Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was a fun ride. You really did a good job pulling out from a rough start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
Wow, that was impressive! Hopefully there are no Psilons this next time around.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
man, that was heartbreaking. that was the last hurdle i saw in your way though. sucks that it had to come up.

really well played, duder. you should stream this bad boy on twitch sometime.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Hey, you played a hard game and managed to *survive* this far against so many rough turns. You kept on fighting. Anyone else would have quit by tableflip long ago.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
That was a fantastic, edge of the seat run.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
And while we're at it, you were in second place and at maximum relations and an alliance with the guy that did win. Random supernovae and plagues aside, the future of the Meklar as a species looks pretty good.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

ManxomeBromide posted:

And while we're at it, you were in second place and at maximum relations and an alliance with the guy that did win. Random supernovae and plagues aside, the future of the Meklar as a species looks pretty good.

That's true! In an "actual" history, that would be how it went. Good points!

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Thotimx posted:

I knew this. I really did. I just didn't remember it at the time. And I paid the price.

:negative:

But like everybody else said, you played a really strong recovery. You had a tough map to begin with with runaway Psilons across the galaxy, and then one negative random event after another, and still clawed back to 2nd place. It feels like Meklars are just cursed with bad maps, like that one I mentioned where I had to get 2 tiers of range and controlled landings to go beyond 2 planets. "Law of small numbers" and all but still!

wedgekree posted:

Hey, you played a hard game and managed to *survive* this far against so many rough turns. You kept on fighting. Anyone else would have quit by tableflip long ago.

I'm still impressed that he didn't reload after losing the first colony ship in the Human run. I don't know anybody else that would've kept that. :sweatdrop:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ManxomeBromide posted:

Large-scale events like these are kind of the only thing I really like about the first game, and I kind of miss it in MO3. There, you sometimes get stuff like space locusts eating part of your food production on a single planet, or some horrors of the deep get released... and then only destroy one tiny thing in one region on one planet. In about 15 years of playing MO3, I've never seen an actually dangerous event. All random events tend to be stuck at the "slightly annoying"-level, it's kind of dumb.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Libluini posted:

Large-scale events like these are kind of the only thing I really like about the first game, and I kind of miss it in MO3. There, you sometimes get stuff like space locusts eating part of your food production on a single planet, or some horrors of the deep get released... and then only destroy one tiny thing in one region on one planet. In about 15 years of playing MO3, I've never seen an actually dangerous event. All random events tend to be stuck at the "slightly annoying"-level, it's kind of dumb.
what the gently caress

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

what the gently caress

Well, it's 2018 now and the game came out in 2003. :v:

But since it's early 2018 and I found the game (my first space 4x ever, by the way) lying around in the unwanted-bin of my local video rental at some point in early 2004 / late 2003, it's probably closer to 14 years

Back then I was like "sweet, this looks like a SF-version of Civilization" and immediately bought it. Never regretted even, despite all of Master of Orion III's many, many faults. I just love this dumb, old game.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You have to understand that, while I'm sure we're all adults here, men and women of the world, it's still a little jarring to have someone just up and admit their masochistic torture fetish like that :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

CommissarMega posted:

You have to understand that, while I'm sure we're all adults here, men and women of the world, it's still a little jarring to have someone just up and admit their masochistic torture fetish like that :v:

You must've missed Libluini's amazing MOOIII LP.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Randalor posted:

Come on second turn "Sun going supernova" event! Let's see if we can make this pain train complete!

Not nice.

FriendCommuter posted:

Congratulations on staving off defeat as long as you did. I genuinely didn't think you'd recover that well.

Lots of you said similar things; thanks for the support. One of the reasons I keep going with games like this one is that I just think it's a lot more interesting that way(I'm 4-3 right now) than the whole 'snowball the galaxy' routine.

coolguye posted:

really well played, duder. you should stream this bad boy on twitch sometime.

I'm not sure that would go that well. I'd need hardware I don't have to be a live-streamer(I realize that's a much more popular medium), and I also would need to get better at 'in-the-flow' commentary. A lot of what I write in the updates here is after I've taken a look at the situation and thought about it for a while. Beyond that, I'm not sure how interesting it would be to watch, in some games, the 15-20 year process of adjusting the sliders on two dozen planets EVERY.SINGLE.TURN while I'm terraforming. But I do very much appreciate the compliment. Perhaps I'll try it someday.

