Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

48 hours orders phase - unless people would be more conformable with 72

Next turn will be 2 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Well, that didn't go too badly. Can we get some artillery on that heavy concentration of infantry?

Also, I'm encouraged by that alleged plane hitting nothing, seems we're all in good spots.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Arbite posted:

Well, that didn't go too badly. Can we get some artillery on that heavy concentration of infantry?

Also, I'm encouraged by that alleged plane hitting nothing, seems we're all in good spots.

It didn't hit anything because it didn't make its attack run, that was its spotting sortie I missed in the video.....

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Grey Hunter posted:

It didn't hit anything because it didn't make its attack run, that was its spotting sortie I missed in the video.....

You always say the sweetest things. :allears:

Phone posting, will watch ASAP.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I am alive! It was indeed my assistant who died!

Velius, please doublecheck your HMGs. They seem to have abandoned the main building. Specific placement is still up to you, I'm just making sure this is not a mistake. And since you have the game, please send me screenshots of what you can see from your intended positions. I'm particularly interested in how far to the SE you can fire. Thanks.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Can someone confirm, is my unit the ones in purple? It looked like when it was highlighted on the video that one of the HMG units is all the way back in the east village, which is not where (I think) was intended in the orders.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

markus_cz posted:

I am alive! It was indeed my assistant who died!

Velius, please doublecheck your HMGs. They seem to have abandoned the main building. Specific placement is still up to you, I'm just making sure this is not a mistake. And since you have the game, please send me screenshots of what you can see from your intended positions. I'm particularly interested in how far to the SE you can fire. Thanks.

From what I can tell Grey seems to have either reversed the move order or done something else entirely. Best guess is he decided to move my squad from the big, L shaped building to the smaller building in the north east, to join that team instead of doing the reverse. Without a closer zoom I can't tell exactly.

What this means is I have no eyes on the southeast at all until one or both teams move back, and we're four minutes out, minimum, before they can shoot that way.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

So they're just coming at us with rifles for the moment. That's good. That team from 2nd Platoon opened fire from pretty far away. I guess they didn't have a target arc. They still managed to pin down those Russians and take a couple of them down in the process though.

They've taken zero return fire so now might be a good time to pull that one team back. Everyone else can stay put. Alternatively, we can have them keep firing for a little while longer (maybe just a few seconds) before pulling out. The Russians look like they are in a bad spot there. They don't seem to have anyone else in the area yet who can fire back (maybe those IS-2s up north can? I dunno) and they are just riflemen.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The IS2s are unbuttoned. This means :black101:

Sniper teams, you are cleared to fire. Grey, could you move the westmost sniper team to the westmost edge of the forest under hunt orders?

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Try to resist the urge to get yourself killed Herp.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

A: I have attempted, but failed.

B: We can hide further into the forest and then sneak to the eastern edge of the forest.

C:

markus_cz posted:

EDIT: Herpicle or Affi, whoever is up north, I dare you to headshot their tanks' commanders!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Kenzie posted:

So they're just coming at us with rifles for the moment. That's good. That team from 2nd Platoon opened fire from pretty far away. I guess they didn't have a target arc. They still managed to pin down those Russians and take a couple of them down in the process though.

They've taken zero return fire so now might be a good time to pull that one team back. Everyone else can stay put. Alternatively, we can have them keep firing for a little while longer (maybe just a few seconds) before pulling out. The Russians look like they are in a bad spot there. They don't seem to have anyone else in the area yet who can fire back (maybe those IS-2s up north can? I dunno) and they are just riflemen.

That team can probably fire for another 30-45 seconds before the Russians start hustling tanks in to flush them out.

It might make sense to rush that platoon into firing positions, have them fire at the Russians for 30 seconds (use the "Target Briefly" command, which makes troops fire for 15 seconds) then book it out of there.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

We've spotted one whole platoon so far, so we can assume that the rest of their company is nearby. The same goes for that one infantry contact in the south. Even though it's only one contact, the rest of their unit is probably around there somewhere.

I think we might have just spotted the attack route of two of their companies. One is moving toward our Route BORIS, and the other up Route MASHA. If they have more moving toward VASILY, then they are probably in the middle of that big cornfield right now, or moving through the woods toward that sniper team.

