Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I believe there's a way to set up a Patreon as essentially a "tip jar" - that is to say, no monthly contributions required, no backer content, no stretch goals, just "hey if you feel the need to toss some cash in here I won't stop you."

All you would need to satisfy my humble tip at least (and probably more than three fourths of all patrons) is write a paragraph or two about how you felt the game went that month. Just a basic status update so people know they matter, no need to expand things.

Basically your patron base would be from this and any future replacement thread and would probably only start attriting seriously if you took a half year break or longer (just avoid unannounced breaks). You're likely to have very loyal patrons from over half a decade of free entertainment, similar to certain long running web comics and web serials.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Plenty of people just put joke donation levels and have people chip in what they will. It won't be much of anything if you don't advertise it constantly, tho.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I dunno if it's actually against forum rules or not, but I know Jade Star has a Patreon on his stream page. It's his root beer fund!

So at the very least, you wouldn't be the first LPer here who made use of it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's actually a bunch of goons from Let's Play who have Patreons.

Even Atma, the sprite CYOA guy from GBS, has one.

The "no self-shilling" rule was made looong before the rest of the internet made it acceptable or even expected.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Xarbala posted:

There's actually a bunch of goons from Let's Play who have Patreons.

Even Atma, the sprite CYOA guy from GBS, has one.

The "no self-shilling" rule was made looong before the rest of the internet made it acceptable or even expected.

There's also a difference between having a tip jar on the counter and trying to shake people down for money. I'm sure if someone signed every one of their LP updates with a link to their Patreon, they'd get a talking to for actually shilling. Just having a Patreon out there for people who like your stuff to contribute to isn't nearly the same thing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zaodai posted:

There's also a difference between having a tip jar on the counter and trying to shake people down for money. I'm sure if someone signed every one of their LP updates with a link to their Patreon, they'd get a talking to for actually shilling. Just having a Patreon out there for people who like your stuff to contribute to isn't nearly the same thing.

This is true.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Given that us forum regulars here are strongly indicating they'd be happy to toss you :10bux: or so I think you're fairly safe from the spirit of the rule.

Alternate suggestion; make Leperfish solicit the donations.

E: \/ \/ \/ It's a joke! (Also I keep forgetting your username isn't actually 'Leperfish')

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 26, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I realize I've organized a thing or two around here, but it's sort of weird that people think I'm some kind of...

...ehh...

OK, yeah, in all fairness yes. I do the TG secret santa, I collect and distribute the money for a goon fantasy football league, and I literally enjoy spreadsheets. All that said, I really don't want to handle someone else's money, and I'm certain PTN is up to it if it's something he actually wants to do.

I am willing to volunteer in some other capacity, though. For example, I will drink a weird drink in exchange for some minor reward. I will make a spreadsheet or wiki or do some indexing or something. I have Strong Opinions about proper indexing techniques and I haven't had occasion to do any professional indexing for, oh, at least like six years now.

Actually screw indexing, glossaries are way way more fun. Anyone need a glossary?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Thread glossary for things like TAC okay go

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I actually like the beefier arms on the Mad Cat, I just wish they weren't shorter too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I wonder if I should reduce the normal cruising/flanking to-hit penalty for vehicles that travel in a straight line without drifting or turning.

Edit: Also I just put a question out to the players. Please answer if you get the chance.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 26, 2016

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I wonder if I should reduce the normal cruising/flanking to-hit penalty for vehicles that travel in a straight line without drifting or turning.

Edit: Also I just put a question out to the players. Please answer if you get the chance.

Reduce the penalty for hitting them, or the penalty for shooting while driving in a straight line? :tinfoil:

I got blown up, didn't I?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Grave Digger: Tactical Update 8

Cantankerous stared through a gap in his fingers as he rested his left hand on his three-quarters mask. His one good eye stared, bleary, dry, and unblinking. Droplets of blood still sprayed from the front of the massive rotary saw affixed to the front of his repurposed tank. The turret whined and swiveled, its operator flexing the teeth of the backhoe that normally hung out the back like a tail. The kid was nearly as eager as Cantankerous to put it to use, either against a target up front or against something behind. Good.

One of the rogue Vedettes came to a rolling stop as Chastity’s Bulldog set it on fire. The crew inside would have more to worry about than simply driving for the foreseeable future—unless they got lucky they’d be nearly dead in the water and the convoy could blow past them without trouble. The bigger concern was the boat.

The Devil’s Due. The desert’s most infamous salvage crew, who’d repurposed a heavy naval vessel into something resembling a tank. At eighty tons the Devil’s Due outmuscled the common Desert Hawgs most sensible salvagers used, and its custom-built drive train made it as swift in reverse as it was in forward gear. That meant it could nearly always point its heavily-armored prow—or, at worst, its belt armor—at an attacker. The whole thing was topped off with a heavy Autocannon, giving them more punch than nearly any other vehicle that crossed the sands.

