Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Portrait wise I really love CamelPimp's PopeSteve with original hair edit, so I'll probably use that, if it's cool with her, at least until the end of PopeSteve's reign. Which will be, spoilers if you haven't played the game but just want to know, Chapter 10x.

Darth TNT posted:

Maybe we should start a game, find the Wrys. Wrys being the only one who is always bald, each update Hippoman reclasses him and we have to find his new class by identifying his shiny head...or read the name on the screen. Whichever gives you more enjoyment.

Tempted to make a gallery of all possible Wrys models, except the Class Set B ones because I don't have them yet. Maybe as bonus content when the LP ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

LordHippoman posted:

Portrait wise I really love CamelPimp's PopeSteve with original hair edit, so I'll probably use that, if it's cool with her, at least until the end of PopeSteve's reign.

Of course it is.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student

LordHippoman posted:

Tempted to make a gallery of all possible Wrys models, except the Class Set B ones because I don't have them yet. Maybe as bonus content when the LP ends.

Wyrs is NOT the only character that uses the bald sprite Wendell, Dolph, Macellan, and I'm pretty sure Frost and Darros all use that same sprite Though you WILL need to unlock male reclass to see tier 1 bald sprites in class set B, this wasn't the case in FE11 which is why they exist.

Also yes I did spoiler tag the recruitment of incredibly minor characters, I'm that paranoid

Believe me if Wyrs was the only character that needed the bald sprite in FE11 they would have either cut him out completely (FE3 book 1 did it, replacing him with a vulnerary), or made it so he magically got white hair when he reclassed after all to quote Joshua from TWEWY "When you're drowning in a sea of work with not enough time, why pour your soul into assets that will be used all of...what, once?"

weso12 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 3, 2015

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Well, there was going to be an update here, but it seems like Serenes is down right now, so I can't grab the scripts. Here's a preview.

:horse:

(also holy poo poo we have that many cavaliers why)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It's important to wear appropriate head wear when riding a horse. :eng101:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 20: Tur-bad (Prep)

Last time, we finally met that Navarre guy everyone had been talking about, and never will again because he is now completely plot irrelevant (aside from one prologue bonus chapter). Steve was also canonized as the new Pope.

Marth and pals are now on the run from Hardin's army on their way to save Altea.

Narrator: Marth's army fears pursuit from the Archanean army and escapes towards Chiasmir Bridge. However, a new enemy attacks the Altean army upon reaching the central islet.

"The Archanean army is coming from the north; we'll be surrounded like this."

The situation is desperate! Can Marth and his friends overcome the many perils?

:ohdear:

Perils! Desperation! All of that and more in this chapter. Also a few new units. But before any of that happens, TALKING!

: From Lord Wendell, I see... Chiasmir Bridge has a strong sea wind, so it's good to have a hat to keep warm. It suits you, Steve.

Even Marth can give props to the hat.

: Really? Thank you, sire.

Steve ferrets the hat away to her secret creepy Marth shrine.

Speaking of Steve, her Defense stat is seriously hurting me. Like, on the inside. So I'm moving her to a class with some better growth rates in that than Myrmidon. Cav ought to work nicely.

I also decided to distribute some stat boosters. Barst can use this Secret Book to up his Skill and offset that lovely Axe hit rate.

Steve is getting the Angelic Robe because I'm tired of watching her almost melt when something looks at her.

Catria has finally graduated to Silver Lances. Let's all be proud.

Time for How's Everyone.

This will help.

I had to look this up, it's a 20 HP Vulnerary. Cool.

Time for everyone's favorite part of these updates. More chat.

Sign the pre-nup (Marth/Caeda 1)

: Hello, Marth. Yes, of course.

: I see. I'm glad to hear it. If anything were to happen to you, I wouldn't be able to look King Talys in the eye.

"Also my fiancee would be dead but ehhhh"

: You're too kind... And you, Marth? Are you well?

: Please, worry not, Caeda. I've all the help I could possibly want and more.

Ol' reliable Steve.

: Yes. That's why... Caeda, I must implore you to leave the fighting to us.

: Huh...? Marth, what do you mean...?

Marth if you take away one of my fliers I swear.

: I do not wish to see you on the battlefield. If you must, I'd prefer it if you would support us away from the frontlines.

: Marth... How could you say such a thing? Am I that much of a burden to you?

: No, Caeda. That's... not what I meant. I... I don't want to see you get hurt. Your safety is of immense importance to me.

: So, are you telling me to wallow alone in prayer? Somewhere arrows won't reach me? While everyone else is fighting? That... That's just...! I won't have it! I can't just sit quietly, while others risk their lives.

Well, I was going to keep you away from arrows anyway, because they kill you faster than Ryan disappoints me with his Speed levels.