The Soviet team might be making the same assumptions about us right now. They know we have guys in the woods now, but not how many. They've only seen one team open fire, so they will probably think we have a platoon along that treeline now, with the rest of the company nearby. It would be nice if we can just keep harassing them with sporadic fire from a couple of teams here and there and not reveal too much of our strength. I don't think it would be a good idea to let them know we have two entire companies deployed this far forward.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The IS2s are unbuttoned. This means :black101:

Sniper teams, you are cleared to fire. Grey, could you move the westmost sniper team to the westmost edge of the forest under hunt orders?

While it would be hilarious if you manage to pick one off, keep in mind that you can't give them orders again for two whole turns. They will just sit there and keep on firing for those two full minutes and possibly get killed. I recommend giving them a pause order and an order to crawl away after 20 seconds or so.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kenzie posted:

While it would be hilarious if you manage to pick one off, keep in mind that you can't give them orders again for two whole turns. They will just sit there and keep on firing for those two full minutes and possibly get killed. I recommend giving them a pause order and an order to crawl away after 20 seconds or so.

At such a range and with so much cover, I think my guys'll be fine for the two minutes.

And I'm guessing they'll be bringing at least four companies to bear, maybe three depending on how much armour they have in total. They're the attacker, so they are bound to have plenty of troops. I'm thinking from that one contact, they're flanking us with their armour and swinging around to the north edge of East Town, planning to encircle us with speed.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
You can be sure the russians are gonna pour a lot of fire power into that treeline now

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Just checked 2/2s orders. He forgot to specify target arcs.
So maybe a good idea for the rest of the commanders to check and see if they forgot too.
This was a missed opportunity.
In an ambush you want to get as many of the enemy in the open and open up at once.
If we instead of one mg, had 3 or 4 opening up at once, while they were halfway across the field, that would have been optimal.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

**remember to post your orders in the spreadsheet and us the orders banner!**

Ok, gentlemen.

It's time to make some minor adjustments to our defense.

sniper4625, hold tight for the time being. If the Soviets don't move down Route GREGORY in the next 10-15 mins, start shuffling your men into positions to defend Attack Routes MASHA and VASILIY. It get the feeling 2 Company is gonna be hard-pressed these next few turns

Kenzie, deal with the Soviet infantry in the East at your discretion. Try to inflict casualties and spook the Soviets. Don't expose your force too long or take too many losses. If you need to fall back a short distance, you're cleared to do so.

HerpicleOmnicron5, figure out what's happening with those IS-2s in the north-east and that scout tank/armored in Area IGOR. Those areas are swarming with Soviets, so don't stay in one place too long and don't expose yourself. Stealth is your only advantage. Be careful and stay alive. I trust you to do a good job.

Affi, there's Soviet tanks at the SE end of Route 66 and Soviet infantry in the middle of the map heading south. I need intel on the Soviet force's 1) size 2) composition 3) location and 4) intent. Move your snipers accordingly. Be careful, Mirkwood probably has Soviet troops in in.

gradenko_2000, It's time to start reshuffling our armor. The Soviets appear to be moving along Attack Routes ANNA, VASILIY, and MASHA. I need your armor to respond accordingly. Move into ambush positions that can engage Soviet troops on these routes. If you need help finding good sites, let me know and I can give you some ideas.

Jaguars!'s previous post is a good summary of what I need you to do.

Jaguars! posted:

Provisional orders for Armoured Platoon (Gradenko)
You have the following priorities this turn. (Plan for another 5 minute turn)

1. How are we going to eliminate the scout tank advancing in the north? do we want to give away the position of the stationary 88s to get it? Discuss and form a plan collaboratively.

2. Be prepared to defend against main force tanks travelling up route 66 and the railroad. You should know where they are expected to appear, if not, educate yourself. Modify your position if appropriate. Currently spotted tanks are probably mostly overwatch and won't move for a few minutes.

3. Ensure that your end positions don't have a long run in for aircraft. This can be done by having buildings, trees and ridgelines to the east of you. It will be impossible to get perfect aircover because you need to be in position for the ground battle, but make yourself a hard target.

