Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also places still have menus on display and advertised. Are there literally any cases of restaurant surge pricing enabled by QR codes?

Some "trendy" restaurants have scannable QR codes only. I know this because my boomer parents were bitching about one such restaurant and neither of them have smartphones, apparently it was a whole event just to get a paper menu list.

Edit: not in US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

amex confirmed cryptocoin

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

so this restaurant will accept a personal check but not a visa or mastercard?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's incredibly handy for not having to queue up for your order or try to flag down a waiter, and a huge relief for the socially anxious or just really can't handle that bullshit right now. Just scan the thing, hit the buttons, done, your food arrives when it's ready.

I especially love how every QR code in every restaurant redirects to a bespoke fly-by-night app. That's great. I like having to explain to my older relatives how to use a QR code every time. Oh! But by far my favourite thing about them is that you can't ask anyone about allergen information before you order something and instead you have to try and find it hidden somewhere in some bullshit website

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Realistically, how many people who can afford to go to a halfway fancy restaurant don't have a smartphone? They're so cheap on contract that it's more effort and inconvenience to not have one at all.

That isn't necessarily a point in favour of ditching paper menus, just that you probably aren't losing that many potential customers by switching to a QR code at this point, even with the downsides that come with it, because almost everyone will just roll their eyes and get on with it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

PhazonLink posted:

it probably is the printing cost , but imo they should still physical menus because lol we should minimize phone interactions as much as possible.

Yes, this. It’s real sad when you go out with people you like and you all mainly sit on your phone. Phones do a lot for us, but I’m in Florida where hurricane Ian was a direct hit and man… it sure was kinda nice in a way to not have them working. Actually talked to my neighbors. Kinda made me realize that phones suck too.

*posted from Awful App*

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://twitter.com/BitcoinMagazine/status/1577250250917433345?t=yUxd9SHbvFQUa1TYvL61Cw&s=19

This is good for bitcoin because

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Because it's not even true, lmao.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Paladinus posted:

Because it's not even true, lmao.

Lol ya i know its good for some really hot hot takes

Edit: reading the replies good lord its a spicy day today

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

so this restaurant will accept a personal check but not a visa or mastercard?

they probably lost their merchant account due to scamming customers. this happens and credit companies will cut your rear end off...this is meant to protect customers...but on bitcoin the world of scams is WIDE OPEN!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Squibbles posted:

Wow you guys are living in the future. Admittedly I haven't gotten out to restaurants much since COVID but the ones I have seen with QR codes just take you to the website with a static menu. No ordering capabilities or anything.

Yeah, this is 90% at least of the places I've been to, here in Chicago as well as traveling. It just opens the menu page on their website.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

My girlfriend is Gen X and it was really funny to see her get excited about scanning a QR code on her phone for the first time, expecting something really cool to happen and then it just goes to a webpage, lol.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Edmund Sparkler posted:

My girlfriend is Gen X and it was really funny to see her get excited about scanning a QR code on her phone for the first time, expecting something really cool to happen and then it just goes to a webpage, lol.

web2.0 is a scam. it's just a nicer wrapper on the same old geocities page.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’ve never seen a QR code menu that didn’t work like complete poo poo. I hate the future.

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005
That one birthday when I drunkenly made my entire $300 japanese steakhouse meal as a to-go order because the qr code app interface was poo poo, and my meal sat for an hour under a heat lamp while everyone else ate still makes me mad almost 2 years later.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

inputfailed posted:

That one birthday when I drunkenly made my entire $300 japanese steakhouse meal as a to-go order because the qr code app interface was poo poo, and my meal sat for an hour under a heat lamp while everyone else ate still makes me mad almost 2 years later.

BWM

hey you ever hear about cryptocoins? I got some in my van.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

feedmegin posted:

But, um. There are always going to be situations you need one. I was on holiday in the US and went to one of those restaurants, and having a non-American phone I didn't have a US cell contract and thus wasn't online. So, I had to ask for a paper menu. Not sure how that works if they're switching up the prices every 5 seconds.

Lately I've found that the paper menu will say "Beer: $7" and then the check comes and it lists "Beer: $8" because they raised prices but didn't update all the menus.

I know I really ought to fight about it, because it's pretty hosed, but if I have enough $7$8 beers I don't care enough to raise a fuss.

edit: also lol at the guy busting into the thread to imply that the racist tech people will raise the prices for table 6 because there's a black family sitting there... not the restaurant owners, but the engineer at a software company in Ohio that runs the online ordering system for the restaurant. Will the perfidy of computer touchers never cease? Did they implement it with computer vision & cameras in the restaurant, or is there just a "MINORITIES" button on the register screen?

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 5, 2022

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

BWM

hey you ever hear about cryptocoins? I got some in my van.

The threat of a chargeback got me out of paying... I keep telling myself the servers probably enjoyed that wagyu.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

https://twitter.com/indo_crypt/status/1577267181888278529

I'm so glad Russia decided to start a war so they could finally ally with THE WEST to defeat the scourge of Bitcoin.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

PITY BONER posted:

https://twitter.com/indo_crypt/status/1577267181888278529

I'm so glad Russia decided to start a war so they could finally ally with THE WEST to defeat the scourge of Bitcoin.

The dude who wrote this tweet has a MBA, guaranteed

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Same

Does that uses an app or is just a website or something?

