Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Mordja posted:

Yeah, I listened to that recently and the Google guy sounds like a loving cult member. It was bizarre hearing him constantly bring up his game collection when one of the fears about Stadia is its potential to have a very negative impact on game preservation. The whole thing was a real tonal shift after Phil Spencer's take on game streaming too. The way he put it was that most people would want to stick with PCs or home consoles when at, well, home and that the streaming is something you'd use to take your games on the go.

I understand why Gerstmann keeps those interviews very non-confrontational, but I would've loved to hear him challenge that Google rep on some of the things he was saying. In this week's Giant Bombcast episode (the first they've done since E3), Gerstmann talks about those interviews some more and it sounds like he came out of E3 even more confused and uncertain about Stadia than he was going in.

EDIT: Your comment about their "game collection" talk reminded me of Gerstmann asking if Stadia could handle even old 90s-era 16-bit games with really tight input timings, and the Google guy more or less screamed "yep! It'll play anything you throw at it!", and I'll believe that poo poo when I see it.

Barry Convex posted:

I just don't see how Stadia Pro has much of a chance of success unless Google is really aggressive in securing exclusive games and/or a sizable "free with Stadia Pro" library, and neither of those seem likely at this point.

I think that's what Stadia Pro needs to have any chance at success, and I agree, it doesn't look like that's happening - getting big exclusives or a wide library within the next year could only be done by shelling out a ton of cash to developers and publishers, and that doesn't seem to be going on.

I can't wait to find out what their pricing will be on games you "purchase" from Stadia. I've already written a few older posts on why I think any one-time-purchase model is incompatible with streaming in the long-term, but it's clear Google wants to try it anyway, and I really want to know if they're going to list new games at the full $60 like everywhere else, or if Google's going to cut some big checks to subsidize them and lure some people in with lower prices. (But now that I think about it - is that even an option for AAA titles from big publishers? Would a Bethesda or Ubisoft be willing to piss off traditional retailers that much?)

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sounds like Stadia game's won't be any cheaper

quote:

It had been unclear whether these games would cost full-price on Stadia, given you're simply streaming them as opposed to buying a disc or downloading the game onto a hard-drive. But in a roundtable interview with UK games press this morning, attended by Eurogamer, Stadia chief Phil Harrison indicated Stadia games will cost the same as they do on other platforms such as the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One - that is, they won't be cheaper.

"I don't know why it would be cheaper," Harrison replied when Eurogamer asked.

So, how does Stadia justify charging full-price for a video game you can only stream? By making it available to play on any screen, Harrison said.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Seems like a silly question to ask. Or are games in the Eshop/Playstation store so much cheaper then in retail?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
PlayStation store games usually become $40 after a year with half price sales even before that

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Seems like a silly question to ask. Or are games in the Eshop/Playstation store so much cheaper then in retail?

Retail and digital download games dont require a subscription to play in 4K, and you dont have to worry about your game going away someday because somebody doesnt feel like paying for the server time anymore.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blotto_Otter posted:

Retail and digital download games dont require a subscription to play in 4K, and you dont have to worry about your game going away someday because somebody doesnt feel like paying for the server time anymore.

Except that that is a point for all digital storefronts. Take the wii shop as an example. Some are more susceptible thanothers like Nintendo products due to Nintendo not getting internet and Stadia due to Google being Google, but it's the same for all. The ps3 store will at some point also be shut down.

And as for the subscription part, you buy a console and sometimes buy a subscription on those consoles to play on the internet as well.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
At least with non streaming digital games you at least have the option to download your library to a fat hard drive and keep it for as long as that lasts. Stadia stuff is presumably gone forever if they ever decide to shut down the service as google likes to do

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Klyith posted:

I am getting the feeling that Google isn't actually putting any money into this thing. Thus the whole "pay $10 a month, still buy all the games" and launching with a free game that was going free to play anyways. The easiest reason for Bungie being unwilling to do more than the minimum effort on Stadia is because Google isn't paying them. And since google only has 1 or 2 games they're making / publishing themselves, this thing will continue to look like a terrible deal.

They're spending money on the cloud servers to run the thing, but google could have been planning to deploy servers with high-performance GPUs to their datacenters anyways.

Google is almost certainly funding the Stadia port of Destiny 2, and in fact Id wager Bungie is one of the few developers willing to do it, specifically because they just bought themselves out from their publisher and are eager for work. The reason cross-play isnt being implemented is because it just isnt there on the other platforms (Bungie says theyre looking into it but that poo poo takes a lot of work and legal agreements,) and Stadia isnt just streaming the PC version, its a whole new build likely based on Android.

