Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

amigolupus posted:

So if we have clown machines, zombie machines and cowboy machines, when will 2B and 9S face off against ninja machines and pirate machines?

"Yo ho ho and a bottle of Grun" :pirate:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

amigolupus posted:

So if we have clown machines, zombie machines and cowboy machines, when will 2B and 9S face off against ninja machines and pirate machines?

DLC probably :v:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

amigolupus posted:

ninja machines

Have you all forgotten about Father Servo already? :colbert:

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Have you all forgotten about Father Servo already? :colbert:

He's a monk machine. :c00lbutt:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The ninja machines and pirate machines are fighting a vicious civil war out in the ocean based on some old human texts.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So I may have overshopped for Harvey and now possess eight cans of mackerel. Is there anything I can do with these aside from waiting several thousand years to potentially kill an android? (Preferably without opening them, would rather not add strong fish smells to the four days of soaked carpets no AC no plumbing stank right at the moment...)

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.

SpookyLizard posted:

The ninja machines and pirate machines are fighting a vicious civil war out in the ocean based on some old human texts.

Wasn't there a Drakengard weapon story where a monk went off to clobber some pirates with a mace?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode LXXIX: Reclusive

Music: Pascal (Vocal)

As reasonable a response it would likely be to raze the entire Machine Village to the ground as a couple of war machine androids came upon it, that’s counter-productive to proceeding in the game’s narrative. So let’s try that again...

What do you mean *YOU* androids? What? You think all androids know each other or something, machine?
Do you know Anemone and the androids in the camp within the nearby City Ruins.
Well, yeah...
Would... local androids be better phrasing? I didn't mean to upset you.
Well, I mean...
Just drop it and let him speak.
Tch. Fiiiiiine.
I was wondering if you could drop this off with Anemone.
What is it? Some kinda listening device? A bomb? 2B, I think this machine is giving us a bomb!
It’s not a bomb. It’s a fuel filter. A fuel filter she requested. If it would put you at ease, I could contact her right now and confirm. I have her transmission number on speed dial.
All right. We’ll take it.
Thank you.
But, 2B. I don’t think you should carry that thing around. Who knows if i—
I’m not. You are. Shut up and take it.
...Fine. But I’ve got my eye on you.
Do you? It’s hard to tell with the blindfold and all.
Yeah... well. Tch.
Let's go.
Right...

OK. We still need to go through the song and dance of returning to the Resistance Camp for a Fed Ex quest before we can progress. Don’t worry, we’ll be neck deep in new content soon enough. And by new content I mean like all of 9S’s sidequests get dumped around the same time fast travel unlocks. So that’ll be fun.

Music: Rays of Light (Quiet)

This go around, 9S has to shove all of the large, bizarre gear boxes sheltering shortcuts while 2B hangs back and watches. As soon as we open the shortcut back to the City Ruins, 9S receives a call...

I have something important to discuss with you today.
What is it?
Our maintenance team filed a complaint about how you treat your flight unit. They requested that you cease making unauthorized modifications.
Well, I kind of had to. There’s so much excess data sent to me from the satellite, it’s delaying aim correction.
If you have a rebuttal, you need to discuss it with maintenance. Fight it out if you must. Operator 21O out. <disconnects>
Geez. My operator is more prone to violence than I thought.

It’s going to be revealed that kamikaze stunt on Boku-Shi towards the end of the previous playthrough was actually a final “gently caress you!” to the YoRHa maintenance staff, isn’t it? Anyway, let’s head back into the camp for some resupply and equipment update. And fulfilling Pascal’s request. I suppose we can squeeze that in too.

Music: Peaceful Sleep (Vocal)

Our first order of business involves the Access Point in the Resistance Camp. We’ve seen this thing and the crates next to it with the terribly low-resolution textures in full view up close any time the player loads this area.

But what you didn’t know is behind those 24x24 compressed jpegs stretched over a basic crate model is another locked chest 9S can access. This time for a shiny new Combat Bracer weapon!

