Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Since the kickstarter they formed 16 different companies. Some are identical with small changes in spelling.

When people contacted the district attorney because of denied refunds their lawyer gave the "wrong company" defense because the complaint didn't list the correct shell corporation. I believe they did the same thing in the Crytek lawsuit, claiming that Crytek was suing the wrong company so the lawsuit was invalid.

It's kind of funny how obvious it is.

A third of a billion dollars everyone.

"Oh you are suing Cloud Imperium Games? We are Cloud Imperium Games Limited. Checkmate."
"Your complaint is against Roberts Space Industries? We are Cloud Imperium Games?"
"You are contacting Roberts Space Industries Corp? We are Roberts Space Industries."

WE REFUSE TO CREATE JOINDER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
We are sovereign citizens of the **stars**

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Neukoln19 posted:

Star citizen on PS4 when??

shortly after halo

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

e: sorry wrong thread

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

can someone update me on the current legal situations that star citizen is in? I ignored it for like a year.

Did Crytek successfully sue them? Is Sandi still on the grift? Have they done any more "conventions"? Did SQ42 come out?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

a cyberpunk goose posted:

can someone update me on the current legal situations that star citizen is in? I ignored it for like a year.

Did Crytek successfully sue them? Is Sandi still on the grift? Have they done any more "conventions"? Did SQ42 come out?

Sandi is officially on the board of directors(now) and the Crytek thing is still ongoing.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

CI!G successfully got some of the complaints dismissed, but enough stuck that they're going to discovery. There has also been mention of settlement talks, but nothing definitive. Crytek also recently changed representation to what would appear to be a cheaper, smaller law firm. No reason was given as to why.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Krycek posted:

CI!G successfully got some of the complaints dismissed, but enough stuck that they're going to discovery. There has also been mention of settlement talks, but nothing definitive. Crytek also recently changed representation to what would appear to be a cheaper, smaller law firm. No reason was given as to why.

Did Crytek underestimate the power of legally reinforced grift and the wallet drain involved in chasing such a legal case?

MarcusSA posted:

Sandi is officially on the board of directors(now) and the Crytek thing is still ongoing.

lol

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Did Crytek underestimate the power of legally reinforced grift and the wallet drain involved in chasing such a legal case?

Likely

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol
Pretty much.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Chalk me up as someone else who got burnt by DF for Spacebase.

There was a time when there just total silence from the dervelopers and then a long winded response about how they said they were never going to abandon the project and so on. Then exactly a month later proclaiming they were only a month away from 1.0 despite there being barely anything to do in the game.

I guess its important to note that DF had different teams working on different poo poo and they clearly bit off more than they could chew, but it still stung and they didnt own up to their bullshit.

Then i figured id only buy doublefine again if it were psychonauts. But then there new psychonauts game was VR exclusive. Bleh.

Oh well, never sunk money into star citizen at least. Never played wing commander so I didnt really care when the Kickstarter started and especially dont care to invest now. Has been a riot of laughes though.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I didn't back Spacebase but I wanted it to be a thing because I love simulation games. I really want a Dwarf Fortress esque game but with some nice isometric graphics.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Elderbean posted:

I didn't back Spacebase but I wanted it to be a thing because I love simulation games. I really want a Dwarf Fortress esque game but with some nice isometric graphics.

You should check out Space Haven. Not directly Dwarf Fortress, but from what I've seen it looks interesting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't Crytek broke for probably their own reasons?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Rimworld?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Elderbean posted:

Kenshi might be sort of relevant for you. A bit buggy and generally doesn't look that good, but it's just a big sandbox RPG/RTS where you do whatever you feel like and possibly die during the attempt :D
There's a thread about it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862574

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I would say that Spacebase is one of the most scummy things a company has done, taking money from people then openly abandoning it with some half-hearted "you guys can fix it yourselves if you want" comment. Then using that money to work on another game.

And yes, I say this while being aware that I'm posting in the Star Citizen thread.

Zeniel posted:

Chalk me up as someone else who got burnt by DF for Spacebase.

There was a time when there just total silence from the dervelopers and then a long winded response about how they said they were never going to abandon the project and so on. Then exactly a month later proclaiming they were only a month away from 1.0 despite there being barely anything to do in the game.

I guess its important to note that DF had different teams working on different poo poo and they clearly bit off more than they could chew, but it still stung and they didnt own up to their bullshit.

Don't forget that prior to their announcement of 1.0 they had a section up on the game's website with all the stuff they were going to add that suddenly disappeared just before they announced they were abandoning the game.