Darth TNT posted:

And as for the subscription part, you buy a console and sometimes buy a subscription on those consoles to play on the internet as well.

Please explain how this has anything to do with having to pay a subscription just to play a single player game like Assassins Creed on Stadia.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Pirate Jet posted:

...Stadia isn’t just streaming the PC version, it’s a whole new build likely based on Android.

I think you mean Vulkan? Android runtimes have nothing to do with this.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pirate Jet posted:

Google is almost certainly funding the Stadia port of Destiny 2, and in fact Id wager Bungie is one of the few developers willing to do it, specifically because they just bought themselves out from their publisher and are eager for work. The reason cross-play isnt being implemented is because it just isnt there on the other platforms (Bungie says theyre looking into it but that poo poo takes a lot of work and legal agreements,) and Stadia isnt just streaming the PC version, its a whole new build likely based on Android.

Just building the game for linux instead of windows wouldn't make them unable to communicate with a server (a server which is almost certainly running on linux anyways). It's not like the consoles where at minimum you have platform-specific multiplayer systems that have to be followed.

I guess what's more likely is that they're also putting the game servers for the Stadia version of Destiny in the Stadia cloud, rather than wherever they operate them for other versions. That seems more likely based on the google guy's interview with Giant Bomb; he talks about putting game servers in Google's cloud and how being right next to clients will be a big advantage. (At the very least for multiplayer games it cancels some of the input lag issue by removing server lag -- assuming you're playing with other people in your cloud cluster.) So maybe Destiny on Stadia doesn't have cross-play because they're sectioned off into their own servers.

That interview was pretty bad because the guy was doing the tech-bro thing where everything is 100% upside and their tech is going to solve all problems, including the problems it creates itself (like game preservation). At some point if you're not going to say anything is a con in the pros & cons, you might as well just repeat "we're crushing it" for 10 minutes. But it did give some more vision to where they think they're going, when he started talking about 1000 player battle royales and stuff. In a future where everything is a multiplayer games-as-a-service la Destiny or The Division, they have some advantages and fewer drawbacks.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

Please explain how this has anything to do with having to pay a subscription just to play a single player game like Assassins Creed on Stadia.

It doesn't on purely single player games. But a lot of games are multiplayer or have multiplayer components. For people who like playing multiplayer it's the same thing.
Additionally, that's what the purchase cost of a console is for. You paid 400-500 for a console, do you know how many months of Stadia that is? Before we can play our single player game we needed to buy a console.

I'm not fond of the Stadia idea, I think it's going to be horrible for the consumer in the long run. It's going to be worse than even the digital games only on consoles option.
The only thing I'm saying is, there's no reason to expect there to be a discount on the games on Stadia.
You don't get a discount on digital games in the console storefronts either despite you not actually owning those games either.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
You technically don't own digital games on consoles, but the way they're delivered to the end user means that there's still de facto ownership. You can still go buy consoles with Scott Pilgrim and PT on them and play them despite those being scrubbed from digital stores.

Stadia is a step farther because you never have the actual game data at your fingertips.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kanos posted:

You technically don't own digital games on consoles, but the way they're delivered to the end user means that there's still de facto ownership. You can still go buy consoles with Scott Pilgrim and PT on them and play them despite those being scrubbed from digital stores.

Stadia is a step farther because you never have the actual game data at your fingertips.
True. Files are downloaded and in some cases even if it's removed shops, traces still remain.
That part is completely gone with Streaming, but that part is inconsequential for companies and thus would not factor into their price setting. Even if it should. :(

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1148576267312259073

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
shoutout to the goons that spent money on this

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol their really lovely and shady marketing tactic of "buy the $150 founder's edition to ensure first chance at your desired username, they're gonna go fast!" worked on one idiot in this thread.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Each new bit of info that comes out solidifies that this thing will be abandoned within a year

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Each new bit of info that comes out solidifies that this thing will be abandoned within a year

Google: You can stream your favorite games on any device.

Also Google: But you need a solid internet connection, have to buy the game on our service, pay a monthly fee on top of buying games, and can only use the newest Pixels to play on your phone!

Google breathes new life into the phrase "with caveat."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I remember when the Switch was announced and so many people were smugly dismissing it because who would want to pay full price for an old game on a new platform with worse performance just because it's more accessible and portable. So since those exact same people are saying the exact same thing about Stadia I have to assume it will be just as big of a flop as the Switch was.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Switch launched with Breath of the Wild as an exclusive

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Also the Switch is incredibly good whereas Stadia looks like incredibly poo poo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Sleeveless posted:

I remember when the Switch was announced and so many people were smugly dismissing it because who would want to pay full price for an old game on a new platform with worse performance just because it's more accessible and portable. So since those exact same people are saying the exact same thing about Stadia I have to assume it will be just as big of a flop as the Switch was.
lol post your founder's edition receipt.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sleeveless posted:

Everything that people have ever dismissed ahead of time has been a smashing success, got it. Now let me go get a glass of fresh juice from my Juicero and fire up some games on the Ouya 3. But not for too long, because I have jump on my Segway and go to the drugstore to get my monthly Theranos wellness check.

