Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

nothing to seehere posted:

A Stay, you fools! We've already lost an arm when making stupid decisions, do we want to die this time?

Preferably a peg leg so we can swagger about the poopdeck of our ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
A I hope we brought some snacks

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
B) Because it's going to be really boring to read 'you stay cooped up for four hours and eventually someone lets you out.'

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Peztopiary posted:

B) Because it's going to be really boring to read 'you stay cooped up for four hours and eventually someone lets you out.'

There's a non-zero chance that the demo ends up caged in there WITH us :getin:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
+16 in favor of going currently.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Go.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Command Deck, Machina Scientia

You head out the door before it has a chance to seal, leaving behind the certainty of protection that the Adeptus Mechanicus would surround their repository of knowledge. Outside the hallways are a cacophony of light and sound, and you are temporarily dazed and blinded before you slam your helmet on and activate the filters. Like all ships the Machina Scientia had strict protocols to respond to events such as boarders. Unlike most other ships this protocol included thousands of strobes on every deck flashing in a seemingly random pattern. If you were not welcome aboard the ship, and therefore provided with the necessary filter codes to bypass the pattern, you would be disoriented and nauseous within seconds. And then the murder-servitors would come.

“Lead me to where 215-Alpha is located, if I’m going to die it’s going to be with the denizens of Chaos bleeding on my sword.”

Crispy immediately floats away and you follow, Tempest and power sword drawn. +++ Technically the denizens of Chaos do not bleed. The ichor is theorized to be some kind of Warp energy contained within a nonfluid colloidal network. +++

You find yourself thankful for all the time spent in your carapace armor. The light jog is barely taxing, and you’re even able to hold a conversation while doing so. It’s a welcome distraction from the horrors that you are about to face. “How do they even know these things?”

+++ They don’t. It’s a theory. Daemons have the inconvenient tendency to disappear in a pool of ectoplasm after they’ve been dispatched. +++

“So wouldn’t the ichor just be ectoplasm?”

+++ Look, are you a galaxy-renown Magos Biologis with a specialty in the morphology of Daemons? +++

“No, are you?”

+++ No, but the guy who is has terrible security on his notes. +++

You chuckle to yourself and continue on your way. You feel the onset of a headache as you near the breach. Whether the source of the pain is slight flaws within the filter of the photo visor protecting you from the flashing lights or the presence of the raw energy of the Empyrean is beyond your ability to know, but you grit your teeth and mentally will away the pain all the same. The airlock cycles and you find yourself amidst pure horror.

Murder-servitors launch themselves at formless beings of flesh, eyes, limbs, and teeth, slicing through the beings with blades and power flails. The daemons gibber and laugh incoherently even as their bodies are split apart. The source of their amusement is readily apparent when both pieces continue to fight. Metal and flesh succumb to talons and fangs driven by Warp-fueled muscles, but the murder-servitors continue to battle until their heads are ripped off or there’s nothing left of them.

You fire Tempest and watch with some satisfaction as the golden lance of fire burns through the nearest daemon, but to your horror it simply turns and charges. You fire again and again, then duck at the last moment as razor sharp claws tear through the space above you. You wheel around and lash out with your power sword, your arm fueled by the same fear of death that you had first experienced back on the LasLord’s asteroid months ago. You wish you had spent more time with Rast instead of the Librarium as the daemon deflects your attack and lashes out with a limb that catches you in the chest and sends you sprawling. Before you can move the daemon is upon you, ichor slathering from its mouth as it prepares to devour your body and soul.

The roar of fusion-heated air suddenly fills your ears, and the daemon in front of you explodes into a cloud of wet vapor. You’re thankful once again for the protection of the void-hardened carapace armor as viscera lands on your faceplate and not your face. You turn to see Crispy hovering over you, the ring around his sunken eye socket smoldering.

+++ Digi-melta. +++

“Useful.”

+++ Very. +++

You holster Tempest and draw your plasma pistol, wishing decorum permitted you to carry a meltagun to the Librarium. Clearly you needed something with more power behind it. You aim carefully and fire precise bursts of plasma fire at the parts of the daemons mobile and nearest to you. In the distance you can hear the onslaught continue are more murder-servitors are transferred over in response.

+++ Prosper, the field remains weakened in this region. The denizens of the Warp will be able to penetrate the thin barrier and enter our pocket of real-space unless the emitter is reinforced. Normally this would be done remotely, but something must have happened. +++

“Sabotage?”

