Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

As horny as Oberyn is, he's probably one of the better people overall in the series

Speaking of Cersei, is she or Jaime the nominally older twin

Cersei is older. She assumes the prophecy about the younger brother is about Tyrion but prophecy logic suggests it will be Jaime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
As does the narrative. Well, assuming he grows disenchanted with her psychopathy in the books like he did on the show.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like the suggestion that the little brother that will kill Cersei is her youngest son, Tommen.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Platystemon posted:

I like the suggestion that the little brother that will kill Cersei is her youngest son, Tommen.

Ser Pounce, bring me her head!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I seem to recall that there was also some stuff about how Valyrian lacks gendered nouns and it's not "little brother" but "little sibling" and Arya - or hell, Sansa - killing Cersei would thus qualify as they are a little sibling. It never said who's little sibling.

I dislike the prophecy angle for Cersei and feel her character is lessened by it, but I will give credit where its due and say that the Valonquar prophecy is one of the best in the series. It is concrete enough that you can see how and why characters would act on it, but also variable enough in clever ways that it leaves a LOT of room for the author to pick from and the audience to speculate on.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Does it actually say valyrian lacks gendered nouns? All I remember is that "prince (that was promised)" isn't gendered. They may well still have different words for sister and brother (or even big sister / little sister / big brother / little brother, like some Asian languages).

Fwiw I do think it would be silly if the prophecy came true and it was anyone else's little brother (or sister) but Cersei's. Because it wouldn't be much of a prophecy if it's just "you'll be killed by someone who isn't their parents' firstborn".

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There's entire chapters about the differences in grammar between different cultures. Get with it, man!

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Waltzing Along posted:

There's entire chapters about the differences in grammar between different cultures. Get with it, man!

I think you're thinking of the British Tolkien, not the American Tolkien.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

As does the narrative. Well, assuming he grows disenchanted with her psychopathy in the books like he did on the show.

Mandatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXrM0uI1uhU

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Platystemon posted:

I think there was also something about her burying all her kids in the prophecy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
[NO SPOILERS] TWoW will be 7,000 pages long (self.asoiaf)

quote:

Okay, I know it sounds like a stretch but hear me out.

We've all been assuming this whole time that George is just taking forever to write Winds, and people will blame fame or the TV show or whatever. But for me thay just doesn't add up. From 1998 to 2000 George wrote 424,000 words of ASoS, which was 1,128 pages long.

He did this all as a working class writer struggling to make a living.

You expect me to believe that with twenty more years of experience under his belt, and practically unlimited free time he's gotten slower!? No. We're all fools. George has been writing at LEAST as fast as in 1999 if not faster. This means that assuming a pace of 212,000 words per year, or 554 pages, if The Winds of Winter is released this year it will be 7,332 pages long and have a word count of more than 2.7 million. I rest my case.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Working class writer...
Dude was already published and had worked as a tv writer.
Also, the fucker spent years and years writing Feast of Crows part 1 & 2 after being the biggest living fantasy author for quite some time (biggest in terms of gut/financial success)

Apart from that, this theory has a lot of merit

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
“You expect me to believe that with twenty more years of experience under his belt, and practically unlimited free time he's gotten slower!?”

Yes

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

soviet elsa posted:

“You expect me to believe that with twenty more years of experience under his belt, and practically unlimited free time he's gotten slower!?”

Yes

Yep. I am also firmly of the opinion he junked probably about four-fifths of what he'd written and plotted so far back in 2019 after the TV show ended so poorly too, realising that at the very least, both Dany and Bran needed a hell of a lot more rapid and reasonable developments in both their plots and character for their endings to be in any way plausible or engaging.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think a story of the time before the wall was built would be interesting. The previous attack of the others and all that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rewatching House of the Dragon clips since Season 2 is coming out. I do like it but why is the show so brown. A sunny day looks like there's nuclear fallout in the skies.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

They used the fallout filters by accident

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cuz it's poo poo.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Watch gurm put his notes (lol if you believe he has an actual outline) into chatGBT and just have it finish the books.

Burns
May 10, 2008

At this point it be best if George expires so that Brandon Sanderson can finish the series.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Hasselblad posted:

Watch gurm put his notes (lol if you believe he has an actual outline) into chatGBT and just have it finish the books.

He's been pretty clear he's a seat of his pants kinda writer. I have no doubt he has lots of setting notes and I'm sure he writes a few ideas in advance but he definitely has no real outline.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Ravenson posted:

He's been pretty clear he's a seat of his pants kinda writer. I have no doubt he has lots of setting notes and I'm sure he writes a few ideas in advance but he definitely has no real outline.