4. Someone in armoured platoon please check Gradenko's tank and issue some orders for it. Luckily, it shouldn't come into play for a few more turns, so it might not need to move.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Given that we aren't seeing much coming directly up Route 66 in the south, and that the infantry contact may also be moving along the path (southwest through the woods), it seems about equally likely that they're either sending the "2 Company" to scout the bridge or down towards Gregory. Vehicles are either being held back or are routing on those paths and we just haven't spotted them. Affi's guys ought to notice one way or the other.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 2, 2014

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Kangra posted:

Given that we aren't seeing much coming directly up Route 66 in the south, and that the infantry contact may also be moving along the past (southwest through the woods), it seems about equally likely that they're either sending the "2 Company" to scout the bridge or down towards Gregory. Vehicles are either being held back or are routing on those paths and we just haven't spotted them. Affi's guys ought to notice one way or the other.

Affi needs to move his people (not much, just a little bit) so they can actually see the roads/paths/fields. Right now they're sitting in the woods munching strudel.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Bacarruda posted:

That team can probably fire for another 30-45 seconds before the Russians start hustling tanks in to flush them out.

It might make sense to rush that platoon into firing positions, have them fire at the Russians for 30 seconds (use the "Target Briefly" command, which makes troops fire for 15 seconds) then book it out of there.

I was looking at ranges in the game, and that Russian platoon is over 300 meters away from the team that was shooting at them. The rest of our platoon there is spread out along a 100 meter front or so. If we rush our whole platoon forward, some of the teams will be firing from 400 meters away and will be unlikely to do much except suppress them, especially since the Russians will be taking cover starting in the next turn. Meanwhile, the positions of our entire platoon will be revealed.

I think it might be better to just withdraw that one team after a few more seconds. Like Vuk83 said, the Russians might be pouring a lot of firepower into those trees. Our platoon there is so spread out though that I think we might be okay, and the Russians might just end up wasting a bunch of ammo on empty ground. At least I hope so. Once it quiets down and the Russians start moving again, we can open fire again later.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Kenzie posted:

I was looking at ranges in the game, and that Russian platoon is over 300 meters away from the team that was shooting at them. The rest of our platoon there is spread out along a 100 meter front or so. If we rush our whole platoon forward, some of the teams will be firing from 400 meters away and will be unlikely to do much except suppress them, especially since the Russians will be taking cover starting in the next turn. Meanwhile, the positions of our entire platoon will be revealed.

I think it might be better to just withdraw that one team after a few more seconds. Like Vuk83 said, the Russians might be pouring a lot of firepower into those trees. Our platoon there is so spread out though that I think we might be okay, and the Russians might just end up wasting a bunch of ammo on empty ground. At least I hope so. Once it quiets down and the Russians start moving again, we can open fire again later.

It's entirely up to you and Dark_Swordmaster.

We are in a good position to kill that Rifle Platoon while its in the open, so I would like 2/2 to keep throwing some lead at them.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

gradenko_2000, It's time to start reshuffling our armor. The Soviets appear to be moving along Attack Routes ANNA, VASILIY, and MASHA. I need your armor to respond accordingly. Move into ambush positions that can engage Soviet troops on these routes. If you need help finding good sites, let me know and I can give you some ideas.

I know this part of the post is directed at gradenko, but I'd appreciate some advice. I'm not 100% convinced I'm in cover (though Grey Hunter was magnanimous enough to get my Tiger to reverse into the forest). I'm thinking of moving to the East since it seems the enemy is concentrating mostly on the northern routes. Not too far forward, just enough that I can respond quickly if an urgent need for my Tiger's firepower arises.

However, I'm concerned that if I do so I might be leaving the southern flank open. I mean, sure, as the situation currently is it appears they're not particularly bothered about it. But I do feel slightly uncomfortable about leaving the south of the map without overwatch (on my part). Though since the next turn is a 2 minute one I suppose that if they make any serious effort to sweep south I can help lock down the southern approach once the turn ends.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Soup Inspector posted:

I know this part of the post is directed at gradenko, but I'd appreciate some advice. I'm not 100% convinced I'm in cover (though Grey Hunter was magnanimous enough to get my Tiger to reverse into the forest). I'm thinking of moving to the East since it seems the enemy is concentrating mostly on the northern routes. Not too far forward, just enough that I can respond quickly if an urgent need for my Tiger's firepower arises.

However, I'm concerned that if I do so I might be leaving the southern flank open. I mean, sure, as the situation currently is it appears they're not particularly bothered about it. But I do feel slightly uncomfortable about leaving the south of the map without overwatch (on my part). Though since the next turn is a 2 minute one I suppose that if they make any serious effort to sweep south I can help lock down the southern approach once the turn ends.