Libluini posted:

In about 15 years of playing MO3

Don't make me do a MOO3 LP myself after this one, and spend the entire thing ripping the game up one side and down the other, before I'm forced to announce halfway through that I've been committed against my will to a mental institution, able to do little more than drool and nod. In all seriousness, i'm glad you enjoy it. In fact, I envy you for enjoying it. And as PoptartsNinja mentions, your LP of it is quite good. But I still struggle to explain the quoted statement as more than a manifestation of insanity(no disrespect intended). I also think it's hilarious that of all the stuff to rag on MOO3 for ... the random events system is the one that draws your ire. In all seriousness though, thanks for popping in.

ManxomeBromide posted:

n second place and at maximum relations and an alliance with the guy that did win. Random supernovae and plagues aside, the future of the Meklar as a species looks pretty good.

That's the ticket! I didn't really lose, I just made a wise choice to accept my role in the galaxy. Except ... I really did lose. But I do like this outlook.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode VIII: Opening

The Meklar are back, with a Large galaxy this time. Standard choice emperor QX-537.

We start along the right, with a cluster in the upper-left that could house multiple foes. Some yellow stars near us stand as possible good early expansion opportunities. Candidate homeworlds are aplenty in every sector. And the empire picks are unkind. Psilons, Klackons, and Humans. No Silicoids this time, but the only prospective pushover here are the Mrrshan. Quite a tough group of rivals.

This yellow star, just two parsecs away(the minimum distance) looks to be our best option. The red one below and to the left is also in range at three parsecs and would be a little better directionally, towards the galactic centre. Both will extend our range though and everything going towards the rim is at least four distant, out of range. Looks to be a good setup, and the colony ship will make for the yellow one.

Fairly subpar but not terrible. Getting there in minimum time will help however. We'll need a healthy dose of Recons now, ten of them to bring our scouts up to a full dozen. That'll take at least two years, maybe part of a third, to accomplish. The usual 1M/year pop transfers to Dolz begin as well.

Poor, but Rhilus, the other system we could have reached, ends up being larger than Meklon by a bit. You just never know. Definitely figures as a good early pop incubator and later on research colony. Prioritizing systems in the direction of the middle of the galaxy, the Recon Rush begins.

Looks like everything's better than our first colony in the vicinity. Nine Recons are finished in the first two years, so we have to build another one in the third.

Here they are fanning out in 2307. Meklon's above the half-way point in terms of population and we'll start getting more scouting results soon.

This will definitely be low on the priority list, crap location and utility.

This is quite different and we could well be settling it soon. Rhilus is to the right of it and is our only option for settling next, and Selia is probably in range of that. We also stop sending population to Dolz at this point. Time for the focused buildup.

2309, and the scouting continues. Our first rich world, moderately hostile. We'll definitely want to keep a watch on this. That was it for the year; the bulk were slated to arrive the next cycle.

A place to live long and prosper indeed.

Boo.

It's not all good news, but a lot of it is. Big worlds plus our industrial capacity makes this promising.

A long-term project, but a second rich system in the vicinity.

Last of the half-dozen we reached this year. Haven't yet seen a single rival, and only one system remains unscouted.

That's it. Most of the crud is fairly far away.

The cursor here points to the only yellow star along the right side that we haven't explored. I think we'd have seen their ships by now if it was a homeworld, so we could have a free hand for a bit along this flank. Other than the strength of our rival selections, this is going quite well so far.

We won't need to go into propulsion research as quickly as last game either, so it's all about the industrial buildup for now. Still a question of how long to keep it going.

2317 -- Nothing has changed in terms of contacts. Dolz starts shipping people back to max-out Meklon's population.

2325 -- Meklon has max population and just over half factories(203). Time to stretch our legs. Based on how the systems are spaced, I'm certain we will be able to get two and only two additional systems at our current range tech, Rhilus and Selia. Dolz will do the initial diversion of funding to get our tech pulls, while Meklon pauses industry to get these two ships out there.

** Computing: ECM Jammer Mk. I
** Construction: Industrial Tech 9/Reduced Industrial Waste 80%. We'll happily go with the reduced waste.
** Force Fields: Class II Deflectors
** Planetology: Improved Eco Restoration. No terraforming, no Barren Landings.
** Propulsion: Deuterium Fuel Cells(Range 5). Would have preferred hydrogen but I'll take it. At least two high-quality systems will be within range once we get this.
** Weapons: Hyper-V Rockets.