Also, what "so many people" are you remembering? I feel like a majority of people were saying that it was what the WiiU should have been all along, and would be great as long as the performance was ok and battery wasn't terrible. Now, the Wii was the thing that people were looking at ahead of time and saying I don't get it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Switch impressions were really only negative after their legendarily terrible live show reveal, and even that ended with a BotW announcement. The vast majority of impressions from the announcement video and everything else were this thing is cool as gently caress.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Klyith posted:

Everything that people have ever dismissed ahead of time has been a smashing success, got it. Now let me go get a glass of fresh juice from my Juicero and fire up some games on the Ouya 3. But not for too long, because I have jump on my Segway and go to the drugstore to get my monthly Theranos wellness check.
Those were lovely companies though. This is Google, makers of Fabric, Trips, Inbox, Google Plus, Allo, Goo.gl, Google Goggles, Google Glass, the Chromebook Pixel, the Nexus Player, Pie.co, Picasa, Freebase, Songza, and Orkut.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Klyith posted:

Everything that people have ever dismissed ahead of time has been a smashing success, got it.

Well, aside from your posting.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sleeveless posted:

Weak troll

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The switch was exactly what people thought it would be, a not stupid WiiU. The only concern was "will it have games to sustain it through the first year" and oh look Breath of the Wild.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I paid for the Founder's Edition, I'm keen to find out how this thing goes from the frontlines!

I've bought stupider things, why stop now.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Sandepande posted:

I paid for the Founder's Edition, I'm keen to find out how this thing goes from the frontlines!

I've bought stupider things, why stop now.

You also got an Xbox One Day One Edition with LocoCycle?

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Iacen posted:

You also got an Xbox One Day One Edition with LocoCycle?

Not familiar with this surely excellent product, but Xbox didn't get interesting until X and Game Pass.

I give Stadia an admittedly generous 50/50 chance of working out, mostly I'm interested in it from a technical viewpoint.

Edit: I get the concerns about ownership, but I've been preconditioned by Netflix (and others) and its fluctuating catalogue (I live in Finland which brings its own fun to the distribution rights) to not really care about owning my entertainment...

Sandepande fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 10, 2019

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

Sandepande posted:

Not familiar with this surely excellent product, but Xbox didn't get interesting until X and Game Pass.

I give Stadia an admittedly generous 50/50 chance of working out, mostly I'm interested in it from a technical viewpoint.

Edit: I get the concerns about ownership, but I've been preconditioned by Netflix (and others) and its fluctuating catalogue (I live in Finland which brings its own fun to the distribution rights) to not really care about owning my entertainment...

Same here, I've got Stadia preordered and it's cheap enough that if it's a flop I'm not out much. I don't currently have a Chromecast and would use that regardless so I wouldn't be out much.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why would you preorder something that is almost certainly DOA?

Why would you preorder anything?

Why are you okay with maybe losing your money for it?

Aaahhhhhhh

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
imo stadia is awesome for certain people. if you use a chromebook as your primary machine, chromecast on your TV, pixel phone, etc. Coincidentally, these people are all Google employees who don't realize what a small minority they are.

anyway I pre-ordered and can't freakin wait to stream 4k gaming on my Pixelbook.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
For those that are preordering, be sure to post your C&Ds from the internet companies when they see you've burned up a terrabit halfway through the month!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

imo stadia is awesome for certain people. if you use a chromebook as your primary machine, chromecast on your TV, pixel phone, etc. Coincidentally, these people are all Google employees who don't realize what a small minority they are.
I bet Stadia rules from inside the campus when you don't have to pay your own money for the game.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

jokes posted:

Why would you preorder something that is almost certainly DOA?

Why would you preorder anything?

Why are you okay with maybe losing your money for it?

Aaahhhhhhh

You don't pay and can cancel anytime before it ships.

As far as the data usage, I realistically don't game enough where this would affect me anyway. If I had time for that much gaming I'd probably get a console instead, but I don't.

I really get why it doesn't make sense for people that game a lot, but to me the tech is interesting enough that I'd like to try it out. I really don't get why people feel so strongly about this one way or the other.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Because we hate the rich

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Switch launched with Breath of the Wild as an exclusive

No it didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU