Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Is there a way to rob a bank in this game that doesn't involve a one-time story mission. I'm pretty sure the answer is no and I don't mind if that's the case, but it'd sure be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Just had two great random encounters in Saint Denis. One was two guys on the outskirts of town that blew themselves up with dynamite trying to get a safe open. Easiest forty bucks I've ever made. The other was a bar owner basically paying me to be Charlie and clear out all the rats in his saloon. I used small game arrows and got all the perfect rat carcasses I could ever want and/or need.

e: I was wrong because I could only carry 5 rat carcasses with me and the trapper needs ten for the rat hat.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 6, 2018

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Why the gently caress does Arthur keep putting his back and shoulder gun away after like 20seconds on horseback? It's real dumb to have to go into weapon wheel twice when getting off the horse if I dont want to be unarmed when getting into any sort of scrap

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Isn't there meant to be a bonus bank mission with preorders or something?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Why don't you help around the camp more often?"

Okay, fine. I'll take this bucket to the lake and-

*Hurls bucket to ground at proximity to Dutch for exposition*

Ah, Dutch. Not even the most mundane of tasks are safe from you demanding I am a naughty boy.

Fedule posted:

Let's all give a big hand to the genius who decided to put a proximity-based trigger for Ch4's big point-of-no-return mission right on the shortest path between Arthur's bed and the camp exit.

I just wanted to go into town to bling out my Mauser.

I'm not there yet, but there is zero shame in referring to those guide flowcharts posted for a reason.

Spiteski posted:

Why the gently caress does Arthur keep putting his back and shoulder gun away after like 20seconds on horseback? It's real dumb to have to go into weapon wheel twice when getting off the horse if I dont want to be unarmed when getting into any sort of scrap
"Just keep your weapon out at all times if you don't like it :rolleyes:"

WHOA! I just got a psychic premonition of what your next piece of advice shall be.

"Don't keep your weapon out at all times if you don't want NPCs to trigger bounties :rolleyes:"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
well, got to blackwater as john. I liked the main champain a bunch and i loved how dutch was basicaly Jim jones and you slowl saw his true face more and more. I though guarma was too long and too short and honestly the story felt a little too long for its own good at times.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

JBP posted:

Isn't there meant to be a bonus bank mission with preorders or something?

I've also been wondering this, but lol if rockstar rinsed half their fans for an extra $20 for gently caress all

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Even after Arthur puts his guns away, he still automatically grabs the same guns when he dismounts. Unless you're in a mission, then it keeps equipping a bunch of random bullshit you've never even fired before. Unless it's a mission that doesn't do that.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

ThomasPaine posted:

Iirc all the loan shark missions are optional?
You recall incorrectly. The early ones are all mandatory - I'm looking at the Chapter 2 guide right now. Of course there is no way to avoid the one you are talking about, because that would require a completely separate story arc.

Edit: in fact, I tried to avoid doing the quest at all, and when you go to start the letter from Mary Linton, Strauss came over and interrupted me and put me in the mission without a choice .

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 6, 2018

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Even after Arthur puts his guns away, he still automatically grabs the same guns when he dismounts. Unless you're in a mission, then it keeps equipping a bunch of random bullshit you've never even fired before. Unless it's a mission that doesn't do that.

This doesn't reliably happen. Half the time I only have one of the two long guns after hopping off

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I cut down on annoyance by using nothing but the double barrel shotgun, schofields and tomahawks.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Fedule posted:

Let's all give a big hand to the genius who decided to put a proximity-based trigger for Ch4's big point-of-no-return mission right on the shortest path between Arthur's bed and the camp exit.

I just wanted to go into town to bling out my Mauser.

I thought the Mauser unlocks in chapter 5?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

TescoBag posted:

6, technically, but Bronte drops one during the previous mandatory plot mission. You can grab and keep and customise it (but still can't buy a secondary).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TescoBag posted:

Probably not related, but.

Good news! One of the Gunslingers has a unique Mauser to loot.

Bad news! You can't customize unique weapons.

Good news! The gunslinger Mauser comes pre-blinged with gold plate.

It is the one gun I'd be super mad about having the game erase from your inventory. I'd be regular mad about losing another unique revolver I've heard about but have yet to get.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 6, 2018

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Why can I strafe with my horse by holding square (ps4)? I feel like I am a rodeo rider.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

Why can I strafe with my horse by holding square (ps4)? I feel like I am a rodeo rider.

Level 4 bonding.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I'm in chapter 4/Saint Denis right now and uhh (stranger encounter spoiler) I'm pretty sure I met the gang of kids that robbed me initially (or another gang of kids). They mouthed off, I antagonize back and they go running. I chase after, get jumped by more of em with guns - and I was allowed to shoot back. I guess it was self defense but it's still pretty ballsy of Rockstar to let me kill kids, holy gently caress. Also WOO FIRE LADY

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

turns out if you antagonize the guy trying to pull a thorn out of his horse's hoof he doesn't get his head kicked to death

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
God I'm aggressively bad at this. Riding around and four bandit dudes come out of nowhere. I managed to get out my rifle and shoot one in the head, pop another in the chest, then I die. :downsgun:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I've also been wondering this, but lol if rockstar rinsed half their fans for an extra $20 for gently caress all

The bonus bank robbery mission from the special edition pops up in camp during chapter 4.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just got WANTED: move along while two rear end in a top hat cops followed me going yeah just keep walking I'm the law here and I kept antagonizing them then moving away slowly lol.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Go to any weapons dealer and you can set your default gun in all 4 spots.