Only one choice to be made here initially, and it was an easy one given how high our waste bill is going to be. We'll rush the Deuterium for range, then rush the reduced waste.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Definitely expand downward so you can pounce on those rich infernos the second you get the tech. IIRC that's the tech after "dead" landings so you have some time, but position is everything.

Compared to last time this has been down right hospitable. Maybe the game feels guilty?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thotimx posted:

Don't make me do a MOO3 LP myself after this one, and spend the entire thing ripping the game up one side and down the other, before I'm forced to announce halfway through that I've been committed against my will to a mental institution, able to do little more than drool and nod. In all seriousness, i'm glad you enjoy it. In fact, I envy you for enjoying it. And as PoptartsNinja mentions, your LP of it is quite good. But I still struggle to explain the quoted statement as more than a manifestation of insanity(no disrespect intended). I also think it's hilarious that of all the stuff to rag on MOO3 for ... the random events system is the one that draws your ire. In all seriousness though, thanks for popping in.

Thanks! It's always nice to hear people actually liking the convoluted mess that is my LPs. :v:

I also really enjoy your LP, even though I couldn't get into the older Master of Orion games myself. But from a historical perspective, it's always fascinating to watch someone play these old games.

Also, Master of Orion III isn't too bad as long as you apply all patches, both official and fan-made. It also helps if you can read German, because it spares you of having to wrangle with dozens of patch files to get the game into a playable state. Ultima Orion is quite good! Now, Imperium for the Atari ST is a truly bad game: Even the simple act of looking up a planet's info means fighting three different menus, while desperately hoping your Atari won't suddenly crash because you clicked into empty space in a way the game didn't like. That game still gives me the hives. It genuinely made me feel revulsion when playing too long. MOIII is the best game ever compared to that burning trash in a dumpster fire. And the shmup Amnios for the Amiga still makes me angry even thinking about it -on my YouTube channel you can watch me cursing in broken English as I try to understand and play it. Anyway, right now Imperium (for the Atari ST, something I have to mention every time because there are loving dozens of games called "Imperium") is something I consider the absolute nadir of space 4x. And considering that game was made by two drunken college students and as a port from the Sinclair ZX80, I can't even imagine how you could get worse even when trying to fail intentionally.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Very nice start.

Watch the humans win a first council victory

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BurningStone posted:

Very nice start.

Watch the humans win a first council victory

We'll lure the LPer into a false sense of security and let him think he has no nearby competitors to stop his expansion, and we'll throw the humans into a congested area of the galaxy and make it easy for them to immediately have a diplo victory.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

A ton can still go wrong, but that's quite a good selection of early planets.

Now for all of your colonies to get plagued again! :v:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay! No random self destructions of ships this time or find out you've got a bad case of prematurely declared war!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Libluini posted:

Also, Master of Orion III isn't too bad as long as you apply all patches, both official and fan-made. It also helps if you can read German, because it spares you of having to wrangle with dozens of patch files to get the game into a playable state. Ultima Orion is quite good!

man there's a lot of bad games out there where the line is "oh just install these half-dozen fan patches and it's great!" but "also you have to learn german" is a new one

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nice to see this round going better. The last run was so bad it started giving me flashbacks to playing Imperium (for... you should know by now)

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

man there's a lot of bad games out there where the line is "oh just install these half-dozen fan patches and it's great!" but "also you have to learn german" is a new one

And now imagine how bad Imperium has to be for me to go "gently caress this, I'm out". :v:

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Boy, do I have have some submarine simulator games to show you!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Libluini posted:

And now imagine how bad Imperium has to be for me to go "gently caress this, I'm out". :v:

I kind of liked that one of the side comments was "and the German will make more sense if you're familiar with a specific series of old German pulp SF adventures".

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ManxomeBromide posted:

I kind of liked that one of the side comments was "and the German will make more sense if you're familiar with a specific series of old German pulp SF adventures".

This reminds me, I still have to buy two more volumes of the book-version of PR this month. I'm still lagging like 40 books behind the current one. :v:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

OAquinas posted:

Compared to last time this has been down right hospitable. Maybe the game feels guilty?