The Type-4O Fists Combat Bracers are a neat looking weapon with upgrades that grant it Stun Up (increased stagger damage, kinda useless for 9S.) At max level it gains Energy Charge. This charges the gloves with electricity if they’re equipped and not used for a few seconds. Which is far more something suited to 9S’s fighting style than 2B’s always be attacking method of combat.

Type-4O Fists posted:

> System YoRHa
> Unit Data Uploading...
> Checkout H.C.

> Close I.O.
> Duplicate Core
> Find YoRHa unit

> Updating Data...
> Checking Data
> Purge Conversation Log

> Purge Unit Data
> Purge System Data
> Exit

...All right then. Get back to me when you load weaponhistory.txt properly, eh?

While we’re in the neighborhood, we’re going to stop by the Maintenance Shop for a couple upgrades.

Of chief importance, we’ve actually got enough materials to upgrade one of our Pods. Specifically, Pod B and its Ghostbusters laser. This upgrade grants marginally higher attack power and more importantly, much greater range of attack on the laser... whip beam thingie of Pod B. This can be used to make the shmup segments very silly by basically having the flight unit spin in place twirling a giant wiggly tube that while annihilate most all common flyer enemies.

If any of these upgrades happens like once more in the entirety of the LP, I’ll be surprised. I got exactly zero upgrades without grinding the first time I played through the game up until I had gotten all but the very last endings. I’m not doing that again. The laser gets slightly longer and stronger. Gatling shoots a single explosive shot the first time it’s fired. Missiles I’ll be hosed if I know because they are worthless. It’s probably more missiles.

Also while we’re here, we may as well continue our depletion of the Maintenance Shop’s Pod Programs by scraping the bottom of the barrel. Today we’ll pick up A060: Protective Shield.

As the name suggests, the P. Shield creates a shield around our android of choice. This shield only blocks melee/physical attacks. Energy orbs or laser blasts will sail right through. But it will block just about every physical attack for... a whole three seconds. With a 15 second cooldown (omitting any plug-in chip augmentations to shorten that time.) Which uhh... ain’t a great investment on either end.

Charging this Pod Program up to Level 3 makes it last for 6 whole seconds with a 25 second cooldown. I guess that’s technically a better investment of coverage versus cooldown time... Technically. This P. Shield might be useful on harder difficulties in which most everything nearly or will one shot 9S or 2B. But otherwise, this game gives us a dodge that can be spammed non-stop with no cooldown and is lousy with i-frames.

I’ve never felt the need to use this thing ever while playing on the sane difficulty setting. Nor will I ever use it again for this LP. But hey, there it is for completion sake! With that demonstration out of the way, let’s go hit up Anemone.

...A fuel filter? Ah, perfect timing—we were running low. Wait, you met Pascal?
Sure did. So you’ve been consorting with machines, huh?
Just the ones in the village. They’re totally harmless, and they also have the means to construct intricate devices that we can’t. In exchange, we provide them with oil and other materials. I guess you’d call it a form of commerce.
I see...
It’s an arrangement we’d very much like to continue. It would be very unfortunate if some kind of blindfold wearing narc strolled into camp and tried to ruin it. It’s a dangerous place out there for androids, as you should well know. It’d be a shame to see an upstanding android like yourself end up dissolving in a barrel of acid down a pit somewhere at the edge of town, now wouldn’t it?
Y-Yeah...
I’m glad we understand each other. Take this high-viscosity oil back to Pascal if you know what’s good for you, kid.
2B, are you just going to let all of this happen?
<shrug> I don’t see any problems.
Fine. Give it to me.

Before we depart, Anemone also gives us that spare room we’ll never use just as she would if we had come here after our adventures in the Desert Zone. Now just to return to the Machine Village. But first, we receive another contact from Pascal on the way out.

Gah! He just started transmitting to us directly...
You’re still set to a public channel for your burst communication transmissions.
Crud... Really? So you’re not seeing this transmission?
No, I am. I just gave him my comms number.
What?! Why?!
<shrug> He asked nicely.
Now do you believe we’re not a threat?
Your mouth can say anything it wants... But you still don’t have a heart.
I suppose that’s... technically accurate. Although, that statement applies to you as well, so... I cannot say I see your point. Yes, well, you’re free to visit our village whenever you like. <disconnects>

Let’s just go ahead and do take up that invitation right now, eh?

Music: Pascal (Vocal)

Pascal’s Village has now reverted to more or less the state it was normally in Route A. Any sidequests we completed here, like the one with the machine family or the missing little sister are treated as already completed. Also, that pesky Wandering Couple has returned with their predicament reset since that quest was canceled last go around. We’ll attend to that another time. There is one new 9S specific quest in the village we can knock out while we’re here. It’s found in the highest reaches of the village, up a ladder...

What, me?
My son put some kind of electronic lock on our house and holed his fool self inside. I’ve been standing out here for ages, and he’s simply not responding to me at all!
Er, I think what you need is a family counselor. I mean, not that machines have “families” to begin with...
I insist that you help me get this stupid door open! Just break it down and get my son out of there.
<Help the mother.>
All right, all right! Sheesh...

Your mother is worried about you. So how about you unlock the door and come out?
Looks like he’s ignoring me.
Proposal: Destroy the core to open the electronic lock.
That seems to be my only option.

So begins The Recluse sidequest. We need to get this shut-in nerd Son Machine out of his house. He’s probably in there furiously pounding a stick on his crotch because of some ill-conceived notion about what teenagers are meant to do.

As with most 9S specific sidequests, this one only appears in Route B because it requires the utilization of his hacking ability. I’m not going to ask how the Son Machine managed to fasten a padlock to the exterior of his home to lock himself in. Machines are a complicated lot.

In order to unlock this door we need to quickly navigate through a (very basic) maze of destructible black boxes and destroy the core within 30 seconds. Easily done for ace Hackerman 9S.

Oh CHRIST! 9S... My dude... you might have gone a bit overboard with that hacking attempt. I mean, the Son Machine is fine. Its body is made of hardened steel. But what if there was an actual human child in there, 9S? It would be covered in 3rd degree burns right now. Is that what you want to be known for, 9S? 9S the Child Burner? For shame...

Foolish child! I was worried sick about you! Why on earth did you barricade yourself in there!?

The machine drops to its knees and starts shaking.

Now that we’re cut off from the network, I dunno what people are thinking. They’re like... monsters. It’s scary!
Oh, my darling boy. It will be all right. Mommy loves you.

Um... So can I go now, or...
Oh! Yes, of course. Thank you for your help. And take this. I insist. I’ll try to help my son deal with his fears better from now on.

I’d normally be a bit worried if someone handed me a pair of severed arms as a reward for completing a favor. But in this instance, it’d probably behoove 9S to just nod and accept the gift (also they might be high end upgrade materials for later weapon enhancements.)

Thus concludes that short sidequest. Surely, that awkward boy will go on to be an upstanding, outspoken member of this community and definitely not lock himself behind an even stronger lock as soon as we leave. No sir. Don’t be ridiculous.

Anyway, that’s enough detours. Let’s get back to Pascal so we can continue the main plot until traveling becomes semi-convenient again.

Anemone is just so kind and understanding. Did you know she used to be on stage some time ago?
Really?
Oh, it’s not my place to bring up that sort of thing. If only all androids and machines could live together in peace like this...
Never gonna happen.
Not with that attitude. But, if you’d like to stop being so standoffish for no particular reason, I’d appreciate it if you helped some others around town. There’s a little girl machine down below that has been asking for you to explain to her where children come from...
...Wha?
You should probably ask her. After all, the only way to understand someone is to get to know them. Isn’t that right?

We’ve detected a Goliath-class enemy inside the city ruins. It seems to be accompanied by a large number of machine lifeforms. All YoRHa members are ordered to engage at once. However, we’re still in the same place as the earlier situation with no one else in the region responding so... you two should probably get to it! Operator 21O out.