: Caeda...

: I'll fight. I'll fight by your side. I'll show you that I'm capable!

: Oh! Caeda...! ...Did I say something wrong...?

Oh Marth. Did you even play the first game? She owns.

Fuckin' Orbs

: And now, even though our homeland Altea stands before our eyes, the Archanean army pursues us from both directions. It is a difficult situation, but we must escape this crisis somehow.

Helpful as always, Jagen.

The Gooniest Knight

: He was a very nice man and listened to me even though we fought on opposing sides when we first met.

More of Caeda's sly recruitment techniques, this one a step above "IF YOU DON'T WANT TO JOIN US JUST STAB ME OKAY"

: D-did you really say that to him...?

: Steve, should we meet Roger again, I'll try and/to talk to him.

Archanean Sniper

You might remember him from Chapter 5 or the Axely route of the Prologue. For better or worse, this is the last time we'll face him.

: General Jeorge is Gordin's tutor and friend and has visited Altea on many occasions. I'd like to speak with him. Steve, I'm counting on your assistance.

So, without further ado, let's see what we're up against.

As promised, we start on the central islet, with bridges to the north and south.

Due East is this village.

Another Starshard thief. Remember that these guys ABSOLUTELY MUST DIE. You need those shards.

Astram is back from last map, still hot on our trail, and still a serious threat in combat.

These 4 forts are also suspect.

Three Paladins head up the guard on the north end, our objective, and this dork.

The boss here is Jeorge, he's got the Sagittarius starshard (which you can't miss) and the legendary bow, Parthia. He'd be a threat if he could move. But with a melee character, he's incapable of doing damage. Those flanking snipers are a different story, though, since they can move.

And, last but not least, some Generals. There's quite a force ahead of us next time, but it's not impossible. Careful planning will win the day. There's one more unit to the east, but it's not a big-

:gonk:

we're all gonna die next time on let's play fire emblem 12

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Looks more like he enactd a tur-ban. Where'd it go, Hardin? Your faithful turban could have protected you from the forces of darkness if only you would have let it :smith:

...And come to think of it, those are some pretty bad stats. Level 30 in a custom class and nothing above 24? Not a single capped stat? Hardin's been slacking off since the last war.

:lol: Barst being three levels behind and suddenly two points ahead of Steve in skill. And that speed and strength, god drat, I suddenly regret benching the man on all my runs.

LordHippoman posted:

Ol' reliable Steve.

Something's not quite right here.

vvv I benched Ogma too :v:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 5, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

vilkacis posted:

:lol: Barst being three levels behind and suddenly two points ahead of Steve in skill. And that speed and strength, god drat, I suddenly regret benching the man on all my runs.

Barst is essentially Ogma with an axe in the remakes, and is one of two (three if you count MU) axe-users worth using heavily and the other one is primarily worth it because bringing her to the final battle is mandatory for reasons we all already know because not a one of us is unfamiliar with this game. So, yeah, benching him does you a huge disservice, as he is consistently one of the best characters in the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's kind of funny how this map in a game where only seize exists as a victory condition executes the escape objective better than a lot of maps that actually have it. And Barst is a monster, you should use Barst.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

EclecticTastes posted:

reasons we all already know because not a one of us is unfamiliar with this game.

I have never played this game or heard how the story goes at all. :)

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

vilkacis posted:

He's actually just one point of skill ahead, the Fighter class gives him 3 extra skill while the Cavalier class only gives Steve 2 extra :eng101:

But yes, Barst is a monster and is the best natural fighter, just like Ogma is the best natural Mercenary and Navarre is the best Myrm.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Barst is essentially Ogma with an axe in the remakes, and is one of two (three if you count MU) axe-users worth using heavily and the other one is primarily worth it because bringing her to the final battle is mandatory for reasons we all already know because not a one of us is unfamiliar with this game. So, yeah, benching him does you a huge disservice, as he is consistently one of the best characters in the game.

I have also not played this game.

Hardin looks different somehow. Where is his horse? :downs:

Itīs pretty neat how the pursuing army is always on the map with you.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Something's not quite right here.

Oops. I'll go back and fix that, just a duplicate image link.

EclecticTastes posted:

Barst is essentially Ogma with an axe in the remakes

I pretty much always use Barst, both in this and Shadow Dragon. Fighter MU is super good as well, like you mentioned, but I've actually never done a full run with one.

Glaive17 posted:

I have never played this game or heard how the story goes at all. :)

Yeah, FE12 isn't a masterpiece of twists or storytelling, but I'm trying to keep the spoilery stuff to a minimum anyway, especially regarding the bonus chapters because I really like the payoff for that storyline. Eremiah is such a creepy loving character, she's great.