Position is indeed everything. Interesting that other readers had a differing theory ...

Black Balloon posted:

Now for all of your colonies to get plagued again!

General Revil posted:

We'll lure the LPer into a false sense of security and let him think he has no nearby competitors to stop his expansion, and we'll throw the humans into a congested area of the galaxy and make it easy for them to immediately have a diplo victory.

Etc. Seems to be a decided lack of faith in the generosity of the MOO RNG. I can't IMAGINE why ...

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Apologies for the FRAPS counter shown on some of the screenshots in the last couple of updates. That's not intentional(and in fact rather distracting), and I'm not sure how many of them there will be but I don't usually have FRAPS on when I MOO. I'll try to make sure I don't in the future.

Episode VIII: 2325-2350

Our second system here will split effort between getting a few more recons out there in time to be ahead of the colonizers, and continuing to put some into research to build up for that need. First Colonizer is done in 2329, six years ahead of last year but we had the range obstacle then.

It'll take a really long time to build Rhilus up. Four new systems come into range. I was a year late getting them out there, but five were built so that's not bad in terms of timing it out. Selia is indeed in range, and there's just enough time to use the Reloc trick to get a colonizer there a bit faster. More Recons are now coming as well.

The next year, 2333, with the second Colonizer on it's way. The latest issue now is how much to invest in research vs. building up the industry on Meklon more. I elect to go with a 50-50 split until we get closer as not much progress has been made yet. That'll slow us down some now but still make progress towards a better industrial foundation. Meanwhile Dolz sent 14M colonists to Rhilus initially and will send more each year to the large planet.

Another nice one. Lots of large systems, and still no contacts.

The trend continues. It's 2338, and Selia is colonized the same year. As anticipated, everything we can land on is four parsecs or more away. Almost in prototype range, so with Meklon at 243 factories, just over 60%, I shift back into research at this point. Could use a lot more industry of course but I just don't think I have the time with all of the worlds waiting for us to settle them.

Everything upwards is six or more out, so that still won't be happening; we appear to have plenty of room to expand left and down though.

Another hole in the galaxy.

Got pretty good luck in acquiring the fuel cells in 2342. A more combat-heavy race would go after the Inertial Stabilizer, but we'll go Nuclear Engines here; they are less than half the cost of the others.

Now the real push begins, and we'll find out how many of these systems we can get before anyone else does. Some work will be put into reduced waste but only at a minimal level -- Dolz is also throwing out some more Recons now that we have a longer reach.

It would be the bloody Psilons first. We chase their scout away as we arrive at this star, only to find it's a third uninhabitable one. Most likely they are on the left side somewhere.

Best one we've seen yet, and I'm quite surprised it's not taken or a homeworld.

Right in the middle of the galaxy.

2346, and we find another foe. It was a colony ship, but unarmed so we were able to scout the system. Zoctan(Inferno, 35M). Nothing worthwhile. And then this.

The Psilon scout we chased was headed to the same place, and so probably encountered the same fate.

This is the largest use in this LP I've found for a technique that was suggested in the second or third game a while back. Rhilus was colonized 15 years ago, but just recently started spending anything at all in ecology. Letting the waste build up when a planet has a low population is actually beneficial until it's halfway full. Factories can get built a bit faster and it helps population growth if anything.

The homeworld has been doing a lot of this lately; spending whatever the 'remainder' is above what is necessary to get a Colonizer out in the minimum number of turns on industry. Very slowly progress is being made there.

2348, and the last few of the current wave have arrived at their destinations or are about to. Yet another good-sized, standard, unclaimed world.

The top-notch systems just don't stop, and this was the last chance at basically having a homeworld on this side of the galaxy. This is really turning out to be an incredible starting location for us.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This looks promising. Looks like you might just be able to claim half of the galaxy to yourself. Better get working on that veto block though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm sure the RNG has something unkind up its sleeve for you, this is far too good.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Looking promising so far.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm sure the RNG has something unkind up its sleeve for you, this is far too good.