A Goliath!? This WAS a trap! I knew it!
Now, let’s not be—
No good machines! Let’s do the whole village 2B! Let’s do them all!
<sigh> I’ll meet you at the Access Point when you reload your game...

Tune in next time when we hit the fast-forward button on a bunch of previously dramatic events because nothing really new happens during any of them as NieR: Automata continues!

Video: Episode 79 Highlight Reel

Pascal’s Village Concept Art – Using the Bethesda Fallout decorative rusty steel barrel furnishing aesthetic, huh?

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 16, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Dark Id posted:

Pascal’s Village Concept Art – Using the Bethesda Fallout decorate rusty steel barrel furnishing aesthetic, huh?

That's one sticking point I have with the game, is reusing the tired old post-apocalypse look that other games use. The first Nier had people already rebuilding with bricks and mortar again, but this one is all sky scrappers and rusted out, reused materials for buildings. So like, did civilization advance to building skyscrapers again? Or are skyscrapers expected to last for ten thousand years and at least 13 more world wars?

Yeah yeah, it's more about the "aesthetic" they were going for than any actual lore reasons, but still, feel like it's a missed opportunity. Would have loved to see what the machine village would look like if they were able to build stuff on their own instead of just salvaging.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That's one sticking point I have with the game, is reusing the tired old post-apocalypse look that other games use. The first Nier had people already rebuilding with bricks and mortar again, but this one is all sky scrappers and rusted out, reused materials for buildings. So like, did civilization advance to building skyscrapers again? Or are skyscrapers expected to last for ten thousand years and at least 13 more world wars?

Yeah yeah, it's more about the "aesthetic" they were going for than any actual lore reasons, but still, feel like it's a missed opportunity. Would have loved to see what the machine village would look like if they were able to build stuff on their own instead of just salvaging.

I don't know. A war going on for longer then human history is a perfectly good reason for everything to be reduced to rubble.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

quote:

Gatling shoots a single explosive shot the first time it’s fired. Missiles I’ll be hosed if I know because they are worthless. It’s probably more missiles.

The Gatling Pod upgrade makes the first shot do extra damage(and you can tap it to rapid fire them) and also lets the pod "charge" up to 3(?) explosive shots which are fired when you let go of the button(so they don't work with the tap strategy).
The Missile Pod upgrade lets the pod charge a explosive mortar attack around yourself(charge rate seems to be one round of mortars for every missile barrage).

Also worth noting that upgrading the pods also increases the damage of the programs equipped on them.

quote:

Charging this Pod Program up to Level 3 makes it last for 6 whole seconds with a 25 second cooldown. I guess that’s technically a better investment of coverage versus cooldown time... Technically. This P. Shield might be useful on harder difficulties in which most everything nearly or will one shot 9S or 2B. But otherwise, this game gives us a dodge that can be spammed non-stop with no cooldown and is lousy with i-frames.

Yeah the P-Shield is pretty garbage(except for one specific thing in the DLC I found it useful for). The M-Shield however is really handy for a couple of bosses since it lets you continue to attack while they fart massive amounts of projectiles at you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Keep it in your tiny pants a little longer, Nines. It's almost murder time again.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

RatHat posted:

The Gatling Pod upgrade makes the first shot do extra damage(and you can tap it to rapid fire them) and also lets the pod "charge" up to 3(?) explosive shots which are fired when you let go of the button(so they don't work with the tap strategy).
The Missile Pod upgrade lets the pod charge a explosive mortar attack around yourself(charge rate seems to be one round of mortars for every missile barrage).

Also worth noting that upgrading the pods also increases the damage of the programs equipped on them.

Yeah the P-Shield is pretty garbage(except for one specific thing in the DLC I found it useful for). The M-Shield however is really handy for a couple of bosses since it lets you continue to attack while they fart massive amounts of projectiles at you.

I'm not the only one who found the P-Shield and M-Shield desciptions highly confusing, right?

