the handle, let it go, now you know you're ready to roll.

EoRaptor posted:

they don't know anything about how people actually play games.

There I fixed that for you.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Iron Tusk posted:

Since they've cribbed everything else from WoT, you'd think they're give away MC for being in the top groups.

But that requires an interactive map that has functional coding involved. And a moderately well thought out plan. And a reasonable intention to deliver something fun to players as the end game content.

E: wasn't there originally some talk (as if that matters with :pgi:) of giving factions discounts based on resources they control or special mechs? There's tons of things that are realistic (for actual devs) and interesting they could do instead of letting you fight for the right to borrow paint from the home improvement aisle in Space Home Depot.

WebDO fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 23, 2014

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I also thought I remember them spit-balling about having manufacturer weapon variants as part of CM/CM rewards, but I guess that sort got replaced by weapon modules?

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
I also like how he thinks he needs an option for people to align "permanently", notices promptly that nothing is permanent (especially player choices), and immediately stops thinking about it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Personally, I think painting the map green and watching pubbies cry about their beloved House Davion being swallowed up by Liao will be reward enough.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Dramicus posted:

Personally, I think painting the map green and watching pubbies cry about their beloved House Davion being swallowed up by Liao will be reward enough.

Except it'll be like that one zombie browser game where goons tried taking over the game as one faction and the devs actively prevented them by giving the losing faction a whole bunch of different boosts and air-drops. That game had the best pubbie tears though.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Thor-Stryker posted:

Except it'll be like that one zombie browser game where goons tried taking over the game as one faction and the devs actively prevented them by giving the losing faction a whole bunch of different boosts and air-drops. That game had the best pubbie tears though.

I know you can take PGI's word with a grain of salt, but they did say every planet except for capitals would be capture-able, so who knows how it will turn out. They might just reset things if we build momentum.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
What's the tryhard Dire Wolf build du jour?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dramicus posted:

I know you can take PGI's word with a grain of salt, but they did say every planet except for capitals would be capture-able, so who knows how it will turn out. They might just reset things if we build momentum.

Part of the Goon ethos has been to expose dumb mechanics that can be exploited through teamwork and/or figuring out the holes in the systems. So, just being the loyal beta testers that we always have been.

Sort of a joke, but the biggest problem they have is one of organization and numbers essentially trumping everything.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

abuse culture. posted:

2gauss/2ppc seems pretty nasty.

Or just slap on a ton of UAC/5s?

Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp

Dramicus posted:

for this to happen we need Anders, Chronojam and the rest of the OG WoL goons to come back as we can't do it on the back of Various Cheeses alone.

Some of the try hard pubbie groups have gotten pretty good in our absence.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

abuse culture. posted:

3 gauss 4 mediums and autohotkey.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thor-Stryker posted:

As long as it works more directly within the confines of the game, I have no objection to developer interference to try to prolong a 'stalemate' of conflict.

The most relevant example of this is from MPBT3025. Territory could be gained by dropping against a completing lance (4 v4) and winning, or by 'patrolling' against empty area's (sitting in a challenge channel for one minute). When it became obvious that House Kurita had more effective fighters, and would win most battles, and had more people, and could win the 'idle' drops, the developers reacted by bribing the best players to switch factions, and extending the time it took to 'idle' in a channel as the faction had less and less territory. Through this, the achieved a long standing balance, where you could push and take territory, but every additional territory you took made it easier for somebody else to take your territory.

They did reset the map on a few occasions, but it mostly happened when somebody found/exploited a bug, or when changing how territory was claimed. It never made it out of beta, so it was also fine that they did so.

If they simply make one faction do 100% extra damage in combat or otherwise get free defenses or other monetary rewards, then I have to say that would be poorly thought out. You create a class system when you do that, and it divides a playerbase that should be united (in experience).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Selim Sivad posted:

for this to happen we need Anders, Chronojam and the rest of the OG WoL goons to come back as we can't do it on the back of Various Cheeses alone.

Some of the try hard pubbie groups have gotten pretty good in our absence.

WOL was never the best ~pro gamers~ in MWO, whether in 2012 or now.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

abuse culture. posted:

2x AC10, 2x LRM20, 4x ML. It's the easiest build you can play right now.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

WOL was never the best ~pro gamers~ in MWO, whether in 2012 or now.

We were pretty darn competitive for a bit. Even still, we were a lot more competitive against our different squads than anything else.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Kazvall posted:

We were pretty darn competitive for a bit. Even still, we were a lot more competitive against our different squads than anything else.

We're not bad but we play mostly for shiggles and run terribad mechs (this is a good thing)

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

various cheeses posted:

Or just slap on a ton of UAC/5s?

Did this with six C-UAC/5s. Probably the most fun I've had since AC/2s were bugged. Definitely feels way overpowered.

Are targeting computers worth it at all? It seems like like 1 ton/slot one is pretty low investment.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The Black Mad Cat by Duncan Fisher aka George Ledoux: https://soundcloud.com/cussingeorge/the-black-mad-cat-a-halloweenbattletech-treat

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

We're not bad but we play mostly for shiggles and run terribad mechs (this is a good thing)

KDR and to a lesser extent Brofist would disagree. We definitely had our tryhard groups and even the Chivers had plenty of solid players when they weren't getting stoned and listening to Osh tell pizza delivery stories (which is the best way to play this game).

It's arguably more fun and way more relaxed now that we play with zero fucks given, but I miss having 50+ goons on nightly.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Taliban Light Mech groups were the best groups. Or full up Boom Jägers being played with "here comes the BOOM".

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

I don't know if purposely playing joke builds/mechs is the best at this stage of the game, now that we're paired against coordinated teams. It probably used to work a lot better when it was eight goons on mumble vs eight solo pubbies.

I mean obviously we don't need everyone in serious business dire and timber wolves 24/7, but it is nice for getting that extra wad of c-bills.

e: also it's kind of annoying that pubbies squawk more than we do, and then roll us.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kazvall posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'd put kdr in the top 5 or w/e of MWO groups, and we could take games off anyone out there period on a good night. But we never played enough to ascend to consistent king of poo poo mountain. I mean, we organized a ~team practice night~ once a week and that was enough to keep relevant with people pouring vastly more time in, which was more than good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

OptimusWang posted:

KDR and to a lesser extent Brofist would disagree. We definitely had our tryhard groups and even the Chivers had plenty of solid players when they weren't getting stoned and listening to Osh tell pizza delivery stories (which is the best way to play this game).

It's arguably more fun and way more relaxed now that we play with zero fucks given, but I miss having 50+ goons on nightly.

We would have fifty guys available at any given moment, and while maybe not fifty guys who all knew what the hell was going on 100%, they were fifty guys who had at least a couple competent leader/cat-herder types among them and they all were backed by the build sperging and theorycrafting of top men. We had ready-to-rock loadouts with charts and graphs to compare and contrast them, and the very best how-to-play materials available. Our worst guys were easily yanked up to a good baseline competence and we had a ton of them.

And very few strings attached. No real participation or skillset or cash requirements.

• Locked thread