I'd like to thank people for using spoiler tags in this thread too, haven't had any issues with that so far.

Darth TNT posted:

Hardin looks different somehow. Where is his horse? :downs:

Itīs pretty neat how the pursuing army is always on the map with you.

See that fur on his collar? That's not fake.

And yeah, this is something you don't see FE do too often (IIRC 4 does a fair amount, especially in that one chapter...), but they do it well in this game. There are three named enemy bosses on the map here, for example, and that's a nice touch. They all have Legendary Weapons too :v:.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LordHippoman posted:

I pretty much always use Barst, both in this and Shadow Dragon. Fighter MU is super good as well, like you mentioned, but I've actually never done a full run with one.

I always go Fighter with MU, and Reclass to Pirate first chance I get. Orphan/Wise/Honorable makes for a pretty solid Berserker, and it's more or less the only way for MU to be truly distinct, since there's at least one really, really good character in every other class, while there's not a single natural Berserker worth using besides MU.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Welp, you had a good run, but Hardin's wreckin' you. The turban was just a seal on his power.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I've always liked Roger, from his goofy pink hair to his goofy supports. It also helps that he's got pretty good growths. He can actually rock the entire game as a Knight/General and still stand a good chance to cap speed (if the cap for General wasn't 21 he'd average something like 23.8).

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Lotish posted:

I've always liked Roger, from his goofy pink hair to his goofy supports. It also helps that he's got pretty good growths. He can actually rock the entire game as a Knight/General and still stand a good chance to cap speed (if the cap for General wasn't 21 he'd average something like 23.8).

I've never used him, but if people want to see him, we did leave Draug behind a while ago and I wouldn't mind sending another knight out there.

EclecticTastes posted:

I always go Fighter with MU, and Reclass to Pirate first chance I get. Orphan/Wise/Honorable makes for a pretty solid Berserker, and it's more or less the only way for MU to be truly distinct, since there's at least one really, really good character in every other class, while there's not a single natural Berserker worth using besides MU.

Yeah, I'd like to show off Pirate/Zerker, but we're getting close to where most of the good units for it I've already done stuff with. I might put it on Barst for a chapter or so just to see how it goes and show off the model for it. (On a player character, we've seen the enemy ones)

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Pirate is just better than Fighter. +2 speed base and 20% higher growth is well worth the 2 points of skill that Fighter has over Pirate. It's sort of like Mage being better than Dark Mage but they're in the same reclass set.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

Pirate is just better than Fighter. +2 speed base and 20% higher growth is well worth the 2 points of skill that Fighter has over Pirate. It's sort of like Mage being better than Dark Mage but they're in the same reclass set.

Actually Mage is in Male A and Dark Mage Male B. If you're playing without the limits, then yes there's no point whatsoever to Dark Mage itself.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

Keldulas posted:

Actually Mage is in Male A and Dark Mage Male B. If you're playing without the limits, then yes there's no point whatsoever to Dark Mage itself.

Except that Dark Mages look much cooler :colbert:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think Wright was referring to how Fighter and Pirate are in the same set, unlike Mage and Dark Mage.

I use Pirate whenever I can instead of Fighter, but you don't get very many pirate slots. Also Fighter is still good for use in the Training Grounds because it has the highest total growths, so you can get a good chance to proc more +1s.

+1s are very important.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Lotish posted:

Also Fighter is still good for use in the Training Grounds because it has the highest total growths, so you can get a good chance to proc more +1s.

+1s are very important.

The difference is only five points, or an average of two +1s if you took a character from level 1 unpromoted to 20/20. Not exactly a world of difference.

As it happens, Barst's overall growths are better as a Pirate, with some of his enormous Strength and solid Skill growths moving to his middling Speed growth, giving him good marks in all three of those vital stats. However, it also makes him less RNG-proof, which could end up being worse for him in the long run, as the RNG seems to love punishing hubris. I'd only go Pirate/Berserker for him if he definitively pulls ahead in Strength and Skill compared to his potential caps, or starts to lag in Speed even the tiniest bit because Speed is the most important stat.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Another busy week in my personal life, but I'd like to find time for a support update...so here you go.

Support Update: Gordin 1, Cecille 2, Arran 3

Today I'd like to focus on some characters who started our journey with us, but we've sort of left behind. Let's start with "Archer who is not Ryan", move along to "Cavalier who is not Luke", and end with a nice bucket of :smith: in Arran's last support.

Moves Like Jagen (Gordin 1)

: Hmm...

: Sir Gordin, is something bothering you?

: Oh, hey Steve. It's nothing important, but... Steve, how do I look?

: Huh? I'm not exactly the best person to ask for fashion advice...

