Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It was her age that surprised me. Obviously it's a huge cliché thinking "trolls" are all teenage boys, but at 62?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Extreme0 posted:

So how many times has the Top Gear Presenters put their lives/sensiblity on the line during these trips and stunts? Was the episode when Clarkson was driving on the narrow section of 'death road' in Bolivia scripted by any chance or was Clarkson just that brave (and stupid?)
Of course it was scripted, but that doesn't mean it was bad telly. The whole Bolivia show was great.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Jippa posted:

It was her age that surprised me. Obviously it's a huge cliché thinking "trolls" are all teenage boys, but at 62?

I believe the average age of YouTube commenters is around 40.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I really don't like the narrative that she was somehow unique and rare. That it isn't a common belief that the McCanns killed Maddie. Because it is. I'm not saying it's true or false but it isn't a rare belief in the least.

It's not so much bad press as wholesale reality adjustment.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think the ongoing McCann media saga does anyone any benefit at this point. This should really have been quietly dealt with.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

I really don't like the narrative that she was somehow unique and rare. That it isn't a common belief that the McCanns killed Maddie. Because it is. I'm not saying it's true or false but it isn't a rare belief in the least.

It's not so much bad press as wholesale reality adjustment.

"Maddie" has been practically deified by the press at this point, and this has rubbed-off Mary and Joseph style onto her parents.

It is simply unacceptable for the press narrative that a lot of people think her parents killed her, so they simply deny the existence of the majority of these people and make examples out of the nastiest of them. It's the kind of thing the press is good at (they would similarly never have you know that a majority of the UK population favours EU membership, stronger press regulation, etc).

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I think the fact that printing stories saying "was she murdered by her parents" is a good way to lose a very expensive libel case because, you know, you have no actual evidence, might have something to do with it?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Zephro posted:

I think the fact that printing stories saying "was she murdered by her parents" is a good way to lose a very expensive libel case because, you know, you have no actual evidence, might have something to do with it?

Isn't UK libel laws backwards though, where you have to prove you didn't murder her? That's why a lot of American/Russian/Whatever celebrities would come here for "libel tourism" (which happens alot less now because of things like this but still domestically can still happen alot unless they've changed the law).

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Jippa posted:

The teenage boys doing it were probably wise enough not to have it trackable to them, so sky news couldn't ambush them on the way to school

Fangz posted:

This should really have been quietly dealt with.

I think that's what the parents tried in the first place, look where it got us

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Fluo posted:

Isn't UK libel laws backwards though, where you have to prove you didn't murder her? That's why a lot of American/Russian/Whatever celebrities would come here for "libel tourism" (which happens alot less now because of things like this but still domestically can still happen alot unless they've changed the law).
The burden of proof would be on the newspaper to provide evidence that reasonably supports the assertion. Since none exists, and the whole idea that it was her parents wot done it is basically a collective fever-dream based on no actual evidence whatsoever, it would be totally open and shut.

This is exactly how libel law should function, too. You can't just go around printing defamatory statements for which you have literally zero evidence. The idea (as suggested earlier in this thread) that there's some conspiracy by the press to cover up THE TRUTH is just crazy.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Zephro posted:

The idea (as suggested earlier in this thread) that there's some conspiracy by the press to cover up THE TRUTH is just crazy.

The press ignore the fact that people favour the EU, immigrants are good, and people think the Mccanns did it because police psychologists say their behaviour was unusual. The press' job is to cover up the truth.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Spangly A posted:

The press ignore the fact that people favour the EU, immigrants are good, and people think the Mccanns did it because police psychologists say their behaviour was unusual. The press' job is to cover up the truth.
No, the press avoid printing stories alleging that the McCanns did it because they would quite rightly get taken to court and lose the subsequent libel case because there is no evidence that the claim is true. If you think there's a newspaper in the land that would turn down definitive proof of a story like that because they promised some masonic conspiracy that they'd all keep schtum then I don't even know what to say.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Zephro posted:

No, the press avoid printing stories alleging that the McCanns did it because they would quite rightly get taken to court and lose the subsequent libel case because there is no evidence that the claim is true. If you think there's a newspaper in the land that would turn down definitive proof of a story like that because they promised some masonic conspiracy that they'd all keep schtum then I don't even know what to say.

