Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Heavy melee is the best thing. Ever since ME1's Kaiden biotic kicked someone so hard that they died, I've always wanted to play a cinematic style biotic.

Jack is a vanguard right guys?

Jack is Death. I think she's beyond even Vanguard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

SirPhoebos posted:

Hey, I got a question regarding ME1: How is it that Anderson knew that the Saren in Shepard's report is the same as the spectre Saren. Granted he knew that Nihilus was familiar with Saren, but it could still have been someone different. It seems rather reckless to go leveling treason accusation unless you know for sure yourself that it's the same guy. I mean, imagine the egg on everyone's faces if instead of going into villain monologue mode, Saren's response was "Goddamnit, this is the 3rd time this cycle! I'm not the only Saren in the galaxy!"

but how many Turian Specters named Saren are there?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Haruharuharuko posted:

but how many Turian Specters named Saren are there?

The smuggler who gave the story to Shepard didn't indicate that Saren was also a Spectre though. I just replayed that part, which is why I'm asking

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

SirPhoebos posted:

The smuggler who gave the story to Shepard didn't indicate that Saren was also a Spectre though. I just replayed that part, which is why I'm asking

You mean the smuggler at the docks who says something like "He walked up to him they acted like they knew each other. then shot him." You can chalk it up to game logic but doesn't shep see Saren on Eden Prime at one point its been a while but I seem to remember that.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

How many turians could there possibly be on a human colony being attacked by the geth?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Haruharuharuko posted:

You mean the smuggler at the docks who says something like "He walked up to him they acted like they knew each other. then shot him." You can chalk it up to game logic but doesn't shep see Saren on Eden Prime at one point its been a while but I seem to remember that.

Nope. Saren's long gone by the time Shep reaches the beacon. Also, it wasn't a smuggler, just a lazy dock-worker who was taking a nap.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Haruharuharuko posted:

Saren and Shepard don't have any contact on Eden on Eden Prime. There's two cut scenes with Saren on Eden Prime: The one he shoots Nihilus in, and the one where he orders the Geth to blow up the colony and then uses the Beacon. Neither of which were seen by Shepard.

^^Beaten^^

Again, based on the smuggler's description, Anderson probably could have concluded that it's possible or even likely that it's the same Saren he's thinking of. But it's not certainty, which is what would be needed to go after Saren in the first place (which is different from the proof the council needed: Anderson has to be sure he's right to level the accusation he did.)

Phylodox posted:

Nope. Saren's long gone by the time Shep reaches the beacon. Also, it wasn't a smuggler, just a lazy dock-worker who was taking a nap.

If you poke around, you find out he's a smuggler, and can even shake him down for a grenade mod.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 18, 2012

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
They put a LOT of work into making the Citadel feel really vibrant, this time around. From all the side conversations you can overhead, all the little fuckin' "Go scan some shitball planet for X knick-knack" quests you can get, and a surprising amount of actual missions right on the Citadel, as well as the random "Find some pickup during a mission, bring it back to the Citadel and find someone who needs it" missions, I really like the place.

And I keep finding character moments with the Crew. Just found Garrus, Joker, EDI, Jack, Jacob, Ashley and Liara, all in one go of wandering the Citadel randomly. And the scene of Shepard telling Liara she's all into her was pretty :3:.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

Ambiguatron posted:

Did your game bug out and make Allers disappear?

That's not a bug. It's a feature.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
It's too bad they all end up maimed and piled up in bleeding mounds to await being thrown into a giant woodchipper for baby Reaper chow. They probably just toss the aliens out the airlock, though, since they specifically want humans for the new Reaper they're making.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

SirPhoebos posted:

Hey, I got a question regarding ME1: How is it that Anderson knew that the Saren in Shepard's report is the same as the spectre Saren. Granted he knew that Nihilus was familiar with Saren, but it could still have been someone different. It seems rather reckless to go leveling treason accusation unless you know for sure yourself that it's the same guy. I mean, imagine the egg on everyone's faces if instead of going into villain monologue mode, Saren's response was "Goddamnit, this is the 3rd time this cycle! I'm not the only Saren in the galaxy!"

Minor spoiler, but Anderson worked with Saren before and is familiar with how...unconcerned Saren is about collateral damage, so accusing him of attacking a colony probably didn't come hard for him.

Now how they knew it was Saren on Eden Prime...that I forget, offhandedly. I believe they just had circumstantial evidence, which is why the council laughs it off, but given his history Anderson finds it far more credible.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

OAquinas posted:

Minor spoiler, but Anderson worked with Saren before and is familiar with how...unconcerned Saren is about collateral damage, so accusing him of attacking a colony probably didn't come hard for him.

Now how they knew it was Saren on Eden Prime...that I forget, offhandedly. I believe they just had circumstantial evidence, which is why the council laughs it off, but given his history Anderson finds it far more credible.

All they had going in was the testimony of that one guy which the Council dismisses, until they get Tali's recording later.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've locked Liara in as my love interest, I think. I had a conversation with her on the Citadel about how I only want her in my life, yadda yadda. For clarification, I'm playing a female Shepard.

I went up to my quarters to poke around, and the intercom has an "Invite James" icon on it. Why is that there? I do hope that the game doesn't think I want anything from Vega aside from his ability to shoot dudes in the loving face.

Edit: James was complaining about something earlier. This must be it.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Hentai Tentacle Demon posted:

Even on insanity you only have to shoot her like 3 times with a pistol before the cut scene triggers, not sure what you are doing. Just use whatever gun is in your hands when the scene starts. In my game it forces a pistol into my hands instead of the AR I was using. You don't actually kill her health bar, it just takes like 2-3 bars off and the cut scene kicks in. Again, try shooting her in the head instead of her body. Every time I've done that part 2-3 shots in the head drops her on insanity.
This is what I'm doing. I made a video, so you can share my pain. Also this is on Casual.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Man I don't know. Any chance you could find an earlier save prior to a time you pick up a weapon so you can change your loadout to a conventional pistol? That's what I'd try doing.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to restart the whole Mars mission. :smith:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

rotinaj posted:

I've locked Liara in as my love interest, I think. I had a conversation with her on the Citadel about how I only want her in my life, yadda yadda. For clarification, I'm playing a female Shepard.

I went up to my quarters to poke around, and the intercom has an "Invite James" icon on it. Why is that there? I do hope that the game doesn't think I want anything from Vega aside from his ability to shoot dudes in the loving face.

Edit: James was complaining about something earlier. This must be it.

You invite a couple of people up to your quarters over the course of the game, it's just for private conversations, nothing suss.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

OAquinas posted:

It still seems like a massive risk for Anderson to level that accusation unless he knew for certain (by his own judgment, not the council's) he was right.

And if he was that quick to jump to the conclusion that it had to be that Saren, shouldn't Udina have known better before bringing it before the council?

Oh, wait, it's Udina we're talking about, never mind. :v:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Udina and Anderson rushed into the accusation because they were scrambling to make the best out of a horrible situation.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

nixar55 posted:

God, Kaiden is such a tool. Does anyone ever pick the human LI? They're usually so boring. Except for Miranda, I guess.

You're a bad person. :mad:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
God drat it, Shepard. I don't care how bad a mood you are in! If EDI offers to sing La Marseillaise for you, you say yes!

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

rotinaj posted:

They put a LOT of work into making the Citadel feel really vibrant, this time around. From all the side conversations you can overhead, all the little fuckin' "Go scan some shitball planet for X knick-knack" quests you can get, and a surprising amount of actual missions right on the Citadel, as well as the random "Find some pickup during a mission, bring it back to the Citadel and find someone who needs it" missions, I really like the place.

And I keep finding character moments with the Crew. Just found Garrus, Joker, EDI, Jack, Jacob, Ashley and Liara, all in one go of wandering the Citadel randomly. And the scene of Shepard telling Liara she's all into her was pretty :3:.

Actually the same applies to the Normandy as well, it overall just feels a lot more alive and dynamic. Frankly, this is how all party based RPGs should do crew/party interaction from now on. Dragon Age did this well, but ME3 just made it even better and at least appear more natural and fluid.

Also, am I the only one who finds it hilarious that all the help Shepard gives on the Citadel comes from her eavesdropping on people? Shepard: saving the galaxy through listening in on and butting into random private conversations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Viperix posted:

Actually the same applies to the Normandy as well, it overall just feels a lot more alive and dynamic. Frankly, this is how all party based RPGs should do crew/party interaction from now on. Dragon Age did this well, but ME3 just made it even better and at least appear more natural and fluid.

I just found Garrus and Vega having a pissing contest over who has had the more interesting combat career. It was funny. I hope I find more of this poo poo happening.

Viperix posted:

Also, am I the only one who finds it hilarious that all the help Shepard gives on the Citadel comes from her eavesdropping on people? Shepard: saving the galaxy through listening in on and butting into random private conversations.

I feel like a lot of the reactions I've been getting have been appropriate. Shepard just walks up, listens to them bitch about Turian poisons or some holy relic of their people and is like "YO I FOUND THAT, GO TO MY SHIP AND PICK IT UP"

"Uh... What? Oh... Oh my god! Thank you!"