Steve. You are selling yourself short. I mean...

Always on the cutting edge.

: No, I was just thinking... I've never really had any presence.

: Presence? You mean, like Sir Jagen?

That's one of the words on my Jagen bingo board.

: Yeah, the kind of presence people recognize from a glance: the kind that makes you nervous even when you've done no wrong. I've got a kiddy face, so I don't look like a senior knight much. The worst part is when I look even younger than you...

So is "senior".

: Indeed...

And "prunes".

This has been a long, drawn out "Jagen is old" joke.

: It was like that the last time I watched the new knights training. When the young apprentice knights passed by me in the castle, they'd say "you do your best, too!" I can't help but think they mistook me for an apprentice like themselves...

Well, at least they didn't see you in the first game, Gaggles.

: S-so you've experienced that.

: That's not all, some even wanted me run errands for them... Because of things like that, I want to become respected. Steve, could you tell me if you ever find a good way?

First step: Reclass to Myrmidon

I Ain't Afraid Of No Ghosts (I might have already used this one) (Cecille 2)

: S-say, Steve...

: What's the matter?

: Er... Did you hear that rumor? I-I don't believe it, but I'm just curious...

: What rumor?

: Y-you know... The rumor that there's a ghost haunting this army...

: Oh, that nonsense.

: Nonsense!? They say the ghost of a long-haired girl...

: Yeah, that was just some dry wood. Someone was just seeing things. It's just a joke at this point.

How the hell do you bend wood to make it look like a "long haired girl"? Was it a statue? This is probably Bord's fault, the trees are getting revenge.

: A-ah, I see. Yes. Of course. There's no way it could have been a ghost...

: Cecille, don't tell me you're afraid of ghosts?

: N-no way! Something like that couldn't possibly exist! I'm not a child anymore... Ghosts are silly. But just to be on the safe side...

: Hm?

: What? Is something wrong?

Probably just Hardin or Astram or Jeorge or any of the other super-statted monstrosities bearing down on us :v:

: Didn't you hear that strange sound, Cecille?

: Huh?! Kyaaaaaaa!

: Cecille!?

: W-where, where!? Where did it come from!? Where is it? N-no... Noooo!

: Wait... Calm down, Cecille. I can't move with you clinging on to me like this.

: B-but, but...! It's t-the gho-ghost... Begoooone vile spirit!

Ask Marth to make a call.

He knows a guy.

: Cecille... L-listen to me...! M-my neck... Stop squeezing my... I can't... breathe...

: Someoooone! Save meeeee!

: T...that's my... line...

:rimshot:

Oh, those silly geese. Now, then, who's up...oh.

My Sins (Arran 3)

: It happened a long time ago, when I was a knight for my old kingdom. There was a rebellion and my liege ordered me to suppress it. But what I met was no army... They were poor peasants, unable to survive the harsh winter due to the poor harvest.

: ...

: They didn't intend to fight. But, in order to survive... they had no choice but to make themselves heard. My liege understood that and ordered me to slay them to set an example. And I... followed that order.

: ...Sir Arran...

: I used to think absolute loyalty to one's liege was a knight's most important duty. But, I was mistaken. So, I left my liege and spent a long time wandering...

: That's... But it wasn't your fault, Sir Arran. The one responsible for it was...

: No, I... can't forgive myself. "I was just following orders... It wasn't my fault..." I could tell myself that endlessly, but deep inside I'd never be convinced. And it would not erase my sins. I can't forgive myself more than anyone.

: Sir Arran...

: A liege I could swear loyalty to from the bottom of my heart... I searched far and wide for such a liege and finally I found him. Prince Marth is my liege. As long as I fight for him, I can be a true knight.

: So that's why you're fighting so hard in this war...

: I won't last long. I probably won't survive this war at all. But, I have no regrets. A knight isn't a puppet that blindly follows orders. That is not loyalty. To fight for a cause I believe in, under a liege I believe in. That is what it means to be a knight.

: Sir Arran... Sir Arran, please let me follow your path.

: Steve...

: After listening to your words, I can now see it clearly-- The path I must follow as a knight.

And that's how FE12's Base Conversations turned a random terrible unit you had a 50% chance of getting about 2/3rds of the way through the prequel into one of the most memorable and depressing characters in the game.

Hope you'll join me next time when we confront the main villain for the first time.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Nah, that's just Kellams great great grandfather serving tea.

:smith:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Lotish posted:

I think Wright was referring to how Fighter and Pirate are in the same set, unlike Mage and Dark Mage.

I use Pirate whenever I can instead of Fighter, but you don't get very many pirate slots. Also Fighter is still good for use in the Training Grounds because it has the highest total growths, so you can get a good chance to proc more +1s.