The whole thing was really poorly handled. It was like everything bad about early access in a single game: terrible, no content debut with a dev team that didn't communicate anything and then dropping the game. I feel like I recall some weird entitlement or disappointment on their end too but I might be misremembering.

Chitin posted:

Rimworld?

For me, Rimworld is close but really lacks the social and personality stuff that DF has. There is some there but only barely.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't Crytek broke for probably their own reasons?

What happened to their billionaire Turkish backer?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Got poached by CiG

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
So here's an interesting article in how Warframe will avoid the physics calculations of players in a ship moving around a level:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-secret-to-warframes-ship-to-ship-space-combat-is-that-the-ship-doesnt-actually-move/

The crux of it seems to be clever use of world portals

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think a key trick to game presentation is making the game look a lot more realistic and complicated than it really is.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sardonik posted:

So here's an interesting article in how Warframe will avoid the physics calculations of players in a ship moving around a level:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-secret-to-warframes-ship-to-ship-space-combat-is-that-the-ship-doesnt-actually-move/

This is a brilliant approach, and it puts the Star Citizen devs to shame.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

There Bias Two posted:

Just like not committing a total fraud puts the star citizen devs to shame.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Torquemada posted:

Crytek had a big money investment by the government of Turkey, not a billionaire.

OTOH Turkey's exchange rate has been cratering the past two years so who knows how much of that they actually got.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

A half life 2 mod from 2007 did this, even: https://store.steampowered.com/app/17550/Eternal_Silence/

It was dope, the combat had some really clever features too. I had a blast having ridiculous dog fights punctuated by boarding enemy bases and doin some grunt shooting.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Thursday Next posted:

there ARE no good people involved with star citizen.

I know one good one, off in the wings of CIG (not making the actual game, but still in the process somewhere). This particular person even ended up on some streams in the past.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

A half life 2 mod from 2007 did this, even: https://store.steampowered.com/app/17550/Eternal_Silence/

It was dope, the combat had some really clever features too. I had a blast having ridiculous dog fights punctuated by boarding enemy bases and doin some grunt shooting.

Battlefront 2 did this in 2005. Two years earlier even.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Sardonik posted:

It's interesting because this is a very practical and realistic approach to something that would be near impossible otherwise. It's the mark of a good developer when they come up with clever solutions like this instead of trying to render a billion moving parts in real time.

Edit: lol they even cast shade at Star Citizen in that article.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 12, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I played No Man's Sky for the first time the other day. It seemed boring. And confusing.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Play posted:

I played No Man's Sky for the first time the other day. It seemed boring. And confusing.

No Man's Sky will never not be a pile of poo poo, and I hate how people have essentially forgiven the game simply because they've added some new content to it.

But like I said, gamers have no integrity.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
no man's buy :smuggo:

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Sankis posted:

For me, Rimworld is close but really lacks the social and personality stuff that DF has. There is some there but only barely.

Try it with Psychology and Colony Manager. There are probably more now that the game has hit 1.0!

LazyArtistry
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.

Play posted:

I bought it on recommendation from a friend who said 'it got better'.

It didn't. After playing for a few hours I wondered why I was just playing a lovely minecraft in space with crummy survival mechanics.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think a key trick to game presentation is making the game look a lot more realistic and complicated than it really is.

Yes, this is a key concept that smart developers embrace.
So of course it has no place in SC.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I usually expect developers to use clever tricks and shortcuts to make games do all kinds of poo poo without sacrificing performance. Star Citizen is one of the few times I’ve seen where the developer thinks they are too good to do these things.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sankis posted:

Imo Rimworld really sucks, and I don't see why some people like it so much. It's so incredibly shallow and boring compared to DF, that it barely deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence, it lacks all the draws of the original, and brings in pretty much no new elements that could make up for those deficiencies.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Sardonik posted:

The real comedy gold that will almost certainly come out of this will be all the Citizens having an aneurysm over this article because it's praising Warframe for using cheap tricks while SC is trying to do things the right way

edit: Rimworld's biggest problem is that there's no Z dimension. Sorry but my fortress plans are a little bit grander than just a bunch of flat rectangles :colbert:

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 13, 2019

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Bofast posted:

Do you get a new one every year? If so, maybe you could switch to renewing the laptop every two years and get a desktop every two years on an alternating basis? It's not like performance goes up that much from year to year anyway.

I do get a new one every year, although sometimes I get a used one if I find a deal. I usually give the previous year's computer to a family member. I'd considered building a desktop and keeping one of the laptops as a portable work machine, but most of my usable desk space at home is taken up by my 3d printer so I'm kinda limited anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Also, did I read that Crytek is throttling back their lawsuit with SC? Cults have deep pockets.