The M-Shield "Blocks projectile attacks" while the P-Shield "blocks melee attacks."

It could be said that the M-Shield blocks Missile attacks and the P Shield blocks Physical attacks, but instead the description seems calculated to refer to them in the most confusing way possible.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:yokotaro:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

I'm not the only one who found the P-Shield and M-Shield desciptions highly confusing, right?

The M-Shield "Blocks projectile attacks" while the P-Shield "blocks melee attacks."

It could be said that the M-Shield blocks Missile attacks and the P Shield blocks Physical attacks, but instead the description seems calculated to refer to them in the most confusing way possible.

Magic and Physical, seems pretty simple honestly.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's been 7000 years, and the technology for building stuff didn't disappear during the first game, the people just weren't told about it.

Also, a lot can be built and destroyed and built again in seven thousand years. And I like the environments anyway.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm of the mind that it's also for thematic reasons given that humanity and what it means to be human is brought up in practically every other line in this game. Makes sense that you'd want human-made ruins as your environments in that case. Might be reading a bit too much into it but it makes sense to me.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Hey look at this thing i got today

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Mine came too actually:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Momomo posted:

Mine came too actually:

Dang, thanks for the reminder. I totally forgot about ordering one of those and managed to buy one just now, apparently 90 minutes before the order period closed for good.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

SpookyLizard posted:

Momomo posted:

Mine came too actually:

Please tell me they're making Cruel Oath and Virtuous Contract versions on purpose.

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015
Whoah, whoah, whoah, hold the phone. Who made those shirts, when did they make them, and where can I get them?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

pulsor93 posted:

Whoah, whoah, whoah, hold the phone. Who made those shirts, when did they make them, and where can I get them?

White version
Dark version

Looks like they're on sale for another week and a bit.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The physical and ranged shields are pretty much essential on Very Hard but they're equally useless on Hard as Normal, particularly if you were to get them at the point TDI is at now.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
World is a gently caress indeed.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno, $30+ for a t-shirt is a bit much, but on the other hand I Am Trash YoRHa is pretty good, just not sure it's $30 good

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That link has them for only 16 a piece, so it was only 20 for me overall which is pretty good.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXXX: Traveling Fast

Fun fact: I fudged the last couple updates. You cannot actually get Ending N until returning to the village the first time because not everyone spawns for 9S to murder during the initial flag waving introductory sequence. I just needed a good chapter break point. :ssh:

Anyway, let’s get back on track. And by that, I mean hastily skip past several upcoming events because both narratively and mechanically, absolutely nothing new happens except for maybe this conversation...

Music: Grandma (Destruction)

Operator to 9S. I have bad news and I have good news. Bad first—we’ve confirmed the presence of two Goliath-class heavy-weapon enemies.
TWO of them!?
Now the good news. We’ve used your previous Goliath combat data to analyze the enemy... And it seems we have identified a weakness. Command has modified a firing unit based on this new intel. It’s been installed on a pair of flight units that are heading your way.
That’s YoRHa R&D for you!
Check your map data. Operator out.
Thanks, Operator!
<disconnects>
2B! Command is deploying new flight units for us! They just sent the coordinates, so let’s get going.
On it.

Previously this seemed like quite the crisis for our plucky androids. But we kinda already know how this pans out so the impact of the threat is kinda dampened.

As before, we need to rush to the top of the building where 9S and 2B first set down in the City Ruins. As previously, Engels isn’t keen on letting androids put an end to their building punching party.

Music: Grandma (Destruction - Vocal)

There’s absolutely nothing different involved in this battle. Even 9S’s hacking doesn’t really save much of any time overall. Given we’re now 10 levels over this Engels, it’s more efficient to just pelt him with Pod fire and Programs and go for some quick melee when it slams its arms into the building than hacking.

Since we already did the Machine Examination questline in Route A, 9S just straight murders this Engels this go around instead of severely damaging it for some melancholy chatter on the ways of the world before it passes away. RIP Friendly Engels Unit.