You're missing the point. The papers have always been unhinged about the McCanns and most people in England couldn't give less of a poo poo. There's no conspiracy, just stupidity.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Spangly A posted:

You're missing the point. The papers have always been unhinged about the McCanns and most people in England couldn't give less of a poo poo. There's no conspiracy, just stupidity.
No, this isn't the claim. The claim is not that they've given too much coverage to the case, the claim was

quote:

It is simply unacceptable for the press narrative that a lot of people think her parents killed her, so they simply deny the existence of the majority of these people and make examples out of the nastiest of them. It's the kind of thing the press is good at (they would similarly never have you know that a majority of the UK population favours EU membership, stronger press regulation, etc).
In other words "the press don't run stories about this because they're suppressing the truth".

The real reason the press don't interview a bunch of people who think the McCanns are guilty and then print the story is that they'd get taken to court for libel and lose. And quite rightly, too.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ronya posted:

hmm yes, London infrastructure and housing should be a high-yield asset, even when flush with newly-mobilized funds. You sure about that, Boris? Is London's greatest bar to infrastructural or housing investment really an underdeveloped financial industry leading to credit shortages, so that mobilizing savings will create a glorious golden age of growth stemming from presently-unexploited investment projects? London, the new developing economy?
Wouldn't his proposed 7-8% yields be in the same kind of ballpark as the expected margins on a lot of current and proposed PFI deals? Even if those weren't acceptable on social housing in the south east, there would seem to be a number of other spheres where they could fly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The general news media has been pretty biased towards the McCanns anyway though. I'm not saying that they should have libeled them or accused them without evidence, but right after it happened the local press in Leicester was sanitizing their comments to remove anything vaguely critical of the parents. Even things as simple or uncontroversial as "They left young children alone. I think that is bad" got effectively written out of the mainstream media consensus of the case.

Let's not pretend that if they were anything other than middle class white media savvy people the right wing gutter press wouldn't have jumped all over the child neglect angle. Especially child neglect to go out and get drunk.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
This is great

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

It's gonzo consumer journalism.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'd like to share this wee update from Gordon Maloney, head of NUS Scotland, as it could be relevant for renters in Scotland.

quote:

The Scottish Government have just launched their consultation on the new Private Rented Sector Bill - we have been campaigning hard for this bill to address the ridiculously high cost of renting a home and pushing for the introduction of controls and limits to rent. And we did it!
The consultation includes the timidly-worded question "What action, if any, should the Scottish Government take on rent levels in the private rented sector in Scotland?" - but the hard work starts here. The consultation is open till the end of December, and between now and then it is our job to make sure that the voice of renters is absolutely impossible to ignore.
Look out for lots more from NUS Scotland on this, but I'm positive we can win and secure, for the first time in most of our life-times, rent controls in Scotland. Housing should be a public good, not some money-making commodity - let's make that happen.

Consultation is here:
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2014/10/9702

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Coohoolin posted:

I'd like to share this wee update from Gordon Maloney, head of NUS Scotland, as it could be relevant for renters in Scotland.

Consultation is here:
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2014/10/9702
Based on the summary of the proposed new tenancy type, it seems to be full of holes. For example, it ostensibly removes "no fault" repossessions to prevent landlords from booting tenants out just because their original tenancy has expired. However, it doesn't stop the landlord from evicting the tenant indirectly by hiking their rent up to an unaffordable level following the expiration of the original term. Similarly, it stipulates a minimum tenancy duration but says that shorter terms can be permitted if requested by the tenant. Hi, I'm Mr. E. Vil. Landlord and my properties are only available to tenants who desire and are willing to request one month rolling tenancy agreements.

Basically, it looks like an attempt to placate people who want reform without doing anything of substance to change the workings of the private rented sector.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Guavanaut posted:

The general news media has been pretty biased towards the McCanns anyway though. I'm not saying that they should have libeled them or accused them without evidence, but right after it happened the local press in Leicester was sanitizing their comments to remove anything vaguely critical of the parents. Even things as simple or uncontroversial as "They left young children alone. I think that is bad" got effectively written out of the mainstream media consensus of the case.