Most don’t need an app, they do need to be integrated with your pos tho.

https://readytopay.com/

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Victory Lap posted:

So that dude used his ape, which he says was worth 70eth further down (lets say ~$1300/eth), so 90k, as collateral for an 18.5eth loan for a month. He couldn't/didn't want to pay that back in time so he was paying 1eth PER WEEK to extend the loan, and at any point the other guy could just turn down this extension and keep his ape. You did this to yourself you idiot he didn't even scam you in the slightest you voluntarily entered into a ridiculous deal.
I am doing my financial transactions on a decentralized trustless network so I don't have to put my trust in some centralized BIG BANK who can just turn around and SCREW ME, but here where CODE IS LAW no one can gently caress me over
Nah it's cool bro we'll just make a handshake deal over DMs that you pinky promise not to exercise your rights in the contract no need to write it into the code I trust u bro

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 5, 2022

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

I’ve never seen a QR code menu that didn’t work like complete poo poo. I hate the future.

I also kinda hate the future but I ate out last night and was served in part by a very polite robot and it was okay. I've never seen a restaurant with a robot before. My local Martin's store has a Marty though. He doesn't talk and I sometimes feel a little bad for him.

Well that's my robot story thanks for listening.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Square has a Menu Site builder that has integrated payments built into it.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

edit: also lol at the guy busting into the thread to imply that the racist tech people will raise the prices for table 6 because there's a black family sitting there... not the restaurant owners, but the engineer at a software company in Ohio that runs the online ordering system for the restaurant. Will the perfidy of computer touchers never cease? Did they implement it with computer vision & cameras in the restaurant, or is there just a "MINORITIES" button on the register screen?
AI-driven dynamic pricing per customer would invariably do it :v:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I also kinda hate the future but I ate out last night and was served in part by a very polite robot and it was okay. I've never seen a restaurant with a robot before. My local Martin's store has a Marty though. He doesn't talk and I sometimes feel a little bad for him.

I went to a revolving sushi restaurant and some little robot with its own theme music rolled up to us and gave us our food and it was really adorable for me.

QR codes menus can suck it though. I’m all for digital menus but these websites are done so poorly that navigating them is a waste of time compared to laminated paper.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why the hell do we need real time surge pricing, that poo poo should be banned, at atleast crippled to updates only every 60 mins or so.

same with high frequency trading for stonks and other fin poo poo. humans dont live on nano or micro second time scales.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Squibbles posted:

Wow you guys are living in the future. Admittedly I haven't gotten out to restaurants much since COVID but the ones I have seen with QR codes just take you to the website with a static menu. No ordering capabilities or anything.

Most pubs I've been to in London have an app for the ordering.

Then you go to the bar 20 minutes later to ask why you didn't get your drinks and they grab a wad of printed receipts to find your stuff. (Okay, they were understaffed that time, it usually works well.)

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

That bar that had constantly changing drink prices, based on availability and demand or whatever. loving libertopia. :cool:

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
good news everyone Nexo has increased their offer to 2500 for nexo.us domain

get hosed crypto people you will never take my name

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I went to a hot pot place where the food came on a robot but a server still came to put it on the table. basically it was a cart that the server didn't have to push

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

syntaxfunction posted:

In the real world there's all sorts of protections for this. I have no idea what the hell cryptobros would do.
Angrily post about it on Twitter, then immediately turn around when they suddenly realize everyone is making fun of them and start feeling self-conscious. Pivot to laughing it off and acting like getting scammed granted them some kind of deep wisdom, insist that it was all worth it to be on the cutting edge of a financial revolution. Maintain that this time they learned their lesson and know now how to identify a scam and that they won't be fooled again.

Then get fooled again.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

nexous posted:

good news everyone Nexo has increased their offer to 2500 for nexo.us domain

get hosed crypto people you will never take my name

Listen, you and I both know that you need to trade on the name of your coin, and you didn't even bother to see if that was my name first. I'm willing to sell the domain, but not for less than [dunno, maybe 4x your annual salary?], paid in USD and fully due before letting you use the domain.

The fact that you, someone who wants to be a player in a trillion+ dollar market, offered such a small amount for the domain is honestly insulting and I'm thinking about forwarding the domain to [yadda yadda]

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Pham Nuwen posted:

is there just a "MINORITIES" button on the register screen?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732?s=20&t=ca6lw2w35ywGL8celzAGGQ

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/reidoNFT/status/1576926795685036033

OP so close to figuring out in the comments why decentralized smart contracts are a bad idea.

Why yes, if you had a written conversation of a bank agreeing to modify loan terms, and then they reject your modified payment so they can claim you defaulted and nab your collateral, you can appeal to the central authority who will recognize your new agreement and force the lender to abide by the new terms.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
If two people scam each other out of worthless e-nothings was anything of value really lost?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

davecrazy posted:

If two people scam each other out of worthless e-nothings was anything of value really lost?

I could say nothing, but we all know the earth is burning like 2x faster because of this bullshit. LOL

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

I could say nothing, but we all know the earth is burning like 2x faster because of this bullshit. LOL

it's mostly ethereum which is proof of stake now, so now it's easier to laugh at the people scamming each other because it's not burning a barrel of oil every time they do it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jose Valasquez posted:

it's mostly ethereum which is proof of stake now, so now it's easier to laugh at the people scamming each other because it's not burning a barrel of oil every time they do it

Bitcoin still uses a poo poo ton of energy, it’s just not done with graphics cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Bitcoin still uses a poo poo ton of energy, it’s just not done with graphics cards.

NFTs aren't done with bitcoin