Let’s keep it moving here. On to the flight units and the second round of this boss rush with Engels #2.

Guess what? It’s 100% the same fight. Except this time we’ve got three Pods that all can use their missile barrage in succession, making even more of a joke of a fight. Hacking is outright a waste of the time considering how much DPS just flight unit fire and melee attacks, along with regular missile barrages, puts out in the same amount of time as a hack.

Before we finish up our time trashing these Engels twins a second time over, it's worth mentioning there is a second way of dealing with these fiends. Perhaps, not the most effective or dramatic way but...

Both of the Engels units are present on the ground before their proper boss fights are triggered and it is actually possible to attack them from the ground. They aren't actually programmed for defending themselves in this situation as they busy themselves swinging at the air, roaring and shuffling about a bit for show.

It takes a good 3-5 minutes of just plinking away with the Pod A's Gatling or Pod C's Missiles (we have to hit the body and Pod B, even upgraded, doesn't have the reach) and the Engels unit can actually be destroyed from the ground. The game will even acknowledge this feat with a radio call of congratulations! I don't know who is supposed to be speaking. It's not the Commander, the Operators or Anemone. I guess it's supposed to be implied other YoRHa units were helping out and not just 2B and 9S doing all the work.

Thanks for the backup.

We even get a nice reward package for our efforts, including a quite nice and compact Offensive Heal +3 Chip (gain health from attacking enemies. Become invincible in shumup segments.)

The same method can be applied to the second Engels unit. Just tape the button down for a few minutes and grab a snack to gain an easy victory.

Thanks. We owe you one.

Once more 9S gets another care package for exploiting flaws in boss machine's AI and circumventing a proper battle. The only real downside to all of this is we don't get to hear the vocal version of Grandma (Destruction) since that only kicks in during the fight proper.

2B and 9S still need to climb to the rooftops and retrieve their flight units to end this scenario. All events converge here, regardless of whether the Engels units were destroyed on the ground or in the air.

Music: ENDS

Target enemies offline. That should do it for the Goliaths.
Phew... Other than that one building getting damaged, it looks like we managed to take care of this with minimal losses for on—

INITIATING SURPRISEMOTHERFUCKERS.EXE

...That doesn’t sound great.
This is Operator 6O. Umm... what the heck did you guys do down there!? That Goliath unit’s enemy vibrations are growing in intensity. It’s resonating in tandem with the area beneath the combat zone! Also it is broadcasting “get ****ed androids” on all frequencies?
That’s probably bad.
Mhm...

Well... at least we weren’t the cause of the explosion this time, right?
If you say so.

Did we still have that tacky Alien Alert emergency message in the Bunker’s system? I know it’s been hundreds of years, but we really need to have a word with R&D about getting that updated.

...Oh hell. I forgot all about the alien symbol. What we’re we even thinking with that warning logo design update? I can’t believe something that tacky ever got approved. Good grief...

Music: Rays of Light (Quiet)

Alright, that’s one crisis averted... kinda. Even if it wrecked a quarter of the region. Say goodbye to the pre-crater version of the City Ruins. We’re never seeing that version of the City Ruins again in this LP! There is a Route C to NieR: Automata. It’s not what you think it might be.

For the first time in centuries, we’ve intercepted a signal belonging to the aliens. In case you’ve forgotten, these are the creatures in direct command of the machine lifeforms on this planet in the proxy war we’ve been in for numerous millennia. If we can destroy them, we can end this long and arduous war once and for all! Our intel team is analyzing the signal, but you know how that goes. We’ll need boots on the ground to jump at this chance and investigate. All YoRHa units are hereby ordered to prioritize data collection above all else. ...Glory to mankind. <disconnects>
Huh... Do you think that means we’ll get some back-up for this assignment?
Do we ever?
It can’t hurt to be optimistic, ya know?
Repeated disappointment can bring its own pain. You should know that.