Go with whatever the rest of your company comes up with, but, treating you strictly as an independent unit, I think stick to your current task. we think they aren't coming your way, but we need to be sure. trust your mates to take care of the rest of the stuff up north for the moment. Also, if they are foolish enough not to send anything your way, you may be able to roll forward and flank the forces coming up through the Mirkwood area (The forests to your south), which would likely be absolutely devastating to them.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Bacarruda posted:

It's entirely up to you and Dark_Swordmaster.

We are in a good position to kill that Rifle Platoon while its in the open, so I would like 2/2 to keep throwing some lead at them.

It looks like their IS-2s can fire right at the exact spot where that 2/2 team is located. I was testing their LOS in the game. All they would have to do is turn their turrets to the left a bit and fire. Starting on the next turn, the Soviets might order the tanks to area fire at that spot (it's what I would do if I were them). It would take about 10-15 seconds for them to fire, and then we will have giant 122mm HE shells exploding in those trees.

Based on this, I think it might be a better idea to get the hell out of there sooner rather than later. I think most of our guys will be okay if they stay down, but I might want that one team to get outta there fast. I don't think we could kill that enemy platoon anyway. They're too far away and we don't have enough firepower. We could cause a couple more casualties, but it would take too long, and within the next 2 minutes more enemy units might start showing up and shooting back at us.

I'm thinking we should remain cautious. I'd like us to be elusive and continue to harass them, but not get heavily engaged. I don't wanna give the Russian team the satisfaction of knowing where we are. We may have discouraged them from running across that open field into the Entwood for now, which is good enough for me.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A quick point arising from our Roll20 discussion this morning:

Should we do a preemptive mortar strike on the mirkwood treeline that will arrive right as the southern russian infantry come into the area? Even if it doesn't cause casualties it will cause them to slow down as they realise they are being watched and they have no idea where we are.

Also talked a bit about 2 Company, but you guys should be fine to sort it out.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Right then

Sit tight. Double check your targeting arcs, make sure they're 100m.

Dralun
May 22, 2012

4 Company(-)

Continue current orders

Dralun
May 22, 2012
Regarding my infantry guns, would you rather me remove all target arcs and shoot as things become visible, only target arc on certain areas, or keep on hiding until we have a firmer picture?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

Go with whatever the rest of your company comes up with, but, treating you strictly as an independent unit, I think stick to your current task. we think they aren't coming your way, but we need to be sure. trust your mates to take care of the rest of the stuff up north for the moment. Also, if they are foolish enough not to send anything your way, you may be able to roll forward and flank the forces coming up through the Mirkwood area (The forests to your south), which would likely be absolutely devastating to them.

Yeah, there's a lot of great ambush positions in the Entwood you can use to counter MASHA and GREGORY. There's a really great in the southern Entwood that I noted earlier.

If they head into town, you might want to consider using that position for a turn or two.

Bacarruda posted:

At the southern end of the Troll Forest (green), there's a bend in the treeline. If you put a tank there, they can get a flank shot on anything heading into town via Route VASILIY. It's a great position in to ambush the Russians from. Your right flank will be exposed, though, so make you have someone watching your back. Also, pathfinding in trees is a bitch, so you won't be able to get into the woods proper.

You could throw monkey wrench in the Russian's southern attacks. Use ambushes, be sneaky, and stay mobile.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

Should we do a preemptive mortar strike on the mirkwood treeline that will arrive right as the southern russian infantry come into the area? Even if it doesn't cause casualties it will cause them to slow down as they realise they are being watched and they have no idea where we are.

Also talked a bit about 2 Company, but you guys should be fine to sort it out.

My thoughts on this is that we still don't know where those troops are going, or if that's the main thrust of the attack (e:in this area). I see three possibilities:
1) They are moving straight through Mirkwood, most likely to clear the road approach to OK Corral.
2) They are only heading through Mirkwood on their way down to a path like Gregory (or to approach Troll Forest from the south). More or less movement on Mirkwood Path.
3) They're clearing Mirkwood to make it safe to move tanks down there.

I'd put #1 as most likely, with #3 somewhat less likely and #2 least likely. If we don't use the mortars here we have a fair amount of firepower already in this area which should work to slow them down (in which case anything that's not a direct hit is kind of wasted).