It was a worthy prey, and one Cantankerous had always hoped to claim.

Shooting Phase
Marsden II (Player)
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Vedette (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 (Standard HE) at Vedette (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 (Standard HE) at Vedette (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 8, miss!

Goblin Medium Tank "Diamondback" (Player)
- Fires Heavy Chemical Laser at Vedette (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires Heavy Chemical Laser at Vedette (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 9, miss!

Bulldog Medium Tank (Player)
- Fires SRM-4 (Inferno) at Vedette(BAGC) (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 (Inferno) at Vedette (BAGC) (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 10, 3 missiles hit! Inferno Crit! Inferno Crit! Inferno Crit!
- Fires Heavy Rifle at Vedette (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 secondary target = 12): rolled 7, miss!

Thor Artillery Vehicle "Exhumer" (Player)
- Holds fire!

Dig Lord “Sancho Panzer” (Player)
- No orders received!

Vedette (BAGC)
- Fires Light Autocannon/5 at Thor (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, miss!

Vedette
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Goblin (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Turret (21/26 armor remaining)!

Turn End Phase
Vedette (BAGC)
- Inferno critical chance: rolled 6, crew stunned!
- Inferno critical chance: rolled 6, crew stunned!
- Inferno critical chance: rolled 7, crew stunned!

Player Status:

Ally Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Drifting: Vehicles may shift one column to the left or right during the movement phase without expending an MP to turn, provided the move does not cross through an enemy unit or terrain that would cost additional MP. Adjacent vehicles may be rammed for low damage with a sideswipe and lighter vehicles may be knocked off course next turn!
Half-Height Terrain: All terrain features rise to only half their normal height. Vehicles behind a height 1 hill may still attack and be attacked, but may only receive damage to their turrets. Vehicles without turrets are hidden as normal. Hills only cost 1 MP to climb rather than the additional 2. BattleMech and IndustrialMech units treat height 1 hexes as if they are clear terrain, height 2 as if they are height 1, etc.
Oases: Oases are surrounded by boggy soil that will trap ground vehicles and may attract native fauna.
Mirages: Heat shimmer can make water appear where there is none. Mirages may be driven through safely but may hide other features.
Redline the Engines: The Desert Hawg’s speed cannot be reduced by damage or critical hits.

Primary Objectives
- Protect the Desert Hawg (0/1)
- Disable or destroy the Devil’s Due (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Drive away or destroy Scarback (0/1)
- Destroy the ???? (0/1)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Personally I wouldn't. From what I understand, normal movement still assumes some level of zig-zag and basic evasion even if in terms of hexes you just go in a straight line, since hexes are 30 meters across. The optional rules for Sprinting are meant to reflect a straight out run with no defensive maneuvering at all, and do provide an automatic -1 TMM to any unit who uses it.

Edit: Ooooh, Fuel Cell boat tank. Fancy!

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 26, 2016

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's not every day you get to sink a battleship in the desert.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You have no idea how tempted I was to make it a multi-hex monstrosity.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm trying to picture the thing Peter Strauss was fighting on in Spacehunter. Although come to think of it that was actually just a train. Meh. Not as cool as a desert boat.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Oh hey a Fuel Cell engined vehicle. That's new.

Tbh I wonder why there aren't more Fuel Cell engine units. They're straight-up better than ICEs in every way and for ballistic-heavy units like the Alacorn better than fusion engines even because they don't need shielding.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MJ12 posted:

Oh hey a Fuel Cell engined vehicle. That's new.

They're prone to explosions and if you lose access to fusion reactors they run out of power pretty quickly.

I mean, they're not more prone to exploding than ICE engines (they're equally detonation prone), but a fusion engine treats a fuel tank hit as an engine hit which is preferable to "everyone in the tank dies AND it explodes into a not-immediately-salvageable fireball" which is what happens if you take a fuel tank hit.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 27, 2016

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

That can be its final form.

Quadboatvee.

You know, when it gets up and stretches its legs like a cybran ship.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're prone to explosions and if you lose access to fusion reactors they run out of power pretty quickly.

I mean, they're not more prone to exploding than ICE engines (they're equally detonation prone), but a fusion engine treats a fuel tank hit as an engine hit which is preferable to "everyone in the tank dies AND it explodes into a not-immediately-salvageable fireball" which is what happens if you take a fuel tank hit.

I know that ~Battletech~ regards physics as a mere suggestion, but the later era dreadnought torpedo belts often stored fuel oil. If there are no fumes, oil is surprisingly hard to light on fire.