Let's not pretend that if they were anything other than middle class white media savvy people the right wing gutter press wouldn't have jumped all over the child neglect angle. Especially child neglect to go out and get drunk.

Yeah, I've no idea if they killed their daughter, I've certainly seen no evidence to suggest they did but the way they neglected all their children should've lead to a lot more condemnation than it did. Even the kneejerk response to criticism of "they lost their daughter" doesn't really hold up to the fact their neglect directly contributed to them losing her.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Yeah, I've no idea if they killed their daughter, I've certainly seen no evidence to suggest they did but the way they neglected all their children should've lead to a lot more condemnation than it did. Even the kneejerk response to criticism of "they lost their daughter" doesn't really hold up to the fact their neglect directly contributed to them losing her.

What exactly does condemning them achieve? I'm pretty sure they're painfully aware they hosed up since, y'know, their daughter disappeared.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Isn't the usual argument that if they'd been working class without the PR training and all that the papers would have been baying for their blood and absolutely no one would be sticking up for them?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What exactly does condemning them achieve? I'm pretty sure they're painfully aware they hosed up since, y'know, their daughter disappeared.

To counter the hagiography they received. Maddie going missing is consistently treated as an act of God rather than an outcome of their behaviour. There's no need for a witch hunt but a bit of balance wouldn't go amiss.

Ideally it would've been a news item for a few days which talked equally about what a shame the kid going missing was and simultaneously examining how people on holiday neglect their kids rather than a years long saga about how innocent little Maddie going missing was a totally unavoidable tragedy.

edit: More generally the news highlighting and condemning mistakes people make encourage others not to make the same mistake themselves.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 6, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Coohoolin posted:

Isn't the usual argument that if they'd been working class without the PR training and all that the papers would have been baying for their blood and absolutely no one would be sticking up for them?

Imagine the difference in treatment if it had been some stereotypical 'chav' couple in Ibiza instead. :allears:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

If you do really well, we can continue to not pay you and get rich off the proceeds ourselves for another few months. Snakes alive that's a good deal.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

ReV VAdAUL posted:

To counter the hagiography they received.

They were properly witch hunted at one point though - I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be in their shoes.

The wikipedia page has quotes like:

"Corpse in McCann Car"
"Brit Lab Bombshell: Car DNA is 100% Maddie's"

quote:

Within weeks of the disappearance, the couple's middle-class status, at first protective, turned into a weapon against them. They were harshly criticized for having left their children alone despite the availability of Ocean Club babysitters and an evening crèche. Seventeen thousand people signed an online petition in June 2007 asking Leicestershire Social Services to investigate; the argument ran that a working-class couple might have faced child-abandonment charges, but a group of doctors on a posh holiday had been let off the hook.[143] Novelist Anne Enright wrote that parents distancing themselves from the McCanns became a "potent form of magic," one that kept their own children safe.[144]

quote:

The McCanns testified in November 2011 as core participants before the Leveson Inquiry into press standards in the UK. The inquiry heard that the editor of the Daily Express, in particular, had become "obsessed" with the McCanns. Lord Justice Leveson said the newspaper had published "complete piffle" about the couple, while Roy Greenslade called the Express articles "a sustained campaign of vitriol."[145] The British tabloids regularly cited Portuguese newspapers, which in turn referred to unnamed sources. "Maddie 'Sold' By Hard-Up McCanns," ran one headline in the Daily Star.[146]

quote:

Kate McCann – or "Hot Lips Healy," as one tabloid called her after digging up an old university nickname – came in for particular attention, considered too attractive, too thin, too well-dressed, too intense, too controlled and not mumsy enough, according to media analyst Caroline Bainbridge.[147] Several tabloids criticized her for not crying in public, despite her obvious distress; the Portuguese tabloid Correio da Manhã complained that she had not "shed a single tear" and called her "cynical and strange," at the same time relying on Portuguese police sources to portray her as hysterical and out of control. Kate told the Leveson Inquiry that photographers would lurk near the couple's home and bang on her car as she left with the twins to obtain a startled expression for a photograph.[148]

I'm not sure your view of the coverage is held up by what came out in the Levson enquiry. Suggesting they stashed their daughter's body in the boot of the car, or even sold their daughter (thanks Daily Star!), never mind all the personal attacks, surely indicates the opposite of a hagiography?