+1s are very important.

I didn't see this in time for screencapping Chapter 8, but I could make Barst go Pirate for 9 if people would like to see that.

(Chapter 8 should be up on Sunday if everything goes on schedule, BTW)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Barst's limited story in Shadow Dragon and this game, as I recall, indicate piracy is his true calling, and he's better at the class than most anyone you're going to get, so I say go for it.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 20: Tur-Bad

Welcome back. Last time we were on the run from the most dangerous man in the continent, and this time he is right in front of us. Let's run like hell. After a How's Everyone, of course.

Forgot to screencap the result, it was 30 EXP.

Temporary boost to Speed. Could come in handy in a few situations.

Well, you can actually use one of those stats.

As soon as the map starts, a scene plays and a Cavalier rides up...

Oh hey, Prologue buddy!

: Steve! You too! You've guarded Prince Marth well.

: Sir Cain! You made it!

: I'm truly glad that you came back unharmed, Cain.

: Yeah, somehow I managed to shake off the enemy and escape here. But the enemy is already approaching from the north.

Probably because Hardin loving loves his Generals.

: Don't worry. We will crush them.

This is pretty :black101: for Marth.

: No, not this time. Hardin is being protected by a mysterious power: we can't lay a finger on him. So even if we fight now, we haven't a chance of winning.

This is actually gameplay relevant. If you're suicidal enough to try and fight Hardin in this chapter, you'll quickly find that you do no damage. He is completely invincible.

: Please, head to the northwestern fortress. There's a boat across the river, which we can use to escape to the Khadein desert.

: Sire, the free company to the south will probably make their move soon. Indeed, now's not the time to fight. For the time being, let's do as Cain suggests and make our escape. After that, we'll think of something...

: I see... I don't like it, but we haven't a choice... Everyone, hurry to the northwest fortress!

Alright, so this map looks a little harder than it is. Once again that big clump of Heroes in the south won't attack us...at least until we hit Turn Eight. When Turn 8 rolls around, all hell breaks loose. If you want the village, and use Feena a bit, you have just enough time to finish up and get all the characters before they all rush you.

Speaking of the village, sending Marth there IMMEDIATELY.

Cain is back from the prologue. He's missed out on 10 or so chapters of growth compared to a lot of our other prologue characters, so he's not the beast he was back then. Honestly, if you wanted to use a new Cavalier by this point, you'd have been better off with Frey. He's not terrible, but you probably have better options by now. If you like him and want to put the work in, though, he's workable, especially on lower difficulties.

I had Caeda weaken this guy with the Javelin first, because those Devil Swords are dangerous as hell.

That said, that's a drat good level.

He had a black screen I forgot to crop! (And a Firestone. Don't worry, we'll see what those do this chapter.)

A Dance boost from Feena gets Catria to the southern thief and a pretty great level.

And more importantly? This. The Leo Starshard gives the holder +2 Strength, making it one of the most useful shards.

I'm sending people to the bridge as soon as I can. Time is really of the essence on this one.

Hardin looks a little, uh, angrier than he used to.

Some dangerous enemies up here, Killer Lances on a promoted class are no joke.

Roger is a bit funnier.

Keep in mind that Armorslayer exists if you're using a Knight here. That hurts.

Slightly more dangerous for me is this. That Ridersbane is an automatic triple damage weapon against mounted units, of which I have two right here.

Luke finishes off the first Paladin pretty quickly, thanks to his fantastic strength.

Cain retreats and Wendell pops a Heal on him. Roger and the Paladin together chunked him down pretty hard.

Speaking of Roger...

: Thank goodness, Roger. It's nice to see you again.

: Uh... Uhm, you should know, I've no plans to betray Archanea. I was just thinking about that time when you asked me "do you believe in love?" But I'm different from who I was back then.

:jerkbag:

: Really? But you still seem like a nice man. That's why I wanted to speak to you again.

: Uhh...

: May I just ask, why are you fighting for Archanea?

: Be-because Archanea has already taken over the world. Resistance is futile: no one can win. My life is precious to me. If I side with whoever's stronger, then I'm guaranteed to live longer...

I dunno, nobody on my side has died yet, and we've chewed through at least 100 guys by now...

: I see.

: A-are you disappointed with me?

: No, never. As I thought, you're fighting for what you believe in. You're not different. You're the same, kind man as when I first met you and I'm happy for that.

: Uhhh... Wait- you're leaving?!

: Yes. I too must fight for what I believe in. But I'll make a request to Marth so that we don't have to fight you. I'm happy that we could talk again, Roger.

And then Caeda stabbed him to death and gained some sweet EXP.