Now whenever he grabs for any 'random bullshit' it'll be *your* bullshit.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Zaa Boogie posted:

Go to any weapons dealer and you can set your default gun in all 4 spots.

Now whenever he grabs for any 'random bullshit' it'll be *your* bullshit.

I've done this and it still doesn't do it. I've set a repeater/shotgun/dual pistols and it only ever seems to remember the pistols, which I never use so

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Maybe I’m a dipshit, but aside from St Denis what are some of the locations based off of? Especially that Van Horn-Annesburg area, I can’t place what it’s real world analogue is supposed to be

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kalsco posted:

I've done this and it still doesn't do it. I've set a repeater/shotgun/dual pistols and it only ever seems to remember the pistols, which I never use so

The game loves to change / reset your default loadout for missions(or no reason at all besides gently caress you).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Maybe I’m a dipshit, but aside from St Denis what are some of the locations based off of? Especially that Van Horn-Annesburg area, I can’t place what it’s real world analogue is supposed to be

Presumably Annesburg and surround are Kentucky/Virginia.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Ugh what the gently caress who wrote this game, George RR Martin?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Fedule posted:

6, technically, but Bronte drops one during the previous mandatory plot mission. You can grab and keep and customise it (but still can't buy a secondary).

I'm at a bit of an impass. I've heard people prefer to stay at like, chapter 3 and do all their exploration then etc due to plot stuff.

I want to get a mauser, but everyone says it's better to stay in the earlier chapters because it's more fun etc to explore or something?

Can someone PM me why people are saying the earlier chapters are better for exploration etc? And I'm not talking about the big endgame spoiler.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

uncle w benefits posted:

Ugh what the gently caress who wrote this game, George RR Martin?

I'm sure many more are going to die, but Kieran hit me pretty hard. I never liked Sean but I liked Arthur's begrudging acceptance of Kieran and I liked the character arc they set up for him. And then it got cut short, just like him.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Looks like they released a statement about the big chapter 2 bug

R* posted:

Thank you for contacting Rockstar Support,

We understand your concern regarding the missing storyline characters in Red Dead Redemption 2 Story Mode. Please be informed that, if the missions "Polite Society" and "Valentine Style" are failed, restart the mission instead of using the "Retry Checkpoint" option. If you have already completed the mission after using the "Retry Checkpoint" option, they will not be present until the start of Chapter 4. We hope you understand.

no gently caress you

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

JBP posted:

Presumably Annesburg and surround are Kentucky/Virginia.

I know it’s supposed to be a mishmash of various things but aside from obviously Montana and obviously New Orleans my brain just breaks, because everything’s definitely based off of somewhere, I just don’t get it. More people can enlighten me though.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I've been avoiding this thread to experience everything fresh, but quick question: Does the game tell you anywhere what weapons to use to get perfect skins or what bait to use on certain fish? Like a book you can buy or anything?

Took me forever to realize I needed the varmint rifle, not the bow, for rabbits, even if kind of obvious in retrospect. IDK if I want to trial and error each kind of animal and might look up a guide.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

ultrachrist posted:

I've been avoiding this thread to experience everything fresh, but quick question: Does the game tell you anywhere what weapons to use to get perfect skins or what bait to use on certain fish? Like a book you can buy or anything?

Took me forever to realize I needed the varmint rifle, not the bow, for rabbits, even if kind of obvious in retrospect. IDK if I want to trial and error each kind of animal and might look up a guide.
It's in the compendium.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Extortionist posted:

It's in the compendium.

Neat, thanks.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

ultrachrist posted:

When you target an animal for the first time you can study it by holding R1. If you tap R1 while targeting an animal you've already studied, it pops up a tip saying which weapon is preferred.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Reign Of Pain posted:

Looks like they released a statement about the big chapter 2 bug

no gently caress you

Lmao

We understand what is causing the bug but we’re not gonna patch it. We hope you understand.

10/10

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

ultrachrist posted:

The compendium tells you, but the requirements aren't actually as specific as they may make it sound.

Medium/Big Animal- Use a Rifle(entries saying to use a long scope are just a recommendation not a requirement) or Shotgun that's loaded with Slugs. Small Animals - Use the Varmint Rifle or the Bow loaded with Small Game Arrows.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Alright, so based on the feedback in this thread (and the accidental confirmation of a spoiler I had admittedly already suspected), I think I'm going to keep a save where I'm at now in Chapter 4 and use that for post-game shenanigans.

Although, are there any stranger missions, etc. that only show up after Chapter 4, or is everything pretty much on the table at that point? I know there's at least one home robbery location that can't be accessed until Chapter 6, but that kind of stuff doesn't bother me as much. Will I be able to explore the New Austin/Blackwater area in peace, or will it always be a danger zone?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Had a random encounter with a dude from New York City. Is it not called Liberty City in the RDR universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Starks posted:

Lmao

We understand what is causing the bug but we’re not gonna patch it. We hope you understand.

10/10
Did they ever get around to fixing the bug that broke Undead Nightmare for pretty much everyone? Zombies turning into invisible, unkillable bandits with guns, making the missions impossible to complete.

That bug was introduced in the last big title update four years ago, and Rockstar has known about it for all that time but anytime someone asked support about it, they'd just go "yeah restart your system or whatever, who cares." I have seen some recent footage of Undead Nightmare being played on the Xbone X and didn't see any problems there, but maybe those players were just getting lucky and the bug didn't trigger for them.