The moment of utter confusion always amuses me.

Is Shockwave worth a gently caress? I never use it except in that one mission where you first met the Reaper Rachni. I used it to blow up the pods without wasting ammo.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I just found Garrus and Vega having a pissing contest over who has had the more interesting combat career. It was funny. I hope I find more of this poo poo happening.

If you have Javik he has a great conversation with Vega you can overhear.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

nixar55 posted:

Knowing that all the endings apparently sucked made the final choice pretty easy for me. Because I didn't care. I got... an ending. Not happy, but I enjoyed the rest of the game.

I agonized more over which LI to lock in. I felt like the game really wanted FemShep to be with Kaiden (if he lived) in the beginning. But I stuck to my ME2 choice of Garrus and was really pleased with the romantic exchanges. They were really sweet.

God, Kaiden is such a tool. Does anyone ever pick the human LI? They're usually so boring. Except for Miranda, I guess.

I was pleasantly surprised by Vega and Javik was worth the $10 for his crew interactions alone.

I chose Cortez, which made the ending really funny in my game, since Joker, Cortez and James stepped out of the Normandy to ... start a new tribe of people all by themselves? :getin: As I mentioned in the spoiler thread, this is weird because James was on the last suicide mission with me, and Cortez was shot down in London, so it makes no sense that they're on the Normandy somehow. Also, this would be the second time in a row Cortez loses an LI in a pretty short time, but I guess James can be his next fling.

Cortez was pretty boring though. I think Kaidan is the better lay for a male Shep but you kind of get shafted in your reward of awkward, uncanny-valley polygon smooching since the gay Kaidan scene is identical to the straight scene but with one of the scenes cut. Then again it would look pretty strange to have Kaidan carry male Shep around the way he does with femshep, so maybe that's for the best.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

rotinaj posted:

It happens all the time, it's great. I've found Garrus and a random crewman in the lounge shooting the poo poo, Javik telling Vega a joke in the kitchen, Garrus and Joker trading racist jokes on the bridge, all sorts of great stuff. I really love how everybody's always moving around.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

If you have Javik he has a great conversation with Vega you can overhear.

Very late game spoilers:

Drunk Tali calls down to Javik's room and has a funny conversation as well.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

nixar55 posted:

I agonized more over which LI to lock in. I felt like the game really wanted FemShep to be with Kaiden (if he lived) in the beginning. But I stuck to my ME2 choice of Garrus and was really pleased with the romantic exchanges. They were really sweet.

Did they spend missions flirting/bantering with eachother? Because I nearly lost it when my MShep and Tali spent nearly half of one of the Geth missions openly flirting with the other. I only wish I brought Garrus with me to call them out on it.

I brought EDI.

The stunned silence was perfect, as if they were saying "Oh, poo poo.. um....mission first...yeah.." and not completely focusing on the other for more than five seconds between missions. It was adorable in all the best ways.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

PunkBoy posted:

Very late game spoilers:

Drunk Tali calls down to Javik's room and has a funny conversation as well.
Seriously? I haven't seen that yet, how late in the game? Vega got Ashley shitfaced drunk and I caught her in her cabin babbling nonsense and proclaiming her love for the nice cold floor, that was hilarious.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Ambiguatron posted:

It's too bad they all end up maimed and piled up in bleeding mounds to await being thrown into a giant woodchipper for baby Reaper chow. They probably just toss the aliens out the airlock, though, since they specifically want humans for the new Reaper they're making.

No, I don't think so They could turn the turians and batarians into reaper monsters. Some of the asari maybe too? Truth be told they probably huskafy a good portion of the humans too since reapers need people with specific dna. Dunno what they'll do with salarians, volus and elcor, guess they get thrown out the airlock or melted into goo for a destroyer?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there a better weapon in the game than the Black Widow? I played the entire game as an Infiltrator on Normal difficulty, and I barely had to switch away from it at all except for husks and swarmers. Three headshots (and is there another kind?) can kill a Harvester, two if you have the damage bonus from sniping while cloaked. I really wanted to test some of the other weapons, but honestly, why bother?

quote:

Did they spend missions flirting/bantering with eachother? Because I nearly lost it when my MShep and Tali spent nearly half of one of the Geth missions openly flirting with the other. I only wish I brought Garrus with me to call them out on it.

I brought EDI.

The stunned silence was perfect, as if they were saying "Oh, poo poo.. um....mission first...yeah.." and not completely focusing on the other for more than five seconds between missions. It was adorable in all the best ways.