: W-wait! ...As I thought, you're still very kind. Dare I say, we don't have girls quite like you back in Grust or Archanea. Um, perhaps... I suppose I could... Aw heck, I'm going with you again!

Oh. Or that.

Roger here has pretty good growths in most stats (A terrible 0% in Res though), with a highlight being his above average (for a Knight) Speed. Unfortunately, he's not too great when he first joins, so a few rounds in the Drill Grounds are a good idea if you want to use him.

Feena resets Caeda.

And we all get to see the TRUE MIGHT OF CAEDA. The Wing Spear kicks rear end.

I decided to gamble on the 74% hit chance for this Hand Axe.

He delivers a little extra.

Have I mentioned how much I love Barst lately?

Meanwhile, back at the start, Marth has reached his destination.

: Ah, Bantu! Fancy meeting you in a place like this. How is Tiki?

Bantu is a Manakete (Dragon-person), but one of the few who's on our side. Tiki was his sort of adopted daughter in the last game, the last of the Divine Dragons.

: Oh, she is no longer by my side. Lord Gotoh took her to the Ice Dragon Shrine again.

: The Ice Dragon Shrine? Where's that? I've never heard of such a place...

: It's in the icy lands, far north of here. But it's no place for humans. Besides the hero Anri, no man has been there yet.

: Anri?! Are you, perchance, referring to the "Realm of the Gods" from Anri's legends?

: I'm not at liberty to say anything more. If you want to know more, you should ask Lord Gotoh. Anyhow, I have a favor to ask of you. My precious firestone was stolen by thieves. If you can get it back for me, I'll show you how it works. Thank you, Prince Marth.

But he knows how it works, he got it back for you in the last game. Never mind.

So, uh, those stats. I don't want to say anything yet, because Manaketes have a special gimmick, but suffice to say that's about what you should expect.

And here's the gimmick. The Stone Manaketes have equipped determines their stats. The Firestone is the weakest of all, but also the only one we have available. Even with those stat boosts, Bantu is still below average, his weapons are hard to find, and his growths are awful. Bantu is straight up terrible, sadly, because an old man who turns into a dragon is pretty cool.

I have Luke and Barst move forward. There are some enemies in a big group up here, and if I can pull them onto the bridge? Much easier to deal with.

(apologies if there's some weird continuity issues with these next few pictures, I had to do a load state a few times around here due to bad luck with crits.)

There's an armory on this map with some pretty good stuff.

I bought one of each item here.

Malicia, Caeda, and Feena head north, while Ogma, Navarre, Catria, and Steve take the south end.

As soon as Turn 3 starts, all these guys spawn, along with a mage.

Stylish dodge from Barst.

Stylish crit from Barst.

Barst Barst Barst :allears:

Oh, yeah, there's that mage.

One of Jeorge's two sniper buddies gets pulled over too.

And now all the Generals are on our tail. Fantastic.

Caeda makes a retreat slightly off of the bridge.

And now I start pulling everyone back, because I don't want to pull the other sniper over too, and bottlenecks are easier on me than the enemy.

Hope you like Vulnerarys.

Barst gets hit pretty bad.

And lives with...one HP. Excuse me while I finally exhale again.

Catria and Steve are holding the line pretty well down here. I want to keep these reinforcements away from the main group so we don't get sandwiched.

I do like Hardin sort of gradually taunting you as this map goes on. Helps dial up the "oh poo poo" factor of it.

Pretty good level, little sad at the lack of Mag, but certainly not complaining.

Vulnerarys are getting a workout on this map.

38% Crit. The Wo Dao is a drat good weapon.

And this should come in pretty handy.

Cain and Catria form blockades, Barst chugs an Energy Drink. I'm playing pretty defensively right now, but Marth is still on his way, so I'm not too worried about spending some time turtling up.

Catria is still great, this shouldn't be surprising.

Some of the action up top gives Luke a level as well.

Cain's not going to do much damage, but at least he can soak a hit.

As soon as this turn starts, the same crop of reinforcements that showed up on Turn 3 comes back. The Mage is still the most dangerous part.

Still love that Wing Spear.

The Quick Axe here hits twice as many times as a normal weapon. That means instead of Barst doing 9x2 here, he did 9x4. That was the end of this guy.

Not a great level, but I like those stats.

Oh, there's that Magic gain!

This Arms Scroll gives you a free rank up to any of your weapon ranks. That's really useful for reclassed units especially.

Oh yeah like that, thanks game.

Marth is finally here, and that means he's on bait duty.

Wendell heals up Steve, as we're getting close to the end and I'm running out of Vulnerarys.

Almost finished up down here now.

Plan "Marth Bait" is still effective.

Catria is getting pretty drat close to promotion.