Let’s press onward towards the crater. The City Ruins has become significantly more dangerous this mid-game area revision go around. Medium Flyers, suicide flyers, those awful electric worm bots and even Goliath Bipeds are all randomly roaming around the City Ruins now alongside the usual increased spawns of Biped and Medium Biped machines. So that’s fun.

The crater itself is now CRAZY dangerous with multiple Goliath Bipeds hanging out with worms and respawning mobs of angry littler machines bringing up the rear. If we didn’t have to specifically go down here for a mission, it’s best to avoid coming in here in general. Like if in the future one of our androids found themselves in a real pickle, dropping in this hole would be the LAST thing they’d want to do...

On a lighter note, the awful Link-Sphere machines can now easily be taken out with a single hack from 9S. That’s the reason I said to just avoid these jerks while playing as 2B. Spoilers: Most of the enemies and quests I suggested avoiding were just in service of coming back with 9S and his broken rear end hacking to sort things out much simpler.

In any case, down in this garbage hole where 9S belongs. Let’s go see how Adam and Eve are hanging. I wonder what poor Platinum dev got stuck taking an afternoon modeling and compiling an underwear sporting set of models for Adam and Eve that were used for exactly one zoomed out 45 second cutscene.

Music: Widespread Illness (Quiet)

That’s because it’s a cave, 9S.

Enemies have buffed up since the last trek through the mines leading to the mothership and a few of the spider-like machines we saw back in the Abandoned Factory in Route A have migrated down here since then. Otherwise, it’s a largely uneventful bout of spelunking.

Alien status...? Still giant penises.

...Also still dead. That too, I suppose.

...I have no idea what I’m supposed to be looking at? Did you smear grease all over the window?
These are alien motherships, 2B.
OK? Don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those so I’ll take your word on it.
Yoo-hoo!

Music: End of the Unknown (Quiet)

Eve, it’s been like an hour in-game since we last saw you. You managed to get all inked up really quickly, my guy. I’m disappointed we never come upon a surly biker looking machine tattoo artist anywhere in the game.

2B! Look out! I don’t know why we split up like this...
My name is Adam.
Hiya! I’m Eve!
Quiet! I’m trying to monologue.
Oh... Shoot... Sorry! Super sorry!
<sigh> It’s fine... As I was saying, the aliens you seek are no longer here. That is to say, they’re no longer alive. Obviously, their corpses are present. But that doesn’t count. They were wiped out centuries ago. ...By us. The machines.
Wiped out?
And who knows? Perhaps we’ll wipe out the androids next.

Music: End of the Unknown (Dynamic)

This time around we’re fighting Adam instead of Eve. This makes absolutely no difference since they have the same exact move set and this is still a glorified cutscene fight that doesn’t end until Adam is finished yammering.

I learned having one’s genitals out is problematic so we need to wear undergarments. And pants are like double protection for your genitals!
Tch... Eve, what did I say?
Crap. Right. Sorry! Just gonna fight this lady.
Eventually, the intelligence within our network began to surpass that of our creators. You’d probably be surprised at how quickly it happened. A mere couple of millennia.
That is... a really long time, actually.
Is it...? Admittedly, I do not have relative reference points for the passage of time...
You destroyed your own creators!?
Oh, there’s no need to fret about them. They were simple. Infantile. Almost like... plants, I guess you’d say. Just with a bit more of a predisposition towards war and murder.
Plants are literally incapable of either of those things.
Regardless, they held no value to us. But the humans on the moon? Now THEY are interesting.
Why them?
Because they... are an enigma! They killed uncountable numbers of their own kind, and yet loved in equal measure! It’s fascinating, don’t you think? What could possibly drive such behavior?
Plus they have those like moving drawing videos that are like... incredibly awesome! Man I watched like ALL of those the other day. Like one has this strong guy whose hair turns yellow when he’s fighting and he throws fi—
Eve...
Right... Sorry!
We have dedicated ourselves to unraveling their riddle of humanity... And now we will allow you to assist us. You were made in their image, after all.
Assist you with what!?
It’s simple. We need you to locate the humans on the moon and bring them to us. We will then dissect and analyze them in order to drag their secrets forth into the light! Surely you see the attraction in this.
Are you insane!? We’d never do that! Can you believe this, 2B? This guy is bonkers!
Hah! “Bonkers”... that’s a funny word.
Well, I suppose this concludes negotiations. The only remaining option... is to destroy you. The same way we destroyed these pathetic little aliens.