Mmm. For my first playthrough of ME3, I went back to my veeery first LI from my very first playthrough of ME1...Liara. Gotta say, her romance was consistently terrible. And barely acknowledged at all. Which was probably for the best.

I'll bet the ME2 relationships that persist into ME3 are better, although not being able to really continue on with Jack/Miranda/Jacob/Thane is a huge downer.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Vengarr posted:

Is there a better weapon in the game than the Black Widow? I played the entire game as an Infiltrator on Normal difficulty, and I barely had to switch away from it at all except for husks and swarmers. Three headshots (and is there another kind?) can kill a Harvester, two if you have the damage bonus from sniping while cloaked. I really wanted to test some of the other weapons, but honestly, why bother?
You can use the Raptor once in a while to switch up your playstyle, or the Javelin to have fun shooting people behind walls; both are very enjoyable. But overall, yeah, the Black Widow is probably the best; which makes sense since you have to pay through the nose for it.

SirPhoebos posted:

This is a fictional story - no two important characters will ever share the same name.

Viperix posted:

I find it more hilarious that like half of those quests are "recover the ancient artifact with mythical properties that my people lost a long time ago". You know, the kind of quest that's been the bread and butter of dungeon crawl RPGs for three decades; and you solve it by firing a freaking probe, often on their home planet. I imagine every time Shepard delivers one of those there's a little note attached saying "WAS THAT SO loving HARD?".

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 18, 2012

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Seriously? I haven't seen that yet, how late in the game? Vega got Ashley shitfaced drunk and I caught her in her cabin babbling nonsense and proclaiming her love for the nice cold floor, that was hilarious.

It's after the second to last mission.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vengarr posted:

I did try a different weapon. It was some kind of alien sniper rifle. It was loving horrible because it had this split-second "charge up" before it fired. Plus the aiming reticle was ugly as poo poo.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NihilCredo posted:

I find it more hilarious that like half of those quests are "recover the ancient artifact with mythical properties that my people lost a long time ago". You know, the kind of quest that's been the bread and butter of dungeon crawl RPGs for three decades; and you solve it by firing a freaking probe, often on their home planet. I imagine every time Shepard delivers one of those there's a little note attached saying "WAS THAT SO loving HARD?".

I find it even more hilarious that you end up giving these priceless artifacts to random strangers. It'd be like giving a random American the original copy of the United States Constitution because you heard him saying how important it was for his country. :911:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

NihilCredo posted:

This is a fictional story - no two important characters will ever share the same name.
David Anderson, David Archer. There have also been two Gavins and four Jacobs.:colbert:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Beefstew posted:

David Anderson, David Archer. There have also been two Gavins and four Jacobs.:colbert:
I said important. One doesn't even show up if you don't have one of the worse DLCs. And I have zero idea of whom the other Gavin and the other three Jacobs may be.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised there hasn't been any Lukes, Leias, or Hans.

Are either of the iOS games for ME3 worth using? Do they pump your Combat Readiness scores that much higher?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

NihilCredo posted:

I said important. One doesn't even show up if you don't have one of the worse DLCs. And I have zero idea of whom the other Gavin and the other three Jacobs may be.

There was Gavin Hossle, the guy on Feros who asks you to retrieve data from his terminal in the ExoGeni building. I don't know who the other Jacobs are either.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

rotinaj posted:

Are either of the iOS games for ME3 worth using? Do they pump your Combat Readiness scores that much higher?
The Datapad app is worth using. The extra mails you get are cute and it's a really easy Readiness boost. 2% every 6 hours to start, and it takes like two days to get that up to 4% every 6.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
God damnit. I just fought the lame assassin and trashed the Citadel, and would you look at that a big stack of my side missions that I was working on completing were taken out from underneath my feet. It's bad enough that they changed the journal so that you only get a piddly sentence or two to go on for each little side mission. Did I miss some kind of warning there or were other people caught with their pants down? I just thought I was visiting the Citadel again to have a chat. Then bam, sidequests gone.

I'm guessing someone has already ranted about this, but I needed to vent somewhere. I'm trying to stay spoiler free and I've succeeded thus far. Also I can't be the only person who hates the N7 missions that take place on multiplayer maps. It's just so obvious that they aren't designed for singleplayer.

EDIT: Oh look there is even a note about my rant at the beginning of the OP. And what is this about needing to play multiplayer to get the "best" ending? I thought they said that wasn't going to happen. :colbert:

reagan fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't been any Lukes, Leias, or Hans.

Han Olar, the crazed Volus with surivor's guilt on Noveria.

• Locked thread