Settling so many planets so quickly can trigger the "gently caress the human" response in the AI, so he might find himself in unavoidable wars or worse--a council vote before he secures veto.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Well, you never know, maybe the RNG is actually giving him a break for once...?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, you never know, maybe the RNG is actually giving him a break for once...?

how dare you jinx it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Thotimx posted:

I'm not sure that would go that well. I'd need hardware I don't have to be a live-streamer(I realize that's a much more popular medium), and I also would need to get better at 'in-the-flow' commentary. A lot of what I write in the updates here is after I've taken a look at the situation and thought about it for a while. Beyond that, I'm not sure how interesting it would be to watch, in some games, the 15-20 year process of adjusting the sliders on two dozen planets EVERY.SINGLE.TURN while I'm terraforming. But I do very much appreciate the compliment. Perhaps I'll try it someday.
all this is super fair but just to note, regarding how interesting it would be to watch: what you're describing is what sullla does, and that cat does just fine.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Aerdan posted:

how dare you jinx it

*snicker*

RabidWeasel posted:

The 'half-empty' philosopher has appeared.

OAquinas posted:

Settling so many planets so quickly can trigger the "gently caress the human" response in the AI, so he might find himself in unavoidable wars or worse--a council vote before he secures veto.

One of these is virtually guaranteed, but I definitely would still take the current situation. And I haven't actually settled that many of them yet.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode VIII: 2350-2375

** Warning: A lot of stuff happened this quarter-century. Your browsers may scream in pain at the number of images here.

Half a century in, we've explored over a third of the map. No official contact and only the Psilons & Sakkra spotted, and that briefly. We still don't know where any of their systems are. Four planets for us, with two Colonizers out there and another soon to complete. GNN hasn't put in their two cents with any reports, so it's safe to say nobody else is off to a particularly fast start. It's looking really, really good right now.

I need to not screw this up.

We've just achieved getting a decent amount of population to Selia, the last system, while Meklon continues to inch ever-so-slowly upwards in terms of industry and Dolz puts a nigh-impercetible amount of effort into research.

Not shown here: we also settled Kailis the same year. For the first time this game, the settlement of Vega found me a few Recons short at the front, though more are incoming. Takes a long time to get out there.

2355, and another round of scouting begins. Where in the heck is everyone?!?

Fourth useless system.

Starting to find some of the hostiles. A colonizer is dispatched to that big terran in the middle we found a while back -- 11-year journey. Time to hurry up and wait.

The further out we get, the more crap we find.

We may literally have half the galaxy to ourselves. Not counting my chickens nearly yet, but this game could virtually be over before it begins at this rate.

Size and fertility are reasonable reasons to overlook the poverty of this system, but the most important factor is that it is the only way to extend our range in the upper-middle sector.

Meanwhile all the rich systems we've found are strikingly similar to each other.

Mu Delphi gives us first contact, 59 years in.

We are not impressed. They are erratic expansionists, which means we're going to go for a minimal trade deal here if convenient. We haven't run into many Erratics, but I never invest in long-term relations, because if they wake up on the wrong side of the bed in the morning we'll be at war. Let's hope that isn't soon.

Despite 'Unease' relations, they agree to a 25BC deal without a bribe. Good, because I didn't want to offer them one anyway.

Up 7 planets to 2, as one of the slower-starting races against one of the fastest. I'll take that. I'll also be keeping an eye on trying to cut them off from circling around us at the top of the galaxy.

Below this at Moro, we were pushed away by an escorted Psilon colony ship the next year. Then this -- which is occupied.

We have seven. What are we, chopped liver?!? Naturally though, this is the worst news we could have gotten here. The eggheads are stretching their legs and doing better than we are by a bit, despite how well we are doing. Finally the end of the rope is near.

Other than gobbling up every system in their general direction, there is little to do here. Going military would be useless due to the number of systems we have access to and the distance(at warp 1) we need to travel to get there. I'll be establishing our border as far forward as possible, and we'll see where exactly that ends up being. Should have enough Recons to cover everything already out there, with almost 40 in commission and some of the back-line systems far enough away to not need them.

A few, but not many decent systems. It's either nothing/crap or good ones.

This could be unfortunate. To reach the very top-middle, we need to get Laan, where the next Colonizer to be built will be headed. That's the red star above Mu Delphi, which is where this Sakkra colony ship appears to be headed. If it's armed, which it may well be at this point, we're in trouble.

Important moment in 2366. Biggest planet we've found and right on the emerging border with the Psilons. This should establish contact with them, giving us a better picture of things.