The only noteworthy part of this match against Adam is that the Machine Men remain at Level 16 while 9S is pushing past Level 40. As such, he can outright kill Adam during this battle. Unfortunately, that doesn’t result in a different ending or anything. Adam is still connected to the Machine Network, after all and is still immortal. 9S just receives a load of experience points and Adam will respawn after a second or two. His monologue will not be interrupted in any way.

Time grows short. This here... this is the fate that befell our creators.
As for your beloved humans... I guess we’ll see, won’t we?
Psst... Did I do the cool line right, Adam?
It was acceptable.
We teleport away now right?
<sigh> Yes, that’s right, Eve...

And that’s all for our second encounter with Adam and Eve. Not a drat thing new. Don’t worry, the third encounter will be much different in Route B considering 9S was crucified behind a brick wall for the duration of that fight. But that’s for another day. Let’s get the hell out of here and claim our real prize.

Say goodbye to the Alien Mothership, by the way. This is the last time we’ll ever have a reason to set foot in here for the rest of the LP. There’s no story beats, sidequest nor even hidden goodies in here. It’s a completely useless room following this rematch. Rest in Piss, Dicklings.

As soon as we exit the caverns, trusty Jackass is here with the new Access Point and restoration of the Fast Travel system. Which is good because about a dozen sidequests are about to open up all across the land for us to tackle.

But before we can initiate any of that, duty calls in the form of returning to the Bunker to report our findings. As this Chapter closes, we get the solitary bit of new material it has to offer as 9S beams up into space...

”I killed my father.”

“I killed my mother.”

“I killed my father.”
“I killed my mother.”

And in his hand, he coldly gripped... Both the joy of growing up. And the agony of being alone.

Video: Episode 80 Highlight Reel

Video: Shmups Are For Chumps

Alien Mothership Concept Art – Seems like a cramp space for a bunch of dicks.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 16, 2017

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
I recommend watching the Highlight video. It has something the screenshots do not. Keep a sharp eye out.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So wait, was Beepy's ascension what prompted the machines to rise up and destroy their phallic overlords?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So uh, I guess you're not going to show what happens if you kill both Engels on foot instead of doing the set boss fights for them?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

MisterFuzzles posted:

I recommend watching the Highlight video. It has something the screenshots do not. Keep a sharp eye out.

I must've missed it. What are you referring to?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Eopia posted:

So uh, I guess you're not going to show what happens if you kill both Engels on foot instead of doing the set boss fights for them?

Wait something unique happens?

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
The last storytime bit sounds more like a prototype for a weapon story.

Absum
May 28, 2013

The Dark Id posted:

Fun fact: I fudged the last couple updates. You cannot actually get Ending N until returning to the village the first time because not everyone spawns for 9S to murder during the initial flag waving introductory sequence. I just needed a good chapter break point. :ssh:

Well that explains why I had to kill the entire village three times when trying to get this ending (gently caress).

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

MisterFuzzles posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about. Oh... right. poo poo.

Eopia posted:

Forgot all about doing that. I'll update the err... update later.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 31, 2017

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
gently caress YOU WORMS! Goddamn was I ever happy when I got to this point and could just have 9S blow them up with his mind (or something close enough).

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.

The Dark Id posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Watch really closely when the shirtless duo teleport out

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

MisterFuzzles posted:

Tyler Durden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

MisterFuzzles posted:

Oh, that.

To others: It's at the moment where the camera cuts to 9S and 2B, 9:17 of the video, not the beginning of the teleport. Look to the left.

• Locked thread