Fileting that sniper gives Navarre a great level.

And with Feena's dance, we get to the dramatic boss encounter for this chapter. I should note you can also talk to Jeorge here with Gordin for the same effect.

: I know. As do I. You taught Gordin how to use a bow. And you were an instructor to the junior knights of Altea. You've been a great boon to Altea: I could never fight you, Sir Jeorge.

: Prince... I pledged allegiance to Princess Nyna. But I can tolerate Hardin no longer... Taking other countries by force, executing "rebels" without reason...

Oh, well, that was easy.

: ...Hardin was my friend. But he has changed beyond recognition. If he is committing any sort of crime, then I shall stop him. Jeorge, please, help me.

: ...I understand, Prince. To return the kingdom of Archanea to what it was once before... I will take it upon myself to turn my bow against my homeland.

And with that relatively simple conversation, we get our third character for this map, a Starshard, and a legendary weapon. Nice.

Jeorge has Saggitarius, which gives +2 Skill, and Parthia, which gives a whopping 18 Might and a special effect where you can Use it in the menu to increase your Res by 7. It's also the only A Rank bow in the game.

Jeorge himself is a decent unit. His growths are bad, but for the time being, he's quite the powerhouse, especially if you care to use Parthia. It does have a limited number of uses, like everything else. Still, his bow usage makes him great as an anti-flier character, so I like using him.

And Steve gains Def, which is a cause to celebrate in and of itself. :toot:

Oh, hey, guess what time it is? Turn 8 .

How did he get over here? :stonk:

: Hardin... Why did you to attack our country? What would compel you to do such an act? I... I can't believe this. Have you really changed this much?

: That includes you, Prince... I must destroy this foul world... It is beyond salvation.

Any doubt Hardin has completely lost it is erased by now.

: Traitors, playtime is over. You will all die here. All soldiers, attack! Do not leave a single traitor standing!

And now, 4 generals show up, Hardin starts moving, Astram starts moving, the heroes start moving, and all hell breaks loose. Hope you hurried.

I took this opportunity to let Wendell exercise some of his sweet Magic skills.

Feena gets a level as well. And now let's finish this map as soon as possible.

:toot:

: Worry not, sire. I will remain here. I will regroup with everyone later.

: Steve! But...

: Sire, you of all people know that Steve is more than capable. As long as Steve is there, everyone will escape safely and reunite with you at once. Now sire, to the boat!

Nice to get some respect from Jagen. :unsmith:

STEVE, SERIOUSLY NOT THE drat TIME.

: I don't mind if you keep it for a little longer. Do you wish to give it back?

: No... If it's alright with you, I'd like to hold on it a little longer.

: Yes, that would be splendid. ...By the way, should I be hurrying too?

At this point I assume Hardin had to get distracted by a bird or something.

: Erm... Yes, hurry up and escape!

And that concludes Chapter 8. With proper use of Feena, you can probably finish it faster, but you'd miss that whole scene with Hardin, and where's the fun in that?

There are some quotes for attacking the boss enemies in this chapter, but if you get them (Aside from the Jeorge ones I guess), you're probably going to die, so I'm just putting them at the end of the update.

: You traitors! I'll show you the might of Mercurius!!

: You wouldn't have needed to die if you hadn't come so close, fools...

Hardin has 3!

: Rebel soldiers... Come to die, have you? I'll show you the terror of Gradivus!

Against Marth:

: Prince Marth! I'll bury you with these very hands!

Against Steve

: Who are you? Your face is unknown to me.

: Steve. I am Prince Marth's Royal Guard. Emperor Hardin of Archanea, the prince told me that you were once a trusted friend. Why would you do something like this?

: Steve, is it...? What does it matter to you? You will die here regardless.

Next time, we'll have escaped the imminent danger of Archanea and stepped into a whole new mess.

Desert maps.

See you then.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cain is pretty much interchangeable with Navarre. They have almost identical bases and similar growths. I kind of prefer Cain, especially on higher difficulties, because his 90% speed growth as a myrmidon (versus Navarre's 70%) will keep him doubling everything and having some lance rank means he can go dracoknight or cavalier a lot easier.

Noelor
Oct 5, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

Next time, we'll have escaped the imminent danger of Archanea and stepped into a whole new mess.

Desert maps.

See you then.

Oh dear.

Is this one of the deserts you need all your thieves to collect items in?

Also, I am in favour of turning Barst (and basically anyone else who can) into a pirate. Pirates are great.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Goodbye favorite map. Hello, not-worst.

Noelor posted:

Oh dear.

Is this one of the deserts you need all your thieves to collect items in?

Thankfully, no. Sadly, that one comes later.