I'd just question if it's the best use of resources, but ultimately the call is up to the big picture folks. If we guess right and hit them, it could well be a major factor in shutting down their approach in this direction.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 3, 2014

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

If we had more ammo, I'd say yes. Sadly, we don't have the rounds for speculative missions. Our fires plan at this point is a "fix, then fire" approach. We'll use infantry small arms to pin the Russians, then hit them with our mortars.

Kenzie posted:

I'm thinking we should remain cautious. I'd like us to be elusive and continue to harass them, but not get heavily engaged. I don't wanna give the Russian team the satisfaction of knowing where we are. We may have discouraged them from running across that open field into the Entwood for now, which is good enough for me.

Fair enough. A low-risk harassment approach is a smart move at this point in the game

Dralun posted:

Regarding my infantry guns, would you rather me remove all target arcs and shoot as things become visible, only target arc on certain areas, or keep on hiding until we have a firmer picture?

Stay hidden for now. We need a clearer picture of Russian intentions at this point.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Company

Continue previous orders (stay put). Double-check target arcs. Also, double-check that the unit you are giving orders to is actually your unit.

Could I get an answer as to where my mortars and HMGs are? Are they the purple highlighted units?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Fell Fire posted:

1-4 Company

Continue previous orders (stay put). Double-check target arcs. Also, double-check that the unit you are giving orders to is actually your unit.

Could I get an answer as to where my mortars and HMGs are? Are they the purple highlighted units?

Yup.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

:godwinning::godwinning:

2 Company (Panzergrenadier): Kenzie
-1 Platoon: Valiantman
-2 Platoon: Dark_Swordmaster
-3 Platoon: eigenstate
-4 Platoon (Heavy): markus_cz
--1 HMG Section (2x MG42s): Velius
--2 HMG Section (2x MG42s): vuk83
--Mortar Section (2x 81mm mortars): Tehkeen

2nd Platoon

Dark_Swordmaster, please make sure all units in 2nd Platoon have target arcs up to around 100 meters or so. One of your fireteams from 2nd squad just bagged a couple of Russians, and now you must decide whether to keep them firing or get them outta there. Both of the enemy IS-2s to the north can see into your positions and they might open fire starting on the next turn. I would prefer it if most of your men hold their positions for now, but I suggest you give everyone a HIDE order in case those 122mm shells start exploding around you. They can un-hide later when the coast looks clear. As for the team that opened fire, you have a few options:

a) Keep shooting. You won't be able to give them orders again for two minutes, so this makes it likely they will get wiped out or at least take some casualties.
b) Give them a pause order before pulling them out. If they decide to have their tanks open fire in your direction, you might not want your men to be standing upright when those shells go off. Their tanks will take 10-15 seconds to rotate their turrets in your direction and fire, so if you give a pause order for 30 seconds along with the order to fall back, they can fire at the Russians a bit longer and then fall back while the tanks are reloading. IS-2s take ages to reload, so you would be safe. This assumes that they will miss on their first shot though.
c) Run away immediately. The safest option.

Your platoon is deployed roughly like this:

My recommendation is that you get that one team outta there FAST. It might be a good idea to move the Panzerschreck team as well. Everyone else can stay put.

All other 2. Kompanie units, keep doing what you're doing.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Thank you!

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

:godwinning::godwinning:

2nd Kompanie 4th Platoon Mortar Detachment

Keep hiding!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Only one team is doing anything new:

1/1/2/AT
Set Target Circle, 60m Radius
Unhide. MOVE SLOW as indicated, into position at treeline near 3 Squad.

All other units: No change in position. Maintain current orders.

(Link to original orders for reference.)

=end of orders=

I expect to have a better armor arc and maybe a slight reposition later this week. Just wanted to get the movement out of the way.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'm pretty worried about McDonald's Farm. My MGs are totally out of position now, and I've lost my LOS to the NW and the SE due to the orders mix-up. Under the circumstances I think I need to stay there to make sure we have eyes on the full nature of the enemy deploy, but I'm wondering if I should fall back with one team or keep both there. I'm going to need to take a look in-game, which won't happen until tomorrow evening. If the priority is intel, then putting both teams back in the L-shaped building is probably what needs to happen, with a restrictive firing arc to hopefully keep them from blowing their cover to the probable tanks waiting around. Trouble is that's, as I alluded to in the last post, probably 4-5 minutes from start to deployed.

Any thoughts?

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle

Remain in position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Maintain position

Unless someone thinks I should move, I am covering VASILY and MASHA, barring some blind spots behind buildings.

• Locked thread