Lots of stuff going on here. First of all, domestically Meklon is up to 80% industrialized and first-colony Dolz has stopped sending out transports, slowly building up and increasing our very meager research effort(21-22 RP per year right now, which is less than peanuts).

The three key points circled from top to bottom are the focus of border attention:

** Laan, where the Sakkra will arrive in a year or two. We're about a decade from getting a colonizer there, so it's out of our hands.

** Uninhabitable and Guardian system in the middle. These help create an artificial barrier.

** One colonizer is a few years out from Meklon headed in the direction of the final pair. Primodius(100 max) is the yellow star, Stalaz(45 i think) the green one. I want both, and if it's still open I'll send the colonizer on to Stalaz to extend our reach, but otherwhise I'll hope to settle for Primodius which will be it's next waypoint(so it can stop there if Stalaz has been seized). These are key to setting our border as far leftward as possible in the bottom of the map.

There are eight other standard worlds behind this line, most of which we can reach. I expect us to get a lot bigger, but I'm trying to be greedy since our position allows to potentially be in the upper teens for systems by the time initial expansion is done. That would be amazing. 15 at the absolute low point here which is enough. The Psilons are still on eight which is good news. A second system pumping out Colonizers would be nice, but as our first two colonies were mid-sized Dolz and mineral-poor Rhilus, that is not going to happen.

I've been continually pushing population forward as always, and Vega, closest system, was able to send an immediate influx of 17M to Anraq to get things jump-started there. The Psilons are standard as standard can be, Honorable Technologists. They agree to a current-max 150 BC trade deal. This will slow Meklon's progress and the buildup elsewhere, but good relations here are worth their weight in gold.

Looking good in terms of territory, production, and population. The rest will come.

The Sakkra show up at Laan ... but they've got missiles! This is a good thing because they will still retreat if they run out of them. They miss once ... but the second one, which I think was the last, takes us down. Drat.

Humans. We're getting chased off all over the place here. Lost three systems this year -- but two were uninhabitable. The Sakkra colony at Laan could prove to be a thorn. Blast their marksmanship.

This is nice though. Ran into Klackons in a remote system the next year -- everyone's coming out of the woodwork now. Hopefully they're mostly content to fight amongst each other on the left side. Probably not, but one can hope.

The only hole in the Psilon border, and this is why. A lot of worthless systems; this is six of them I think.

Not a plague, but also not good news. None of my planets are maxed-out on industry, so none of them can help. Rigel is a new system with literally zero production(though population is on the way). It shouldn't take much to do the research, but you can't be too careful. Meklon will take over four years to max out at full effort, and then could begin transfers. That means suspending colonizer production, but every effort must be made. Running with nothing in the reserve is a risk, and I may pay for it here.

If we get the two above it, Lyae here will be vital in shutting off access at the bottom of the galaxy. With just one year and at most a single BC of investment, Rigel handles the solar rejuvenator crisis. That was hilariously easy, a combination of the event hitting a just-formed colony and probably a kind roll from the dice as well. Lost only a year of production and it wasn't even that much in the long run, with Meklon building 17 factories in that time.

This appears to be the most isolated system in the galaxy, but it's another good one.

2373; our second research tech is in, and it should have been 2-3 years sooner. This is welcomed naturally given the struggles we had with waste last time, and we're almost to spending half our production on ecology in some places already. The next choice comes down to Industrial Tech 8 and Durallay Armor. We'll have some systems maxed out by the time we get the cheaper factories, but that's a more inexpensive option anyway and it should be soon enough to pay dividends as we continue to expand and build up.

Worst habitable system I've seen so far. This concludes the scouting and shifting-around phase for the most part. Population is still getting sent forward but more and more systems are now able to conserve their people and focus on industrial development. There are no more systems in range and few outside of it to scout, and Meklon is now producting a Colonizer every three years instead of every four. We'll now shift research focus to Advanced Eco Restoration, which is what I should have been going after all along. I'm a moron for going for reduced waste(more expensive, less impact). Arglebarglezorzakon.

The next year, the Sakkra land 33 troop transports on Laan, which had 6M or more population already and a max of 25. So at least 14M of them died of exposure or something similar. That's just impressively stupid.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
This is starting to look interesting. Who can snowball faster?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All those blue dots make me shudder at the level of micro required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I think we got this!