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

That's a pretty good argument, but then surely the best response is to be angry at the papers for demonising working class people rather than being angry that the McCans haven't been demonised too.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Crameltonian posted:

That's a pretty good argument, but then surely the best response is to be angry at the papers for demonising working class people rather than being angry that the McCans haven't been demonised too.

Oh sure, but you've also got the inverse which is to not assume they DIDN'T do it. I'd say a fair level of cynicism here is healthy. Also my flatmate is Portuguese and they're all convinced it was the parents so maybe I'm biased.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

Oh sure, but you've also got the inverse which is to not assume they DIDN'T do it. I'd say a fair level of cynicism here is healthy. Also my flatmate is Portuguese and they're all convinced it was the parents so maybe I'm biased.

Yeah that's fair enough, cynicism has never steered me wrong before. Though I'd hesitate to comment either way because I didn't exactly follow the whole circus that much. Was a bit unfair picking on your post because you weren't saying anything like that but some people ITT sound like they're demanding Trial By Media as an overreaction to the treatment they've gotten. People really should know better than to suggest that the lynch mob mentality of our media is in any way a desirable thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Try to imagine the Alice Gross story having the same amount of media saturation if she'd been from a minority ethnic group.
Middle-class gets you a certain amount, but being white seems to be the biggest leg-up in terms of media coverage.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The bit of the Daily Express editor being obsessed with them is golden. I remember the old GBS thread about the case and there was a point where people were posting the Express front page every day, which was always either about immigration, Princess Di or Maddy.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

Is this all you do now?

serious gaylord posted:

But you see, it was the no voters that can't let it go.

That's rich coming from you two.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Anyone going to the RIC 2014 conference? Tickets going like hotcakes, venue has now been bumped up the the Armadillo and Science Centre.

http://radicalindependence.org/2014/09/29/ric-conference-2014/

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

That is a pretty impressive achievement!
A few of my friends are going, I was planning to decide nearer the time if I wanted to trek through to Glasgow yet again for it, though at the rate it's going, they'll be scalping tickets on ebay!

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Alice Gross was murdered very near where I live. I can't help but think noone in the media would really give a gently caress if she wasn't a good looking white girl, as awful as that sounds.

E: I say good looking in a general sense, nothing more there. I'm not Saville.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

keep punching joe posted:

Anyone going to the RIC 2014 conference? Tickets going like hotcakes, venue has now been bumped up the the Armadillo and Science Centre.

http://radicalindependence.org/2014/09/29/ric-conference-2014/

I'll probably be there.

EDIT: Just bought my ticket. £4 for students, ace.

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 6, 2014

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
Does anybody actually have a story of an ethnic-minority family whose child disappeared in similar circumstances to Madeline McCann and yet was contrastingly rounded on and demonised by the media, or is this just what the Book of Correctness tells you should happen?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

kapparomeo posted:

Does anybody actually have a story of an ethnic-minority family whose child disappeared in similar circumstances to Madeline McCann and was universally rounded on and demonised by the media, or is this just what the Book of Correctness tells you should happen?

No because the point is that they don't get into the headlines at all. It's the lower class white families which get hauled up and told off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

kapparomeo posted:

Does anybody actually have a story of an ethnic-minority family whose child disappeared in similar circumstances to Madeline McCann and yet was contrastingly rounded on and demonised by the media, or is this just what the Book of Correctness tells you should happen?

Not an ethnic minority, but the case of Shannon Matthews was incredibly similar before it was solved, and the only differences was that she was from a working class family and the way the tabloids treated the story. In a less concrete sense, 47% (EDIT: this is the figure for the US, anyone got one for Britain?) of missing children are from an ethnic minority and roughly all of the media focus on missing children is on white ones. So take your concerns about political correctness, roll them into a tube and shove them up your bum.

• Locked thread