Thankfully again, though, all characters have a 100% chance of finding the goods in that map

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 17, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

LordHippoman posted:

Oh, hey, guess what time it is? Turn 8 .
A little bit less of the surprise factor, but still, :haw:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Ha. Just loaded up my most recent playthrough and it turns out I'd left off at this exact same spot. So I can play along from here out without having to play catchup.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I think it's a little redundant to harp on Roger's 0% Res growth, given that most non-casters have a 0% Res growth, with the remainder having a paltry 5%, barring a few rare exceptions.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

This last map kind of amuses me because it shows how fe3 did escape objectives better than the games that actually had it as a legitimate objective.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

"Honey, I got you a knight! You said you wanted a knight, right?"

It will never not be hilarious.

Is it too late to opt to stay behind and get run through by Hardin instead?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

vilkacis posted:

"Honey, I got you a knight! You said you wanted a knight, right?"

It will never not be hilarious.
Considering how many people Caeda does this to and succeeds, it will never stop being hilarious.

Also, it's time for everyone's favorite type of map, the desert map! :suicide:

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student

EclecticTastes posted:

I think it's a little redundant to harp on Roger's 0% Res growth, given that most non-casters have a 0% Res growth, with the remainder having a paltry 5%, barring a few rare exceptions.

Yeah, it's not that Roger has a low base resistance either his base resistance growth is 10% which what most physical units have, in fact the only physical units (with reclass) that have higher are Ogma, Maris, Athena, Macellan, and Tomas with 15% and Dice, Jake, Robert, Sheema and Midia with 20% of those units exactly 1 of them actually matters (Ogma), so his 0% res is completely pointless to complain about.

Also fun fact Wyrs and Dice are the only people that can reach the highest resistance growth in the game (50%), because they are the only units with a base 20% resistance growth are tier 1 units and Priest/Cleric has a 10% higher resistance growth than Bishop (sage and bishop have the same growth rates for some reason) you need to be tier 1 in order to get your maximum resistance.

Also I have to point out that the Bishop's resistance cap of 30 is absolutely hilarious because no one will ever reach that ever except a Resistance blessed Wyrs.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Cain is pretty much interchangeable with Navarre. They have almost identical bases and similar growths. I kind of prefer Cain, especially on higher difficulties, because his 90% speed growth as a myrmidon (versus Navarre's 70%) will keep him doubling everything and having some lance rank means he can go dracoknight or cavalier a lot easier.

Huh. I never noticed that. Also surprised Cain is faster than Navarre, given how much the developers seemed to love Navarre as this badass sword guy.

EclecticTastes posted:

Fair point. It was the morning, I was tired, and I just kinda scrolled through Roger's growth table going "Okay what's a downside I can mention here". I forgot how hard this game hated on Res. I know it's always one of the rarest stats, but jesus.

theshim posted:

A little bit less of the surprise factor, but still, :haw:

I wanted to use the track that plays when Hardin talks, but I couldn't find the title on the OST so I just went for what this bit reminded me of in Fire Emblem "oh gently caress" factor.

Lotish posted:

Ha. Just loaded up my most recent playthrough and it turns out I'd left off at this exact same spot. So I can play along from here out without having to play catchup.

Given my update rate you can probably lap me, really! This game sorta has a new game plus, if you want to count the Mixed Class Sets or Lunatic Reverse.

vilkacis posted:

Is it too late to opt to stay behind and get run through by Hardin instead?

If we lure Hardin into the desert his move will probably drop to like 1 and he'll likely die from heat exhaustion before he finishes his dramatic monologue. Unfortunately, he is not following us, because Archanea has never heard of "boats".

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, it's time for everyone's favorite type of map, the desert map! :suicide:

This one isn't as bad as usual! It's not FE6 levels of "i loving hate this".

weso12 posted:

Also I have to point out that the Bishop's resistance cap of 30 is absolutely hilarious because no one will ever reach that ever except a Resistance blessed Wyrs.

I figured that was probably in place for bosses, although even then I think only the last boss on Lunatic hits it. I could be totally wrong because I'm just spitballing, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

This one isn't as bad as usual! It's not FE6 levels of "i loving hate this".
I highly doubt anything will top FE6's desert map in terms of sheer aggravation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I highly doubt anything will top FE6's desert map in terms of sheer aggravation.

Well, I just got to fe7's on hhm using a randomizer. I have exactly 1 good mage and all my fliers are garbage or fiora who wasn't used due to not being randomized. Also did I mention that the pent I'm trying to fish out of the opposite corner of the map is a general surrounded by mages and with high enough con that only like 2 people can rescue him?

That said 3 has pretty chill desert maps, if memory serves this one has a nice easy path of not desert for you to take.

• Locked thread