Of course, 80s movie physics say that a gasoline tank instantly explodes when shot by a single bullet. So I'm not suprised Battletech went there.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

golden bubble posted:

Of course, 80s movie physics say that a gasoline tank instantly explodes when shot by a single bullet. So I'm not suprised Battletech went there.

More realistically the insides fill with gasoline vapors and catch fire, which isn't as big a problem for modern tanks as it was during World War II (thanks to not using oil-based paints to protect the steel), but it's still a big problem.

Tanks don't like being on fire, and having all of the electronics burned out makes salvaging a lot more difficult.

The only thing that happens to a fusion (or fission) engine that takes a hit is that it powers down.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Does anything actually like to be on fire besides loyal Capellans?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

MJ12 posted:

Tbh I wonder why there aren't more Fuel Cell engine units. They're straight-up better than ICEs in every way and for ballistic-heavy units like the Alacorn better than fusion engines even because they don't need shielding.

There aren't more because Fuel Cell got ret-conned into the availability it currently has; most of the ubiquitous vehicles were made before Fuel Cell engines had been introduced. You see more fuel cell vees as the timeline progresses in canon BT, since as you say for vehicles that aren't focusing on energy weapons are better off using Fuel Cell over ICE.

PoptartsNinja posted:

And you have no idea how disappointed I am. I can only hope we see such a thing in a future battle.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

TheParadigm posted:

That can be its final form.

Quadboatvee.

You know, when it gets up and stretches its legs like a cybran ship.

Ahem, obviously we've crossed over from Battletech and Mad Max into something... different.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

And you have no idea how disappointed I am. I can only hope we see such a thing in a future battle.

No one on the field is equipped to handle a multi-hex naval vehicle.

We'd be here for 40 turns trying to punch through hundreds of armor.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 27, 2016

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

No one on the field is equipped to handle a multi-hex naval vehicle.

We'd be here for 40 turns trying to punch through hundreds of armor.

So.... future battle? Because I am so ready for this. Some people like wrestlemechs. I like giant multi-hex landships.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Have a picture I spent ~30 minutes on to be my patreon profile image.

I feel bad about linking it directly, but it's been added to the info on my twitch stream

Hopefully the rewards are cool?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 27, 2016

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Was not expecting to get that lucky with those SRMs :stare:. Moving to 0509 and facing to 0608 (probably), but can't decide between shooting the teal Vedette with the cannon, or the boat. Probably going to try and shoot pink there with the MG just for fun, if I can.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Marsden II

Orders in.
I'll go for backshots on blue, switching back to deadfire, those HE rounds are defective.
and moving to 1307 and facing 1206

Am I getting vehicle rules wrong or did the blue vedette move 9 this turn?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Have a picture I spent ~30 minutes on to be my patreon profile image.

I feel bad about linking it directly, but it's been added to the info on my twitch stream

Hopefully the rewards are cool?

The rewards seem fine to me. The downside is now I have to think of something to suggest!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Woo, first mercenary created.

Edit: Wow, Patreon's system loves putting paragraph breaks everywhere.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 27, 2016

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

terrenblade posted:

Marsden II
Am I getting vehicle rules wrong or did the blue vedette move 9 this turn?

You're right, it did in fact move 9 (good find, by the way): 4 to 1205, 1 to face to 1204, 1 to move to 1204, 1 to face 1103, 2 to move to 1103. Sadly, it can still reach there with 7 move points, albeit with a +2 move mod, not +3. If the Goblin had rolled one point higher, that would definitely matter, but no such luck, sadly.

While we're at it though, did the enemy shoot the Goblin or the Bulldog? The Bulldog shows the damage, but the Goblin has the text: I'm pretty sure it would mention the light woods if the Bulldog was shot, so I'm assuming the unit cards got mixed up.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Woo, first mercenary created.

Edit: Wow, Patreon's system loves putting paragraph breaks everywhere.

The Patreon page was unclear, are the Mercenary characters created also in-universe for the LP, or are they like the Merc Companies where they're being created for tabletop use? I went with it either way because :homebrew:, but I figured I'd ask.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm writing them with Real BattleTech Canon in mind, but if I get a chance to use one of them in a mission I will.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm writing them with Real BattleTech Canon in mind, but if I get a chance to use one of them in a mission I will.

Just got the email about mine. He has a penchant for PPCs and starting fires to "flush out infantry". :getin: He also worked for a unit called the Hot Heads, and told the FWL "NO, YOU SHUT UP!" as a kid.

It's basically perfect.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah I'll throw in five bucks.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

You've got my five bucks too, PTN.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Hey so I've been reading this for a long time, just got caught up. This has been an incredible LP. Keep it up PTN. I'm currently reinstalling Megamek because of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Soooo hold on. If I donate to this Patreon I will receive my very own hand-crafted hard-bitten PTN mercenary, made from finest space-80s cardboard and fed on pure whiskey and gravel?

• Locked thread