Not A List:
- Boobs
- Add more characters
- Different ending than show?
- Lesbian scenes with more boobs

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
gurm writes too much sexy stuff. i just read jaime/cerseis reunion and it's gross as gently caress. gently caress you gurm.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Stupid Sexy Gurm

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Waltzing Along posted:

gurm writes too much sexy stuff. i just read jaime/cerseis reunion and it's gross as gently caress. gently caress you gurm.

To be fair the TV show managed to be even more gross with their Jaime/Cersei sex scenes (specially the infamous not-rape scene)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Rewatching House of the Dragon clips since Season 2 is coming out. I do like it but why is the show so brown. A sunny day looks like there's nuclear fallout in the skies.

Dragon fire is radioactive

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Cuz it's poo poo.

Yea it’s really bad

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Typo posted:

Cersei was always hosed up as other said she literally killed her teenage friend because she crushed on Jaime, the abusive marriage with Robert though is what turned her into the bitter monster that she became

you kind wonder though, what if the marriage alliance system turned out differently and she ended up marrying Ned or Stannis or something, like someone who isn't gonna put up with her poo poo but isn't going to cheat/abuse her either

The idea of Cersei with Ned is so funny because there's no way it happens without Tywin being dead, and also Cersei would have had Ned killed within a year. If Joffrey could manage to place an assassin in Winterfell with basically no prep or planning then Cersei - overconfident and dumb as she tends to be - would've found a way to permanently remove Ned. Probably by having Roose Bolton drown him in the hot springs or something.

Stannis would have slightly better chances of survival, if only because he's a pragmatist in the extreme and would never trust Cersei with more power or responsibility than the average servant.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 20, 2024

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea realistically there’s just no situation where the Lannisters see a marriage alliance with the Starks as at all beneficial anyway or vice versa. They had already been sitting out of the war beforehand, and then just sided with whoever was winning. Afterwards the marriage was the way for the Lannisters to make the biggest power grab and for Robert to secure ties to one of the other great houses, even if Robert had already been married there’s not a huge incentive from either the Starks or the Lannisters to unite their houses since the war was won and there wasn’t really any great benefit to either side at that point.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If there’s one conversation I’d love for the books or show to have shown us, it’d be Tywin and Ned. Ned is not politically savvy at all, but he’d also not take any poo poo from Tywin. I’d see them both being endlessly frustrated with each other.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

If there’s one conversation I’d love for the books or show to have shown us, it’d be Tywin and Ned. Ned is not politically savvy at all, but he’d also not take any poo poo from Tywin. I’d see them both being endlessly frustrated with each other.

Honestly I feel like Ned’s honor and Tywin’s pragmatism would keep most conversations short and to the point. Depending on the situation Tywin might threaten or negotiate with Ned who would probably give pretty blunt rebuttals/answers but I don’t see them trading any interesting banter tbh

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Guy A. Person posted:

Honestly I feel like Ned’s honor and Tywin’s pragmatism would keep most conversations short and to the point. Depending on the situation Tywin might threaten or negotiate with Ned who would probably give pretty blunt rebuttals/answers but I don’t see them trading any interesting banter tbh

It's the bluntness with Tywin that I'd find interesting. Most everyone else who "negotiates" Tywin is cowed by him, and I think Ned is too strong-willed/dumb to be cowed. That's the interaction I'd like to see.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Punxsutawney George has not seen his shadow.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2024/05/21/heres-egg/ posted:

THE HEDGE KNIGHT […] will make its debut next year… and if it does well, THE SWORN SWORD and THE MYSTERY KNIGHT will follow. By which time I hope to have finished some more Dunk & Egg stories (yes, after I finish THE WINDS OF WINTER).

So he’s saying Winds of Winter by 2029, I guess.

I won’t hold my breath.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Dude is 75 years old. He has the finest medical care that $$ can buy but he is also past median age in the US. Every second he stays alive he is beating the odds at this point. I think the odds he dies before he finishes book 6 are higher than after he never finishes it.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
He will live another thirty years and spend not one second of that time writing the books.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
He's finished 1 book in the series in the past 19 years. That's lol as gently caress.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Waltzing Along posted:

He's finished 1 book in the series in the past 19 years. That's lol as gently caress.

If he gets D&E IV out in 2029, that’s nineteen years there, too.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
He finished one book but it didn't actually have an ending, all the significant plotlines just ended on cliffhangers more suitable for chapter endings.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He (almost) finished one volume of a book where the first volume was published six years earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Dance with Dragons is 13 years old.

Fuckin LOL.