+++ Unlikely. Servitors are mindless, and the remainder of the crew is loyal to the Magos Explorator. Interference is more likely. +++

You grit your teeth, unconvinced of Crispy’s argument, and consider your options.

What do you do?

A. Summon the Praetorians. One of them can give you a drat meltagun, and the short-ranged weaponry will be useful at blasting the daemon spawn. Of course this will deplete your already short-staffed bodyguard even more, and even Rast needs sleep at some point.

B. Retreat and regroup. There, you’ve seen the peril and dealt with it as best you can. This is a time to coordinate with the Magos and Rast to produce a combined response as opposed to a rushed and patchwork (if not timely) response from hot-loaded servitors.

C. Keep moving. Time is of the essence, and every second spent waiting is a second that the Warp can intrude upon the ship. Backup will come you need to find the source of this incursion and neutralize it.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Time to go Full Heroic!

C

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
B seems like the most sensible choice.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
C

In for a penny, in for a pound! Discretion may be the better part of valor, but we are a Rogue Trader who is blinded by pride and the thought of future favors we can extract from the Mechanicum after we single-handedly save this ship. Besides, the Emperor favors the bold!

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 26, 2015

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Contain the invasion.
Time to be a hero.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 26, 2015

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

C

In for a penny, in for a pound! Discretion may be the better part of valor, but we are a Rogue Trader who is blinded by pride and the thought of future favors we can extract from the Mechanicum after we single-handedly save this ship. Besides, the Emperor favors the bold!

Yeah, we got Fate Points to burn. What's the worst that could happen? :downsgun:

Edit: This is a vote for C.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Fate points? I've kind of abandoned the game system a long time ago...

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
C drat the torpedoes full speed ahead

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
To be clear, if you do enough stupid stuff Prosper will die.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Where is the emitter-thing? What would it take to just hard reboot it, and would that help?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
B - ALL HANDS ON DECK

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
C

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
B I think we've proven that we're not combat-spec just yet.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

B and C, but let the Praetorians sleep.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
B

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
B

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

poisonpill posted:

Where is the emitter-thing? What would it take to just hard reboot it, and would that help?

You only know what Crispy has told you.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B Seriously guys, we would have lost another arm there if it wasn't for Crispy

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

nothing to seehere posted:

B Seriously guys, we would have lost another arm there if it wasn't for Crispy

Well what do you think we have two for?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
B) Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

B

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
B. Retreat and regroup is the sound choice.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

B. We made our appearance, time to delegate.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Haystack posted:

B. We made our appearance, time to delegate.

Management material right here.

Voting for B

We've scored a kill, let's play as a realistic Rogue Trader by taking credit for other people's work.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
B - We've had some fun, seen some things man was never meant to see, probably gained enough knowledge to get ourselves audited by the inquisition at some point in the future. Time to spread that knowledge around as much as possible.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

goatface posted:

B - We've had some fun, seen some things man was never meant to see, probably gained enough knowledge to get ourselves audited by the inquisition at some point in the future. Time to spread that knowledge around as much as possible.

Yeah!

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You wish you had spent more time with Rast instead of the Librarium as the daemon deflects your attack and lashes out with a limb that catches you in the chest and sends you sprawling. Before you can move the daemon is upon you, ichor slathering from its mouth as it prepares to devour your body and soul.

I'm going to vote for more training montages in the future. We mostly vote to put our character in dangerous situations, I want to have all the best personal gear and training when that happens.

Really cool CYOA.

e: wealthy playboy uses his fortune to become space batman?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Beat a hasty rearward advance.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

poisonpill posted:

Beat a hasty rearward advance.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Brownview posted:

I'm going to vote for more training montages in the future. We mostly vote to put our character in dangerous situations, I want to have all the best personal gear and training when that happens.

Really cool CYOA.

e: wealthy playboy uses his fortune to become space batman?

Family murdered? Check

Multiple enemies with varying themes? Check

Eccentric cast of supporting allies? Check

Sweet vehicle? Pending

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Outrail posted:

Family murdered? Check

Sweet vehicle? Pending

Capricious disregard for human life and moral decency in pursuit of raw profit?

Check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Outrail posted:

Family murdered? Check

Sweet vehicle? Pending

Wealth beyond the dreams of mortal men? Still pending.

A. Resources are meant to be consumed.

sullat fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 27, 2015

• Locked thread